Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I am sure it was the right pace as it was the pace my legs selected. I had done hard session on the Wattbike in the morning and I know I've done recoveries too hard in the past.

You had to go one better Bus.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

Your run sounds like an extreme version of how my legs feel the day after a half marathon Reg. I'd start them at 8ish struggling to move, and then it'd warm up a bit

I was going to say it sounded like the tempo worked you hard, but if you've stormed a cycle the same day, then no wonder!

Even from the days I used to pummel one of those home exercise bikes for 20mins and get off it utterly jelly legged, I can imagine that with proper cycling sessions and proper runs after!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Or (technically), one worse Reg :smile:

How long before we all start introducing ourselves to random strangers with the phrase "I'm (insert age here) you know"......
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    In 2012 I spent the whole summer at recovery pace. Couldn't be arsed to strain myself. Fed up of getting out of breath to such an extent that I simply didn't go there.

After getting roped into the Aldershot RR's I did a handful of those 200's session things and ended up running the 'leg' of my life.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:

Your run sounds like an extreme version of how my legs feel the day after a half marathon Reg. I'd start them at 8ish struggling to move, and then it'd warm up a bit

I was going to say it sounded like the tempo worked you hard, but if you've stormed a cycle the same day, then no wonder!

Even from the days I used to pummel one of those home exercise bikes for 20mins and get off it utterly jelly legged, I can imagine that with proper cycling sessions and proper runs after!

But if Reg isn't you SG, then how do you know?

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    How do i know he worked it hard?
    Cos 840s felt a natural pace.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Accumulation of quite a few runs/cycles this week. The morning bike had 6 x 45 seconds at 525 watts, that put some lactic in the legs.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:
    How do i know he worked it hard?
    Cos 840s felt a natural pace.

I meant your jelly legs after a 20 minute spin on the bike SG.

🙂

• Morning all. I've been reading along all week but after Dean's heroics it's just followed the trend of random SG musings, minor squabbling and chat about getting old - business as usual then.

I've had 3 full days off. First time in probably 6 years. Managed to pass out on Monday night at home, and been on my sickbed ever since. Doctor has said nothing too concerning, and feeling much better today. 10 miles easy effort this morning, and apart from being a bit tired, seems fine. 

Off to the Lake District tomorrow for a week (Bus, did I see you'd be up that way). Will be doing a week of running/walking/activities. Heading across to support Manchester on the Sunday and then will be down in Brighton the following Sunday. 

Written a report on Sundays race for people (SG) with a bit of free time;

https://spragginsblog.wordpress.com/2019/04/04/diss-duathlon-30-03-2019/
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

They are proper recovery run paces Reg & Bus!

Glad to see you are feeling better Joe, bit of a scare! Hope to see you out on the course on Sunday. I am number 1714, will be wearing a green Knowle & Dorridge vest with two yellow hoops and I am aiming for 6.35 pace.

Will give the report a read later, currently trying to fit doing some work inbetween eating all the carbs I can find!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all. I've been reading along all week but after Dean's heroics it's just followed the trend of random SG musings, minor squabbling and chat about getting old - business as usual then.

Chuckled :D
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Written a report on Sundays race for people (SG) with a bit of free time;

https://spragginsblog.wordpress.com/2019/04/04/diss-duathlon-30-03-2019/
    I do stuff.... i just spent 45mins at work composing an email in a dispute with a supplier.
    Can you imagine how hungrily I poured through the email records! :)

Will eat that up later.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    SW - for a second I thought you'd put a cheeky 17.14 5k in there from a scan! Good luck in the race!
    2.52.30 or so aim then? Bit of a random one?

Looked up the old training log, for what sort of session I did versus the sort of long tempo I did on Tuesday, and i fancied the 8x300m off 300m jog.

Sounded perfect - shortish, which is welcome on a Friday, and not as eyeballs out as last weeks 6x300 off 2min stopped.

Bit windy track, but still had some fun averaging 55s  (1x54, and 1x56 with 6x55)
    Dare say I averaged a little quicker in 2013, but i was on the threshold of my lifetime pbs then, and who knows, it might have been a still day!
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    SG - I wish I could run a 17.14 5k! 6.35 feels about the right pace although I might be quicker on race day, also 2.53 is New York GFA so a nice incentive
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Have a good one. Refreshing change to see you haven't adopted chief blagger type fare of the likes of Joe, or me!

• Have a good one SW. I'll be doing the long leg in the 12 stage at Sutton Pk - the road equivalent of the Southern xc at Parliament Hill.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good luck Sunday SW!!!

And in the 12 stage Simon...

Nice quick track sesh SG.

Joe - sounds scary. Glad it's not anything to be worried about.  I'm going to the far, far end of the country on Wednesday - Northumberland. Would prefer to be in the Lakes!  Might still be a fair bit of snow on the highest tops while you are there.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Joe, I swear you're developing into a younger, more handsome version of me.

We had the 75.42 half, we have the massive race reports, and now we have the collapse! We even had the SG style gag about "was the bike ok" (see my comment to St John's ambo guy at Marlow half a few years ago when he said he'd fallen down the stairs - "are the stairs ok?"  ;)

But hopefully it's nothing, as we don't want you emulating the year of pissing about I had!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck at the relo Simon.

I honestly don't for a second envy you at that one.
    I am however hoping we get a team together for the Masters version - shorter and more pleasant version! Maybe see you there.

