Sub 3

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Back in the day WTG had a footy coach when he was young that used to tell the players to "kick it hard, and dont be shit". Its been claimed by others since inc Steve Way (who was on here as Marigold).

OO - cold would be better for perfomance than heat, unless its -5 like when i parked up at chichester 10k in feb. Im not looking re Brighton yet as itll only piss me off on the day when the wind pushes me back, compared to what was promised. I'll have look friday.

My Dad is having surgery again, later today. Fingers crossed again. Surgery is a worry.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone; ran in Manchester yesterday and finally managed to join the sub-3 crew with a 2:57; so finally feel qualified to post here rather than just lurking and being in awe of everyone's pace!

• @nicko1981 great stuff! How did the race go? What was your half split? You can't just give us the time and nothing else?!

@TR thoughts and love, hope it goes well with your dad.  
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Haha sorry didn't want to over-indulge myself on a first post! - left my main ramblings to the sub3:15 thread.

Splits were 1:29:00 and 1:28:43; race was fairly uneventful, my aim was to make sure I didn't go out too fast and keep consistent so I started off behind the 3hr pacer, gradually went ahead and then just stuck it out. 

Last proper mara was London last year where I went out quick and then faded even quicker in the heat for a 3:12 - that was a PB by 30 seconds but I was expecting better so getting good weather and a good result at Manc was a must for me. 7th marathon after starting running 6 years ago and dropping a large amount of weight - I never dreamt sub 3 would be achievable so super happy to have done it.

Met StevieWh at the pub at the end who as you know also had an amazing race and a great PB. 
  • Hope it goes well TR.

Welcome nicko.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nicko, SW, bravo chaps just what it says on the tin with room to spare.
    WTGY.. great to see you pounding the marathon trails again.  Considering you're currently more a hunk than a racing snake that's a very decent result. :) See you at London next year.
    BTW the only marathon where I've been given proper draught beer after the finish line was in Berlin 2000, complete with tables and parasols!
    Jools.. sorry to hear of further setbacks, hope the year is luckier for you from now.
    TR.. my nephew had to stay in hospital for longer than expected due to repeat infections post-op.  It does seem to be a major risk after surgery - hope your Dad battles through it.
    Padams.. good to see you are all hopefully out of the vicious circle of illness in the family.
    Charlie.. more good miles in the bag.  Best of luck with the training tweaks, hope they work for you.
    Great long runs at the weekend CD & TGO.
    ES.. sounds like you're in good nick, nice to see you posting again.
    EE.. one of my favourites is 'HTFU' (harden the f**k up!)
    Just over 11m for me today, weird weather couldn't decide if it wanted to be warm or chilly.
    Another weekend result belonging firmly in the 'blimey' category was Irishman Tommy Hughes who ran the Rotterdam marathon in 2:30.15 as a V59!  Bearing in mind the V60 WR is 2:36.30 he must be in with a chance of breaking that if he keeps body & soul together for another year.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good for you Nicko, good to see you proud of your performance. Pride lasts forever.

Wardi - the lung infection is due to the remaining inners not flowing yet (and backing up), the surgery is to correct rhr blockage......top bombing as an m59 by that fella.......i was reading about  a yorshire (?) lass rhe other day that was a skinny crossfitter but within a few recent mara campaigns has gone 3.22, 2.47 and 2.36. Hell of a progression.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Went back to fizz and got him to have a poke about higher in my lower back, and he hit the jackpot for sure. Very sore. It radiated into my hammy, which led him to find a spot higher in my hammy too. So hopefully im better off for going back there. Got to keep the heat and freeing off exercises going. Glad i didnt put it down to taperchondria, my head is still tingling from the improvements.

No news from hospital yet.
  • TT - I was glad to read that you got a definitive diagnosis. Onwards and upwards!

WTGY - that's a great race report, I enjoyed reading that!

Padams - Hope the family is all better soon.

CW - I'm with TR - you could be in better shape than you think.

TR - sorry to hear about your dad, best wishes.

Day off so nothing to report here!
  • Glad physio has helped TR. Hope the news about your dad is better today.

Blimey Wardi - that's a good example of older and faster! It was sunny and warm here yesterday but with a strong cold wind so it looked nice but didn't feel it.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

TR - hopefully just a minor setback for your dad.

