Sub 3

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good progress Menn

Good progress from you too TT

CW - if your legs are tired on those slow runs then thats fine, if they hurt then its time to change it up a bit. Having said that if you keep doing what you are doing you will get the same results, when you get ed up with that or need a change to get more gains then that might be the time to change........the good thing that the likes of Stevie has is a coach who will set him what he needs rather than what stevie likes/wants........fair play to the M55 2.45, but a double on the tuesday after is plain daft. I fail to see what possible good that is doing.

Thanks for all the good vibes. I have lost focus a bit for Brighton, but as long as there is no worsening then I'll run Sunday. Not really sure where i am mentally though. However, it is what it is, and is an uncontrollable.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Love this time of year with all the big marathons and seeing how you lot do, especially if I don't have the pressure of doing one myself! Marders seems to be in good form (16M at about 5:10s at the weekend...) so will be interesting to see how he does.

I think we're all sorted now in terms of being healthy (for now!). I did an easy 4M on Tuesday and was OK (although it felt a bit harder than it should have done) and 5.5M yesterday was better, including some slightly harder sections.

Should hopefully be able to fit in 6M or so this evening before nursery pick-up.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    TR - I can fully get the lost focus. Continued good vibes!

CW - personally I'd like to see you do a block of 10k paced stuff to sharpen up a bit. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised what a few weeks would give you on top of your endurance.

I'm doing London too so will update the list after this. Went to track last night. First time in longer than I can remember. Aim was 1k reps, but to be sensible and remember that I need to rebuild slowly. I set a target of 6 at a touch inside 10k effort and found a fully functioning metronome. Expected 3:30 (assuming I would be over 35 at the moment) but got 3:27, 26, 26, 26, 25, and finished with a 3:16 (36 last 200) which felt better than I expected.

Rough plan at the moment is to do 6 workouts (1 long tempo, 1short tempo, 2 x track sessions, 2 x fartlek/hills) across two weeks, but with just a 2 x 6m relaxed on the days in between (or a single 10-12m relaxed if it's a Saturday). As I adapt I'll lengthen out the 2 x 6m.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    14th April -   Brighton: TR, EE, TGO, Jooligan.

14th April -   Paris:  OO #576 A >2.49   B >2.50  C >2.55  

15th April -   Boston: DanA

28th April -   VLM: LMH, CC2, CharlieW, Wardi, OO A >2.49   B >2.50  C >2.55 , JoeB, DanA, CD, ES, Al_P, TT (training run).
  • TickTockTickTock ✭✭✭

I have not posted for while but dipping into to read when I can. Too much has happened to comment on everything but great to see the Manchester trio running well. Really pleased to see SJ build upon Abingdon last year and nice to see a post race celebratory photo posted on strava. I loved the race reports.

TR - hope things are improving with your Dad, I know how from personal experience how difficult it can be coping  with an ill elderly parent . You have put in a lot of hard miles since Abo so hoping to see you run a good time.

Good luck to others at Brighton, Paris and Boston - I hope the weather is kind to you all and you run races you are happy with.

My training for London has gone ok. Had a niggle last week which meant I didn't run for a few days though did get out on bike for some long rides. My biggest issue at the moment is hay fever from tree pollen -  the air quality in London is awful at the moment. I spend 2.5 hours commuting on my bike and usually run at lunchtime so seem to spend most the time at moment sneezing, with stinging eyes and running nose. Just got to dose up on the meds and hope the pollen clears soon.

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Just a heads up for the investors in here.  Eliud Kipchoge has been priced up by the bookies at 8/11 for the win at London (skybet, paddy power).  That's a 73% return on your money.  The organisers & BBC will obviously big up Mo Farah (11/4), but the cognoscenti will be piling into the king.

When the fun stops, Eliud keeps going...
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    TR, TT -- I reverted more to my old low-mileage days by only biking yesterday (even that felt ploddish), and attempting a 10x0.5 mile session this morning. The pace was still poor, but it got my HR up to just about marathon levels, so hopefully useful. Then steady (~7:25/M) to make it a HM. Interestingly after a 20 min break to say hello to the Mrs and drink a pint of tea, I found myself at 9 min/M when I started my commute, though it got better. Instant plods after a few mins sitting down. Maybe that's a clue of some sort. I'm certainly not getting the niggles I used to on a higher-quality regime, so that's a plus.

Dan -- top tip! We have a friend who's put money on ME doing sub-2:40 some years, no idea where she finds a bookie willing to take that on. Failed her one year with a 2:40:05...

• Cheers for the list all! I'll be watching as usual, think i'll be opposite the Farriers arms on Lower st, near Surrey Quays, just before the right hand turn by the Wetherspoons (might go in there too..).

Last year I got a great spot on about 22 miles too.

Tick Tock - agree about the air quality, Monday night in London was terrible. Bit fresher now tho.

