Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Sounds like perfect weather to me! Rather similar (slightly colder, even) than Chester, where I had a long sleeve top under my club vest, but also shorts and calf sleeves. Don't forget to take a bin bag for the start.
    I'll look out for you at Gatwick!
  • Cal well done on your marathon, 2nd best times not a bad result.  Shame your friends wallet put a downer on your trip.  I think overseas marathons or going to a new place it's not just about the marathon but the trip itself, so the PB can be at the expense of a bit of tourism.  Your marathon later in the UK is in the UK? Perhaps less walking in the lead up lol.  I'm at Manchester too subject to PF, applied to pace Gatwick but withdrew as really need to rest or get foot sorted but heard good reviews.

Khani, sounds perfect weather, take something warm to wear at the start that you can throw away, but always best to dress what you'll finish in, wont take long to warm up.

Re the how long is that marathon? Is London longer etc etc It's what bugs alot of runners but I'm not that fussed.

Registered online for docs, they said need to pop in with ID and address proof.  I ran up and asked if I could use passport and Drivers Licence to which they said yes, popped down today with said docs and said cant use DL, so sent them a pdf of a bank statement which hadnt been sent to my address in the past but were happy.  Still 5 days till I am registered and next apt in end of april but I can ring on the day for an emergency apt.  Slow and steady wins the race!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Rob, yeah - Yorkshire is my Autumn race. Liverpool is next but is just a bit of (painful) fun seeing as it's not a PB course. Then again, I could surprise myself.
    Oh and pretty sure that, yes, I am a bit sick, but feels like the usual so hopefully it'll go in a day or two.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Feel better today so I've been out for a gentle 3 miler followed by an Epsom Salt bath. Stuck to dirt path when the option was there to avoid battering my feet any more. Nice morning.
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Decisions decisions. Manchester registration is now open. I had been thinking of doing Barcelona but Manchester is a cheaper and less disruptive option.

Manchester has a high probability of running in the rain though I guess.

I need to decide before it sells out.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Khani - I think you'll have a bit more time to decide on Manchester.
    Cal - In which case, I think you defo have sub 4 in you at some point. Recover well.
    Shades - I know if I want the most benefit from HADD I need to stick with it for a long time, but also know I'm not following it 100% as still including speed work, but figure if I follow the easy runs part, that should be good enough for now.
    Anyway 8 miles with strides today, feels like 0c this morning!!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Honk - likewise :)  hope to meet you at Barnstaple

Khanivore - take a selection of kit with you to Paris and decide nearer the time when you have local forecast.  Yes, buff and gloves.  If it gets a good bit warmer remember that you might want to roll your sleeves up, unlikely you can do that with a compression top.  But also if it doesn't warm up much you will feel the cold more when you get to 20ish miles and maybe slow a little.

Terrible weather forecast for my race too at Connemara, bad enough to maybe add an hour or even two to my finish time, hope the forecast improves before then :/ 

Robert - re overseas marathons, it can often work the other way too and many will do a PB as they are away from their normal environment work/family and other stresses and can just get on with running their race.

Good that you've now registered with a GP.  I would suggest though that you don't take an emergency appointment for your PF, your new doc might not be that kind to you if you do ;) 

Cal - glad the legs are working again and you're recovering.

Steve - I've never done the full training plan with Hadd as my heavy racing habit spoils that.   But I still get a lot of benefit from what Hadd I do.

Feels cold here too today.

Circuits were good, found it hard after having a week off and my legs are a bit sore mostly from Pilates yesterday.

Out to lunch today meeting a friend from Lancashire  that's down here on a walking holiday on the SW Coastal Path, I'm not going walking though, this is their 'day off'.  So eating and talking :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Regarding the weather, I’ve got Great Welsh marathon this weekend. It’s a nice event but last year conditions were horrendous - a very strong head wind for half the race and a lot of rain. I had to really dig in for a sub-4 that day. I’m hoping for an easier race in terms of the conditions and at the moment the forecast is looking favourable in that area - light cloud and a fresh breeze - so I hope that holds and the fresh breeze doesn’t turn into a strong one! I’m not ‘racing it’ as such so I’ll just see how I get on.

Carpets are down and so we’ve began the process of unpacking all the boxes. All the furniture is now where we want it because as we knew we were getting carpets there was no point in remaking furniture and unpacking everything before the carpet was fitted. Hopefully over the next few days it’ll start to feel more like home, once we’ve got pics/photos up etc. It’s looking nice though, so we’re both pleased.

I’ve hurt my shoulder though :( I tweaked it 2 or 3 weeks ago although it was fine to run, but it’s turned quite painful now. I’ve had this before and I know the exercise to do but I need a large rubber band to hang off the door, but I’ve currently been unable to find the band in amongst the boxes!
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Seeing my name next on that list scares me :)

I alternate between several shoes but they have all hit around 500 miles now. My favourite shoes, Saucony Mirage, were discontinued a couple of years ago. Lovely cushioning, low heel drop of 4mm, big toe box and quite light. Can’t get them any more.

i did introduce a new pair of shoes (new balance) in to the rotation and have done all my long runs in them with the plan to run Paris in them. However, whenever I run in my mirages they feel so nice and the new shoes feel hard. 

