Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Great report Dean, I bet those post race beers tasted good! Pretty inspiring to have a world champion in our mix!

Joe - I will confirm later in the week but I'm most likely going to be wearing exactly the same as my profile pic. Number 1741
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I watched the race Dean and noted something I think many missed. It was that final kick for the line where you absolutely tore up the track.
    I reckon if you had done that from 100m out, you would have been 3-4 seconds ahead. You didn't look as if you were about to tread water like the guy behind you did.

Apart from that. Having won in this fashion, it's going to be difficult for those in the race to know quite what to do if racing you. After all, the way you did it rendered the opposition irrelevant.

And in similar fashion... the picture.

🙂

• Great report Dean - Did you go for the 20 zl mega kebab too - honestly guys, this thing is a monster, I couldn't finish it. I mean that's only £4 , but bear in mind you could get a starter and main for 10 zl over there!

Sounded great over there, I was there for super Saturday in 2012, so I can't moan too  much for missing the masters version, but looking at the times, going for the 3000m was the best option, really high standard.

Joe - It must be amazing getting a gold in that stadium - I felt brilliant getting my too bronzes in Denmark at the Euros in 2017, the 5000m was at a sparcely populated windswept track, didn't matter. So far the World's is just a bit too high a level for me. Next stop Gothenburg in 2022 (all going well) when I'm 50 and that bugger Richardson is still 49 :) 

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    yep ric that was the plan.  the plan was simple, go out at 4.05 pace (65/66) per 400m.  get out in front and defend the lane.  i push on again at 600m to go to take the sprint out of some.  wind up the last 3 laps.  at the bell i had a lead (to be honest i didnt realise Crespo was so close at that point) i pushed the far straight then held some back on the last bend to accelerate off the curve to hold off his final attack.  i had to leave something back on the final lap by not going all in too early and end up treading water. 
    One thing i noticed was the start.  normally im last man to the start.  keep people waiting.  but im lined up early for this.  i stand in front so i can be seen.  when they call us to the line and we are in the gap between on your marks and the gun...i visibly twitch (twice) like a sprinter in the blocks...all signs im ready and i want to get out fast.  :)  
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    simon, yep, the 20 zl mega kebab beat me too!  i didnt know what i was ordering i just kept saying yes to every question.  hence me getting chips inside the kebab too.   
    I agree about the ceremony was much better than the others where is was in some tent or back room.  Lyon was as good though with the podium that moved up when the anthem played.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    RicF said:
    I watched the race Dean and noted something I think many missed. 

Image result for your references are out of control

You should be a pundit Ric, as it's pretty likely no-one on here shares your piquant insight, I reckon not even Dean himself noticed that.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That is a ridiculous pic tho Dean - one to treasure.
    For some reason I'm drawn to the choice of shorts, 2nd and 3rd the classic lycra keeping everything locked down (and i'm meaning hamstrings and stuff as well as the obvious).
    You go for the more classic super light weight shorts. I still wear more parachute style ones even these days!

On more realistic level training, put an hour tempo in today.
    Continuous job, 2 laps threshold, 2 laps steady.

1.28 benchmark threshold, something like 1.40-2 ish aim for the steady.
    Pretty much to plan, a few 1.29s while I was locking down, but equally plenty of 1.26s.

More of a mental challenge than the 10min segment version, as you're continually changing the pace, and knowing there's a tonne load of segs. 

Around 9.5miles all in, so that will do.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

., but looking at the times, going for the 3000m was the best option, really high standard.

I think you would have gone better than you think.  as the race was spread out early and you would have had targets.  you could have sat with Mark W and Rob C and broken 4.10 no worries.  Mark W hadnt gone sub 4.15 for years until that race
  • Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Now just trying to give an idea of how big this thing was!!
  • DeanR7 said:

., but looking at the times, going for the 3000m was the best option, really high standard.

I think you would have gone better than you think.  as the race was spread out early and you would have had targets.  you could have sat with Mark W and Rob C and broken 4.10 no worries.  Mark W hadnt gone sub 4.15 for years until that race
    I agree I could have been around the 4.10 mark, said that at the start, enjoyed my 4.14 at Lee Valley off no 'proper' speed work. Think i'll enter the British champs in August, have a go at the 1500 there perhaps..
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Stevie G said:
    RicF said:

You should be a pundit Ric, as it's pretty likely no-one on here shares your piquant insight, I reckon not even Dean himself noticed that.
    Well you wouldn't have noticed SG because you aren't interested in such things.

.................................................................................?

What's with the picture son?

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It takes all sorts Ric. Will you be wheeling out that beach pic of that runner woman again? 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Dean, this bit I've done myself to a fashion.

like a sprinter in the blocks...all signs im ready and i want to get out fast. 

