Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done on another parkrun location, Cal.  I'm not racing this weekend - I've got a week in Netherlands, and then Rotterdam Marathon is next Sunday.

I had a run planned this morning but I just don't fancy it today for some reason so it's a rest day today.  Hopefully I'll get out tomorrow.
  • Hi All,

Regarding your previous messages about the Gloucester Marathon in August, I'm in the same boat having entered last year and supposedly having a deferred entry for this year.
    I've contacted the organisers (and had no reply 3 weeks on), I've also been in touch with Gloucester Council, Marketing Gloucester, and Traffic Management, none of which have any record of the event or applications for road closures for this year. I'm awaiting a response from Run Britain / Run Licencing and I've also heard from speaking to someone on social media (though I have no idea how accurate this is) that the organisers are in a spot of bother regarding fraud offences and have left the UK for Spain!
    I'm pretty much taking the above to mean there is no 2019 August GCM and so will give up and find an alternative event.
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    That’s shocking news about the Gloucester marathon fraud allegations!

Well I managed to counter some of my all inclusive holiday overeating by running 15 miles along desert roads on my first morning here. Felt great! 

Desperate to run more but I’m tapering now :( Not sure how I’ll avoid putting on a ton of weight - eating less is not an option :)

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - good news on you new pacing career!  Good races will often pay for good pacers.  Some of the not so good pacers apply so they get a free entry.   In Ireland, I can't remember if it's Cork or Dublin but I think they pay €100 a pacer plus one night in a hotel.

Will be strange going back to your job next week.

Hope Elle's swim went well, that sounds an easy distance on a running website but a long distance to swim.

Ian - good discipline to stick to your pace at parkrun and ignore all around you, not easy to do.   Hope the calf niggle is nothing, you always seem to get a niggle somewhere just pre race. :o 

ELS85 - thanks for your info on GCM.   I'd already checked RunBritain website for a permit application and there's nothing there, not sure if applicant needs to have a course measurement certificate before applying for permit, they probably do.  
    Interesting about the alleged fraud and leaving the country, they have several events coming up soon including the FOD marathon.   Do keep us posted if you hear any more news.

Khanivore - you will so regret it if you do put on weight, you can still enjoy your food without pigging out.   Where are you?

Mini race report coming up, had to go out early yesterday and didn't get time to post.
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Shades - to be honest I’d already put on several lbs before I even got here. I’m in Egypt. I’ll try to hold back on the food a bit.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    ELS85, thanks for the info.  Interesting about the fraud allegations!

Got to Dalfsen in NL late yesterday afternoon, and where we'll be staying for around a week so hopefully not as much driving over the next few days.  I did end up going out for just a 3-miler yesterday afternoon and it was nice to stretch the legs a bit.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Pretty sure its nothing,been there on and off for a while but goes after starting running,got a busy week in work so won't be much running which is ideally timed,got a cheap air b'n'b to save me some time and stress on Sunday morning.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Khanivore - have a lovely time.  Just eat a little bit of everything, not as much as you can of everything ;)  With a bit of luck you'll lose those pounds you have just put on. 

Big G - sounds like you need the break from the driving.

Ian - I think a twinge is now part of your normal taper fever.   Good news on the B & B, sensible when it's a big marathon as there'll be road closures which can often make the trip on race morning more stressful.

Report with a couple of pics coming up...
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

The Brain Tumour Ultra 40 miles – 30th March 2019

This is the last of the Born to Run events to be held in on the Millennium Coastal Path at Llanelli and having done the two previous events I felt somewhat obliged to be there for the final one.   A new and much improved race venue at the Squash Club this time also meant that although the course would still be 3 out and back sections the only climb would be at a different stage of the race.

28 runners set off, conditions were good, cool and sunny.   The first out and back section has a turnaround point at 4 miles and also incorporates the parkrun route, my friend was able to nip up to the finish line and get her parkrun time recorded and then re-join our race.   I’m not feeling that great, I’d settled into a steady pace but despite the superb conditions my breathing doesn’t seem as good as it should be, which is unusual as I don’t suffer from asthma or hay fever.

