Comrades 2019

Comments

• NB This is not actually Lowrez in the picture. At least I don't think it is :):):)
  • SS - hard to tell under those eyelashes, could be anyone!
  • Indeed!

Lowrez - are you running in those boots?

Becca - well done for Manchester. Still time to improve your fitness.

Debra - Are you aiming to cover all the NDW before you race? Glad the chest is getting better.
  • mordomordo ✭✭✭
    Sorry didn’t do Rotterdam as I have been injury plagued
    its now a case of more things broken than working and planning longer term
    touch wood I will be okay for Brighton 🤞
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Nice running KB and becca. Those pics make you look like you are having a wonderful time, i so love this time of the year being marathon fit!!!! Nice to hear you getting back into as well becca.

Taunton marathon went well for me. Just tried to keep my HR low (like becca) and managed to do it pretty well. Not many hills to unduly stress the body but was lovely to keep passing people who had gone off too fast. A nice and chilled 3.48 for me. I walked through all the water stations and will try this strategy again in a few weeks, seemed to keep my legs nice and fresh.

Looking forward to the actual image lowrez, although once you see something you can't unsee it ever again :):):)
  • Southern Snail: ideally yes, I'd cover the whole of the NDW before the race, as I've not run it since 2013 and my memory of the route is now very patchy.  But I'm rapidly running out of possible days to do it. I'm presently considering whether I can run Dorking to Caterham on Saturday, after parkrun - and before running Boston on Sunday...
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Mordo, sorry to hear you’ve been injured but hope recovery goes well, there is still plenty of time before Comrades. Debra great to hear that you’re starting to feel strong again, and good runs from Kite beast and Becca! 
    Ss not long now to your 10 in 10, that sounds amazing not sure I could do it, but could be tempted to try one day!
    Lowrez, I’ve no idea who the character is, but the outfit looks impressive! If that is what you’re wearing for London, what outfit should we expect for dinner on the Saturday eve??
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Hoping you recover well mordo. Great running everyone.

I assume most of you must be too young to remember the amazing Gerry Anderson SciFi Series UFO I think I have most of the components of Gay's outfit, the most difficult has been her top, you just can't walk into M&S and get one of those :D usually eBay helps out but not so in this case, hence my search for a cosplay tailor. I have not seen the finished item yet, but here is an unfinished shot:-

I have spent a heap of time trying to get all the components of this one together. I have some silver over-covers for my trainers that should look like the boots. She has a lapel badge that usually would say S.H.A.D.O. (standing for Supreme Headquarters Alien Defence Organisation) and I have had one of those made:-

But seeing as I am running for Asthma UK I have also had one made like:-

The attention to detail continues, she has some test-tube type things on her belt, silver Nerf bullets have been procured for that and on the other side is a "box" like thing, that I have discovered is in fact a makeup compact which I will manufacture from a gravy cube box covered in silver labels with the female SHADO symbol printed on from a design I constructed to emulate it in Microsoft Paint. Here is Gay using the compact. I still have to get to the hairdressers to get my own hair cut short and then the fringe on the purple wig shaped correctly. And I might even get some white nail polish! If only I wasn't so fat! Still time to slim down a bit for London?

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    lowrez - any chance I can increase my dinner number to.....4?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Hi Dannirr - is that you plus 4 (ie 5 in total?) or you plus 3 (ie 4 in total?) - are you ready for Boston :)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

OK, restaurant booking modified:-

London power-up, table for 11 people at 7pm on the evening of 27th April

Restaurant - Pasta Menu

o 1owrez + Soaring Wombat
    o SS + Mr SS
    o thomasclowes
    o Dannirr + 3
    o Debra Bourne
    o McHilly

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Thanks lowrez - 4 total.    Boston - yup!!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Dannirr - grand - the above reservation fits the bill :) Good to know you are on form :)

