Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Khanivore - good to hear you're running well and you sound like you're enjoying your holiday.

Re your marathon, why not aim at 4:35 and see how you get on.   Don't worry that you might think you took it too easy, you now how tough the last few miles can be.   
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It should mean I have the wind behind for miles 2-5 so hopefully some easy minutes at the start.
    I thought,with my laryngitis,I'd done less miles than before GC,but when I've checked I actually done slightly more in the 12 weeks before this than then so happier now.
    300+  is incredible,where are you planning your 400th?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Exciting with all the marathon this weekend.  It feels like the "official" marathon season has started now.

Shades, I've obviously done no where near as many as you, but I find it hard to say what is my favourite too - it depends what criteria I'm using.  I know you're not keen on London but that's got to be up there for me, but on the other hand something like Loch Ness or Cornish are high up on the list, but obviously totally different to London.  Even City to Sea I like as it's a challenge, but again nothing like London!  But out of the foreign marathons I've done, Barcelona is my favourite - a great course, well organised, a brilliant atmosphere, the course goes through a lot of the sights and it's a PB course.  In some ways I prefer it to London as it's that bit smaller and hence easier to run at your own pace, and you just pay the money and you're in.

Well done on the milestone date - that's inspiring to see how long you've been running.

The excitement is building here about Rotterdam as it's in a couple of the national papers and on TV.  I checked and there were 14000 people that finished it last year, so it's quite a big event but not too big, which I prefer.  I believe it's considered one of the better "second tier" marathons, behind London etc.  We've booked Rotterdam accommodation just for Saturday night so will do some sightseeing on the Saturday daytime.  I've booked an Italian restaurant for the night before the race which I'm pleased about - a few of the better places had closed online bookings and were only accepting telephone bookings as they're very busy.   That's a lesson I learned from San Sebastian as it was difficult to get into anywhere the night before the marathon.

I've know my race number and it's 3317 - I think you can track from an app, but not from a website as far as I can tell.  I'm in the first pen, which is a mistake as it's for under 3:20, which isn't going to happen - I entered a long time a go and I must have given them my Malta time.  They've made it clear that there's no way of changing the start pen so I'll just make sure I start at the back of that pen and expect to get overtaken by part of pen 2.  It appears that they have Pens 1-5 (I'm in 1) but also A, B and C at the front of Pen 1 for the super-speedy.

Anyway, I did about 6.5 miles this morning.  Flat, but as has been said, a bit of breeze does impact the pace as there is no shelter.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - your laryngitis didn't seem to affect your training too much, obviously better to have that than a heavy cold.

Not planning my 400th yet, it's not a big celebration.  I'll wait and see how this year pans out.   If I don't miss any races then it will fall around the time of DD next year but as I can struggle to make the cut offs at DD I would probably do my 400th elsewhere.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - xpost.   I won't be able to track you on Sunday as I'll be running Taunton!  But will check when I get home, so thanks for you race number.

Re your pen, most races will allow you to go back a pen, it's moving up nearer the front that isn't usually allowed.   But 3:20 is the right pen for you so you should stay there.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - xpost.   I won't be able to track you on Sunday as I'll be running Taunton!  But will check when I get home, so thanks for you race number.

