Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Ray,
    The predictions are based on your vo2 max result. It assumes that you have done the training so it really is what you could do if you were to focus on it.
    Your vo2 max result is probably good as your track sessions are valid input.
    With my vo2max at 45 I know I cannot do your track sessions with an improvement.

Enjoyable 5 miler for me outside in the warm sunshine.

Mick
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Mick,okay thanks.That's a bit clearer now.Glad you could get outside for a run in the sunshine.

12miles this morning at a average pace of 9:34mm.Not enjoyable at all with the wind playing havoc.

Graham,great comeback by the magpies must have been good to have been there.Well not a surprise we bottled it again it's in our DNA it seems.
  • Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    Mick, warm sunshine? Are you back in the Caribbean? Just kidding. Pleased your weather's improved. Ours has gone downhill big-time but no complaints.

Another slightly disappointing Park run at 25:41. Just felt heavy legged right from the start. Probably a fartlek and speed session on the Wednesday and Thursday didn't help, although neither was really intensive. Anyway, I enjoyed it and there'll be better days.

Ray, yes, great atmosphere at SJP. Last time we came back to win from a two goal deficit was 2003 so it doesn't happen too often. There does seem to be a pattern to Spurs seasons. Must be frustrating for you fans but better than a regular relegation struggle....
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Not a lot to report here, apart from 3 weeks of illness where my peak flow has been way down. One course of anti-biotics and 3 of steroids has almost done the trick. Or was it the hospitality at the Man City v Watford game on Saturday where rather too much of the free Champagne and Rioja may have been consumed: probably killed off all the bugs. Have run very gently each day for around 15 minutes; today was a major breakthrough, clocking a rather damp 30 minutes. Way behind where I wanted to be! Not the end of the world. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    hope the bug was finally vanquished with the footy refreshment, alehouse  . .  

still being hampered by the pesky injury here - this week 3 of it.  Managed couple each of 9 & 6 last week, so 30 for the diary, but none so far this week, and very windy out at pres, so unsure whether to venture. Doesn't seem to feel worse for running, or better for resting, so I'll continue to "manage" it, and see what happens.

Dave
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    injury still there - but gradually receding (I think) - so, 7.5 yesterday, 13.5 today, for a pleasing 21 mile weekend.  

Dave
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Dave,good mileage over two days.

Just 11miles for me on Sunday.
  • Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    alehouse, free champagne and rioja? I'm not surprised you may have over-indulged. I hope you're feeling better than you were. At least your running is ticking over for when you return to normal.

Dave, sounds like you may be on the mend. I wonder what the knee problem was.

Ray, "just" 11 miles....if only.....

Anyway, runs like that are out of the question at the minute but I'm averaging 20 miles a week so not too bad and I'm mostly enjoying my running. I've got a new 4 mile route from home, although inevitably some of it overlaps with other ones. A nice change though.

Today I did a speed session of sorts, 4 x 0.45 miles with a couple of minutes rest between. The pace was 7.20, 7.45, 7.19, 7.40. The slower second and last ones were down to a fresh headwind. So not too bad and these days anything under 8 minute mile pace isn't too disappointing. 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    I'm with you, GL: if only I could run Ray's 11 miles, or Birch's 21 in a weekend. Still not quite right but managed a parkrun yesterday: quick course but only 24:30. Not flat out but worked harder than I should have done for the time. 

Talking of parkruns, I meant to congratulate Columba on her age group win at the new parkrun...and course record!

And another "if only": if only I could do a speed session of sorts, GL.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    Don't think I've ever known it be so quiet here......

Anyway, I've had a couple of quite serious family issues in the last few days which have knocked me back a bit and not put me in the right frame of mind for running,

I've found it therapeutic in the past though and think it would do me good now things have settled down to some extent. So I'm off for a run in Jesmond Dene soon and hope to enjoy it.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Graham ;  a sudden bereavement last week has had similar effects - managed a few runs last week, which helped (the sad day was Monday), but couldn't face going out this week, until I managed a 4 miler in the sun this morning. 

Dave  
  • Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    Dave, very sorry to hear that. Running or other such activities will always take a back seat in the circumstances but can also help eventually. Take care.
  • Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    Is everyone Ok?
  • hi all

Graham and Dave

sorry to hear that you have both had emotional upsets to overcome and I hope you both are on the mend a bit.  They never get any easier, harder in fact.