I just bought another saucony shoe with more cushioning. They are heavier but feel much plusher. I’ll only get to run 4-5 miles in them before the marathon. 

choice is to run in following - what would you do?

1) new balance 890v6 - the 130 mile shoes I bought for the marathon but feel a bit hard, nice and light though and fit well.

2) Saucony Mirage - feel plush, fit well and are my favourite shoe but are now 470 miles old

3) saucony triumph which will have just 4 miles on them by time of marathon - plush but a bit heavier than others
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't go for the heavy shoe, to be honest. Use that for training and then the other shoes will seem nice and light on race day.
    You might like the Epic React, Khani - bouncy and cushioned but still very light. Done most of my marathon training in them.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Khani, yeah, I wouldn't go for the heavier shoe for racing either.  It makes quite a difference running a marathon in lighter shoes, but obviously they need to be comfy.  From what you've said, for me it would be option 2.  I use Asics Roadhawks for all my marathons and one pair has done 540 miles and they're still fine at the moment - it just depends on how they feel really.  I know when they're on the way out as I start to feel it in my knees, so once that happens they get binned or turned into general-wear trainers. 
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Cool. I’ll wait for Shades to comment too but for now the mirages feel like the ones.

Good point about training in heavy shoes and racing in light.

• H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    Signed up for Barnstaple last night, feels good to have an event to train for, but I also remember how difficult the last few miles of a marathon can feel. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G- we had perfect conditions at Llanelli 2 weeks ago for my 40 miler so hope you get the same on Sunday.  But there always seems to be a bit of a headwind at the out and back section by the apartments.

Good to hear you're settling in well in your new home. Time to stop the manual labour for a while to let that shoulder heal.

Khanivore - wear the Mirages. I find Saucony shoes seem to last well past the 500 miles and if they still feel good to you then that's what matters.  I would suggest contacting Saucony at some point and asking them which of their current shoes are the closest to your beloved Mirages.

Honk - that's great news. You'll be on next week's list. 😁

Had a lovely day out with my friend, amazing fish and chips at a pub.  That's what we usually eat when we meet as it's usually the night before a marathon. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Khanivore - I have just looked up your Mirage shoes on my favourite shoe review website runrepeat and it says that the most similar is the Saucony Zealot and Kinvera.  Might be worth looking at them sometime.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    SHADES said:
    Good to hear you're settling in well in your new home. Time to stop the manual labour for a while to let that shoulder heal.

Shades, I've interpreted that as follows, which is what I've just said to OH: "Coach Shades said I'm not allowed to do any work for a few days, at least".  I hope that's what you meant, as OH didn't seem that impressed.  ;)  

In all seriousness, I've not been able to run today - paracetamol takes the edge off, but otherwise it's quite painful.  Hopefully it'll clear up for the weekend.

Sounds like you had a good day with your friend :)  
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    SHADES said:
    Khanivore - I have just looked up your Mirage shoes on my favourite shoe review website runrepeat and it says that the most similar is the Saucony Zealot and Kinvera.  Might be worth looking at them sometime.
    Thanks @SHADES I’ll check out that site. I have a pair of kinvara. I use them for speed work when I do it. I love them but for one very important fact. They have a narrow toe box :( If they had a bigger toe box they’d be my favourite shoe. Will check out the zealots and more recent kinvara in case they increased toe box size.
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Big_G said:
    SHADES said:

Shades, I've interpreted that as follows, which is what I've just said to OH: "Coach Shades said I'm not allowed to do any work for a few days, at least".  I hope that's what you meant, as OH didn't seem that impressed.  ;)  
    Hhahhahahahah !!! :) Brilliant :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G- Ha, ha. Just tell your OH that a bit of recovery time out to let your shoulder heal and you'll be able to labour twice as hard.😋 Maybe try one paracetamol and one ibuprofen, might be more effective.

Khanivore - some of the Saucony shoes are coming up a bit tight in the toe box, might mean going up half a size to get a more comfortable fit. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Khani-I've done Manchester 3 out of 4 years now and no sign of rain.
    Big G-I read shades' note the same so take time off.
    6 miles after work,back to usual easy pace with just a small ache at the top of the thigh to go.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - you've recovered very quickly from Manchester.   What's next for you in the way of races?

Just checked in for my flight to Dublin tomorrow morning, now off to check the forecast yet again, hoping for an improvement :/

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    SHADES said:
    Big G- Ha, ha. Just tell your OH that a bit of recovery time out to let your shoulder heal and you'll be able to labour twice as hard.😋  
    I've "forgotten" to pass that info on... ;) 

Shoulder is still very sore this morning, although I suppose marginally better than yesterday.  If the race had been this morning or yesterday morning, I'd have been a DNS :(  Fingers crossed it gets better.  At the moment, I'm not sure if I can even drive a longer distance, so I'll just have to see how I am tomorrow (I'm supposed to be going to Cardiff tomorrow AM).