The 2nd out and back section is my least favourite as although the majority of the route is tarmac, this section has some trail, mostly good trail but some not so pleasant gravelly sections.   The redeeming factor is the scenery, the views were across the sands and in the sunshine very beautiful. I keep up the same steady pace as I did in the earlier miles but by now I have a very sore throat, I wasn’t running hard so it wasn’t thirst causing a dry throat

Turnaround point at 13 miles.   This is a plastic free race, which although a very honourable reason means that having to get a bottle refilled adds extra time and also means having to get back into the rhythm of running again.   On my way back when I got to the coast a nasty headwind had picked up and I had 3 miles running into that before getting a chance to turn inland again.

At the next drink station at 21 miles I was able to get rid of my bottle belt which I hate running with.   The drink stations for the remainder of the distance were 5 miles apart which means no need to carry any fluids.   I took a handful of Pringle crisps from the drink station and started the long climb up to Tumble, I’m feeling a little better now but still have the sore throat.  The climb for the whole race is only 1130 feet but most of that climb is in the section from 21 to 28 miles and it’s a long drag up the highest point of the race.  My own race plan had to be to run comfortably to 20 miles and then run/walk the remainder of the race.

One of the benefits of the out and back sections is that you get to see the other runners and I was only at 23 miles when the leader was coming down the hill towards the finish, he only had a couple of miles to go but was struggling and having to walk, he said his legs ‘were shot’ but he was still on for a very good time.  He won the race in 5:29.

The climb up to Tumble is relentless, I pass another runner who is still running but I overtake him at my walking pace.   Finally the path levels off, the views are amazing, but no sign of a red kite this year.   I thought I was never going to reach the turnaround point, but eventually at just over 30 miles I come to the village of Tumble and I can turn around and head back to the finish.    My throat is feeling less sore now but I’m no longer able to eat anything but as I’m only doing run/walk I’m not worried about energy levels although I am tired

The miles passed more quickly heading back down to Llanelli, but not as quickly as I would have liked, do they ever?   I realise that quite a few runners must have DNF’d as I don’t see as many as I should have.

Finally my Garmin beeps for mile number 40 but I’m still not at the finish, eventually I see the turning to the finish and manage to run the last little bit to finish in 8:32:56.   30 minutes slower than I had hoped for but amazingly this is still a PB by over an hour for me as I have only done two 40 mile races before very slowly.

As usual we get a personalised plaque, my 3rd now and I think they’re very special.

Only 20 finishers, so 8 DNF’s.   Technically I guess a podium place for me as 3rd female from 5 female finishers.

A quick cup of tea and a sandwich and then I get in the car for the 3 hour drive home.  On the journey home I come to realise that the reason for my sore throat is now apparent I have a bloody cold.   I’ve done nearly 500 races and have never come down with a cold on race day.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Brilliant effort, Shades - an excellent PB considering you weren't feeling great.

I have a slight scratchy throat again - might explain why yesterday's 10 miles felt laboured. I've been to Boots for Vit C and nasal spray and will take an extra day off tomorrow if I need it. I do not want a repeat of Valencia.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, nothing to be gained by pushing it at this stage, so as you say if you need an extra rest day, no problem.

Well done Shades - that sounds like a tough race with that hill so late on.  Well done on the PB!

Talking about driving, I've this morning been browsing one of the RW mags you gave me and there is a piece in there about driving.  Basically it advises to:
    - break up travel with activity.  Rather than sit down at the services, walk around or even do some stretches.
    - consider the driving position.   Many car seats are designed with the rear lower than the front, so your hips are lower than your knees, which increases hip flexion, puts pressure on the lower back and also compresses the hamstring tendon against its attachment  point on the 'sitting bone'.  Try to adjust the seat to horizontal but if you can't, use a towel to raise your hips to at least as high as your knees.

I definitely think the second point I can learn from although being tall may be hard to implement.  In my car, I can't raise the back of the seat, but a towel may well help for long journeys!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    X-Post Cal.  I meant to say that I was asking for advice on parkruns up the M5, for when I travel to Windermere marathon.  This one on Severn Bridge was highly recommended!
    http://www.parkrun.org.uk/severnbridge/

"Starting in Monmouthshire, Wales, on the Wye Bridge Section of the old Severn Bridge, the route is an out and back course over the beautiful Severn Bridge. The run takes you across the national border into England, and into the counties of Gloucestershire and Avon, taking in breathtaking scenery of Wales and England either side of the Severn Estuary, before bringing you back into Wales. Unfortunately dogs are not allowed at this event."

