Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Gul, I'd be careful not to over dress. It's a difficult balance as mp is such that you will feel the cold a bit. Some excellent mileage stats there. Definitely very well prepared. I think it's a good idea to try something new re caffeine depletion. 

Yes the Boston weather for that 6-8 hour window looks pretty messy. However it is such a short window and weather eithside looks reasonable so it could all come through earlier or later. 

Last mlr tonight with 12 planned. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - yes, Boston MA forecast looks pants. Why am I whinging over a bit of cold weather?!  I will be taking gels on Sunday (4 or 5). Practised taking a couple with no adverse affects.
    Birch - cheers. Sorry to hear about the bereavement. I have a funeral to go to tomorrow - someone I've known a long, long while who was diagnosed with cancer and died a month or two later.
    DT - don't worry, 2 is plenty. I was only joking. Although I have been wearing 3 layers for virtually all my running so far this year! Enjoy the final MLR.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Probably the last full-on track sesh of the campaign tonight. 10 x 800 with 30 sec recoveries. Coach said I had to do them all in 2.5x area.

I thought it was a big ask on tired legs but was very pleased to have hit them all with the quickest being 2.52 and slowest 2.56. Final rep was 2.53, if only that Yasso 800 mara prediction malarky was right!!  :D
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

Good work on the 800s G-D - nice and tidy - stranger prediction have come true.  Keep working on those extra pounds and pray for good weather.

An excellent campaign Gul that deserves a good result.  A 5C temperature with moderate breeze sounds perfect.   Hope the carbo loading is going to plan - I start tomorrow.  Good decision on the gels.

Hope you got out for the MLR DT - it seems to be all coming together nicely.

Hope you can get back to some running Birch.  Presumably you're on family support duty at VLM? 

Hope the recovery is going well Stevie.  Recovery runs for me are at 8:25 m/m pace.

Boston weather looking interesting.  Just received an email from the organisers warning about the forecast conditions which they are suggesting will be similar to last year.  I'm just hoping the wind is blowing in the right direction.  I also took emergency delivery of a full length raincoat to keep dry & warm before the start.  Do I still run in vest & shorts or is a thermal vest required?

MP test today, though it may all be academic!  8 miles with 2 miles at MP (on a flat course in good weather conditions).  An optimistic 6:40 m/m pace gave a maximum heart rate of 164 - marathon heart rate is usually 165 so in the right ball park.

Heading out to Boston tomorrow morning.  Not sure what to expect but will see how the weather is on Monday and how the legs feel!   The campaign has gone well and I'm probably in slightly better condition than last year before Brighton and have done a fair amount of Boston specific training. 

Good luck for Sunday Gul - negative splits seem to be the order of the day!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Birch and good to hear from you.
    You've certainly put the miles in Gul- 10 runs of 20 or more is quite something.
    All good here , last week of big miles with a fun 10k race this Sunday in the plan.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Sorry was looking for the 3:15 forum not the sub 3 forum lol Well done Stevie and nicko showing us how its done lads.
    Birch sorry to hear about your loss 
    Gul you can do it Sunday and a great campaign Goodluck.

Did 4x400/4x800 and 1 mile on thursday night , hammy started to get tight and had to walk back but only a minor strain much lower down my leg rather than up at the bone where my constant pain was and this pain has disappeared this last few days sure its only be temporary but a welcome change all the same. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - very strong 800m rep session - you are in pretty good nick!
    SBD - have a good flight out to the States - hope the weather forecast seriously improves. You've put in a lot of hard work and have hit some cracking paces. Have a great race.
    OO - have fun at the weekend in the 10k.
    Leslie -  hope that's the last of the pain; you deserve some injury free running.
    2 easy miles this morning and the training's now done and dusted. Good luck to Lorenzo too.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

SBD, the weather forecast says 16c. York where it hammered down the whole time it was about 11c. I just wore vest and shorts for that and was fine. The problem with more clothing is it is fine at first but then it gets sodden and it makes you even wetter and colder. Though I must ad that within minutes of finishing I was shivering. Sounds good on the mp run.