Re your pen, most races will allow you to go back a pen, it's moving up nearer the front that isn't usually allowed.   But 3:20 is the right pen for you so you should stay there.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-How are you feeling for Sunday? What do you think is a realistic time.
    Shades-I lost a full week of training,but had ran 8 days before and 5 after so 13 runs in 20 days when I'd normally 15-18,the rest may have done me good.
    Went for 6 today,going to be a long day tomorrow so done my smallest run,ended up a nice pace despite feeling really easy,good sign but it should do 5 days out.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I'm not feeling too great :(  Even though I've not done a lot of running, my legs feel heavy/achey and I've also put on a bit of weight.  From that hilly half I did the other weekend, converted into a flat half the race predictors show around 3:30 so I'll probably aim to go out at that pace and see how far I get...  Deep down though I think that's optimistic, but I suppose I'll have to wait and see, although if I feel I'm struggling early on I'll ease off and just try and enjoy it.  I feel lethargic, heavy, ploddy with no "bounce" in the legs, which isn't a very nice feeling!  I did the last 0.75 miles today at about 8min/miles and that felt like hard work!  With the house move, my "snooker injury" and the last few days feeling knackered from driving, it's not been a great 2 or 3 months training.  If I can get around it and enjoy it, that will be the main thing.  If I happen to sneak under 3:30 I'll be genuinely over the moon with that, but it does feel very unlikely at the moment.   
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Snooker injury!?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, yes, Khani.  I went to watch the snooker at Ali Pali for a couple of days, and ended up with an injury and had to see a physio!  Believe it or not, the seats were very uncomfortable/cramped which caused the issue...!
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Blimey! Sorry to hear that. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Khani, it was vaguely amusing really. Getting a running injury from sitting down watching snooker was a different injury to the norm at least!

Young Trotter got a 27sec 5K PB for first place whilst leading from the front (and on his own) at a local race yesterday - 15:42. He’s got Taunton Half and then obviously London is his goal. 15:42 doesn’t quite equate to a sub-2:30 marathon but his half PB does.  He hasn’t been 5K training so hopefully things are looking good for him. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you've got a few days to get some bounce back in your legs.   Maybe step away from those waffles, or whatever is your temptation in the NL. ;)   I'm not saying you've been eating junk food, but if you have, it may be responsible for your lethargic feeling so a few days healthy eating should sort that out.

That's great running from YT and a significant PB, I expect he's doing a 100+ miles this week and probably ran earlier in the day too. I doubt he's bothered about his 5k time and a PB would have been his only goal, he's far more interested in the longer stuff.

Back running for me today at last, 5 miles done.   Combination of getting a cold and not doing a recovery run after my ultra has set me back a couple of weeks in training, but nothing I can do about that.   Bloody awful weather again, sub zero temperatures and a heavy frost not good when coming back from a cold.  Will be cold tonight and then that should be the end of the icy conditions for hopefully a few months. At least we don't have the snow down here.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - 27 second PB at the paces he runs is very impressive!! Also I'm guessing he probably didn't taper for the 5k, so went in with heavy legs!
    7 miles with strides today.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I took the extra day off yesterday but my vit C/echinacea protocol seems to have worked and I feel much better now. I did an easy 4 this morning but it was a weird run - legs felt heavy and I felt as though I was plodding, but the splits weren't that slow. My calves felt absolutely horrible, though! I don't know if they are still suffering from Saturday or if it was the extra day off, but I hope to god they don't feel like that on Sunday.
    I'm flying out first thing tomorrow and will be away from social media until I get back on Monday but I guess you can always check my results yourselves, if you feel like it.
    Big G, good luck with Rotterdam.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck Cal and hope you have a great race and an enjoyable trip. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ooh, and good luck Ian, of course!
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Good luck to Cal, Ian, Shades and Big G at the weekend!
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Good luck @Cal Jones @Big_G @SHADES and @Ian5

5 miles for me approaching Mos Eisley on Tatooine

• H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    What a long time this thread has been going for  :) Shades do you still have / use the 3 / 4 day plan referred to in the first post? I'd love a copy if so, I will pm you my email address.
    I'm building back up my running and also doing lots of indoor cycling, currently loosely following an ironman plan but may switch to more run focused training if time becomes too tight. No races planned at the moment.
  • Cal the Westmill summer course will now be used till October time I'd imagine, it's 75% the same. 

Khani hope the taper is going well, I usually pop a few lbs on during my tapers too

Shades, I'm not sure how keen I am to pace a lot, however I do enjoy it and it gives me something mentally to target.  I'm still considering shockwave treatment again and seeing if it makes a difference.  Well done on the ultra, that's a nice touch the postcard but I still prefer the medal.