• 14th April -   Brighton: TR, EE, TGO, Jooligan.

28th April -   VLM: LMH, CC2, CharlieW, Wardi, OO A >2.49   B >2.50  C >2.55 , JoeB, DanA, CD, ES, Al_P, TT (training run). CRAB.

Just to avoid any other fckr adding me to a list.

As you were.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Ah, CRAB is now also on ze list.  Anyone know if Ode will be joining in?
    TT.. good to see you're on the start line, any idea what your target pace will be on the day?
    Dan.. one punt I couldn't resist was El Mouaziz in 2001.  The previous 3 years had seen him 2nd, 1st & 2nd and I got odds of 8-1 which seemed very generous!
    Tick Tock.. training sounds positive but the London air quality is a worry.  Has it been like this before?
    SW.. loved your write up, summed up a great day for you very well.  Amazing result off a truncated build up.
    Safe journeys and best of luck in your marathons this weekend OO & Dan.
    Nice conditions up here today so took advantage to rack up 18.3 miles in mostly sunny skies, had to strip a layer off with 5m to go as it did warm up sigificantly.  Followed that with a pint of tea a la Charlie, though a beerio might be the order of the day later.
  • TickTockTickTock ✭✭✭
    Good mid-week miles Wardi, is that your last long one before London. I think the tree pollen has come out a few weeks earlier than usual and the pollen count seems to be higher - or my anti-histamines are no longer as effective. 

I did 11 miles earlier with 2x2 at MP - came out around 6:45 pace but felt tough, though outside of races I struggle to run MP.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Tick Tock - my youngest is usually hit by tree pollen, but hasnt been yet, usually starts in March.

Wardi - ode is indeed in.

Things have picked up a bit, and my dad was a lot brighter today. He was even alert enough to ask me when my big race was, didnt dare tell him i felt too shattered to run, and just told him its Sunday. So day trip to Brighton tomorrow, to collect a number.
  • Great to read your dad has improved TR. Also glad to read you will be collecting your number for Sunday.

Glad to hear the Padams household has recovered from recent illness.

Nice to see the lists coming together and some familiar names popping up too. Hope everyone is well and raring to go.

• Good news TR - hope he continues to improve. I know that you'll think of him when you need to dig deep.

TickTock - may be worth trying a change of antihistamine?

Nice miles Wardi, just 15 for me yesterday which is the longest I will run before London now <<gulp>>

Any chance of you driving a sub 2.55 train Crab?

Is it still forecast to be cold in Paris on Sunday?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    TR - great news with your Dad. Hopefully you perk up between now and Sunday.

TkTk - I'll second LMH' shout of a different antihistamine; some of them have different ingredients. I also struggle running MP outside of race day.

Dan - good spot on the odds. On it. I fancy Linet Masai as an each way. 2:23 debut in Amsterdam. Only good enough for 5th, but a slight negative split for your first, backed up by a good track pedigree, and currently 13/1 is worth interest imho.

CW - definite plus to be niggle free. Interesting with the plods after sitting down. Do you get a regular massage?

Wardi - nice miles! No idea on pace yet. Will see how I get on over the next few weeks, but something in the 90-95% of current MP is the likely plan.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    LMH - Bloody brass monkeys, Brighton too, Boston warmer but thundery.  Apart from being very chilly at the start "2C but feels like -1C" according to the BBC, it should be ideal weather for fast marathoning, cool, not much of a breeze and fair/ sunny.   Weighing in at just over 66.5 kg this morning, feel in good shape so all systems go so the plan is flight, arrive in Paris enter through the EU passports gate (another phew!) dash to the Eiffel Tower for my sons 2 km fun run, then Expo and then maybe time to relax.   I am number #576 for tracking and aiming for an 83/85 ish split. 
    TR - Really good news.  Good luck for Brighton.  You too Jooligan & EE. 
    DanA - Best of luck in the home of the modern day marathon.  
    Remember we go this - LNBS. 
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    TR - good news on the Father front.

OO - Enjoy Paris! I seem to remember the expo is a bit of a sod to get to. It may well have moved by now, or maybe I just didnt know where I was going. If the temp is as low as that you will need to take a couple of layers as the start on the Champs is in the shade. It was Red hot when I ran it!!

Good luck all Brighton runners!!

I will put my name on the list next week for Edi once ive got a solid week down. 14 in 1.35 on wed and a calm 6 yesterday in pegasus without issues. 

• Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭
    Wardi- You called. Looking forward to catching up with everyone either on Red or at the Red lion.

dan- i'll have some of that. Can't beat the 3/1 on wanjiru who said he was going to go for the world record in 2009 I think.

14th April -   Brighton: TR, EE, TGO, Jooligan.

