Paris Marathon 2019

Comments

• @phronesis good plan! 😁👍🏻
  • Nothing you could call a hill on this course! Couple of steep but very short ascents from the tunnels by the river, everything else is pretty gentle and gradual. The bit at 33/34k is probably the most hill-like, but that's only in contrast to the rest. Trust me, I live in East Anglia so I know what flat looks like smile:
  • Would anyone mind showing me what their convocation looks like (with the confidential details blocked out of course)? I haven't received an email but I do have QR code on my timeto registration page, so I want to know if I am worrying about nothing because I already have it or whether I am genuinely missing it. Thanks
  • It has the subject "Your convocation for the Schneider Electric Marathon de Paris 2019" and it's from the address marathondeparis@news.aso.fr, if that helps you find it.

It does say: "To pick up your bib, you will have to present:

your QR Code (available below and on your time to account)
    your ID"

In past years the convocation has had a .pdf attachment you had to print out, but I guess this year the QR code from the website/email is all you'll need, so it's likely they'll be able to scan it either off your phone or from a print-out.

I'm going to print that email with the QR code (in case my phone runs out of battery) and have it on my phone as well (in case I lose the bit of paper). I'd always take a back-up for race entries, or international travel tickets or whatever, etc - it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
  • phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    Like jx I have done a screenshot on my phone of the QR code and printed it. One or the other should suffice. So I would use the QR code from your timeto and do the same thing. 
  • Hi all. Starting to get nervous now!! Hope everyone is enjoying taper :-)  Quick question - do they have physios who can KT tape at the expo like they do at the London one?

Thanks
  • Thank you very much everyone for your constructive comments and support, it's defintvery helpful to hear about similar experiences! I will definitely take all your recommendations into account to survive and also enjoy the day. Did another easy track run after some more resting today and things are feeling slightly better, I'm hoping the next 7 days will help with the recovery as much as it can.

I got the convocation letter as well, I am planning to go to the expo as soon as I drop my bags at my hotel on Thursday afternoon to get my bib.
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Just got back from holidays in Egypt. Both of my daughters have picked up a cold :(

Trying to decide whether I should move them to the shed or the garage :)
  • I’ve just noticed it going to be live on Euro Sport 1 so I’ll be recording that! 😀
  • StephAStephA ✭✭✭
    @K83nd0n I didn’t see anyone taping last year-can you get it done before you travel/do it yourself? 
    @Khanivore definitely move the kids out and stay away 🤣!
    @DavidRuns thanks for the Eurosport tip 👍

i saw saw my physio yesterday and I’ve hurt my peroneal tendon. She’s done acupuncture to speed up recovery and help with the pain-I can have a short run tomorrow, going back for a second session on Wednesday-she’s confident I’ll make it to the start line-the rest remains to be seen but I’m bloody determined to finish!!

I noticed yesterday that the finishers party party is at La Felicità-I’m actually thinking about heading there with my family to carb up on Saturday early evening. Thought I’d mention it, for anyone who is looking for somewhere, as it looks quite a casual, easy spot.
  • I week to go and still got this rotten cough. Going to visit the GP tomorrow 😪
  • K83nd0n said:
    Hi all. Starting to get nervous now!! Hope everyone is enjoying taper :-)  Quick question - do they have physios who can KT tape at the expo like they do at the London one?

Thanks
    I've had my calf taped there before, but that was a few years ago. Here's the exhibitors list: http://netstorage.lequipe.fr/ASO/egp/salon-du-running/running2019-liste.pdf (sans KT Tape, I'm afraid) 
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Back in Blighty and did 10 miles today testing my running belt carrying 6 high5 aqua gels. They are massive and so it’s not great as the belt keep slipping down. I’ll make do but there is no way I can carry my phone too. No music for me.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Khanivore - Neighbours shed? 
    DavidRuns - Thanks for the Eurosport tip.  My marathon highlight was seeing myself on TV clips at the London Marathon in 2017 somewhat selfishly running past the unfortunate guy whose legs went, but is now a running hero, aided by Matthew Rees who is now an even bigger running hero! Not passing up that opportunity again, in Paris if anyone goes down in the finishing straight and in line of the cameras, I am going to be there like a shot carying them over the line.  
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Hahahaha @OuchOuch literally the best comment I’ve seen on this thread :)
  • phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    I’m planning a 12k long slow run on Monday 8 April. Is that too much too close? 
  • Just seen out of hours service, got chest infection. Starting antibiotics, fingers crossed they’ll work in time!! 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Phronesis - depends on what your weekly mileage has been. I would say yes as the last week normally should be slow running with some segments of shorter faster stuff 2*800 metres. etc.
    Claire - not great news but thankfully you've got it now, not later on this week. Plenty of sleep, water and healthy food too. 
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Good luck beating it @clairejones - at least it’s diagnosed and being medicated now.
  • phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    StephA said:
    @K83nd0n I didn’t see anyone taping last year-can you get it done before you travel/do it yourself? 
    @Khanivore definitely move the kids out and stay away 🤣!
    @DavidRuns thanks for the Eurosport tip 👍