McH - I will turn up at the restaurant in meltdown I think; I arrive in London same day at Euston at 14:36, assuming that train runs to time. I then have 2h24m to get my running number from Excel, that should be plenty, but I am 1owrez and I am sure there will be some drama involved where I narrowly miss having the last post played over me. Then I "only" have 2 further hours to get to my hotel in paradise in Waterloo, no doubt as the sun sets there will be millions of people swarming like flies 'round Waterloo underground... and then on to the restaurant. I will probably be in jeans and t-shirt :)

• Southern SnailSouthern Snail ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Mordo - Good luck with the recovery. Hope things go in the right direction. Still 2 months to go

Marty - well done at Taunton. Sounds like a good run. See you in a couple of weeks. Definitely no hills for your next one

Good luck with finding extra running time at the weekend Debra.

I have my feet firmly up on the sofa this week. Fitbit steps finally going down. Yesterday I had some pain in my leg and could hardly walk. Limped up to bed. Had been perfectly ok 5 mins before. Psychosomatic I presume :)
  • Southern Snail: yes, that sounds like a taper-madness sort of pain! Again, best of luck for your 10-in-10. Just keep eating and drinking, rest as much as you can after you finish each day, keep shuffling in the mornings until the legs loosen up and get going properly, and you'll be fine.
  • JNR: I have just found a couple of Messenger messages from people looking for Comrades places. Is yous still available? Please let me know and message me how I can contact you to pass on details!
  • Hi Debra yes it's still available.  I'll send you a message with contact details.  Cheers

• Thanks for the heads up Lowrez!    
  • Hows everyone doing?  Can't believe its almost mid-April already!  Exciting times for you all as training loads peak and Spring marathons are taking place.    

Lowrez - who is soaring Wombat - what have i been missing???
  • jnr: I've accepted your FB Friend request and will hopefully get you in touch with the other runner soon!
    I'm finally back running properly again. I have a lot of work to do, as I'm presently about 45-60 seconds per mile slower than I should be. Trying to enjoy improving rather than feeling frustrated about the fitness I've lost and the weight I've gained - I must remember that 2 weeks ago I was 90-120 seconds per mile slower than I should be, so I -am- improving.

• Debra - still a couple of months to go and the fitness is in there. I'm sure it won't take too long to come back

Lowrez - Mr SS and I are going up to collect his number during the week and are quite happy to collect yours too and give it to you Saturday evening.
  • Southern Snail: alas I don't have two months: I have Boston Marathon (Lincs) this Sunday, SDW Devil's Challenge (SDW in three days) at the start of May and NDW50 18th May, as well as a couple of less-important events on other weekends in April and May. I don't so much mind getting a bad time in Boston, but I did want to put on a decent showing at the Devil's Challenge and (particularly) NDW50...
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

JAR Soaring Wombat is Son of 1owrez :) he is not a runner but a good chap never the less :D He used to hide in his room when the likes of Gay Ellis surfaced but has come to accept his father's mid (nay end of) life crisis :D and will be seeking to cheer me on through the Streets of London

SS what a wonderful idea, I am going to bite your hand off at the elbow on that one, what do we need to do to achieve such a feat?  

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

SS:

Q. Can I arrange for someone else to register for me?
    A. Yes, you can nominate someone to collect your number for you. The person you nominate must have the following with them when they attend registration:
    A letter written and signed by you authorising the person by name to collect your running number

The person collecting your number must have suitable photographic identification with them and a clear photocopy of your photo identification.

If these instructions are not followed, the running number will not be issued.

Please note an individual may only collect ONE running number in addition to their own.

• Thanks Debra - I have emailed you the voucher in case you can't get hold of me,  whoever the lucky recipient is ( :D ) they need to activate it tomorrow or they lose the opportunity.  

Lowrez - did son of Lowrez get bullied with a name like that?  Wombats aren't the soaring'est creatures.
  • Debra  - best of luck on your upcoming races...you have the mental fortitude so you just need to go with that!

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    JAR I think his monica is meant to purposefully represent the juxtaposition of the two words; he chose it himself as he entered the digital age, prior to that, and still for me, he was known as Gary :) I don't think he has had much problem with other irksome individuals, he's always been on the tall side :)