Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    McFlooze said:
    What does everyone think about doing a hardish Parkrun 8 days before their marathon, instead of doing the 3 x 1m at 5k pace on the plan?  
    That's my plan for this year. I did that before London 2017 and was a little disappointed with 17.15 I think, as I thought I was fitter than that and had the benefit of taper too.
  • Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    How are you feeling now, Lit? Been doing any running? 
  • Options
    0-3-0-3 B) 

Beat that Lit!
  • Options
    McFlooze said:
    What does everyone think about doing a hardish Parkrun 8 days before their marathon, instead of doing the 3 x 1m at 5k pace on the plan?  
    Just before Manchester I did the 3*1 mile session as follows:-

5:43,5:46,5:52 off 3 min walk recoveries 

Then I was injured etc

I wish I'd done a parkrun instead - it would probably have been my all time PB.
  • Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Parkrun it is then.  Although I have got a rotten cold so might not be that rapid.  Blooming gorgeous day for a run though.  Went out into the countryside from work with my colleague for a 5-miler and it was lovely.  So far this week 7-0-5-5. My legs are starting to wake back up.  
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I've done 0-0-0-? so far this week, Skinny & McF - I have been feeling better and managed a couple of short runs while I was down in Nottingham at the weekend, but I've been busy/tired since then so just not got round to it. I might squeeze in a tiny run before tea if I get some of this work finished though. I've slightly forgotten about being a runner recently because I can never be arsed.
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    5-10-5-12

Todays 12 was tough from mile 4 and the last mile my legs were cooked. 52 miles in 5 days has rewarded me with dead legs, PF playing up and a black toenail 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Mace, this is peak training now, everyone doing London should feel tired now. 

I had 13.5 with 10 at mp today. Went out about 3pm in the pleasantly warm sunshine. Having had a sports massage last night, and run a hard 20 just 4 days ago,my legs were largely unresponsive and everytime i tried yo move beyond 7mm they weren't interested. 10 came in at 7.03mm but hr was a low 153, so plenty of movement on that.

On 205 for month with 5 planned tomorrow  and 22 Saturday  Assuming that all happens it'll be my highest mileage month, beating my 227 in january. 
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    DT, to be honest I wouldnt say I’m proper marathon training. I’m running pretty much easy pace all the time and have no idea really what true MP is. It’s all a bit odd really and I have no intention of running VLM any quicker than that, maybe even slower !! I’m sure I couldn’t get a GFA so no point really in bashing myself up on the day.
  • Options
    mace said:
    DT, to be honest I wouldnt say I’m proper marathon training. I’m running pretty much easy pace all the time and have no idea really what true MP is. It’s all a bit odd really and I have no intention of running VLM any quicker than that, maybe even slower !! I’m sure I couldn’t get a GFA so no point really in bashing myself up on the day.
    It makes sense in your position to back right off on the day and truly enjoy the experience - nothing to prove or gain by being close to your current limit and 26 miles is still a chuffing long way!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Mace, I agree with Skinny. I think Lit ran it with a  friend 2 years ago and seemed to have a lovely day out. London would be great to do and take in like that.

It's how I set off last year. With the hot weather I removed all pressure on myself and resolved to just see what happened as with the new GFA times that just came in, I questioned whether I would get many more chances.

13 yesterday with an attempt at 10 at mp. Whilst my hr was very low (153 average) my legs were unresponsive due to some on-going fatigue from Sunday and a fairly heavy sports massage on Wednesday evening. Average pace was 7.03mm which is still a reasonable tempo.

5 at recovery first thing this morning then.

• Options
    Hyde Park LFOTM 5k today.  Watch is saying 19:15 so happy with that 5 days after the half.  

Time for a beer.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice work, David. So going back to the paces discussion, you have bang up to date half and 5k times, You should really be able to drill your training paces right down from those.
  • Options
    I'll echo Skinny and DT mace.  Just go out and enjoy it :smile:
  • Options
    Skinny Fetish FanSkinny Fetish Fan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    DT19 said:

I had 13.5 with 10 at mp today. Went out about 3pm in the pleasantly warm sunshine. Having had a sports massage last night, and run a hard 20 just 4 days ago,my legs were largely unresponsive and everytime i tried yo move beyond 7mm they weren't interested. 10 came in at 7.03mm but hr was a low 153, so plenty of movement on that.

DT19 said:

13 yesterday with an attempt at 10 at mp. Whilst my hr was very low (153 average) my legs were unresponsive due to some on-going fatigue from Sunday and a fairly heavy sports massage on Wednesday evening. Average pace was 7.03mm which is still a reasonable tempo.

