Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Had a good meal out at an interesting restaurant this lunch time, as the restaurant was on the 14-16th (top) floors of a building, and the restaurant rotated very slowly (it takes 2.5 hrs for a full rotation).   It was a strange experience at first though as the inner/core of the building stayed in the same place, and it was just the floor of the restaurant that moved.  If you can imagine coming into the restaurant through a door and then an hour later that door seemingly not being where it once was (in fact, it was in the same place, but we'd moved), it is a bit strange.  Also, OH put her bag down on a ledge near the window, but then about 30mins later a waitress went past holding the bag, as our table had moved but the bag had stayed where it was :)    Great food though, and the views from the top were worth it.  I went for the smoked fish salad, which was very nice!  

The building looks quite ugly from outside, but here it is.  The building itself is a 4* hotel, and the restaurant is at the top - you get to it via a lift which goes up the outside of the building.

https://www.hotelspecials.nl/de-koperen-hoogte

OH is going to Ikea with her mother.  I can't think of anything worse (not because the mother is going, I hasten to add), so I'm going for a run....
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-I'm hoping the next 2 days are no more than 8 hours so a lot easier.
    Big G-Manchester is April 5th next year,and includes some of the city centre so should be better.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Ian.  I just Googled it after seeing your post and saw that the start is in the same place, so I've booked refundable accommodation in that area.  I'm not sure of plans yet but I'd like to do the event at some point so if all comes together, at least I've got some accommodation sorted.  Nothing like planning ahead!!

I did 12x45-secs this afternoon, in no way at all out effort.  It was nice to turn the legs over a bit quicker though, and it was just 4-miles in total.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Good idea,the price of accommodation near the start was ridiculous when I started looking about 6 weeks ago so good planning.No running today,too tired after work so took shades' advice and tested,hopefully get 8-9 hours sleep tonight,will feel like longer after 6 each of the last 3 nights.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I've booked Salford Quays Ibis for £187 for 3 nights (Fri-Monday).  So not a total bargain but not too bad, plus I haven't had to pay anything today and I can cancel at any time.
  • Shades, everyone at work asking questions I couldn't answer, wish I hadn't bothered going in really but it broke the week up a bit.  I should be done by Tues/ Wed at the latest.  The injection is appealing however as far as I'm aware it's simply just a pain relief and does nothing to help and the pain will still come back in a few months.  I do need to speak with my GB and get their thoughts on it.

Big G that restaurant sounds good, if I dont see you at DD hope to see you at Manchester, I've also booked into IBIS but imagine I'll do what I did last year and stay in Altrincham.  They never used to release the date until after the football fixtures, I used to book a couple of hotels over 4 different weekends it was a nightmare!!!

London Mara to go a bit greener https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/news-media/latest-news/item/london-marathon-events-aims-to-become-world-leader-in-sustainable-mass-participation-events/

Lots of good stuff in there, anything to reduce the 26 water stations is good not so much for the environment but for the safety of running drinking too much.  The 500ml lucosade reduced to cups or seaweed capsules also positive step too as so much waste.

Unsure of the belts and the capes but wont know till they try and a few other bits in there that will help.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that restaurant looks lovely, posh too.   I guess could be quite disorientating too, like OH leaving her bag.  I think there used to be a restaurant at the top of the PO tower in London.

Car full of Ikea stuff on the way home then ;) 

You're well organised arranging your Manchester accommodation for next year.

Ian - that's good news about Manchester, I guess to make it more of a city centre spectator event, will raise the profile of the event more.

Glad you've taken some extra rest, hope you've had a decent night's sleep.

Robert - that must be annoying being asked what you're not allowed to say.  I never ask, only the logistics and how many days they were sent home.

I don't know re the injection, whether the pain relief allows quicker healing perhaps.  Hopefully your GP can advise.

Thanks for the very interesting link re London going greener.  Some good stuff there.   They do have far too many drink stations but I realise reducing that would be difficult with the number of runners, the bottle belts might stop the novices taking water at every drink station.  But no runner looking for a decent time would carry a bottle.  I think the other measures are good, only printing the race numbers for those that register and not handing out goody bags.  Since the carrier bag charge was introduced here in the UK my main source of obtaining plastic carrier bags is from races.  I think the capes are a great idea for those where the logistics will work.   Quite a few of the big European marathons now offer a slightly reduced fee if you opt for a plastic cape/blanket at the finish rather than put a bag in the baggage store.

