Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Good miling pete.  Have you considered training a bit more specifically towards middle distance for a couple of months and see how fast that mile can be?

Matt - volcanoes? Wtf? I consider running on the canal path hilly, that course would finish me off!  Great experience though. Nice one...I bet mattl and bus would love a bit of that

Bus , nice consistant park running. 

I'm bored of my week off so I did a 20mins on treadmill at 5mm pace yesterday and a 10mile long run (it's long for me) today.  My body has turned to pate in a week of abuse by takeAway.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Good work there Matt. I've flown over the place but haven't been any closer than Taupo. Two things I remember was, first the small earth tremor and second was when I fell asleep at the wheel.

I haven't experienced any more tremors and my missus has done most of the driving since. 

I didn't run up this.

But I did run 15 miles this morning. Going well. That's 14 on Tuesday, 14 on Thursday and today.

Felt better than the other two outings, but that's running comfortably for you. The faster stuff will be uncomfortable. 

I'll think about it.

Any race effort is good, Bus.
    I thought about doing a parkrun myself yesterday but soon forgot about it.

🙂

• Good mile PeteM - I'm toying with the Masters (Westminster) Mile at the end of May, instead of the 10,000m. I'll see. Never passed out either - or been sick at the end of a race. But stomach troubles....I'm the expert!

So - Sutton Pk. Was out on leg 3, went to the Start fitness tent and was staring longingly at the small Asics Gel Hyperspeed, wishing I had tiny feet so I could have another pair. As I still don't really have any racers that I like, I brought the old hyperspeed up and thought I'd put the Hoka insoles in them - worked ok actually.

So went off around the big dogleg at the start quite steadlily, before coming around to the start of the big hill. nearing the top I had a run in with an idiot dog walker with his mutt on a really long lead. Gave him the finger, as you do. Twat.

Got to the top and felt..well not as bad as I thought really. Got to the Jubilee stone where the lucky buggers on the short leg go back down the hill and hit the horrible bit of two ups and downs out to the turnaround point. Got there and on the way back had a battle with two kids from SLH and Swindon harriers. So finally got back to the stone to the most knackering downhill you will ever do towards the finish. The SLH guy got away, but I thought I had dropped the Swindon kid. So it's then past the lake, a couple of inclines then we hit the bottom of the hill. So it's then a right turn with a 200m or so hill to the finish - where you can quietly die afterwards.

Ended up with 29.19 which was surprisingly a bit faster than last year ass I didn't feel great going into it. Womens times were mad - Anna Moller 28.01 and Jess Judd 28.03!!!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's some firm back to back longuns there Ric! Once a week is certainly enough for me.

Did the same route as last week - basically for those who don't know our area, a flat couple of miles, then a 3mile climb, before about 8 miles of undulations. Then a huge downhill 2miles, with most of the 300ft over 1mile, before a flat finish mile.

Would be a collosal effort in reverse, as I found the one time I tried it, and bottled out about 1/4mile up the hill, having almost blown up.
    7.03 pace yesterday.

Today's 6 was swimming pool esque for moisture. Always know it's a humid job when your hands are dribbling sweat too.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Good turnout Simon. It's probably different for you proper racers, but I have to say that the downhill is the only bit I enjoyed on that course!!
    We're trying to get a 6 together for the masters relay there.
    Usual drill - optimistic talk of taking multiple teams, quickly descending down to can we take ONE team" :D

If we could put out our top team, perhaps with me being 5th or 6th fastest, we'd be fairly decently high up I reckon, but obviously that won't ever happen, but it'll just be a good day out - not as arduous as the 12 stage ones with half the legs, and only 3miles each.

Matthead - that sounds an incredible run adventure job!
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    good relay simon, i hate the long legs there as you pass the jubilee stone and keep going for the out and back rather than the nice downhill to close.
    I also like the downhill, plus the noisy up hill sprint finish past the tents and support.

Master relays apparently we have 6 names for the first time in ages.  with 3 being around or sub 15.30 5k standard another sub 16 and then a couple of low/mid 16s.  Problem is its the day after christleton 5k, super fast course which 4 of us will be running chasing PBs.

• We'll be there for the masters - shame that we can't go straight up the hill now, but at least there will be consistency as it will be exactly the same as the short leg of the 12 stage. I think the consensus was take 45 secs off for a 5k equivalent time (I think).

Yep Dean, that bit is soul destroying. And there's always an ice cream van there too..

