Monday 8th April 2019 - Mornings alone

Morning.

Lyrics - Mornings alone
             When you come home

We are forecast a high of 17C this afternoon - I'm looking forward to that though it will probably be whilst I'm in my windowless room and I shall walk out in time for the thunderstorm..............unfortunately the weather rather deteriorates after that this week.

What:          hopefully a MLR
Why:           sanity mostly
Last hard:   the weekend was difficult
Last rest:    27/1

Yesterday's lyrics - Run To The Hills - Iron Maiden.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all, 
    LmH - sorry to hear about the continuing FiL issues, but the running seems to be going OK. I don't think I could ever do multiple 100+ weeks...
    Hazel - well done on the race, sounds like my kind of series. Not that you get those sort of races round my way!
    Wabo - right decision on Friday!
    Chick - decent time regardless! Well done.
    RFJ - good PR pacing!

What - easy recovery / giving blood later
    Why - turn the legs over 
    Last Rest - Saturday
    Last Hard - yesterday I guess

Was awol much of the weekend: Saturday was our club's young athletes T&F event. So trackside from 9-6, it didn't rain but it was very cold. Decided to thaw out rather than run 3-4 easy.
    Yesterday was a 16.2 trail race, point to point which is pretty local to me. Done it most of the past 20 odd years. A week out from the marathon I wasn't going to go crazy. so set off comfortable. Without really thinking about it we were at the main climbs, 10 miles in, after which it's flat/gentle downhill all the way to the end. Was nice to feel good and throw in a few low 7 min/miles in the closing 5km without 'hanging'. Probably too quick tbh but I'm not really marathon time chasing this year.
    2:10 yesterday, so just about 8 m/m average. 

11 of my clubmates ran Manchester, many of whom come to the Tuesday coaching sets. Pleased to see 6 setting PBs, one V55 getting below 3 for the first time, and several more getting GFAs.
    No pressure on those doing London this year then! 

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Bom Dia! Although it is not as it is rather wet.

Had planned to run before breakfast and am sitting here waiting for the rain to stop. May have to change plans.

Well done yesterday, Dustin. And well done to your clubmates in Manchester. Lots of people reporting PBs: good conditions on a quick course. 

And well done Chick: enjoy the rest of your break.

Lyrics: no
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Well done on your nippy LSR, LMH. A slightly slower run the day after is normal.

Your race sounds great, Hazel and it looks like you had a good strategy.  almost a podium place, yay!

Nice offroad running, Dustin. I don't think I could even do one 100+ week unless it's k :D

Thanks for the good wishes,  Daisydoo. Come back and join us.

Here's a short race report:

I leaned on Saturday at the corporate pasta party that there was a last minute cancellation in one of the relay teams so they needed someone for the first 15k leg. The rules allow half marathoners to be part of a relay - you simply wear 2 chips. 

Problem for me: Had to run into the relay funnel and find my buddy. But as everything was paid for by work I could hardly say no. And the cold had begun to spread so I knew I'd have to run cautiously.

An emotional start: The female course record holder for many years passed away in February, aged 51.

Being part of a corporate team I was in the pen of the 2hr half/4hr marathoners. It was super crowded for first 2k and I knew I wasn't going to make up the time so I relaxed into a good rhythm constantly passing people managing dead even 5k splits and feeling in control despite a streaming nose ;). The  course is scenic and there's good support. Lovely weather helped and I have nice tan lines to show.

Relay funnel was mayhem. Lost about a minute to search for my buddy who was to run the 6k leg. She's new to running, so I ran at her pace for about 500m chatting a bit and wishing her luck. She then urged me to move on.

Finished strongly with a 4:17 last k so obviously wasn't trying hard enough earlier ;) Glad it's mainly a head cold and peak flow is mostly unaffected.

Enjoy your week :)
  • You might also walk out to sunshine LMH.  :) 17 degrees would be nice.  Hope you get in a nice MLR.

Busy weekend Dustin.  Nice trail race. How long will take you to recover from giving blood if you have a mara at the weekend?  I'm not allowed to do it here due to having been a UK resident at the height of the BSE crisis.
    Well done to your clubmates.  I also enjoyed stalking someone around Manchester online - he ran his first mara in 4:19 and was delighted.

Skin is waterproof Ale :D though less rain would of course be nicer for the start of your Portugal trip.  Hope the travel went well.

Well done on the pyramid intervals yesterday RFJ.

Thanks for the report chicksta - your HM time is even better considering the faff with the relay team on top.  8th in F50 is certainly not a bad result.  Having watched some of the mara on TV I think Vienna is on my mara to-do list for the future.

What: need to check - probably a GA with some strides
    Why: getting back to the HM plan
    Last hard: not signing up for a marathon myself after the enthusiasm of tracking others yesterday
    Last rest: 6.4

Lyrics: no
  • No, my LSR was back to my current usual pants pace chicksta, it was the MLR on Saturday that was better (though still slow). Glad the cold isn't too bad.

The forecast thunderstorm has now disappeared Hazel so you could be right. If so I may treat myself to a couple more miles this afternoon. I could do with a run in my charity vest before  the big day and we might not get another warm day before then!

Sounds like you had an enjoyable race Dustin. I feel very guilty about not being able to give blood even though it's not my fault - thank you for doing so.

Hope your weather brightens up Alehouse and you enjoy the break.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Short run this morning between showers. Then a train followed by a fair amount of walking, much of it uphill to churches and a castle. Then short run number two: breezy and light showers. Trying to keep what little kit I have brought as dry as I can. Cobbles everywhere, which are not the easiest to run on.
    Now sitting outside a bar under a canopy watching the rain. Hope the blue skies are on the way! Good to be somewhere different! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Happy Birthday LMH, I hope you are enjoying your day even if working for part of it:-)

Ale: Where are you? Aha Portugal it pays to read back;-)

Well done all racers over the weekend;-) I must try to read back but time limited.

Finally got rid of tummy bug so been back running since Saturday.

What 7 miles
    Why Because I can
    Last hard : bug and not running.
    Lyrics nope

So building back up again......sigh lets hope  this is the end of the madness.

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Thanks Poppy. I'm going out for a birthday tea tonight. Too cold for a couple of extra miles in a vest after work - though beautifully sunny there's quite a breeze - and to be honest I'm tired and my throat is sore so it's probably just as well. I'm pleased that you're feeling better.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Apologies LMH! Meant to wish you happy birthday this morning! Enjoy your evening!

Bright and sunny here now...but very breezy.
  • No worries Alehouse. Sounds like our weather.
  • No heat wave here!
    5k loop done without detriment
    Getting going again (still very stiff if I sit for any period)
    Last rest: total yesterday
    Last hard: rough boat home with sore back
    Lyrics no

Nice write up and sprint finish Chick

• Oh sorry didn't know about that. Happy Birthday LMH. Hope you are having a nice evening.

Good you are feeling better Wabo.

Hope the back improves soon OH.

Glad the weather has improved Ale.