Re bottle belts, I had to wear mine last weekend as the drink stations in the early miles were a little further apart than I would have liked ( 7 miles and 8 miles) but at 21 miles I ditched my bottle belt as they were only 5 miles apart thereafter.   At the finish I forgot to collect my bottle belt, I hated the bloody thing anyway so asked the RD to pass it on to someone else that might get some use from it.   So I went to Sports Direct, they had one reduced to half price down to £9.99, used my £5 voucher and £4.99 paid.   It's far better than my old one as has a good sized zip section for sweets etc which my other one didn't.  I only use a bottle belt for long training runs, not planning to race with one again.

I felt really tired yesterday, so took my own advice and had a decent sleep and am taking an extra rest day today.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - Yes, I'm not party animal these days and normally in bed around 9:30! If I average around 7 hours per day for the week, that is usually enough for me, as get extra sleep on my rest days and weekends!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes it was quite a posh place but the lunch menu wasn't too badly priced, fortunately.

Robert, that's good to read regarding the London changes.  It's one my worst memories of running.  I was doing my first (and at that point, adamantly my only) marathon and having an awful time, made worse my scrabbling around in the gutter searching for half-finished Locozade bottles.  Shudder.

Ian, I hope you're feeling a bit more refreshed today.

I had a nice run today - 5.5 miles in total.  Just took it really steady and took some pics etc.  It's lovely weather over here and the Rotterdam marathon email I've just received has this for the weather forecast, which looks perfect to me, so hoping for no wind.  "Sunday will be sunny with some clouds and no chance of rain. At 10 am the temperature will be around 12 degrees. The temperature will rise to 17 degrees at 3 pm". 

Not sure if I'll have to run tomorrow, as we're planning on getting to Rotterdam fairly early to do some sight seeing.  If I can I'd like to just do 3-miles or so in the morning, but I'll see.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Interesting to see how London cope with less water stations,19 seems plenty but I've never ran in a race with that amount of people.
    Big G-Thats a great price,that was about 200/night 6 weeks ago.
    Shades-My last couple of marathons I've started the race with a bottle,I've had some SIS beta fuel,which has 80g carbs so I have for the first 60-90 mins then just use water,find I only need 1 gel for three rest of the race then and it's done me well.
    Rob-Glad you're just about done,be a shock going back into work.
    Feeling a lot better today,had 9 hours last night which seems to have worked,should be able to get the same tonight,trying to catch up on liquids etc today.
    Weather looking really good for Sunday,9-12° at race time,8mph winds and overcast.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Nice 3 miles or so after work today,more to clear my head after a hectic week in work and I needed a release.That will do me now until Sunday.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done for getting out after a busy week Ian.  What time are you travelling to Manchester?  Do you have to pick your number up or has it been posted to you?  Best of luck for Sunday!!

I'm actually feeling a bit better now, compared to at the start of the week.  I'm heavier than I'd like to be, but I'm definitely going out at 3:30 pace and if I don't get that (i.e., it ends up being too quick for me!), at least I'll have tried.  I've been trying to find a reliable elevation profile for Rotterdam and I think pretty much the only "hill" (in the loosest sense of the word) is over the Erasmus bridge near the start, and then back over it again at around half way.  I've seen mention of 500ft of elevation across the whole course, so it's very, very flat!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Think Manchester's around 200ft so yours seems hilly.When I looked at the map theres a massive spike about 15 miles in,but on closer inspection it's a 50ft climb over a railway bridge but it stand out so much.
    Got a few hours in work tomorrow then heading across about 5,getting the train now as I'm meeting a friend for a few drinks after.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - that's the only downside of early morning running, the having to go to bed early. But it's worth it as it's definitely the best time of day to run.

Big G- looks like you should have perfect conditions on Sunday.  I've heard it's one of the flattest courses, so without any wind you should fly round. 😉
    Glad you're feeling better now and ready to race, don't think about your weight.

Ian - it's important you have what fuel you need in a race for physical reasons and for confidence purposes too. Shame you have to carry it, one pound of dead weight (so that's about a pint) is allegedly equal to roughly 1:35 minutes to marathon time.  Easy to see why races such as Abingdon are so popular for GFA target times as it's one of several races that you can send personal drinks out to your chosen drink stations.

Good that you're feeling less tired now.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - did you decide to pay for the bag drop or is OH looking after your stuff on Sunday?  I know some runners have been caught out by not realising that they need to book for bag drop.  I suppose it's the organiser's way of limiting number of bags to be stored.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I was doing a bit of research so I can write something for the Trotters press report and Rotterdam is actually an IAAF Gold Label event - so it’s a top class event on a par with the majors in terms of organisation etc. It apparently was the world record course from 1985 to 1998 so it’s definitely a quick one. I hadn’t realised but it’s Holland’s biggest marathon, ahead of Amsterdam and Eindhoven.