Thanks for all the nice messages, I think we're nearly there recovery-wise. I'm still only eating about half my usual amount, and tummy is grumbling occasionally, but it is gradually getting better.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    TR: hope your dad is ok.  I think you mean Hayley C - she certainly seems to have a lot of talent.  Glad the physio helped.

No running yesterday as I left for Plymouth at 6am and got back at 10pm.  Bit groggy this morning (although the cats didn't care, and still demanded breakfast with menaces from sparrowfart) but thankfully able to work from home and then go for a lunchtime run once I've woken up a bit!
  • thank you LMH, tbh they events may have helped with the mindset 
    Padams / OO thanks re ironman - I decided on the course on Sunday I was going to give it a good shot at the IM, but I'm going to complete rather than compete, I think that sensible for first one.
    Thank You CW, seeing folk Ive run fast with in the past (such as yourself) and they're still up there does inspire me  
    TR thanks for keeping this thread moving after all these years, its such a big help. And there were a few things that did go through my mind from here whilst running. Berlin is exciting on where I could be, I need to change could to will
    TR / EE this weekend? 
    well done and welcome Nicko negative splits dont happen to often in marathons, you'll have come past me at some point later on. 
    thanks Wardi, great news on the Berlin beer tent - do they still do that? 
    cheers ES, I thought it was only going to be brief

Managed to throw my leg over the bike last night and cycled (by accident) the same distance as Sunday - its a decent bike ride let alone a run 
  • Oh, Something I forgot, Id said Id been doing yoga for the last few weeks, I have never ever had my breathing whilst running as controlled as I could on Sunday, felt like I was breathing so deeply, and steady exhaling, I'll stick the HR back on see whats happening as things get more serious! should help with my swimming too I reckon. Definitely going to keep it up! 
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Welcome and congrats, nicko! You were really sensible pacing-wise there, good stuff.

TR -- good luck with your Dad, sorry about the lack of sleep too! Glad to hear the physio is onto something though. And you're right, I'll play it by ear a bit looking at HR at VLM.

LMH -- my legs were a bit tragic yesterday, I found in a little plod round town early, so I went for rather overdressed cycling for my commutes (8M + 20M) as a bit of heat acclimatisation. Still ploddy this morning, but did a "hill" (bridge) session and then staggered to work, so 12+M already on the clock for today with plenty more to come. BUT I might take tomorrow off (bike day) so I can do some faster running on Thurs am on fresher legs, not sure yet.

• WTGY - sorry if you've already said - which IM are you doing?

I wonder what you need to change to recover better Charlie? It seems really strange that despite consistent high mileage you suffer so much.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Manchester Marathon Race Report:

As most of you know I managed to tear a calf at the start of January, 13 weeks out from the marathon which didn't leave much time to recover. Did lots of work on the turbo trainer and all the rehab exercises and I was cleared to return to full training with 7 weeks to go. So spoke to Lewis (my coach) and we decided to go with 6 weeks training a one week taper and see where I was fitness wise. Only managed to get 3 longish runs in of 15m, 18 with MP and 20 with MP but I felt in good shape and that there was a possibility of a PB.

So race day started off badly with the prebooked taxi not turning up outside the hotel. It was chaos with runners waiting for taxis and getting stressed out. Eventually jumped on the shuttle bus, of which the driver didn't even realise the marathon was on! Ended up getting dropped off around 15mins from the start. Quick warm up and I got into the start pen at the front of Pen B. Felt really nervous this time so was just waiting impatiently for the gun to go off!

Plan set with Lewis was to run 6.40-6.45 for the first 3 miles and then try and settle into around 6.35 pace. As the gun goes off and we are walking towards the start someone lifted the tape up so I ended up going off at the back of Pen A in the first wave. First couple of miles I was still feeling nervous and tried to settle into a rhythm, first task was to get past the 3 hour pacer who seemed to be way ahead of pace! Came through 3 miles in about 20.30 which was behind pace but I was happy with.

Settled in from there and managed to keep ticking off 6.35s ish which I was happy with and I was feeling good. At around mile 7 I spotted a K&D club vest in the distance and decided to reel that in, quickly noticed that Jason was also in the same group. Caught my club mate at around mile 9 and asked him how he was doing, he said he was banking time for a sub 3 and was hoping to hold on! (He didn't) I then caught SJ and had a little chat and we ran together for a few miles. Went through halfway in 1.26.51 with SJ and another clubmate who was struggling big time.

