My Last Run

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Sounds idyllic, apart from the turds, Hazel.

Today I did my first inaugural parkrun, which was Sunny Hill, right by the M1 in North London. It was both sunny and hilly, which made for a rather slow time (27:21). It was a nice atmosphere, though, and I'm pleased to have a number 1 in my events log. Unfortunately I was only 2nd in my age group - it would have been nice to be 1st and therefore the age group record holder, if only for a week. But never mind!
  • The name alone makes that parkrun sound like hard work Cal. 

Will hope with you that the foot holds out Alipat.

Intervals yesterday, 5 x 1km with 2:30 recoveries with warmup and cooldown - 10 miles in total.  Was a bit disgusted to find I could manage only a few seconds faster per km than my 10k race tempo, I should be able to handle a few more.  Found breathing a big issue, but I'm not sure the legs could have done faster anyway.

Today a bit more than 15 miles, to stop myself getting bored I put in 2 x 2 miles @ MP and generally ran the flatter bits of the route a bit faster but didn't overdo the undulations in the first and last couple of miles.  Warm on both days.  Very few people about this afternoon, was everyone at the garden centre?  Saw a couple of lambs frisking around, a lovely white manolia and had a race with several young bullocks (on the other side of the fence). 

Have a good Sunday.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Hazelnut,dog walkers who don't clear up after their dogs make me mad.When I'm out with my dogs and notice an owner not clearing up,I'll approach them and give them a bag,they usually squirm with embarrassment,I''ll then hang around a make sure they pick it up.

Great 15 miler as well,Hazelnut.

Well done,Cal,on getting a second place age grading.Would love to get a top three age grade placing (45 - 50).

Hope your foot is holding up,alipat.

Went straight out for a 5 mile easy run after work yesterday evening.Straight away I could feel both of my Achilles niggling away more than usual.Back in work this morning and I can still feel them,slightly worried about them.Back in the summer of 2016 they got so bad I could hardly walk,had to stop running over the summer.I'll have to nip this in the bud before they deteriorate and hamper my summer racing.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I think it's the hardest parkrun in London now (with the possible exception of Lloyd when it's muddy - Lloyd has less elevation but it's used for cross country and gets very muddy in winter, whereas Sunny Hill is all paved). The runners I compared notes with all agreed that it was harder than London's other hilly parkruns.
    In any case, I think it knackered my legs because today's 10 miler was sluggish and crappy. I was glad to get it over with. Hopefully my legs will get their bounce back by Sunday!
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Good running all, Cal congrats on having the 2nd best time ever for your age group at Sunny Hill Parkrun! We used to live ten mins from there. It is quite hilly, but I’m really surprised it’s the hilliest in London. Will, you seem really well prepped, fingers crossed for a good taper and great run in Manchester. Hazel good hill running even if unplanned JD good nature spotting and running.

I did my first run after the half yesterday. A 29 mins 5k on the dreadmill here in Turkey, I empathise a bit with Ali. My achilles has always been a little grumbly since I started running, but after the half I also had a sore knee, sore hip and hamstring on the same leg. They were also a little sore after my 5k. I’m going to see how they feel tomorrow.
  • Excellent running guys. I have really missed getting out there this weekend. Today was the first Sunday in 13 weeks where I haven't been out for a decent length run. 

Thankfully the foot is definitely on the mend. I could have gone out today but I saw little point in risking it. I am ready to get going now though. The pre race nerves are definitely starting to settle in.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    enrvuk - I have a sore hip/groin and grumbly knee on the same leg as my achilles. All part of the same biomechanical issue. (Fortuantely my grumpy hamstring is on the other leg!) I had a very detailed biomechanical assessment done by a lady called Helen Hall, who has given me some exercises to get me moving better. It's not a quick process though (having to unlearn 50+ years of bad habits takes time). I do recommend her, however - she is the only person in the UK who has that equipment and she knows her stuff.
  • Just a easy little 5K for me tonight. Was feeling a bit jumpy having not run since Thursday,  so was good to get the legs moving. Really want to get this week over and get up to Manchester. It's been a long old road and feeling absolutely ready for it now. 

Good luck to all of you prepping for next weekend too. Plenty of Berocca and sleep :)
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Final stretch, Will! I have a scratchy throat today so rushed down to Boots for nasal spray and Vit C. I don't want to miss another marathon due to a frickin' cold.
    I did walk up to the common to see my geese - six remaining babies have wing feathers now. Those grew quickly! Saw a little wren bobbing about too.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info Cal it’s much appreciated. I tried another run today and after a few k I could feel things weren’t right so I stopped. I’ll give it a rest for a few days and will look into Helen Hall when I get back to the UK. Good luck with the sore throat. Plenty of sleep and hydration are critical as Will said.
  • Good turd tactics JD. Be careful with the achilles.

Certainly not the right time for a cold Cal!

Enjoy your hols envruk. No harm in a few days off.

Can imagine you want to get to that startline asap Will and Ali.

8.7 miles this evening at a steady pace. Had planned to put in some strides but the legs were still tired from Saturdays run and I wasn't convinced I would do them with good form so I left them out. Shorts and t-shirt weather again.  Only spots - a few mallards paddling in the ditch I spent most of my time ruuning along, a heron and a red kite. And lots of dust, need some rain.
  • I hope you can manage to hold the cold off Cal. I ran the Cardiff half a few years back whilst full of cold and it was an awful experience from start to finish.

So some good news on my front today. The foot is feeling good again and I even managed to get out and run 3 miles tonight just to stretch the legs. My foot felt completely painless throughout and most importantly still remains that way a few hours later. I really needed that run tonight. I know I have nothing to gain in terms of fitness at this stage, but having had my longest break from running all year I mentally needed to remind myself that I hadn't forgotten how to run! Don't you just love tapering   :D
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Hope you can hold the cold off Cal,good luck for Vienna.Feeling slightly jealous of all you spring marathon runners.

Good luck Will and Ali,hope your foot behaves for you,Ali.Which marathon are you running Ali?.Looking forward to all of your marathon reports.

Good luck with your injury enrvuk

Back into cold weather clothing here Hazelnut.Snow on the top of the hills,been spoilt with the warm weather over the last few weeks.

Did circuit training Monday evening and the Achilles felt fine,even when doing the sprints.Went out yesterday evening and hoped to do 8,but my Achilles didn't feel good,so only managed 5 miles.I'll rest it today and see how it feels Thursday.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    All better now - the extra rest day plus lots of vit C and echinacea seems to have worked.
    I managed 4 miles today but legs felt a bit heavy and my calves were horrible. I hope this is just a taper blip! It could be down to the hilly parkrun on Saturday, though - that thing was a killer. Note to self: avoid hilly parkruns the week before a marathon! (In my defence, though, it was a brand new parkrun so I had no idea of the profile.
  • Echoing the good luck thoughts above, good travelling for all of you also. 

Also feeling a bit jealous JD but also relieved I've not got several days of DOMS to look forward to.  What races do you have coming up yourself?

6 with my group yesterday evening (hilly) and another 6 this lunchtime (recovery + strides).  Two big magnolias were flowering outside the church yesterday evening, they will be wrecked by today's rain and tomorrow's snow.  Lovely light this lunchtime, fresh, bright green fields against an inky blue sky.  I could see the bad weather approaching and wasn't tempted by a longer run.
  • JD I'm running Manchester. Very much looking forward to getting it done now. I'm hoping the weather is nothing like today's. We've had heavy snow and hail in Leicester. On the drive home the A46 literally came to a standstill because the hail was so heavy. The dual carriageway basically became an ice rink. Thankfully the forecast for Sunday is looking a little more positive! 
  • Great news about your foot, alipat. Hope it continues to improve. Treat it well! Glad you got out for a run. I've been twitching all week in this final taper stage!

