Comrades 2019

Comments

• Well done Debra today. Just seen your result from Croydon - that's a great result given your breathing problems.
  • Southern Snail, Max: thank you. 1:56 is 16 minutes slower than my PB on that course, and a half marathon PW for me, but I was relieved to come in under 2 hours, in the circumstances. I have lost a lot of fitness - work ahead in the next weeks to regain that.
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    nice running Max and McH, fairly warm yesterday so all good prep. And a nice brucie bonus of a podium finish. All bodes well.

And glad to see common sense had prevailed re the letters. Now we can relax and get on with the training instead.

My next run is the Taunton marathon next Sunday.

Keep running well everyone. 
  • Max, McHilly: well done at the Silkin Way 50K - and congrats on the podium finish, Max!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Darn it a pw and still sub 2hrs - I haven't sub 2'd in yonks!

Well done McH and Mr Podium :)

Good luck in cider land Marty!

Keep on running indeed! 

Crazy suits are on the web SS :)

• Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    Some great running everyone, and congrats on the podium Max and PW in the circumstances Debra.  Just plodding away doing the training here, with next race now planned to be Shakespeare marathon on the same day you all run London, where I am going to try and pace my brother to a sub 4 (he is running comrades for the first time this year).  Lowrez, that means I am going to have to opt out of the dinner in London, sorry.

Agree re the letters, although I had sent mine.  Dont regret joining a club, but I would rather it had been on my terms.

Did some interesting cross training this weekend. 3 x 5kms swims in 3 days, with the one on Saturday not long after my 46km training run.  At least it is the shoulders hurting this morning and not the legs for once.
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    If I wore a suit like that to work I think I would be asked to leave ... in fact I'm pretty sure I would.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

No problems Peter, in fact my friend Goldie1 who did register on RW but who has never made a comment has gone kinda awol; do you think it was something I said? She is running London and Comrades but I am uncertain about her Jamie and Mugg&Bean attendance at this time. I think I will leave the booking as-is; I can't figure a way to adjust it other than to cancel and re-book and this close in I might not get a re-booking. They should be OK if we stump up and apologise that we've lost a couple in "the gathering" don't you think?

I did have my ordinary suit in my boot just in case; this is an American company though, and it was Friday :D I have previous form too in arriving totally pink, and I wore my faster exit bright orange NY Marathon poncho to work on the Monday after that run. I'm sure I've done other crazyness too but its all becoming a blur :)

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

NOTICE TO COMRADES MARATHON INTERNATIONAL RUNNERS

1 April 2019

Dear X,

Please be advised that the CMA hereby notifies you of the requirement of IAAF rule 7.9 and ASA rule 22.3 for all males to dress as Marilyn Monroe and all females to dress as Charlie Chaplin in competing in the Comrades Marathon this year.

No exceptions will be permitted to this rule. Pictures of you in your costume need to be submitted as proof prior to 2 May 2019.

We sincerely look forward to welcoming you to the 94th Comrades Marathon on 9th June 2019