Yes, I paid the extra for bag drop. From memory it was €1.50 so it seemed a good idea as I wasn’t at all sure of plans when I booked it. It’s €70 in total so not what I’d call a cheap event but I think it should be a good one.

I’m not entirely sure why at the moment but the organisers have today sent an email with advice of what to do in hot conditions. Hopefully that’s just a precaution and it’s not too hot, and that they’re not keeping something to themselves about the weather!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think Rotterdam as a race is more highly rated/reported from those outside the UK.   Maybe the hype of London at the same time of year outshines Rotterdam in the press.   I remember it always was the race that was used for world record attempts.   Maybe when they set up the marathon majors the focus moved to Berlin as the European race for world record attempts. 

Last night  I suddenly remembered how a runner I knew had been caught out with the baggage charge, not reading the race info.   He had a long tiring walk back to his hotel on race morning to dump his kit, he had to run to the start then!  Hence my post!

€70 is about average for a big European race.

I just looked at BBC weather for you, up to 19/20 tomorrow but not until 2pm onwards, so maybe will affect the slower runners.   Good conditions earlier in the day, I guess they send warnings, just in case.

I have a race in Ireland at the end of May, this was the course 2 days ago :'(

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I was thinking similar with the introduction of Berlin as a Major, but I didn’t know when that happened. Also, I think Rotterdam has only received the ‘Gold Label’ status in the last few years as one of the criteria is that it needs to be shown live on TV in five (I think) countries. 

They’ve got some kind of service where you can get an online ‘virtual’ medal where they intersperse pics/videos etc after the race. The race is sponsored by NN, who I think sponsor Kipchoge and he’s on a lot of the promo stuff - sadly he’s obviously not running though. (Without Googling it I have no idea what NN do!). 

Crikey, good news your Irish race wasn’t this weekend!

Very cool and misty conditions here this morning. We’ve around a 2hr drive to Rotterdam and then we’ll be heading straight for the Expo before doing a bit of sightseeing. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think the Majors was set up about 2006.

I see from this list Vienna is also a Gold Label race
    https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-label-road-races/calendar/2019

Don't wear yourself out today sightseeing, you'll have 26.2 miles of sightseeing tomorrow.

Good luck to all racing this weekend

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Plenty of opportunities for carb loading here. Fresh, warm, massive stroopwafels!

• mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Loads of race reports to look forward to after this weekend!  :p

Shades - Loved reading your Wales report, sounds like you had a good race too. Another ultra under the belt! Hope you have a good race at Taunton.

Khani - Fab photos from you too.. what a diverse lot of running conditions we have on one page  :)

Big G - That hotel looks something different. The idea of a turning restaurant makes me feel a bit queasy though (Good job you're not drinking any more!) Glad to hear you're feeling more on form again now, really looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Cal - You're probably not going to see this but good luck in Vienna.. I'm going to see if I can stalk you  :)

Ian - Good luck in Manchester, looking forward to hearing how you get on too.

Still no running from me - it's been 6 months now and I miss it so much. When I'm driving round my old running routes I get such a sense of nostalgia looking at certain landmarks, trees, odd things that I always notice.. Anyway, this week I've been doing some walking and next week I'm allowed to start running. For once, I can't wait for Monday!
    I have no pain at all in my foot, not even when I get up after sitting for a while. However, I don't really care about that, I'm not trying to be a hero but the pain itself was manageable.. the problem was that it stopped me running. My doctor seems to think that this will sort it, and even if it comes back a bit then we'll just give it another injection. For me, if it enables me to train properly again then the injection is worth it. Hopefully it won't come back but if it does it can be managed with another jab and I can carry on with a constant period of training in spite of the injury. It's definitely not going to make things any worse so for me it's a win win situation! I'd definitely give it a go Robert, even though it seems like you are well on the road to recovery.

In my excitement I've entered La Rochelle for November  :)

• mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    xpost Big G.. fab photo.. enjoy!
  • Very much looking forward to the race reports from tomorrow and many of my friends are running SWD50 today as well, a race I really want to do but prob wont happen until 2021 at the earliest as hope to do mt deferred place at Manchester next year.

Shades, My initial thoughts are London are making too many changes in one year, also left it quite late to publish the changes.  Perhaps spreading them over 2 years would have been better and easier to asses the results.  Hope it warms up a bit in Ireland and that snow defrosts lol

Ian, looks like perfect conditions tomorrow!!! Also to confirm that the aggressive spike in the elevation chart is just a 50ft up and over the rail bridge before Altrincham but earlier than 15 miles its about 12 miles also if using the same route as last year you may remember a small for 100m climb then comes down straight away before the decent at 13 miles that you previously climbed.   