Big G lol at the April fool, I would have fallen for it as wanted to see how they priced it!

Big taper/mara nora setting in, hope all your aches and niggles go away!

Was only in court Monday, took yesterday as annual leave and thought I'd best go in and show my face to work today.  Hopefully less than a week to go in court now!

Foot is still crap, don't think i'll make DD now however I'm still considering getting to the start line and seeing what happens

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, sorry I missed you but best of luck in Vienna!

Robert, yes, the pricing was what made me click on the link, and it was only shortly after that I realised I'd been had when I thought about the logistics of staging an event like that!

Khani, what was it like running in that?  Was there sand in the air, and if so was it hard to breathe?

Shades, I don't want to incriminate myself, so I can neither confirm or deny whether or not I've been eating junk food whilst here.

I did around 4.5 miles this evening after a day of sightseeing.  It was that bit warmer with less wind, so it was a better run than yesterday's.
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    @Big_G the sand here is really gritty and doesn’t get in to the air. I didn’t really run on it. I stuck to tarmac. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Khanivore - lovely pics but that looks tough going for running, not surprised you stuck to the tarmac.  Must be fairly hot there?

Honk - I've just emailed you.

Robert - wouldn't you be tempted to try the cortisone injection next?  Wonder how mamafox is after her injection/

That's not a postcard, it's a frameless picture all ready to hang on the wall which I think is a really nice memento, the daughter of the race director does them for all the runners, even with our race numbers for that event.   I already have 2 of these pictures so this will join those.

You must have been like a VIP visitor popping into work!

I do hope you can make DD. :'(   But if you can't they've started the transfer list so you can transfer your place.  If you intend to do that don't wait too long as the transfers tend to stop the closer to the race we get.  I was ill last year but 10 days before the race there wasn't anyone left on the transfer list to take my place.

Big_G said:

Shades, I don't want to incriminate myself, so I can neither confirm or deny whether or not I've been eating junk food whilst here.

;):D   

5 miles for me today again.  Chilly but not frosty and some light rain, can't remember the last time I ran in the rain.   Had a nice run.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Good luck,even though you won't see this.
    Not been a great prep week,director visit today so 2x12 hr days up to now,hoping to escape with 10 today,and little sleep the last couple,hopefully after today I can have a good few days.
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    18-21c here in the mornings so not bad at all. Lovely 5 miles for me this am. Still feeling good. Still nothing is broken :) I’m unlikely to run until Sunday now. Got a massage booked for this afternoon :)
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Ian - Not great taper with long shifts at work. Will you get an easier day tomorrow?
    Khani - Sounds like lovely weather....-2c here this morning!!
    Out the door at 4:20 for a 13 miler this morning, cold but enjoyable run.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Got this back from Gloucester Marathon. 

“We are again getting a run around from GCC & Highways. We are jumping through all the hoops but if we don't get a signed contract by end of April we will pull our support for the GCM and without Trimax support I don't think it will progress. 
    I am worried that we won't have enough time to sell places. I will ask GCM committee to make an announcement by end of April”
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - busy week for you but don't worry if you don't have time to run, use the time for some gentle stretching and rest.   Rest is more important now than a last easy run.

Khanivore - good temperatures there for you.  And if Paris turns out to be a hot day again you'll have a great advantage having done some warm weather training.

Steve - early start for you.  Do you go to bed early?

Big G - that's interesting re GCM.   I did send them a FB message this week, but just a gentle enquiry.   But that reply is exactly what I expected to hear.  I don't think GCC are interested in supporting the marathon.  Last year GCC said that the application hadn't been made with enough notice of x number of weeks but we've all done races that have had to have adjustments to the course and re-measurement done in a very short time before race day.   

Killer Pilates class today which found the little painful parts of my legs that are not yet fully recovered from my ultra.  Hope my legs recover now in time for Sunday.