Best of luck, Gul. You've done the work, just trust in it.

Leslie, fingers crossed you get some uninterrupted training in!

Nice 800s, GD. I've never quite bought into that Yasso thing.

X-post with Birch yesterday. Sorry to hear of your friend. It puts things into perspective.

Nice easy 12 mile mlr last night. Got off work early so was out by 4.30 to enjoy the sunshine in the lanes. Despite me saying I never do this just 2 days ago, 7.58mm average pace. Hr was at 138 though so top end recovery for me. Weighed in this morning at 11,2. Not sure if that is as a result of a longer run last night. Either way it's the lowest I have registered since 3 days before the Yorkshire mara and I am sure I have weighed the morning after evening runs plenty of times. Only 1lb heavier than Yorkshire now.

5 at recovery lunchtime and bodypump tonight then 22 tomorrow morning.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Gul and SBD. You can't really influence the weather so best not stressing. I don't really like bare arms in rain, especially if it's breazy, so a long sleeve would be my preference. 
    I'll squeeze 4 in today, and should be on for 60 this week before the taper.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Hey all, hope you had a good week. No running for me just yet, legs still a bit trashed and removed a toenail so some very sore spots. Hopefully get back to something over the weekend.

Good luck to GulSBD and Lorenzo this weekend at the many Bostons!

Re weather I always think I'll be cold and end up boiling so would err on the side of less layers if it was me. Maybe Mo-style with the vest and armsleeves? Even Brighton half mara at about freezing I was hot in vest & shorts - rain may be a different matter though.

Gul - that is a huge amount of mileage and long runs, very impressive. You should be confident.

Great report Stevie - how's the quads now? Looking at the fact that you were behind the 3hr pacer for the first few you must have been running with or near me for a bit until you raced off.

KnightRider - great work on the run at Manchester as well. A strong race for everyone!

Birch - sorry to hear your bad news.

Looking forward to watching London in a couple of weeks; going to try to variously be at the start, 6, Tower Bridge and 23 mile markers, then a quick pint at Chandos before I head to the finish to see my mum cross the line (managed to blag a finish line area pass so be able to meet her as she finishes).

Just realised Boston and London are on the same weekend next year - hopefully I'll still be able to enter London 2020 and get a deferral or at least still qualify for GFA 2021 as Boston will definitely be the one to do.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Massive good luck to SBD, Lorenzo & Gul at the weekend! Looking forward to the reports!

Great report Nicko. My quads were wrecked until Wednesday! Yesterday was the first day I could walk properly but they were still a bit sore. Staying off running for the week so I've just been for a couple of swims

Sorry to hear of the bereavement Birch
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I hadn’t realised that either Nicko- was planning to do both Boston and London next year. London wins....
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    OO - you can join me for 2021!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yes that will be the plan B then Stevie!
    I ran a progression parkrun in 21:20, hopefully saving the best for tomorrow’s 10k. It’s a trail run including a beach section so sounds interesting.

I think we need some updates from Boston...
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    SBD - yes, supporting Mr Birch junior at VLM.   Good luck once again to the Bostonians tomorrow and Monday. 

Pleasant trip to the Peak District for the Buxton Pavilion Gardens 5K this morn, where I was chauffeur and bag carrier for daughter.  Excellent free event (but officially measured & certified by EA) , with cake for on sale for charity donation afterwards. Ms Birch nipped round as a warmup for her pacing duties at Sheff Half tomorrow  . . . .    I'll be spectating, then Monday signals day one of "a new era" - running and  life . . .     
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Life! What’s new Birch?
  • Greetings from a rather drizzly Boston, Massachussetts!!

Firstly, a huge belated congrats to Stevie and Nicko for stellar performances at Manchester. Sounds like your both executed plans fantastically.