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Get yourself there Dean. Firstly, the racing the day before will slow you lot down ever so slightly, and secondly you get to meet, me :)
    We'll become massive thread pals, and I can stop answering random lurkers mailing me "that Dean, he don't like you does he" 

:D
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Simon - hang on, the masters short leg IS different to the short leg of the 12 stage isn't it?
    You do go straight up the hill don't you? It's the 12 stage long n short they force you down first?

At least once you're to the top of that hill, you're already a mile or so in, and the last 2miles includes a nice downhill.

In other news, was sweating so much again lunchtime, I had to check the bbc weather for humidity.
    Different readings of 82 or 88%
    Glad it's not just me!
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Stevie G said:

I can stop answering random lurkers mailing me "that Dean, he don't like you does he" 

:D
    :smiley:  Brace yourself for more lurker comments :smiley:

regards the weather, i went out at lunch with a jacket, long & short sleave t shirt, gloves and buff.  Got outside and realised its a touch warmer than i exepcted and shed the jacket, gloves etc..
  • Sooooo much happening!! 

Dean amazing running, very well deserved. Brilliant 

I can't really comment as much individually but seems everyone is ticking over nicely and having some good results! Joe the stand out aside from Dean's world class result 

Been a pretty busy weekend for me with events, up and away 4AM Saturday, 4:30AM Sunday and then 2AM Monday to take Lucas to the airport where he and Inesa have gone back to Latvia for a few months. Feeling worse for wear now! 

Thought I would give myself a run out tomorrow at the Gosport 5KM #1 for a laugh.. 

I have done 60 miles this year, 320 ish miles in 2018.. and currently on the scales at 87.9 KG...……

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Well good luck with that Scott.

Sounds like a tough call. You working all the hours and Lucas and Inesa a thousand miles away.

🙂

• Go on Scotty - doooo it!!

Dean - showing his southern roots with all that gear on. Green army :)

SG - Yes - sad to say that the Masters stage will be the same as the 12 stage short leg from now on. No more just gliding up the hill. I hate that dogleg at the start, but at least it's easier to compare times now.

No Luton tonight, so just did 10 x 300 ish hill reps on the road over the canal. Going to incorporate hills more this summer than I have previously.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Simon - one word to that - arse! But at least they are all still short legs, so it's all good.
    And all still pending us actually getting a team together!

Scott - good to hear from you. Hope you have a good run out tonight.
    I hope to get down for at least one of them, but it's awkward looking at the fixtures. Tonight clashes with a Wycombe home for starters, and a couple of the others look a bit tight too.
    They all seem to clash with the 4mile series in south Wales that Jools let me know about - the Rose Inn ones?
    Got to do one of those too - and in fairness I can get away with it being a bit of a C race, as my pb is obviously grossly fat, having only raced 4milers in 2007 and 2008.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Right, following last week's hour tempo, of 2 laps threshold, 2 laps steady, this week was a variation, of 4 laps threshold, 4 laps steady.

Hard to say which is the harder - as one you're going through more changes in pace, and the other holding the faster pace for longer.
    Certainly feels a more beneficial session than say, the 4or 5mile threshold reps off stop recoveries.

Close to 9.5miles all in, 38 laps in a about seven seconds past the hour.

Just have to keep the concentration at times, as one swet of 4, i sprung from 1.27 to 1.31 to 1.26.
    In reality, that 1.27 could have been 1.27.99, and the 1.31, 1.13.01, so perhaps not the big swing it looks, especially if I took one split slightly too quick/too late etc, but all in pretty much what I was looking for.
  • ioweriower ✭✭✭
    Hi All, been a bit absent over the last few weeks in a hope that not actually talking about my niggles and issues would mean they actually didn't exist and would go away before Manchester on Sunday (it didn't work). I've got a lot to catch up on which I promise to do!

Left lower leg niggles (soleus, potential tib/fib pain) which popped up within the space of a few days seemed to be flitting in and out of existence and either left me hobbling about one day or allowing a casual 18 miler with little issue the next, meaning the last few weeks has been a bit pants in terms of what I've been able to do running wise. I went the way of thinking that the important stuff has been done and it's better to rest it as much as possible than risk making anything worse, basically just having a few short MP testers in the build up to Manchester.