When you consider the margins at the finish, it does make sense not to just start fast, but to react fast to the gun. That way you can (and did) pinch a good seconds worth of distance between you and the rest.

With 400m to go you had 1.5 seconds lead on Crespo. To beat you he had to go relatively much faster than you were. It must have seemed an impossible task for him as you were clearly not slowing down.

I could see the moment in the video when he gave up (he glanced behind himself).

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    RicF said:
    Stevie G said:
    RicF said:

Well you wouldn't have noticed SG because you aren't interested in such things.

.................................................................................?

What's with the picture son?

I preferred the insulting pre-edit version  :D Naughty Ric.

You are the reference king, so the quote from a cool film, seemed a fitting homage?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

On a more sensible note (!), how are you feeling about Staines10k Ric?

Do you feel like you're on track for a decent turnout? Potential prize job again like 17?

Had a potential plan for a few turnouts end of April all lumped in together, but I realised it was plain ridiculous, the logistics didn't work, and it most likely would have been a few average results (by my standards....before anyone cheekster says my best is average anyway :D:D )

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    On a more sensible note (!), how are you feeling about Staines10k Ric?

I fear if I start with ambition the experience will be dire SG, but there you go.

But a crap race will only be so if I don't learn something from it. My hope is to able to adopt an initial pace that gives my slow reacting heart a chance to get going.

The warm up now requires a strategy all of it's own.

The issues are: Ageing lungs absorb less oxygen. Lower steady state HR means that the products of combustion are dealt with slower. And most problematical is the speed my HR reacts to increased demands, ie it doesn't!

Put another way, in 1990 I became the proud owner of a Polar HR monitor (imported direct). No one had one of these then and I first tried it out in a race in the Hillingdon 5.

Information gleaned? On the start line, adrenaline meant my HR was 100bpm plus. The race started and within a few seconds my HR hit 193 bpm! No effort involved.

As the race progressed, my half trained state ensured my legs went deadish and the HR gradually tracked down to about 175 bpm. A final burst put it back to 180 bpm and a 28:30 result, which seemed crap then.

Crap of that level would be welcome today.

Now my start line HR would be about 60 bpm. I'd start running and a minute later the HR would be about 100bpm, a minute after that it'd be about 130 bpm and a minute later I'd have blown up through a massive oxygen debt - and my HR wouldn't have even got to 150 bpm.

So I need a slow start, a gradual pick up over 10 minutes and then 'hope'. Tests show I have less top end to play with.

Today I did a two hour run mainly off road. The combination of distance, average speed and elevation gained indicated my best result since I don't know when.

Until the wrist based HR malfunctioned and started reading my cadence, it was showing an average HR of 138 bpm. When my effort made me think threshold, it was mid/upper140's.

So, what to do?

Lose 3kg in weight might help. I've bulked up that much over the winter.

🙂

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I noticed something that not even the Polish runner noticed and that's how ridiculous his haircut is. 

Nice Tempo SG, nearly 10 miles round a track sounds a bit dull but I think I can one-up you with 3 hours on the Wattbike in my garage. Joe will obviously come on when he's done 5 hours in a sweatsuit staring at a blank wall then to discover his neighbour has hung himself.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:
    It takes all sorts Ric. Will you be wheeling out that beach pic of that runner woman again? 
    If you mean the trans according to Reg? er, not.

At my age I've gone past the stage where any women with appropriate parts will suffice, towards the view of Frank Skinner, "Lets face it, most women over 30 are as rough as old arse-holes".

No thanks.

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    RicF said:
    Dean, this bit I've done myself to a fashion.

like a sprinter in the blocks...all signs im ready and i want to get out fast. 

When you consider the margins at the finish, it does make sense not to just start fast, but to react fast to the gun. That way you can (and did) pinch a good seconds worth of distance between you and the rest.

With 400m to go you had 1.5 seconds lead on Crespo. To beat you he had to go relatively much faster than you were. It must have seemed an impossible task for him as you were clearly not slowing down.

I could see the moment in the video when he gave up (he glanced behind himself).

good eye Ric! ..my coach said exactly the same. He said he had confidence in how fast i could close the last 600 but he didnt know what crespo could do &  Off the final bend when i kick after 2 or so strides he looks behind him.  Thats when my coach celebrated.

it was a bit later before i could 

jesus simon - the kebab look even bigger now im sober...how the hell did i demolish 3/4 of that before abandoning it
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Ric - nice summary that i dare say a lot of older lurkers will be nodding at!
    Deffo something in that wrist hr versus cadence thing. When mine is clocking me 180s late doors on easy runs it says it all! Itd be a nice idea to get hr that way but a shame it doesn't really work at all.