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Comrades 2019 Qualification
    27Aug Qualification Starts
    16Sep
    Goodwood (M) justanothrrnr-Q3:54-PenD
    16Sep
    Berlin (M) Running Rodent-Q4:44-PenH
    24Sep
    Emilia-Romagna, Italy (IM) Peter R-Q3:48-PenB-Going-for-Green
    07Oct
    Chester (M) seren nos-Q4:28-PenG, marty74-Q3:25-PenC
    07Oct
    Bremen (M) Becca7-Q4:28-PenG
    07Oct
    Chicago (M) Mc Hilly-Q4:40-PenH, Slow Duck-Q3:57-PenD(or E)-Going-for-Double-Yellow
    14Oct
    Leicester (M) Max Mladenovic 2-Q3:35-PenC-Going-for-Back-to-Back
    21Oct
    Amsterdam (M) mordo-Q4:39-PenH, Mac3-Q3:20-PenC seagypsy-Q4:20-PenG
    27Oct
    Beachy Head (M) Debra Bourne-Q4:48PenH
    28Oct
    Marine Corps (M) jkissane-Q3:21-PenC
    04Nov
    Soweto Marathon (M) Bike It-Q4:46-PenH
    04Nov
    New York (M) Matt..-Q3:59-PenD
    18Nov
    Mega Challenge (M) TCP-Q4:44-PenH
    02Dec
    California International Marathon (M) Dannirr-Q4:36-PenH
    06Jan
    Xiamen (M) 1owrez-Q4:48-PenCC
    07Apr
    Taunton (M) marty74
    07Apr
    Rotterdam (M) mordo
    07Apr
    Manchester (M) seagypsy
    13Apr
    TinT Fortitude (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    14Apr
    Boston UK (M) Debra Bourne, 1owrez
    14Apr
    Brighton (M) mordo
    14Apr
    TinT Gauntlet (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    15Apr
    Boston USA (M) Dannirr
    15Apr
    TinT Dauntless (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    16Apr
    TinT Resolute (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    17Apr
    TinT Perseverance (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    18Apr
    TinT Adversity (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    19Apr
    TinT Intrepid (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    20Apr
    TinT Indomitable (M) TCP, Southern Snail, marty74
    21Apr
    TinT Unbreakable (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    22Apr
    TinT Invincible (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    28Apr
    Shakespeare (M) Max Mladenovic 2, Fido2Dogs(½)
    28Apr
    London (M) Becca7, 1owrez, thomasclowes, Dannirr, Goldie1
    02May Qualification and
    Race4Charity (PenCC) Closes
    09Jun
    Comrades

Accommodation
    Belaire
    Terry48, Becca7, Mc Hilly, Max Mladenovic 2, Mac3, justanothrrnr
    Hilton 1owrez, Dannirr, Running Rodent, Peter R
    Blue Waters jkissane
    ONOMO TCP, marty74, Slow Duck

Flights
    Terry48
    AF LHR-CDG ArrJNB26th09:55 Ret12th
    Max Mladenovic 2
    KLM/AF BHX-AMS ArrJNB4th Ret15th
    mordo BA HR-JNB-DUR ArrDUR6th08.55 Ret11th
    TCP BA LHR-JNB-DUR ArrJNB6th09:15Dep15:40ArrDUR16:45 Ret?
    Peter R BA ArrDUR6th Ret11th
    thomasclowes, serenos
    BA LHR ArrDUR7th05:35 Ret18th
    1owrez
    BA/VA MAN-LHR ArrJNB7th06:30Dep08:55ArrDUR10:00 Ret10th
    Mc Hilly VA/BA ArrDUR7th Ret10th
    jkissane LHR-JNB-DUR Arr7th14:25 Ret11th
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Oops forgot to add in Bonn for Kitebeast, must dash to work now, will do it later :)
  • Hi lowrez, I qualified back in October at the Frankfurt Marathon, Time 3:19, so just scraped into B pen. Great suit by the way. 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

Wow, that has to be Boston qualifying pace KB? Wonderful stuff. There is a lot more mileage in the suite I think given the chaotic state of Brexit and the multiple anniversaries ahead of us :) My CosPlay taylor in Salford advises me that Gay Ellis is very close to completion - I am now looking at my extensive belly and regretting all the shortbread and marshmallows I have eaten recently :(

Note to self: I also need to put PeterR in for Shakespeare.

• Hello lovely people. I’m back in proper training after a bit of a go-slow (literally) with a hamstring issue. Glad the letter nonsense was all sorted, although I do feel for poor Carol in the Scottish Athletics office who has been dealing with squawking and flapping Comrades runners...

Can someone remind me where and when the London mara dinner is happening (I know it’s a Jamie’s, but which one?). Still hoping to pop in and say hello, but am organising race-marshalling house guests that evening too.
  • RR: glad that your hamstring is feeling better. I do hope you can join us for the Satirday evening dinner (I need a reminder about where and when as well).
    I'm finally beginning to feel a bit better. Still coughing and it still hurts my chect when I do, but it does seem to be on its way out, finally - I feel like my chest is actually expanding when I breath, rather than being held tight. Ran a continuous effort run for 5.5 miles this evening and averaged under 8:30/mile -felt like I was just pushing a bit but not too much. Felt really good for the first time since mid-January. Still some way to go to regain speed and fitness but hopefully that journey is now starting.
  • Hey Debra, glad you are starting to feel better, hope it clears up soon. As you say now the journey begins with a few big milage weeks ahead for all of us.