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I've been having that scratchy throat thing for ages, it's so annoying.  Hope yours is just taper fever.

Annoying thing is I haven't been able to do a recovery run as too full of cold, but I am feeling better today and RHR nearly back to normal, legs are only slightly achy.

Big G - re the driving, are you too tall to be able to sit on a cushion in your car.   I know you sometimes say that you suffer some discomfort after a long drive so trying a few minor alterations might help.  

I am quite comfortable driving even after an ultra, although my foot was sore but I can't do anything about that.  I do drive with my seat fairly far forward so I don't have to extend my legs in full to brake/change gear.   At services I always park a long way from the building and the walk to and from the car really does help.

But I did have a bit of nightmare on the trip home.   I stopped at Sedgemoor for a strong coffee as I was starting to feel tired, had a 5 min nap too then felt fine again and set off for the last hour to home.   But the M5 was shut due to roadworks from J27 to J28 with a diversion.  I've never used J27 so completely unfamiliar to me and in the dark I missed the first diversion sign so after a couple of miles my trusty satnav put me in a different direction but then took me back to join the M5 at the closed junction, but I did manage to pick up the diversion sign this time and it was the most complicated diversion, lots of roundabouts etc, through Uffculme and some other villages a lot of it 30mph, I was like the pied piper I had about 40 cars following my every turn and I think we went through Cullompton before finally getting back on the M5.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you'll be stuck on the M5/M6 for a slow trip to Windermere if you stop off at that parkrun.  I would suggest leaving a lot earlier and choosing a parkrun closer to Brathay if you can.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Severn Bridge does look awesome, Big G. Maybe I'll get to it one day.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I was wondering about the best time to travel to Windermere.  I'll have a rethink about it all.  After the last couple of days of driving, I am a bit worried about the long drive up and then doing a marathon the day after.  The body just doesn't seem to be able to cope with it any more, as in my 20s and 30s I used to travel for long journeys and it not bother me at all!  But I suppose the earlier I get to Windermere the sooner I can start to relax on the Saturday.  If I can't get to a parkrun that weekend it's not the end of the world as I'm still fairly sure I should be able to get to my 20th different location this year.  I'm on 15 locations and have Cardiff, Inverness, Berlin, Haldon Forest and Edinburgh parkruns as more-or-less certainties (Berlin may be tricky), and then a couple on top of that in reserve.

That doesn't sound a good diversion at all :(  On that diversion we had on the A303 they didn't put the signs out until we hit the roundabout just before the road closure, and then we had to go back a long way, before hitting the diversion which itself added well over an hour, as it went through small towns/villages with not a lot of lighting.  Nightmare, especially at that time of night :(    The road closed at 8pm, and we were there at around 8:15pm which may explain why the signs weren't out earlier, but it was very annoying.  Personally, I think they should have warned drivers back on the M5 as if we'd known we wouldn't have gone via A303.  There were loads of people in the same boat as us, even lorry drivers some of who were complaining a lot!  It was a bit of a shambles, really.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry for all the messages today but have you guys seen this?

https://www.phoenixrunning.co.uk/events/the-phoenix-three-sixty-six

They're putting on an official marathon a day, for every day of 2020!
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Loved your race report shades!!! Brilliant read and effort. Well done on the huge pb too :)

i honestly don’t know how you do it. Do you feel the run 20 and then run/walk strategy was the right one in retrospect? What ratio of run walk do you use?

Oh and ‘a quick sandwich and a 3 hour drive home’??? Really? Ouch!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I think I may have fallen for an April Fool's.  I suppose you never know with this running lot though!  :D 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think I mentioned before that I used to leave for Windermere at 4:30 am and with one generous stop for breakfast be there just before 10am. I find what makes a long drive most uncomfortable and tiring is traffic jams/heavy traffic and having to slow down.
    I have driven 185 miles early with a short breakfast stop, run a 10 minute marathon PB then driven home, all on clear roads and in good weather. 
    I used to drive home straight after Windermere marathon too, but that was tiring as M6 busy on a Sunday night. But the alternative was to take Monday off work and then a slow even more tiring drive home.
    Maybe look at an early start and if you want to do a parkrun look at say near Preston or Lancaster way. 

The trouble with the diversion signs is that you don't really know if they're the right diversion signs as they're everywhere.

