Sub 3

Comments

• macemace ