Friday 12th April 2019 - If we tell you that you've got two days to live

Morning.

Lyrics - If we tell you that you've got two days to live

I'll only do that on a blind bend emzap - and never with headphones in.

Hopefully they'll be able to treat it without surgery Daisy.

Back to back long runs chicksta, gradually increasing the length of the second run. I wouldn't worry about hilly races, do some of your runs on hilly routes if you can or use the treadie as your hill work and the stepper for glute strength.

Sorry to hear that your back is still bad OH.

We have a frost this morning and it's not due to warm up much, where is this better weather?

What:           MLR
Why:            sanity
Last hard:    sleeping
Last rest:     27/1
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Morning

LMH: Better weather from Wednesday/Thursday all for the Easter weekend. We have frost here as well!

What: Run(no idea of distance as yet)-2 waiting for it to warm up slightly!

Why: Because I can no better reason

Last Hard: Over sleeping 10+ a night

Last rest 11/4

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Thank you! Just getting ready and leaving shortly. The little one is calmer than me. Managed a last run last night and felt much better for it. 

Have a good day all! 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Morning!

OH: hope there is soon progress with the back. Is there a trip south imminent? And how far south?!

Chick: I have known a number of ultra runners over the years and would agree with LMH. Back to back long runs seems to be the way to go. The hillier the better of course!

Hope all goes well today, Daisy!

What: short and easy run I suspect

Why: longer tomorrow and the legs feel rather dead

Very cold here overnight...and rather cool in the house as there is a problem with the boiler which I am about to tackle. Edit: now sorted. There had been a power cut overnight, which I hadn't realised!

Lyrics: no

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Daisy - hope all goes well, and agree, youngsters far more resilient (and recover quicker) than us older types!
    Headphones - I know bone conductors are "acceptable" but I still cant help but think that they are a distraction to 100% engagement with your surroundings (otherwise why bother listening to something?)
    Ultras - I was (sort of) joking,  nothing lined up at the moment for definite but always fancy running the Ridgeway. In all probability I'll do it 'solo', rather than wait for an organised event.
    Along similar lines, 10 years ago tomorrow, my brother and I completed the Pennine Way (268 miles in 10 days) which I'd like to do again. 
    With respect to training for an ultra, I found back to back weekend long runs were more important that pure mileage or speed. Starting at something like 15/10 but building up to 25/20. Even long hikes (walks) which are 'time on feet' were useful. 
    Did an ultra in the Brecons (NOT flat) on less weekly mileage than my last serious marathon (~60/week), with mainly long weekend back-to-backs, and some shorter but more intense hill reps.

I digress, 
    What - 4 or 5 easy
    Why - ticking over
    last rest - Monday
    last hard  - last weekend
    lyric - doubtful

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Daisy hope all goes well with youngest, what a worry
    Dustin enjoy the ticking!!
    Alehouse enjoy t he short and I am glad you got the home problems sorted!
    Poppy I wish I could oversleep! Hope it warms up for you soon
    LMH enjoy the MLR which hopefully keeps you sane! 

So I was never meant to do Brighton, I got a sore throat yesterday and today gunky, head aches and not really on the ball! So I will be deferring or just cancelling my 10k, lost my B&B money already as I only cancelled this morning.
    Hey ho, never mind.
    What: short later
    why: see above
    last hard: this decision
    last rest: 31/12/16
    have a great weekend all, not really sure what i will do now, I will go Spurs though
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Morning again all! 

Great news here....no surgery! Seen the hand therapist and he's got exercises to get the finger moving with the other ones and better strapping. The relief is huge! And he didn't starve in the process (had hot cross buns in the car which he demolished). Thank you all for the well wishes. 

So sorry to hear the news Wabo ...hope you feel better v soon. A tough decision, but a sensible one.

Dustin....I think you are right re partial distraction. I think it's time to ditch them! I was going to use them at Brighton marathon but thinking I won't now. I've been in two minds. I find they help distract me in crowds as I struggle with being in large groups (yep I didn't think that through when I signed up 😂).

Have a great day everyone. Definitely much warmer now than at 6am.

• Quickly reading back - sorry if I miss anything. 

Please be careful out on the roads everyone (running and driving).  Often it seems that you have to think for everyone else these days.  It is horrifying how many people are glued to their phones when driving.  I don't use music whilst out running as I want to be able to hear what is going on.  I was run over several years ago (not at all my fault), the physical damage healed fairly quickly (I was lucky) but I am scared of moving traffic getting close to me until this day.

Glad that you are feeling better Chicksta.

I really hope the care home is sorted now LMH.  Thanks for the cake recipe - might try it out at the weekend.

Sounds to me like you are doing the right thing emzap.  Hope the tiredness improves soon.

You have a lot on your plate Dustin alongside of the running, respect for getting the mileage done on top.

Ouch to the son's finger Daisy.  Hope he doesn't need surgery. 

Sorry about the enforced run break OH.  Chlorine pit made me giggle.

Glad the heating is working again Ale.

Oh no Wabo.  That's crap. 

Nice ultra talk - I am eyeing up my first for next year - there is a 100km race which goes almost past my door.  Maybe a bit much for a first go but you can do a 56km part as an ultra marathon.

