Taper Nerves and madness

Hello....

Just after some advice on how to quell the pre-marathon nerves and general craziness of tapering. It's my first marathon in just less than 2 weeks. I've done all my long runs (2 lots of 20) and did 13 last weekend. I know I need to just trust the process, but the wobbles have hit hard. Any advice would be welcome... .thank you 😊 

Comments

• Tapering is one of the hardest parts of marathon training! Look back over your training and remind yourself of the work you've put in. Use the extra time you suddenly find you have to catch up with friends, books etc. or enjoy some walks if the weather is nice. Nothing you can do now training wise will enhance your day but you could spoil it. Eat well, sleep well, let the training take effect.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Thank you! I had read about feeling odd in the run up (excuse the pun) but wasn't expecting to feel like a jibbering bag of nerves 😂. I have treated myself to a couple of magazines and puzzle book to serve as a distraction!
  • You'll probably also get all kind of strange aches, pains and niggles as well as a sore throat.............all perfectly normal in the taper  :)
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Yes! Definitely got niggles and aches abs stiffness. Germ paranoia and avoiding anything that could injury me (younger son told not to practise rugby tackles and no I'm not going on the monkey bars with you). Fear when I see the road closure signs for the event 😂  And I just want to EAT ALL THE FOOD.

Other than that, I'm OK. 
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    And stiffness....not abs stiffness....or are they stiff 🤔?? ?
  • Just make sure you don't go filling your days with gardening or DIY because you have extra time and energy! Try and keep the appetite under control until a few days before the race when you can enjoy indulging in some carb loading - and of course you can spend some time planning what you're going to treat yourself too after the race  :)
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    😁 I've already told my other half he's on full heavy domestic chores! I can't wait to get back to digging in my allotment. All on hold. Yes, I'm being sensible on my portion sizes but keeping my protein up as I was told to by the GP......

Treat after the race is chocolate milkshake and it's the start of Game of Thrones 😉 
  • Chocolate milkshake is a great recovery option.
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    In complete agreement. When I did my half marathon race, my best friend had one for me and even had a cool block attached to it so it was still cold! Far nicer than the banana I was handed at the end 😂 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Right there with you. Dealing with a scratchy throat and a sore achilles. Ugh.
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Cal 😔 hope things improve rapidly! 

I'm seriously thinking hibernation would be a great alternative at the moment 🤔 
  • Just think however you do  you will have a PB, providing you finish (if you can do a 20 miler in training you can finish a marathon).

Its your first marathon rather take it easy and try to enjoy it.
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Thank you bigballer.  Your post has really helped. I think it's very easy to get caught up in the process and actually forget the enjoyment bit, and I do run for enjoyment! Cheers ☺