Ill award a maximum lol for the over 30 comment😄😄.
    But as my pc compliant officer points out i need to qualify it with some sort of ironic comment like "whereas us blokes reach new levels of gorgeous as we get older" (while risking doing more of what you accused me of earlier pre edit 😄😄)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reg - dull as futt. But luckily its a fairly dull activity and im a dull chap so it all worked 😎

Kudos on those hours. Hours are hours whatever you're doing. Joe is an endurance maniac so i dare say you're right too
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Dean - have you done world indoors before? Do i remember one "worlds" in Australia that was just too optimistic to get to travel and cost? Or was that an outdoors one?

Are these every one year or two? Europeans, same deal?
    Is the next world indoor in a reachable place for you to try and retain?

So many questions. And obvs you need to revel in this before thinking too far ahead..but is there a plan to hit pbs at longer distances? Or is that a mad question when you can dominate most people shorter?
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Stevie G said:
    Dean - have you done world indoors before? Do i remember one "worlds" in Australia that was just too optimistic to get to travel and cost? Or was that an outdoors one?

Are these every one year or two? Europeans, same deal?
    Is the next world indoor in a reachable place for you to try and retain?

So many questions. And obvs you need to revel in this before thinking too far ahead..but is there a plan to hit pbs at longer distances? Or is that a mad question when you can dominate most people shorter?

had never ran indoors before last yr.   So have only done the British champs, the euro's in madrid and now the worlds.  im the current holder of all 3 golds in the 1500m :) 

The aussie worlds was outdoors in 2016, but i decided not to go as the field was watered down and didnt want to pay mucho £££ and have an asterix next to it because the main guys didnt go.

Like the elite level the euros/worlds rotate every 2 years.  next up is the outdoor euros in italy in the summer then in 2020 the outdoor worlds in toronto (wife has informed me regardless of form we are going to canada!!)  

Indoors euros next yr is probably in istanbul (TBC) and yr after the indoor worlds are in edmonton (canada not north london!)  so lots of opportunities. Both interest me.

my current thoughts are not racing track again this yr, the training is hard on the body.  I want to train specifically towards a 5k and maybe 10k and hammer those PBs into the ground.  But my coach and a few of the GB guys think im crazy....but i need to do something different to charge the batteries.  mind you when i am given big mileage and tempos every other day i will probably change my mind and long for a nice 400m speed session.    So im spending this week eating takeaways and inhaling lager and then start the proper 5k sessions up after. 
    Although i am at the track session tonight but i wont be fit for anything other than some mid paced 800 reps.  But i have 5 new pairs of trainers box fresh ready to use. (vaporfly 4%, zoom fly, zoom elite 9, Odyssey react, lunar racers) and they need using!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    No Italian european outdoors then?

Definitely sounds an interesting choice to not do any more track this year, we've only just got into April. Maybe you'll change your mind when this exertion has eased down, similar to pregancy possibly (!) get the memory of the hard work out the way, then it becomes something you want to do again (ED - really?)

All I know for sure, is to make sure I time my 5k paced sessions, so I don't post the splits just after you've posted yours!  :o:s
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    RicF said:
    Stevie G said:
    If you mean the trans according to Reg? er, not.

At my age I've gone past the stage where any women with appropriate parts will suffice, towards the view of Frank Skinner, "Lets face it, most women over 30 are as rough as old arse-holes".

No thanks.

Milfkind will be sad to hear you're off the market :D 

At first I thought Simon's kebab photo was Lynsey Sharp holding herself post race wearing a foil blanket.

• ..in a carrier bag 😂

i think I left 5cms of it in the end. Did quite well. 

The Polish guy, Rob, is a top bloke. Did the 3000, xc, 8 and 15. Plus time to sell some t-shirts too!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Milfkind will be sad to hear you're off the market D 

No one will be missed.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    SG, another anecdote involving Frank Skinner was when he was going through a phase of 'Brutal Honesty'.

There he was with three other guys talking to a women they all knew, when she remarked that 'She wasn't used to getting so much attention'.

Frank then said, "Clearly one of the guys here is hoping to have sexual intercourse with you later".

She was horrified saying, "That's verging on the offensive". To which he said, "There's only one verging* on the offensive here".

*Virgin. For our slower brethren.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I like Frank Skinner, great memories of the team up with Baddiel.

Worst ever clip I saw though, was him and Matthew Kelly on a really awkward chat, after Skinner had made some scurrilous comments about the well known police investigation into Mr Kelly, that was proven to be utterly false. Some of our comedians don't half tiptoe the line of scumbag.

In more positive news, that ferociously irritating "quirk" that meant clicking on notifications took me into my own profile, has now gone back to normal on both work and home screens :)

(cue mass deflation in our massive fan club, knowing i'll be flooding this page with even more nonsense, in between the proper runners posting)