Apologies for not being around for a while - quite a while in fact!  I had a good (for me!) run, 5.5 miles in early March and the next day had no energy again.  That coincided with another doctor's appointment and more blood tests trying to pin down what was happening with me but so far nothing is any clearer - I am within "normal" ranges for most things and taking medication for those that I am not!!  I am off to see an endocrinologist when an appointment can be fixed.

I was so p*ssed off that I took a few days off running which became a few days more and only light duties have been resumed recently

I think I could do with some of Alehouse's hospitality as a pick me up - though without the football :)

Having read about this race https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/apr/02/british-woman-one-of-last-to-quit-toughest-ultra-marathon  I really am a quitter :/

• did any Spurs supporters attend the game last night in the new stadium?

I read somewhere that the highest price season ticket was £14,000/season??!!!
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    TS-never went to the game last night as I've had a chest infection which has stopped me doing anything really.Will have to try and get a ticket for one of the remaining home games if possible.Have a sore throat at the moment so couldn't have cheered either.Hope to get a run in of some sort soon.
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Still not running myself.Trying to get a ticket for the spurs games is proving difficult at the moment.Hope some miles are being put in by anyone not ill or injured.
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Managed to get a short treadmill run in of just 5k.Will venture out tomorrow for a few miles easy as the cold is taking its time clearing.Good result with the  football last night,but don't think it will be enough.
  • Ray
    that infection has lingered for a long time - hope it is finally going.  My wife has had a similar cold which has just gone on and on - I can't get the door step scrubbed!!
    Good result for Spurs - not such good news about Kane.  city did appear to be playing a conservative game but it is all set up for the next leg

I find it difficult to run 5K even without an infection although the hash on Tuesday evening extended me a bit beyond that but fortunately with fairly level running. Two miles the next day was more than enough though.  The lack of running is bringing on my neural leg pain again as muscles and nerves start to react

I am expecting the results of some more blood tests later today in an appointment call with my doctor although I do not hold out much hope for a breakthrough..............
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that you are not quite right, TS and Ray. Hope everyone else is back into their running. 

Running has not been great here either: on the negative side, running has been disrupted by illness; on the positive side it has been disrupted by two short trips to France and Portugal. Three lots of steroids, two lots of antibiotics and the chest is, in theory, now clear...but have awful catarrh still. Has been going on for 9 weeks now. Have managed to have at least a 15 minute run each day and a couple of parkruns to report, both in around 24:30 and at both the effort was greater than 24:30 should have seen. Both still running within myself: don't do parkruns hard.

And I hope Spurs can repeat last week's victory at the Etihad.
  • cor = we are a crocked lot!

Alehouse
    that sounds an even worse case than Ray's - I can almost hear the coughing/spluttering from here!!
    You were still doing very well to run 124:30 for 5K in that state!!
    The trips to France and Portugal sound more acceptable

I went out for a run this morning in lovely bright sunshine and freezing temperatures as preparation for my telecom conference call with the doctor.  Every step of 5K was hard work despite only averaging a HR of 126 and a max of 134 in 30 min.  I can report that the perceived effort was far grater than the outcomes!

So when the doctor called at 0900 and asked how I was I could honestly say -carp!
    His news on the blood tests was mixed. T4 levels had gone up and my Vitamin D levels were still not right. he has suggested that the medication for both should now be taken several hours apart as they could interfere with the absorption rate for both!!  Talk about inadequate advice!

I then asked him if my T3 levels (T4 is converted into T3 when the body signals that energy is required) were normalised and was told that they hadn't been measuring T3 - that would be done by the endocrinologist once my other blood signal markers had been regularised.
    I got a bit stroppy at this stage and he got a bit defensive but the upshot is more blood work in a few weeks time :/
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Hello, all

forgive me if I don't comment on recent posts - I hope to get back to more regular posting from today.    

the funeral resulting from the bereavement I mentioned took place this Monday;  although , perhaps oddly, I ran a few short outings in the week of the terrible event, I didn't do much in the 2 weeks before the funeral (except a 14 miler last Saturday).  Just a 6 miler this week so far.   This Saturday, my daughter is intending to go to the Buxton Pavilion Gardens 5K, so I may join her and have run round (maybe at "alehouse effort") , just to get a marker (which won't be pretty )  .