Next few miles we all bang on pace and fairly uneventful. Around mile 17 I could feel my quads were starting to ache which wasn't a good sign! Mile 20 & 21 were 6.30 and 6.29 so I may have got a bit excited early! I knew a PB was on at this point and that sub 2.53 was going to be close. Mile 23 I was really aching and starting to struggle to hold pace, really had to start digging in. Concentrated on passing vests and moving through the field. 23,24,25 came in at 6.34, 6.36, 6.42 so I was just about holding on. After the 25m marker as I was just hoping for the finish! Came round the final corner to the long finish straight and just gave it everything I had, saw my family shortly before the finish and managed to find a sprint finish!

Final time of 2.53.17 so a 1.26.51/1.26.16 split, absolutely ecstatic with that off a severely shortened build up. Also the first race I really feel I have executed almost perfectly and left everything out there. Waited at the finish for Jason and the caught up with Nicko in the pub. A great day for all!
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Many congratulations Nicko, beautifully run and welcome to the sub-3 club. 
    That really was a triumph StevieWh considering the hampered training and relative lack of long runs. Enjoyed the report sounded like you had a really good race plan. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Stevie- cracking run and report, your coach knows his onions. You could go fast in Berlin !

Wtg - Keep going to Berlin and you will be back under 3 hours. I have no club mates and no training partners, so putting  my hopes on here helps make me accountable, and we all encourage each other along. Ive been here since 2006. Look at page 1 to see who else has been here  long time.

Jools - thats her. The progression is amazing eso from 3.22 to 2.47 in one jump.

I took a rest day today to let the pounding fron the fizz soak in, first one since Christmas Day too. My dad had surgery for his complications, he wasnt very well when i saw him today, he is back in critical care, and i found it quite upsetting. Tough times.

On brighter news the 18 year old is out pn the town again today (someone elses 18th), so could be a long night again as the SPO worries.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Nice report and running WTG 
    STevie W - encouraged by your performance after an injury and a shortened build up.
    Hope you and your family are through it now Padams.
    Congrats Nicko - thats a nicley paced run

6 for me today with 4 and a bit at 5.40 or less. Kind of a junk run, too short to be an MP session, too slow to be a HMP session. Still, felt good to be doing something other than rehabilitation
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Great report SW - really captured the essence of your race experience. Fantastic result too especially given the total lack of LRs. As I said before you've a lot more progress awaiting you.
    Sorry to hear things are still not at settled with your dad TR.
    Got out for my first run since Saturday tonight: 10K w 8x 200m hard/200m easy. Still no sign of taper magic - felt like a tough session.
  • @StevieWh Thank you, you inspire my recovery for the next few weeks to make the end-May start line. 

@TR thinking of you and your family at what I am sure is a stressful time. 

@Jooligan you will get there I'm sure, tapers for me always feel the same, I always take that sluggishness as a sign you're now on your way to the peak. 

6 mile for me and 8x800m @5k effort on a towpath today, first time I've been back up at that effort for 5 weeks. My hip still holding together well, and feel the need to try out a park run or 10k soon to see what my actual speed base is as I plan the next 7 weeks to Liverpool. 
  • Joolska - glad to read you will be posting more frequently and hoping you can build from here with no more bad luck.

Nicko - congrats on the sub3 and doing it in some style too.

Wtgy - enjoyed the honesty in your report mate. Glad to see you in such high spirits and motivated for more to come. Well done on getting on the bike so soon.

Stevie - enjoyed your report also and pleased to have been in the vicinity of another awesome race for you. Agree with Jooligan that a lot more to come when everything comes together after some more solid training. You have an effortless style. Sadly I won't be on pacing duties in Berlin so you'll have to reel someone else in :)

LMH - you more than most will be aware the effect the taper has on pace come race day. I bet you have a blinder at London despite the lack of comparative pace atm. Keep the faith.

Jooligan - noticed you had a few days break. Good to see you on the mend.

Mennania - fair enough re your assessment of your session but could be seen as a short sharp speed effort to remind the legs of the pace? Tapping into the neuromuscular system etc.