Stevemac I too am in bed early, slowed down alot over the last 10 years! Like to say its being sensible... think its just got boring in old age.

Big G sounds like decent conditions for tomorrow, always nice to get the sightseeing in as well as adds to the race experience.  Not a huge fan of waffles prefer savoury but when in rome.....Hope you get the sub 3.30 you're after.

MF, good to see you're feeling positive about running, I'm nowhere near recovered, just doing the odd parkrun and then in considerable discomfort after.

parkrun for me today, was the RD's daughters 11th birthday so she could run on her own for the 1st time, spose a parkrun milestone.  I did course set up and got Elle to print off 11 photos os Isla laminated on A3 card to post around the course.  Only made it bank in time for the start.  Started off too fast sub 7 min mile then decided to be sensible and run around 8.30s finished in 25.12. 

The pain i'm in now seems a little less than normal instead of 10/10 pain probably just a 7/10 pain and I am able to shuffle around the house the little better than other weeks.  No sure if I can take anything positive out of this lol.

Once again folks, race well and good luck/ don't be shit!!! (delete as appropriate) 

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-Sure Isla wasn't embarrassed by her photos being all around the route  :dizzy:
    Good luck Shades and Big G,4 must be about the most we have racing in 1 day.
    Managed to finish by 11 so few hours early so packed and relaxing now before getting the train across,seems strange staying over when its only an hour away but will be a lot more relaxing.
  • ian, i checked with her mum 1st 

what felt like a bit of a sore throat yesterday and this morning is slowing developing into manflu!  thoughts and prayers needed!  :p
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, 4 at different events, in 3 countries too!

Having never been to Rotterdam before, I really like it. It feels like a modern city from the buildings (mainly as it was bombed heavily in the war), with some older buildings interspersed around. We went to Hotel New York for coffee (and cake...) before catching a Water Taxi to Euromast. The Water Taxis are bloody quick, and the Euromast is 185m high and revolves around at the top for a great views over the city.  Also went to a couple of food markets, which were really good - the Dutch make decent coffee! Went to see the cube houses as well and had a look inside one - interesting to see, but even the architect apparently said something about them being style over practicality!

Just back at the hotel now for a rest before heading out for food a bit later. 

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Not an ideal journey getting here,tram had points issue,so they told us to get off and get a bus,problem was  because theres already road closures here no one knew the way,got here about an hour later than planned but all good now.
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to the race reports! Good luck everyone.

Really feel for you @mamafox - hope you can get to enjoying pain free regular running soon.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Big G - I thought it was those waffles you were eating ;) 

That pic of the cube houses makes my head hurt, perspective challenging I guess.

mamafox - good to hear you're being patient and following the doctor's orders after your injection.   It must feel so good to just be pain free, even though you said you could manage that.   Pain wears you down.  I do hope that when you start the walking this week that you remain pain free.

Great news you've entered La Rochelle, it's on  the list :D 

Robert - I don't agree re London leaving it too late to make these changes, they have contacted all the runners by email to advise them in the race info what's happening and none of the changes are going to alter anyone's race plan.   The water belts and capes are being trialled by those that wish to participate.   Also a lot of the runners won't have run the race last year so these are the normal race details that would be provided at this time.  I particularly think the capes are such a good idea, I understand that you get a prepaid envelope so you can return the cape...not sure what happens if you don't return it though?  
    I expect they have further plans for next year and this year's changes is only the start.

Your PF really doesn't seem to like parkrun, do you think that's the faster running, more up on your toes?  Sorry to hear you've got a cold, hope it's not too bad, at least get it out the way before you return to training.

Ian - at least your journey wasn't delayed on race morning, hope you've had a good rest.

I too am looking forward to all the race reports.   Taunton seems quite dull after Vienna, Rotterdam and GFA attempt at Manchester and I did do a full report last week.

We had lovely weather here yesterday, Taunton is only about a 50 minute drive from here, but have stuck my head outside the window and it's cool with a very sharp breeze so think it's going to be bit colder than I'd like.

Good luck to all today.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes it was a weird perspective. There are 38 of them, all lived in, and all connected together, plus 2 ‘super cubes’ which is a hostel. Inside, it was disorientating initially but there are 100 square metres inside each.  It is quite a popular tourist attraction but I felt I needed to remember that they were people’s homes too!  There was some info that said only those with a creative mind could make it work living in them - all the furniture is bespoke or has to be adapted to fit the angles and there’s a lot of areas where I had to duck so not for me at all!

Didn’t sleep brilliantly but hoping the day will go ok. We’ll soon find out!

Good luck to everyone!!