I see there's a bit of controversy over this year's Two Oceans, which is happening on Easter Saturday (I believe it always happens on Easter Saturday).  They've just announced that the cutoffs are being extended for this year's race, so rather than being 7hrs it's going to 7.5hrs.  To me the main issue is that runners have had to do a qualifying marathon in under 5hrs, so those that went over that are possibly rightly aggrieved, due to the lateness of the announcement of the new cut offs.  This year is its 50th running of the event and there are 2000 extra runners I think, so it could be all to do with that.  From what I can understand the race isn't chip timed at the start (so the time is from gun to finish mat), and it can take a few minutes to cross the start line, so maybe they've taken that into account as there may be extra congestion I suppose.

I've been doing quite a lot of reading around and I believe that the elevation is about 3000ft so less than the DD.  They also award different coloured medals depending on what the finish time is.  Presuming that the qualifying races remain the same for 2020, there are 10 UK races that count as qualifying, which include Loch Ness and Cornish and I'm already planning on doing both, which is good.  For this year's event, the qualifying window opened in July 2018 and closed mid-March 2019.

I'm still nowhere near 100% sure if I'm doing it in 2020, but I've enjoyed reading reviews etc whilst nursing my shoulder :) 
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    My run this am was similar temp to expected temp in Paris. I did another dress rehearsal. 

This time I wore a loose fitting thin full sleeve top (so I can roll up the sleeves as per your great advice re compression top @SHADES) and my running vest over the top so I can remove the full sleeve top if I overheat. I really can’t tell if it’s a layer too much or not now though. It felt nice but then I only ran 4 miles.

I was wearing my very thin running gloves - fingers were freezing. I’ll stick to these though as don’t want to wear the thick ones.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - shoulder injuries often feel worse first thing as sleeping seems to aggravate the pain so if it feels slightly better that's good.   

I've never looked at the entry requirements for Two Oceans, but I don't think the runners should be annoyed about the extended cut off not being reflected in the qualifying time, with that climb if they extended the qualifying time to 5:30 those close to that could struggle to make 7.5 hours.

Do you automatically get a place if you have a qualifying time/event or is it a ballot?

Khanivore - good idea to do a test run in your race kit.   I agree the thinner gloves should be OK, you'll be running faster in the race.  I use thinner gloves in a race.

Another alternative might be a short sleeved shirt with arm warmers which you can peel off if you get too hot.   Wear your vest as the top layer, but not the Rolf Harris one ;)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, as far as I can tell, for the Ultra there's currently no ballot, but for the Half marathon they introduced one for this year's event.  However, I believe that for this year's event the Ultra sold out in around 8hrs, so some are concerned they may introduce a ballot process for 2020, and we should know that in October, with entries opening in November.  Runners then have until March to submit a qualifying time, but I should have it by November anyway from both Loch Ness and Cornish.  If I get a sub-3:30 (I did 3:28 last year at Loch Ness), I'll be in the second pen, or sub-4 I'll be in the third one.  Entries opening in November does seem quite late, as really I'd like flights and everything sorted by then I think.  I suppose I could book refundable accommodation and then just get the flight sorted as soon as I know I'm definitely in....if I decide to go for it!  

Strangely for such a big event, the website doesn't seem to display correctly on my PC and I've tried using different browsers.  The "Entry Process" page displays nothing at the moment, so the above is mainly from speaking to a couple of people on line who've done it before.
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    @SHADES hahaha omg you remembered the Rolf debacle? :) What a shocker that was! :) 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Berlin Marathon is also a qualifying event, so I could get it there and potentially more likely to get a sub-3:30 if I'm running well.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - Stop mentioning Two Oceans....had me looking then!!
    9m with 6*1k today....1k reps came out at 3:46/3:42/3:42/3:44/3:56/3:41, other than the 5th rep, I'm happy with those as haven't done any 5k paced stuff since Feb 2018!!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I've just had a quick look at the Two Oceans website.  I'm not sure which pages you mean that won't display properly on your browser, all the pages I selected showed up OK, I use Edge.   I see International athletes are accepted automatically so I guess as long as you know the date of the event you'd be able to book your flights. It says that even if the entries are closed an international athlete can still get a place, by emailing.  I agree wouldn't really want to wait until November to book the flight, think price wise that would make a difference especially if it's Easter time.

Steve - we're so easily led!   Two Oceans is a race I'd like to do too. :) 

Khanivore - re your thin gloves, if you think you'll be a bit chilly at the start put a pair of latex gloves on over your gloves then discard later when you're warm.   Just packed some for myself as we have heavy rain forecast for my race on Sunday and plan to try and keep my hands dry.