Lowrez thanks for the comment about my time, at the moment just concentrating on Comrades, will see what the future brings.

Stay safe and happy running everyone.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    RR would love to see you at Jamie's Piccadilly are you thinking of sitting down and eating? Glad your leg is playing ball again. Peter R's and Goldie1;s seats are currently free in the quote below

<<p>
    1owrez said:

London booking is now for 12:-

London power-up at 7pm on the evening of 27th April

Restaurant - Pasta Menu

o 1owrez + Goldie1 + Soaring Wombat
    o SS + Mr SS
    o thomasclowes
    o Dannirr + 1 (maybe)
    o Becca7
    o Debra Bourne
    o Peter R
    McHilly

Latest gripe is about the bustour - I have been ignoring the e-mails concerning this as I was certain I had booked one at entry time, but, now I go back and check my entry confirmation I can't find it listed. So I clicked the link in the latest e-mail from Comrades and it invites me to book a tour, although I'm not sure if I will be doubling up or not. so it lists an e-mail address bustours@comrades.com that doesn't exist; when you send anything it just bounces back, So now I have asked info@comrades.com the same question. Why is this so hard and rubbish?

RR

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Sorry lowrez, I will have folks in tow at London so can't make the meal.
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Lowrez - try bustour@comrades.com - without the “s”...
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Becca, bring them along, they might meet Jamie :D - we currently have 2 free seats - alternatively I think with 3 down now I will now try and book a smaller table - I assume you are just popping in to prop up the bar and chew on a bread stick RR?

Thanks SD, will give that a try :)

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

OK, restaurant booking modified:-

London power-up, table for 10 people at 7pm on the evening of 27th April

Restaurant - Pasta Menu

o 1owrez + Soaring Wombat
    o SS + Mr SS
    o thomasclowes
    o Dannirr + 2
    o Debra Bourne
    o McHilly

• Hi - yes, I’ll just be calling by to say hello, I need to collect visitors that evening.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

Dropping that "s" worked a treat SD, Saturday bus tour booked.

How did you get on in Bonn Kitebeast? Taunton Marty? Rotterdam Mordo? Manchester Seagypsy. We need pictures, especially of the bling!

• Hi there, so Bonn did not go to plan, but my goal was to get my running buddy qualified for Comrades, that we did achieve with a time of 4:12. Sadly our Medals are not as nice as some I have seen recently from the UK, I don't think the Germans are that expressive. Hope you all had a good weekend.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

That's still a great time Kitebeast, looks like you had a great day out, and you got the qualifying job done :) The medal is a fine example of German heavy engineering - I like it :)

I put a half marathon training run in, looking forward to Boston Lincs now, dropping in to Salford for a Gay Ellis fitting on Wednesday afternoon - I am not going to enjoy the result I think, my belly is no where near the slimness required to portray her the way I wanted :( will I feel relaxed about a test run in the costume prior to London?

• Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Kitebeast: well done getting your running buddy qualified.
    I managed an out-and-back along the North Downs Way from Knockholt Pound on Sunday. Still slower than I should be, but felt good to be out on the trail, and my chest is much improved. Now trying to work out how on earth to fit in two or three more training runs to cover the whole of the NDW before race day, given everything else I have booked. And how to lose the weight that I put on during the 10 weeks that I could barely run.
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    4:10 for me at Manchester, so I've improved my time from Tokyo by 6 minutes.  I was on sub 4 pace to half way but my heart rate was creeping higher than I wanted it to and I knew from that that I wasn't going to get under 4 and slowed the pace in the second half as it wasn't worth slogging it out.  I reminded myself that it's only been a month since I've been able to run properly so this is OK, even though I'm quite a bit behind where I was for previous Comrades.  It was nice to see lots of Comrades hats and shirts in evidence.  

Well done Kitebeast and buddy.

Great that you are on the way back, Debra.

I had to Google Gay Ellis, lowrez.  Just how racy will this costume be?
  • Hey Becca, great that you completed Manchester and with a fantastic time too, well done. 
    Lowrez you are definitely going to have to put a photo or two of your outfit. 
    Debra well done on getting back out there, glad your chest did not give you too many problems, onwards and upwards.