Sorry to hear about the bereavement Birch - hope you and others are OK.

Gul - all the very best for tomorrow. You're in top shape and as long as you're relaxed and take it east for the first few miles, I'm sure you'll get the result you deserve after a great campaign.

Having been in the States for a few days already, the final week taper has consisted of a few early morning runs including up the steps Rocky-style in Philadelphia, along the East River in New York (where I also found a running track and did a few laps) and on the tip of the Cape Cod peninsula yesterday morning. Have done a fair bit of cross-training tourist-style, specifically managing about 13 miles a day walking around town and visiting various tourist attractions with boat trips out to the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island and whale watching off Cape Cod thrown in for good measure. Not the most conventional taper!

I'll be heading down to the Expo shortly, and hoping to meet up with SBD for a coffee before hitting the tourist trails in Boston. 

BBC Weather forecast for Monday here is now for gusty winds and light rain showers, rather than the thundery rain that was being forecast a couple of days ago. I'll probably be running in a vest and shorts as the temperature looks fine (16 degrees) but reserve the right to change if things deteriorate. More than anything I'm hoping that the weather doesn't put off the crowds.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Massive good luck vibes to the Boston boys stateside and Gul for the UK Boston tomorrow. Be confident and execute well tomorrow, Gul, you can smash 3.15. Can’t wait for the report.

Glad the forecast is getting better, Lorenzo. Get ready and pucker up for the Wellesley College girls giving free kisses to all runners. It’s a tradition and we should always respect tradition!!  :D

Also, do the bus tour, I think it’s Duck Tours. The drivers are brilliant in their commentary as they drive around, really funny.
    I hope you’ve got your celebration jackets?

Final LSR of the campaign today, 16 miles with company for a change, ran with 2 pals. Probably the most enjoyable long run of the campaign. Legs were tired but, the sun was out, we chatted all the way, had a good laugh, and the time went by really quick. 8.04 pace and felt easy, as it should.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    hi guys. Just popping in to say thanks for all your best wishes and wish SBD and Lorenzo the same for Monday. Hope the weather is kind. Could tomorrow be the day for which I've been waiting for nine and a half years?!
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    All the best Gul. You've done the hard part already with all the training. Now you just have to cap it all off, then bask in the glory!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck, Gul. You deserve the outcome without doubt. 

22 yesterday to round matters off. My weight loss efforts caused me issues last 6 miles. The weeks calorie deficit caught up with me and made it a bit of a trudge. 7 later on will give me 67 for week which will be highest ever. 
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

My doctor told me on Wednesday that I shouldn’t run at all. Did I listen? Did I fxxx! I ran my local Parkrun yesterday in 22:30 then a 10k race this morning and 8 miles in total. The 10k was a personal worst of about 48:40. That’s a horrible 12 minutes slower than my PB.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Badbark. Hope you can prove him wrong.
    So B
    What about Boston? YES!!! 3:09 and an 11 min PB :) Obviously made up. Details may be a while coming through. Windy day but it all came good Thank you all for you support.. It was a long time coming  but that only made it all the sweeter!
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Great result Gul - a long time overdue but you must be feeling very pleased!  Enjoy the rest of the day and look forward to the full report!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    WONDERFUL NEWS, Gul - and fully deserved - just off out, so will proceed with a spring in my step 

bask in your achievement, and we'll look forward to the report all in good time  :) 

well, done  B)    
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Yes Gul!!! Fantastic result, well done! Will raise a glass to you later!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Brilliant, Gul!!! Very pleased for you. You'll be in the Chandos April 2020 no doubt!!
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Great work Gul that's a fantastic result and a huge PB, well deserved.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Absolutely BRILLIANT, Gul!!

The hard work paid off and delivered a masssive PB. So pleased for you, well deserved. I too shall raise a glass to you later. Well done , Squire.  B)