Still, its only running - in life we just don't know what is around the corner  . . .   

Dave
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    TS: 5k in training in 30 minutes is fine, especially as it may well have included a hill! I'm a fair bit younger than you and I only just squeeze below 30 minutes around half the time and invariably I run on the flat! I wouldn't feel too down about it! Obviously a degree of unfitness is creeping in but overall you should be pleased! 
    re vitamin D, I was advised (by a GB team doctor) to take 4000iu  from October to March; 2000 the rest of the year. Unfortunately I have to pay for these as the GP I usually see says 800 a day is enough. If I understand correctly the whole of the GB athletics team is on a similar dose to myself. Must check and see if anything else I am taking interferes with absorption! 
  • Dave
    sympathy to you
    I have been too many recently and I have found that going out for a run helps release some pent up emotions.  After the funeral of a close friend where I had spoken some words I went out running the next day  and found myself crying my eyes out as I shuffled along- just emotional release but quite therapeutic - and no one could see me!
    Buxton Gardens sounds a nice place for a 5K - I have run there in the distant past when staying overnight

Alehouse
    my doctor recommended increasing the dose to  2000 iu from the 1000 I am currently on. Holland & Barrett have a special offer on at the moment - 200 tablets of 1000iu for £9.90!  That's a couple of pints at London prices :)
    you should certainly check out possible interactions with other medications

It wasn't so much the time as how much my body ached particularly the legs for so little measurable output. There  was 60m of climb in the run overall but at those HR outputs I would expect not to be exerted at all - and I was knackered - clear interference in the fuel supply to the muscles.
    According to my Garmin my VO2 max is now 49 and a predicted time for 5K is 21:16 -in the immortal words of John Wayne in The Searchers - "that'll be the day!"
  • did a quick search and this website is excellent for checking drug interactions with Vitamin D

https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/cholecalciferol,vitamin-d3.html  

and for all other combinations of drugs. Quite frightening really the range and extent of such interactions across the pharmacy cabinet!
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear your news, Birch. Never easy. Enjoy your visit to Buxton! Will be rather cold at 9 a.m. on Saturday morning I imagine!

Thanks for the link, TS! About to look at it!
  • It was rather cold at 0730 this morning  -2C to be precise - as I ran another 5k in 30 minutes complete with gloves with same avHR of 126 but  a slighter higher maxHR of 142 as I tackled a bit more hill.
    Beautiful and sunny, the birds woke me up at 0530 singing in the trees outside,  but cold enough for breath to condense

Crucial weekend of sporting rivalry between Newcastle and Leicester - both rugby and football league positions could be signally affected by results in both codes
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    It was indeed chilly this morning around 8.30 a.m., but beautiful with it. Gloves, hat, jacket, 2 long sleeve tops and tracksters, of course! Now rather grey, breezy and cold. 

Indeed, a crucial weekend of Newcastle/Leicester contests. As a former season ticket holder at both Welford Road and Filbert Street you know which teams I shall be supporting! Life was simpler then: 2.30 one Saturday at the Tigers, 3.00 the following Saturday at football. 
    Particularly bad clash of fixtures this evening! Surely there was a way around that!

re Vitamin D, I used the link below: 
    www.vitabiotics.com
    3 for 2 on 2000iu at a reasonable price. 96 for £9.99 x 2 plus one free should last most of a year!
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Dave-always hard to lose someone close.Buxton sounds like a nice place even if its cold on Saturday.

TS-Your search for a answer has been going on for quiet some time now.A couple of  decent 5k runs at a pretty low Av Hr.

Alehouse-looking forward to when we can run with a few less layers.Guess its just about ticking over at the moment.

Managed a 6mile run yesterday afternoon along the towpath in bright sunshine but a chilly wind.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    You seem to be back into your running, Ray

Will take last night's Leicester/Newcastle scores: The Tigers needed the points more than The Foxes. 

parkrun this morning: pleased with 23:32 without being flat out. Still in two tops and gloves, but did wear shorts. Chilly! 71.25% WAVA. Found the hills tough today but otherwise felt quite good: the first time since February 13th that my chest and/or catarrh have let me play properly!