i saw saw my physio yesterday and I’ve hurt my peroneal tendon. She’s done acupuncture to speed up recovery and help with the pain-I can have a short run tomorrow, going back for a second session on Wednesday-she’s confident I’ll make it to the start line-the rest remains to be seen but I’m bloody determined to finish!!

I noticed yesterday that the finishers party party is at La Felicità-I’m actually thinking about heading there with my family to carb up on Saturday early evening. Thought I’d mention it, for anyone who is looking for somewhere, as it looks quite a casual, easy spot.
    Maybe. It’s on the other side of Paris from where I am staying though. Think I could be fragile and tired. I’d like to but the flesh may be just too weak to get over there. I’ll reflect on it. 
  • @clairejones my convocation was in my spam, you may have already checked there but i didn’t immediately think to because all other emails had gone to my main inbox. Hope you’re better soon, too!

@StephA - good luck with the physio, it’s good that she’s confident you’ll make it to the start.

Trying not to think too much about this time next week...
  • StephAStephA ✭✭✭
    Hopefully this time next week, we'll all be waking with our medals round our necks!! Weather sites seem to be suggesting around 12 degrees on Sunday...

@clairejones sorry to hear you've got a chest infection - hope you can take things easy this week and look after yourself!
    @phronesis definitely not worth shlepping around the city the eve before, you'll find plenty of carbing options near you for sure!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Claire - I hope the chest infection clears in time for Paris.

I had a great time in Vienna yesterday. Managed to knock eleven minutes off my PB, clocked in at 3:33:00. Really wasn’t expecting that.
  • Webby4216Webby4216 ✭✭✭
    @clairejones hope the antibiotics are working and the chest infection is getting better, rest up

@eggyh73 congrats on Vienna! Amazing work to knock 11 minutes off the PB! Also exceptional timing to coe in at exactly 3:33!?!

Hope everyone has been enjoying their taper and all the niggles have sorted themselves out. Not long now!

Did a hard 5K effort on Saturday as legs were feeling fresher from the taper to see where I'm at....now has given me a decision to make on what time to aim for! good problem to have I suppose.
  • Hi guys. This is my first marathon and just wondered about cut off times for the Paris marathon. It says 5hours 40 but would I still receive a medal if I finished in 6 hours 30 as reading through the threads it has said that they recorded times till then! Hope someone can advise. Thanks all! 
  • @Sebbierburke if you scroll up this thread a couple of pages you will see I also raised the same concern about the cut off time. Consensus is that we'll probably be ok up to 6.45hrs -7hrs but anything over that not so sure.
  • Thanks all, antibiotics seem to be working, cough more productive today. Still resting.

Re the convocation, I still haven't received the email, checked and rechecked junk and spam folders, definitely not there. I emailed them this morning, they replied very promptly and said it was an automated email that cold not be re-sent but that the QR code on my timeto account is enough to pick up my bib. So if anyone else is worried about not receiving the email, as long as you have the QR code on your timeto account you will be ok.
  • @Sebbierburke I should add trying to get to the front of your pen would be advisable as well, as the cut off time is from the last runner crossing the start line so the further up the field you are, the more time you will have. That is my plan. Some have also suggested trying to change to an earlier pen at the expo.
  • Hi folks, getting excited /nervous now!

Just looked for live tracking and seen that you need to opt in for live tracking
    before midday friday if you want friends and family to be able to follow you

link is on the news section of the site but it won't let me post the url