28th April -   VLM: LMH, CC2, CharlieW, Wardi, OO A >2.49   B >2.50  C >2.55 , JoeB, DanA, CD, ES, Al_P, TT (training run). CRAB, Ode
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Menn - I am on it - odd long socks for impromtu arm warmers.  Dress for the 2 km!  I remember you saying Paris was your 5th favourite marathon, just checking you've run more than 5 yeah?  For me so far, London, Valencia, Berlin, Barcelona & in joint 5th place Gran Canaria / Llanelli.
    Welcome back Crab and Ode1085.  
  • Morning all.

Not been on much recently - I prefer to retreat into my own little bubble in A race week! Five miles with 90 sec pushes Tues, four miles Weds and massage yesterday and I'm pretty set for Brighton Sunday.

Best of luck to all those racing this weekend in Paris, Brighton and elsewhere. Jooligan/TR - hope to see you at the Withdean start at some point. Strava account is in my signature if anyone wants to track/get an early heads up of result. 

Let's do this...
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    OO - i finally checked the weather last night. Going to be cold on the start. I will pack a few layers. Flipping easterly wind too, so running into it early and then the last 5m, which will break a few sub3 dreams.

Good to see boy wOnDEr and crab pop in, its been a long time ODE.

Im on the choo choo to brighton at the mo (after the planned train was cancelled).

See you there Jools and EE. I started this journey on Dec 1st with a 21m run.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

TR - great news about your dad, long may it continue.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend! Looking forward to some epic reports on Monday/Tuesday.

6M for me yesterday evening, first 5M progressive (7:05-5:45) then cooldown. I feel fine, but weirdly my quads are a bit sore which is unusual for me. Also getting calf cramps at night, so maybe still a bit dehydrated from the sickness.

Then 4M into work this morning with a heavy rucksack, and will do the same back again this evening.

• Good to hear that the Padams household are over the worst.

Hope it all goes smoothly OuchOuch and anyone else travelling today.

Hopefully the wind will not be as bad as forecast TR. Always a risk with a coastal race I suppose.

Red start? Is no one else on yellow?

Sounds as though you're back on track Mennania.

Real slog of a run this morning even by my recent standards and i haven't even started tapering yet. I really need some magic to happen though some decent sleep would probably go a long way towards helping. All being well (waiting on a phone call from social worker about funding today) FiL will move into a care home on Tuesday after which I'm desperately hoping the stress will abate.

• CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    TR -- glad your Dad's on the up! And have a great race, you seem to have had pretty consistent training of late.

TT -- no regular massage for me from any pro, though I self-massage any bits I determine are getting knotty. I often suffer a mildly 'cranky ankle', which seems to be solved by massaging high up on the outer calf for example.

My family were off meeting my son from the airport last night so I got to run round in circles for longer than normal -- so it was 13.xM before my commute including reps, 4.5M morning commute, and then 13.x miles in the evening (slowly), grand total 50K on a school day -- a record. But 2d rest again now before my last training marathon on Sunday. I only did 84M this week, so less volume, but a bit more quality.

Good luck to those in Brighton and elsewhere!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    LMH.. yellow start is simply the new name for what was FGFA at the front of the red start.  Best of luck with the family situation.
    Heartening news about your old Dad TR, hope everything remains calm (including the weather!) over the weekend.
    OO.. duffle coat weather! :)
    Cripes Charlie that's a full on day of exercise, hope your legs freshen up in time for Sunday.
    Tick Tock.. I have a local 10m race on Sunday, not sure how to play that yet but I'll add a few miles on afterwards as my last 'big' run.
    Out shortly for a 5/6m loosener.
  • Been reading in the background this week, up on holiday in the Lake Distirct. Well done to everyone in Manchester, was great to spot a few of you on course.

Good luck OO in Paris and Dan for Monday. Weather looking fun. 

Ill be down supporting in Brighton on Sunday so if people want a shout give me a heads up on what to look for..

Should be 90 miles or thereabouts this week and then a nice 2 week taper. 
  • Give me a wave on your way home Joe (I'm in Derbyshire).

Funding declined - apparently because the nursing assessment didn't accurately reflect the level of need and the panel wouldn't accept the social worker's observations (she went to do the mental capacity assessment yesterday) or the copies of last week's nursing notes which did. It's been a fun afternoon.
  • Bald head, beard, green Brentwood tee a la my avatar  ;)
  • LMH - we’re in the peaks now! (Buxton). Bakewell parkrun tomorrow and then a wander around before back down south. 

EE - will keep an eye out.

enjoyed supporting at Manchester also, good to see some of you out there. 
  • TickTockTickTock ✭✭✭
    Thanks for suggestions about alternative anti-histamines, thankfully  it feels like either pollen has reduced or drugs are working.

Wardi - good luck with the 10m race, what is the plan for it?

Sounds like it is going to be chilly for Brighton and Paris but this seems preferable than the forecast for Boston. Hope the weather doesn't impact on ambitions.

Looking forward to meeting up with a few on the yellow/FGFA and especially after at Red Lion.