4 at lunch, for a 56mile haul Mon to Fri.
    SAT OFF

Then we'll see if I can even pretend that I'm going to only do a 13 Saturday with a 70mile week in sight!
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Hope Manchester goes well for you SW; you seem to have done all the right training and have proven quality over the distance. With the weather also looking ok the signs are good :)

Good luck with the relays too Simon; must be hard maintaining the focus for such a long distance as a relay and also also to get the warm up right, when not knowing exactly when you'll be off (unless you are 1st!). 

Joe; guess you have just done so much lately your body defences were a bit weak. The 3 days off have hopefully done the job for you and a solid week of activities, not races, should be just the ticket.

Good training Reg, Bus, SG and Ric.

So Ealing mile for me again this lunchtime. A bit more noticeable wind this time but not too bad and a good temperature for it. Very big field by their standards (50) so expected some decent runners. Start had the usual mad 10 metre dash to the 1st bend where I tuck in about 4th and, after briefly taking the lead in the first straight, then drop back into the tail of a pack of 4. Leader pulls away a bit but the 3 of us were pretty much together for the slight downhill. Reach 1k in 3'14 so 4 seconds down on last month but that was sort of deliberate as I knew I slowed a lot in the final 609m last month. Took over into 2nd at that point and tried to hang on but taken by the other 2 guys as we rounded the bend into the home straight. From then it was all out as the big clock in front ticked inexorably on towards my 5'20 PB. Big effort in the last 50 saw me scramble home in 5'19 (I made it 5'18 but the results are out now and as ever rounded up). Still I'll take a 1 second PB any time ;) Nice to be just the right side after missing by 4 seconds at Fleet HM and today was, of course, the 1st wearing of the VF's since then! Bus, Simon and other doubters; maybe time to shell out on a pair I reckon.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I have a pair, and I'm still a doubter! I think you have to have a strong midfoot landing, any hard heel action, or supination, and I expect you diffuse the effect.

Good pb though Pete. You need to try a faster course, as you might still find you have a few seconds sway on that! I've done 4.56 and 4.57 elsewhere and only at best 5.00 dead at Ealing.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Well hope you're better now Joe. What caused you to pass out? Maybe I shouldn't ask?

That race image you like to portray could be a give away as to a reason.

Here's a pic from the Northern Counties Ferret Legging Championships. 

There's a time and place for the wearing of a flat cap, and this is it!

Though for a blatant exhibitionist such as yourself, I'm surprised you kept it out of the public domain  ;)

Congrats on the mile pb Pete.  I can last about one minute at that pace before blowing up myself, but even at my fastest, I never broke 5 minutes for the mile on the flat.

🙂

• All the best for Manchester SW - judging by your training you've bounced back well from your injury.
    Good luck at the relays, Simon.
    Nice work on the PB Pete! I'm sure you'll take some more seconds off on the next outing.

Joe, glad to hear you're feeling better after your enforced rest - like others have mentioned, perhaps a bit too much stress on the body recently and you picked something up?

A bit of a different one for me today - my friend and I went for a run in the Tongariro National Park which is home to 3 active volcanoes, including Ngauruhoe (Mount Doom from the Lord of the Rings films). The weather was cool, with a bit of a strong wind, but the plan was to head along the Tongariro Crossing, a ~13mi route between Tongariro and Ngauruhoe that passes one of the volcanic craters at the route's highest point. Our plan, however, once we reached a plateau area known as 'the saddle' was to scramble up some of the lava flow deposits and essentially run the ridge of Tongariro. For the most part, we were around the cloud-line, and were clambering up over outcrops on the ridge and trying to run across the loose sediments across the top.

A really amazing run, just less than 12mi in length, but with 1 km elevation gain! Gave me some real respect for skyrunners and those who race along mountain ridges.
    The weather started to turn as we were making our descent, with hail and snow starting - glad we timed our run when we had!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice PB Pete. That's a quick mile.

Matt, I have done the Tongariro Crossing as I think I mentioned before you first went out there, loved it. I just took a detour up and down Mt Doom (easier to spell) as I was on an organised trek. Coming down was good fun.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Good luck to Simon in the relays!

Heading up to Manchester now. I'm number 1741 if anyone is tracking. I'll be on the lookout for Joe!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Passing out prior to a marathon!

I did that once. But it wasn't due to me training so hard I lost consciousness. 

It was a side effect of carbo loading using a concentrated liquid form of the stuff.
    I'd been glugging away merrily and then hopped up to have wee. The combination of my system having to digest that stuff, the lowering of blood pressure which happens when you relax to 'let go', was enough for me to be woken up without knowing I was 'out' to start with.

Messed up my race as I had cracked a rib on the way down.

The other time I blacked out was due to me drinking something more sensible - a bottle of wine. I didn't have a marathon the following day.

🙂

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I've never collapsed or fainted. Maybe I don't try hard enough.

Ric, I think Joe is just watching the marathon, not sure if you think he's running?

Good Luck SW, hope it goes well.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I thought he was running.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Matt - wow, sounds like a fantastic run! Very jealous!

Pete - good work, that's a great time even if the VFs are responsible for the 1 sec, it's still a great time!

parkrun for me today. Last 3 have been 19:36, 19:33 and 19:35. Consistent, but consistently crap :smile:

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Cheers Bus; parkrun is pretty frustrating  a lot of the time. I'm no better than you despite the fact I ran run a mile ok (if VF assisted!). Hover around 19 on the fast courses (like today) and worse on tough ones. Frustrating when we want more, but still better than 99% of v50's. Keep the faith😉