Ha, ha love that April Fool I can imagine Rik laughing away.

Khanivore - I planned to run the first 20 in about 3:45 ish. My run/walk is just done to how I feel, I can't do that by so many minutes running, so many minutes walking, that's hard.
    Was definitely the right strategy for me as I haven't run further than 20 miles this year. My first marathon of 2019 is on Sunday.😁
    It took me nearer 4 hours to get home with the diversion. 
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - Excellent race / time!
    Ian - Nothing to add on pacing, it's a tough decision! Only thing I'd say is go with your gut feel.
    As I had half a day holiday on Friday I did 90 minutes on the bike on Friday, then Saturday was an 11 mile run, which while not fast (8:50s), felt tough and my HR was higher than normal. Then a 4 miler on Sunday, which felt much better. Might not have been a good idea to cycle on Friday instead of having a rest day, but it's done now, cut back week done, which still came out to 40 miles!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Well done on a good run,especially as you were obviously coming down with something,great effort.
    Big G-love you fell for the joke,could have been realistic if it said running around a lake in MK,he'd have had entries then.
    12 hr day today so no running,will get out for 8 tomorrow,but nice and easy.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - take your rest day this week!   Have you any shorter races planned as part of your Edinburgh plans?

Ian - any more thoughts on your pacing plans for Sunday?  That's a long day at work, if you're short of time this week, cut the distance of your runs and get a bit of rest.

Feeling better today but still have cold so won't run.   I will probably have to cancel circuits for tomorrow morning as don't want to do that class if I haven't even had a chance to run and see how my legs are after my race.  Hopefully will get a little run in tomorrow instead of circuits.

It's a bit early to be thinking of carbs for next weekend's race but am meeting a friend for a lovely pasta lunch today :)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Thats what I'm planning as Wednesday will be another long day,after that should be quite easy though.
    Current thinking is 3:06 pace as when I ran Saturday that's what felt about right.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that will be a good target for you and a significant PB.

I've just done a quick check on the weather forecast for our various marathons this weekend as we're scattered around and generally conditions look good.  I think Cal should have the best weather, least breezy and lowest humidity.  Rotterdam looks good too but I expect even a light breeze there can be felt as so flat.

24 years today since I ran my first, and what was to be my only, marathon <3
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I'm wondering whether a 5 min PB is too much to expect but will see.
    Started sneaking a look at the weather myself the last few days,mine looks ok,would like the wind to ease a little as it's a headwind the last few miles and its exposed there so will feel it,other than that it's ok.
    That's an impressive amount of years,I'm on 3   :) which was your first and which was the best?
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - Wow, that's a long time running marathons! How many is that you have done now? Regarding rest day, had an easy Sunday, got up later than usual then only did 4 miles as per the plan.
    Ian - Nice target and another chunk off your PB.
    10 miles with 22 mins (6:23 min/mile) and 18 mins (6:34 min/mile) today. First section felt controlled then last 10 minutes of second section I noticed a slow down and started to feel tougher, session done.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - Also no races pencilled in just yet. I've got my eye on a local 10k, but it's same day as the Birmingham Velo cycle, so loads of closed roads, so tempted to do parkrun on the Saturday instead with a long cool down, that will be 3 weeks out from race day.
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    For my last two weeks I’m going to follow the shades beginners plan. Was meant to run 5 miles tempo pace but instead ended up running 7 miles as the loop I found on google maps was a bit longer than anticipated. I did go a bit faster than usual but I wouldn’t call it tempo pace :)

Was a bit warmer than expected - I’ll head out a bit earlier tomorrow. I’m feeling strong and the running is going well.

I have as yet to decide whether I go for a 4:40 or a 4:30 marathon. I feel 4:40 will be achievable without killing myself. It’s probably the right pace. However, I am worried I will feel I took it too easy. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - it gives you a little cushion if you hit a headwind in the final stages, so can be a comfort factor, we all know how disheartening it can be to see time slip away in those last few miles but we're just not able to do anything about it.

My first marathon was London 1995.   Best, that's hard really to judge.   I've run some lovely races in gorgeous places.   Probably favourite race of all time was Dingle Ultra and the run I had there in 2010 was the best I could have hoped for, a beautiful and amazing race.  

Steve - not good if the 10k is same day as the cycle event, makes logistics difficult.

On 375 now, 304 marathons and 71 ultras.