:/
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    ha, forgot I had updated on my tempo.
  • Options
    DT19 said:
    Nice work, David. So going back to the paces discussion, you have bang up to date half and 5k times, You should really be able to drill your training paces right down from those.
    Yeah.  I think I almost died today.  HR has never been to 195 before so I'm pretty sure that effort was at max.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    DT19 said:
    ha, forgot I had updated on my tempo.

It happens fella - especially when there's strava, fb threads, people you've told, and the main thread :D 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    It's tough keeping on top of who you've told! I should keep a spreadsheet and list all my reporting lines and tick each off when i feedback. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Just work to a rule of immedio-lee posting notable sessions on strava and the thread. Simples :)

What is slightly annoying, is when you do a session, especially track, and someone has kudos'd it before you've even explained what it was about.
  • Options
    Stevie G said:
    What is slightly annoying, is when you do a session, especially track, and someone has kudos'd it before you've even explained what it was about.
    I thought I was the only one who found this frustrating.  
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes, that does get me a bit. If it is obviously just an easy run or something then fair game. But if it is some sort of mixed pace session, or even worse a race, then it is frustrating.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    22 today. got out about 10, by midday it was pretty warm and i wished i had a drink. I think a 22 is a good chance to try and be out running for the dame time you want to run the marathon. I started off pretty slow and progressed it. Ivwent through half way in 1.32 and began my pick up. Finished in 2.59.04 which I'd be more than happy with in London. 

That's 77 miles in last 7 days and 232 for month, beating Januarys 227 to be my highest month. I'll rest tomorrow. 
  • Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    That's more than I've ever done in a month, DT. Well done! Legs all feeling good now? 

Am now almost at the end of week 2 of taper and feeling good. Went over to Stratford this am to find a flat Parkrun as per thread advice. Last time I went over there was 2 months ago where I ran 21.15 (fastest time pre-injury there was 19:45).  This morning I knocked 30 seconds off to come in at 20:47. Pleased with that. Can work on finding the minute when I'm doing more faster work. Not too shabby for a fat lass with no cruciate ligament. 

12 tomorrow and then not much left to do before Manchester! Really looking forward to it. 
  • Options
    Nice 22 DT and good parkrunning McFlooze.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    improving well, mcf! 

Legs feel fine, a bit tired but not terrible. I've had to but back on some x training here and there just because life doesnt allow me that much time.

2 more big weeks before a 2 week taper. I'll be running relays next saturday now as well. 
  • Options
    Well done on the parkrun improvements McF. Take it easy now !

Congrats on your new pb (I think?) David.

Kudos to everyone for getting out there I say.

Still all looking good DT ! Just don't kill yourself racing next weekend.

Today I am starting to feel vaguely human after 10 days of plodding through runs full of snot, headaches, weary limbs and sore eyes. 60 miles up for last week with no workouts. Yesterday's 20 miles (in 2.28) was a total slog and had me in complete doubt about myself. So for reassurance compared London 2017 to the London 2019 buildup:

MilesElev.gainAv.speedAv. hr
    Mar-19    267.45 mi    10,992 ft    8.3 mph    127 bpm
    Feb-19    220.15 mi    10,397 ft    8.3 mph    128 bpm
    Jan-19    199.40 mi     6,677 ft    8.4 mph    132 bpm
    Dec-18    196.84 mi     7,768 ft    8.4 mph    130 bpm
    Nov-18    198.51 mi     8,622 ft    8.3 mph    131 bpm

Mar-17    237.74 mi    11,086 ft    8.5 mph    134 bpm
    Feb-17    199.82 mi    8,950 ft    7.8 mph    130 bpm
    Jan-17    164.00 mi    6,831 ft    8.5 mph    135 bpm
    Dec-16    182.24 mi    6,489 ft    8.6 mph    137 bpm
    Nov-16    193.38 mi    9,067 ft    8.1 mph    137 bpm

That doesn't look too bad does it ?

• Options
    What I think is more impressive is the average HR achieved.  You've brought it down nicely muddy.

Correct on the 5k pb.  I'm now turning my attention to some 5 and 10k training and will keep the 13-15 mile long runs in at the weekends but keep them easy.
  • Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Looking in good shape, Muddy! 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

Looks decent, Muddy. A few of my colleagues have been quite rough with some bug which has hit them for a good week. I am very much hoping not to catch it.

easy 6 yesterday and a bit of a session today.