Glad your cold has not developed, Cal. Hat and gloves weather here again Hazelnut. It really can't make its mind up. I would rather it cool than warm for Sunday though, so no complaints.

4 miles at a nice easy jog to finish off my taper. Again, my mind wandered during the run and before I knew it I was at my front door. Have done the preliminary packing of my race bag. I know I will only check it 47 times between now and Sunday. Early nights all the way now and just need to buy some shiny new safety pins.

I run, therefore I am.
  • Oh yes don't forget those Will, I had to beg for several mini sewing kits at my hotel for my spring mara last year.

10 slushy miles this afternoon, we had several centimetres of snow overnight and a few more during the day but rain on top has now produced a slimy mess. Should be gone by tomorrow. The storks looked a bit bedraggled, hope there were no nestlings yet. Usually don't survive those conditions 😕
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Good luck to all of the racers.Looking forward to the the race reports.

Hazelnut - have the Tatton 10k next Sunday.

8 miles yesterday in awful weather,rain,sleet and snow.Hands were frozen glad to get back home.Did 4 x 800m @ 5k pace,glad to say my Achilles felt OK .
  • Just checking into wish everyone the very best of luck with their events, hope they go brilliantly.

Little to report with me, still chipping away with 3 runs a week, 5 or 6 miles normally. Off out to run an 8 now. My routes which were devoid of anyone other than me in the cold winter months are now busy with joggers!

Best of luck again
  • Cheers all for the good luck wishes.

I'm here to do the same. Good luck Marathoners! I hope it all goes well and you're able to enjoy the experience. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Have just carb-loaded enough fish n chips to fuel an army. Getting rather nervous now, but generally in a good way. Heading up north tomorrow. Have a great time in Vienna, Cal!

And, enjoy your running everyone else :)

Not long now!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Thanks everyone. And good luck to all of you that are competing. Should be a fun weekend!

Will, what starting pen are you in?

I'm also setting off for Manchester in the morning. Unfortunately I've been struck down with a cold at the eleventh hour. My wife has been ill all week and then she came down with a cold yesterday so I've basically been avoiding her as much as I can the last few days! But sometimes there is just no escaping! So I'm currently sat in bed sipping on a lemsip, hoping that things improve rapidly over the next 24 hours.
  • Oh no, alipat - dose up and rest. I'm sure you'll beat it. I'm in pen F (it's for slowies!) Which one are you in?
    I run, therefore I am.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Good luck to all the runners this weekend.
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyone! Have glorious runs ☺ 
  • I'm in pen H will, the ultra slowies Haha. I had no idea what sort of time I would be looking at when I signed up so popped my estimated finish time down as 5 hours. Really I'm going to be looking more for 4:15.
  • Last minute good lucks from me too.  Hope you get a good night's sleep!

Bit trivial considering the races to be run by some tomorrow:

First hill race of the season for me yesterday - 8km with around 450m of ascent and the last km steep downhill in 47:50 just 6 seconds off of third place in my age category - grrr.  I felt strong throughout, starting towards the back - and was able to continuously work my way through the field, not being overtaken myself very often.  We were lucky with the conditions, it snowed quite heavily on Thursday but the tracks we were on were snow free by Friday evening - the steep down hill at the end had to be taken with caution though - being as it was on wet stony ground.  Good turnout from my Tuesday group - one full car plus others we know so lots of pre and post race chat.  
  • I'm going for 4:20 - 4:30 so may well bump into you! Have a great marathon!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • That's a great effort Hazel. Must be frustrating to be so close to that top 3 age group finish though. Hill running is something I've never particularly dabbled with. I don't trust myself not to slip!

Our oaths may very well cross Will. All the best for tomorrow.

• Well, I loved that! I'm a marathoner! 4:19:09. Full report to follow. Hope this everyone else had a good one.
    I run, therefore I am.