Persistent hip pain

About 6 months ago, I decided to intensify my training and pushed myself pretty hard for a week at a faster pace than normal.

After about 7 days I started to get a pain in my right hip. I pushed myself through to the end of the run and just figured I'd tweaked it and a bit of RICE would sort it out.

That was 6 months ago and the pain is still there, dull but persistent and noticeable when I either stretch my hip out or walk any distance.

I could go see my GP but trying to get any kind of scan for non-urgent injuries will take months (5 the last time I needed one). I could visit our local minor injuries clinic but given I did this 6 months ago, I'm not sure they'll see me. I could just continue to RICE it and hope that time is a healer but I'm getting fat as any type of exercise seems to aggrevate it.

I'm at a bit of a loss with this so any advice on what it is, what caused it, why it won't go away or what I should do about it is appreciated.

Answers

• YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    Ian Coady said:
    About 6 months ago, I decided to intensify my training and pushed myself pretty hard for a week at a faster pace than normal.

After about 7 days I started to get a pain in my right hip.

That was 6 months ago and the pain is still there, dull but persistent and noticeable when I either stretch my hip out or walk any distance.

I could go see my GP but trying to get any kind of scan for non-urgent injuries will take months (5 the last time I needed one). 
    I think your GP will refer you to a Physio (appointment times are much sooner) first. I had a similar persistent hip/groin pain in 2011 and my GP referred me to one. 12 weeks later (a few plyometric band routines did the trick) it was resolved.

But if you're insistent on getting the scan, why not ask now? I mean, it's been 6 months. 
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    I would self refer to a physio, if you canon your NHS trust. Shorter waiting times and if they can not sort it then your GP can refer you for a scan rather than going through physio after seeing your GP (does depend how quickly you can see your GP. I ended up paying for an MRI with persistent hip pain, GP was not able to refer as I did not fit the criteria! 
  • Hip pain is also starting to ruin any hope I had of long distance jogging, three miles and I'm sore, hoping to put a post on here about it soon when I can. I have self referred through my GP but must be 8 weeks now no news. I am working on my pelvis alignment to see if it improves might be worth a Google for you
  • I self referred to a physio with same symptoms as you. She diagnosed greater trochanteric hip pain syndrome. She’s given me exercises to do but it’s taking time. I think this is because initially the pain started quite low level, and I was training for my first half marathon so I ignored it. Stupid. Now stuck, not able to exercise at all. How have you got on?
  • I had a MR Arthrogram on both hips after a bike crash. Been having persistent pains around hips ever since. Left side is more buttock and behind greater throcanter and right side is high up inside my inner thy. I also now have deep clunking in front of groin when going from flexion to extension on both sides.
    Results are as follows
    Hip Joints are normal, no significant effusion or synovitis, no obvious labral tear or traumatic avulsion, mild ileo psoas tendinitis bilaterally, Si joint and symphysis pubis is normal,
    bilateral gluteus medius tendopathy, changes in throchteric burial thickening left is worse than right.

Have seen prof Damian Griffin who is supposed to be one of the better hip and groin guys in the UK, He has basically told be me there is no specifc injury and to continue physio.

And ideas from anyone? pain has been lingering for best part of 9 months now!