What: short recovery
    Why: tough LT run yesterday - 40mins covering a tiny bit further than 9km - did have a tailwind but nonetheless pleased.
    Last hard:  that was but it left me buzzing for hours.
    Last rest: 6.4

Lyrics: sigh...
  • Good news about your son Daisy. Ditch the headphones - you'll be fine without.

Sorry to hear that Wabo. Is it not worth a night away and day supporting if you have to pay for the B&B regardless or do you feel too poorly?

I hope you're right about the warmer weather Poppy - I still haven't tried out my new charity vest. Wish I could sleep too, I think I'm managing about six hours a night at most and that's broken.

No taper madness Dustin?

Glad you fixed the boiler Alehouse - not the temperatures to be doing without.
  • X post above - glad to hear that Daisy.  I was worried about the crowds when I entered the Berlin mara, as I'm not keen either.  I coped well though, at least during the race everyone is going in the same direction. Expos and start blocks can be stressful, make sure you have enough time and if you are a rusher like me try to consciously move slower than normal.  Might help.
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    😂 Definitely not a rusher! Plus I'm on a run walk strategy. I buggered my hip in December and thought running in any sort was off the cards but I got back and found that this method works as it stops the stiffness. I'll be starting near the back. I had hoped for 4hrs 30 at the time, but now I just want to finish it with a smile. Finding it hard to settle with that but getting there.

Thanks guys....always come away from here feeling positive ☺ 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    LMH I could have done that but as we have tickets for Spurs it was always going to be a rush.  One I would have gladly done for marathon all being well.  I just don't think I can ask the OH to drive me all that way to support.  I think it is probably the best thing to do because as today wears on I feel less energetic!
    Daisy great news about your youngest, excited for you for SUnday!
    Hazel what a great buzz

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Another swim day but OW around around wreck today.
    Back still an issue.
    Last hard: a few things are hard at present
    Last rest: Sunday
    Lyrics no

Short trip to Loch Lomond and Callander starting tonight. Eldest and his GF back in UK for wedding.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

Too far north, OH! I assume that is not your son's own wedding!

Sounds sensible, Wabo!

Good news, Daisy! And I don't know why more people don't use a run/walk strategy from the start given that they may well end up walking anyway. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Have a nice time OH.

I know what you mean about the traffic Hazel - I was knocked over whilst out running a couple of years ago - again not at all my fault - and it was ages before i could run the same route and I'm still hyper aware of traffic.

Keep a smile on your face Daisy - it makes it much easier, there's always a positive you can find if you look for it whether that's the view, someone to chat to, the fact that you can be out there doing it at all. It's your first marathon isn't it? Finish and you are guaranteed a PB!

Funding declined - according to the social worker because the nursing assessment didn't accurately reflect the level of need and her verbal report and copies of the last week's nursing notes (which did) weren't acceptable to the panel. Nursing assessment is being re-written as I type but of course it now won't be considered until Monday (doesn't have to go back to panel fortunately) and the social worker is on holiday for a week. It has been a fun afternoon as you can probably appreciate.
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Oh LMH 😔 so sorry to hear that. And typical to happen on a Friday afternoon! Fingers crossed it gets sorted swiftly.

Thanks for the support  Yes it's my first (and probably only) so yes a PB is guaranteed! Feeling calmer today especially now No1 son is OK. What a relief and does put things into perspective. Off out for pizza dinner tonight as the kids have been very good putting up with their taper crazy mother this week 😉 

Hope you all have a good Friday evening whatever you are planning on doing. 
  • I was only ever going to do the one too Daisy  :)
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    And I'll stop you right there 😂 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Evening!

And I'm sure I remember a time when you didn't think you would manage a half, LMH!

re F-I-L, I sense your frustration. Sadly it rather matches my experiences with my mother. 
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    I was only ever going to do the one too Daisy  :)
    Didn't we all 🤣

Oh hell, that's terrible news, LMH 🙄

Thanks for all your advice re. ultras. As I build up for Berlin I shall slowly introduce back to back long runs. Have to be careful with those. Too many miles led to a string of previous injuries but I'm older and wiser these days (chuckles) and shall be listening to my body.

I've also decided to do Berlin in fancy dress. Always wanted to do one marathon for fun. And a party capital like that is perfect for such a venture. I've kind of given up on the fast stuff and want to enjoy my races rather than chasing arbitrary times.

Wabo: damn. Isn't it incredible? You train for months on end in bad weather with no probs and then race weekend is around the corner and you get ill. Just as well you decided to drop out of the marathon beforehand.

Daisy: glad your son won't need surgery. I just had pizza too :) run/walk is brilliant. I wish I had used it for my first marathon as a proper strategy rather than being forced to walk as legs gave up on me after 23 miles 😂

OH: do you know what's wrong with your back?

Nice LT running, Hazel.  Wow, a 100k for a first ultra is commendable. It's it going over mountains?

What: S&C at the gym
    Why: been lax on that front
    Last hard: seeing snow on tomorrow's forecast. I will give parkrun a miss as I'm still coughing and don't want it to get any worse.
    Last rest: Monday
    Lyrics: yes

Yesterday's were Cold, cold morning light by Jerry Lee Lewis

• DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Chicksta.....my hubby has never quite recovered from being overtaken by a "shoe" on his second marathon! My boys still chuckle at it. What are you thinking of?