Pacing, nutrition and effort wise everything worked well, but it was clear the legs didn't want to play ball. first few miles felt very comfortable and thankfully the niggles I've had seemed to disappear after 10 minutes or so. Got into the swing of things with gels etc and settled into target pace nicely, however I knew it wasn't going to happen fairly early on. Went through half way in 1:29:20 (target sub 3) which felt like a nice cruise along as far as the lungs were concerned but the legs were already feeling tight, tired and basically not right. (For reference I ran 1:21 at Woky and they felt 100x better there) Carried on trying to make it work thinking it may just be a rough patch but by 17/18 it was getting worse, the hip had started going tight, with the quad and calf soon following. I eased up a bit which helped but the time I was losing meant it would have been a 3:02 ish finish. As awful as it felt at the time I decided to jog it in, waiting for clubmates and locals and running with them for a bit as they passed, running the last few miles with Mrs. I to keep her going. (She was just outside her target of a 3:45 GFA on her first attempt so super happy!)

All in all, pretty disappointing but I got something out of the day and the process - crowds and support along the way was great and the other half and I finishing our first marathon together was special. Training wise there's a few things I'd do differently but I'm trying not to think about anything too much at the moment. I'll go back over things in a month or so (when the brain has calmed down!). 

Anyway, onwards!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    That's a shame Iower, that Wokey time shows there's a lot more in the tank on the right day.

Another Tempo from SG, doesn't seem like summer 5k training so what's the target?

Nothing exciting from me, felt good on Sunday and ran 13 @ 7:12 with the first 7 miles in the recovery zone and then picked it up on the downhills a bit. 10 today felt laboured despite not running Monday, although I did do a couple of hourse on the Wattbike.

More importantly though, I have decided to give up sugary treats. Initially for three weeks, just to see what difference it makes. I eat a stupid amount so it's quite a big thing for me. I've been on the scales and they reckon I am 23.6% fat, I don't believe that figure but I do believe there are some good gains to be had weight wise. Will I last though, I've never managed it before.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:
    Right, following last week's hour tempo, of 2 laps threshold, 2 laps steady, this week was a variation, of 4 laps threshold, 4 laps steady.

Hard to say which is the harder - as one you're going through more changes in pace, and the other holding the faster pace for longer.
    Certainly feels a more beneficial session than say, the 4or 5mile threshold reps off stop recoveries.

Close to 9.5miles all in, 38 laps in a about seven seconds past the hour.

Just have to keep the concentration at times, as one swet of 4, i sprung from 1.27 to 1.31 to 1.26.
    In reality, that 1.27 could have been 1.27.99, and the 1.31, 1.13.01, so perhaps not the big swing it looks, especially if I took one split slightly too quick/too late etc, but all in pretty much what I was looking for.
    Ok for a tempo SG. Especially early in the day.

Tough marathon IOWer. They always are when they go pear shaped. Good that you finished in a constructive manner. Well done. Next time maybe.

Talking of numbers. Session today. Up and down an off road, but firm track. It has a slight gradient so it was uphill (ok, it was about 0.5%) into the wind and vice versa.

Ran between two marks which took me about 40 seconds. Stopped about 20 seconds and returned. Did that for 40 minutes. Felt controlled. Pace was around six minute miles, sometimes faster sometimes a bit slower. HR was between 152 bpm and up to 161bpm.

I noted that the HR went up an average of 3 bpm 'after' I had stopped running. That's the principle of interval running. 

I concentrated on running form. How the session was affecting me (HR didn't hit 160 bpm until 25 minutes in) and whether or not this would be a session I could recover from in 48 hours.

Ok so far

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:
    scales reckon I am 23.6% fat, .
    to give a benchmark, a ginsters cornish pasty is 30% fat.    :D   
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    You're looking good for the 10k Ric! Had a good day in Manchester, trying to post the report but as usual it won't let me! There's even some travel problems for SG!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    God I've got some headache, this sugar withdrawal is like being a crack addict.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Manchester Marathon Race Report:

As most of you know I managed to tear a calf at the start of January, 13 weeks out from the marathon which didn't leave much time to recover. Did lots of work on the turbo trainer and all the rehab exercises and I was cleared to return to full training with 7 weeks to go. So spoke to Lewis (my coach) and we decided to go with 6 weeks training a one week taper and see where I was fitness wise. Only managed to get 3 longish runs in of 15m, 18 with MP and 20 with MP but I felt in good shape and that there was a possibility of a PB.

So race day started off badly with the prebooked taxi not turning up outside the hotel. It was chaos with runners waiting for taxis and getting stressed out. Eventually jumped on the shuttle bus, of which the driver didn't even realise the marathon was on! Ended up getting dropped off around 15mins from the start. Quick warm up and I got into the start pen at the front of Pen B. Felt really nervous this time so was just waiting impatiently for the gun to go off!