CW - Most impressive to keep crushing your legs like you have been recently. I gather this is your tried and tested method but man it makes for uncomfortable viewing on strava, complete your short descriptions describing the agony your legs are in.

TR - as others, thinking of you and hoping your dad improves. Puts all this running business into perspective. I'm the worrier in our house so will be me pacing the landing when my lad ventures out in a few years.

I'm coming down with a cold I reckon which is good timing. Legs don't feel too bad today with some soreness going downstairs but nowhere near as bad as previously felt. I should think some gentle jogging on grass at the weekend will be possible.

Plenty of rest and recovery for the brighton-bound runners. Looking forwards to it.
  • Thoughts with you and yours TR.

Missed you Joolska - good to see you back at it.

Great race and report Stevie - you're obviously going to go much faster.

First run since Saturday Jooligan? Are you ok?

Mennania - good for the head is good.

I hope you're right sj. It's strange how it's all been so different this year. The pace just disappeared after Brass but then the life stress started on the 4th January which may have something to do with it.

Was going to do my last long run this morning but tomorrow looks like a better day weather wise and I usually do it on the Thursday so I may hedge my bets and MLR this morning then LSR if I feel ok and conditions are good tomorrow or just do another MLR tomorrow and call it tapering if not.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed for you, TR.

Great race report, Stevie.  What fantastic pacing - and clearly more to come off a less disrupted buildup.

Nothing exciting training wise here: 6 miles yesterday and 7 miles today.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    TR - fingers crossed for your Dad.

WTGY - so close! Well done! Glad you enjoyed it too! Interesting on the yoga as it is something that has been recommended to me to help manage the symptoms. A benefit to my running would be a nice bonus.

Stevie - nice report too!

Padams - hopefully you're all on the mend now.

nicko - congrats and welcome. Nice splits.

Cheers ES.

Joolska - how are you doing now? Injury free?

Menn - nothing wrong with a light tempo like that. 

TGO - sounds like a good workout.

I'm getting better at keeping a lid on things and being restrictive now I understand why. I stuck to just 1 x 6m moderate on Monday, and then a 6m moderate with 5 x {2min fast, 1min easy} yesterday. Fasts were probably current 10km pace and quicker - first was 5:40 and the rest felt quicker. Average of 5:56 for the 14mins was decent given the 4mins of recovery in there. Will try track this evening and see how that goes.
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    StevieWh -- fantastic, what a great day!

LMH, SJ -- my legs are a complete mystery to me. I'd love to know why they get so horribly ploddish. A near-MV55 clubmate bagged a sub-2:45 at MCR and yesterday ran 7:30s in his second training run of the day (now for VLM). While I was at more like 9:30s just from a much slower training marathon. Something is happening in those muscles, but I don't know what! So I just have to work around it as my big limitation.

So I had a total of 21M overdressed but very slow yesterday, feeble biking today, hopefully some qualityish in the morning having given my legs a day off. I didn't intend to start tapering this week but in mileage terms I will certainly have done so -- only way to quickly add some icing to the cake.

• Delurks for a bit - would like to post more, but I can only update properly on one thread :) - hope everyone is fit and well

Many London types this year? There was quite a few last year...

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Here you are SC2, the legendary forthcoming marathon list.  I have removed our unfortunate fellow athlete Jools from the VLM participants.
    14th April -   Brighton.. TR, EE, TGO, Jooligan
    14th April -   Paris..  OO #576 A >2.49   B >2.50  C >2.55 
    15th April -   Boston.. DanA
    28th April -   VLM.. LMH, CC2, CharlieW, Wardi, OO, JoeB, DanA, CD, ES, Al_P
    ..I have also heard elsewhere that both Njord and Lord Didsbury will be in attendance.

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    14th April -   Brighton.. TR, EE, TGO, Jooligan
    14th April -   Paris..  OO #576 A >2.49   B >2.50  C >2.55  
    15th April -   Boston.. DanA
    28th April -   VLM.. LMH, CC2, CharlieW, Wardi, OO A >2.49   B >2.50  C >2.55 , JoeB, DanA, CD, ES, Al_P

As we are talking London, why not eh! 

On BB podcast, Prof Andy Jones top tip for a good marathon run, once you've done most of everything else, was drafting.  Not something I've ever really done but will give it a go this Sunday.