Plan set with Lewis was to run 6.40-6.45 for the first 3 miles and then try and settle into around 6.35 pace. As the gun goes off and we are walking towards the start someone lifted the tape up so I ended up going off at the back of Pen A in the first wave. First couple of miles I was still feeling nervous and tried to settle into a rhythm, first task was to get past the 3 hour pacer who seemed to be way ahead of pace! Came through 3 miles in about 20.30 which was behind pace but I was happy with.

Settled in from there and managed to keep ticking off 6.35s ish which I was happy with and I was feeling good. At around mile 7 I spotted a K&D club vest in the distance and decided to reel that in, quickly noticed that Jason was also in the same group. Caught my club mate at around mile 9 and asked him how he was doing, he said he was banking time for a sub 3 and was hoping to hold on! (He didn't) I then caught SJ and had a little chat and we ran together for a few miles. Went through halfway in 1.26.51 with SJ and another clubmate who was struggling big time.

Next few miles we all bang on pace and fairly uneventful. Around mile 17 I could feel my quads were starting to ache which wasn't a good sign! Mile 20 & 21 were 6.30 and 6.29 so I may have got a bit excited early! I knew a PB was on at this point and that sub 2.53 was going to be close. Mile 23 I was really aching and starting to struggle to hold pace, really had to start digging in. Concentrated on passing vests and moving through the field. 23,24,25 came in at 6.34, 6.36, 6.42 so I was just about holding on. After the 25m marker as I was just hoping for the finish! Came round the final corner to the long finish straight and just gave it everything I had, saw my family shortly before the finish and managed to find a sprint finish!

Final time of 2.53.17 so a 1.26.51/1.26.16 split, absolutely ecstatic with that off a severely shortened build up. Also the first race I really feel I have executed almost perfectly and left everything out there. Waited at the finish for Jason and the caught up with Nicko in the pub. A great day for all!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    How are the scales calculating body fat Reg? The one's at work have got some generic formula that's based on height, weight, gender & age. I know because if I change my age to 30 I lose half my body fat :D As a comparison I had my body fat measured with electrodes before Brighton 2015 when I was 78kg but only 13.3% body fat whereas the scales gave me 18% at that weight 2 years ago. You're bound to be getting lacklustre runs if you've suddenly abandoned sugar. I'd like to try this too but I'll wait til the marathon's done before attempting a seismic dietary adjustment - plus I baked a cake yesterday which needs eating :p
    Decent sessions SGRic.
    Bad luck Iower. Nice to bring the OH in though.
    Got out for my first run since Saturday tonight: 10K w 8x 200m hard/200m easy. Still no sign of taper magic - felt like a tough session.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Fantastic stuff Stevie - very well done indeed, and especially off of a disrupted build up! I've never managed such good splits and those final miles are particularly impressive!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Jooligan said:
    How are the scales calculating body fat Reg? The one's at work have got some generic formula that's based on height, weight, gender & age. I know because if I change my age to 30 I lose half my body fat :D As a comparison I had my body fat measured with electrodes before Brighton 2015 when I was 78kg but only 13.3% body fat whereas the scales gave me 18% at that weight 2 years ago. You're bound to be getting lacklustre runs if you've suddenly abandoned sugar.
    I have no idea Jools but probably what you suggest as they were only £10. Unfortunately I only started the sugar thing yesterday so I can't blame it for lacklustre runs! Still got a headache today and I am even more of an irritable bastard, god help my children as I am looking after them all day today.

Enjoyed the report Stevie, has banking time ever worked! Great pacing.

Pete, forgot re the duathlon, I got  50% refund in the end but it was the Newbury duathlon and it's very cheap, only £16.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    stevie Wh - great report and congrats on a well executed race.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Very well done St-Wh. Saw the result before you posted, and thought, wow, it was absolutely spot on to the 6.35 you had previously said was your aim. Not many work a marathon so expertly, and I dare say "proper" marathoners, would say your narrow negative split is the perfect way to run one. Great stuff.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

8 for me for a medium long today, as off to Old Trafford today. Have seen precisely, 3 United goals in 6 games this season,  3in 7 if we count the Arsenal away game, so with Barcelona being an animal of a team, I'll do very well to see that increase.

Thought I may have to hang about up north for a few days as I was struggling to shift Saturday's tickets, but touch wood that's done, so just a straight forward up and back...

see you in a few days!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    It’ll be worth the trip to see a Messi hat-trick, SG.
  • Good Work SW! Cracking splits too - Can't remember the world record holders splits, whether it s a slight positive split or not. Mine were 1.18 and 1.21 in Berlin. Seen quite a few with that slight positive split. Some of the top boys just have a jog round for 20 miles before racing the last bit.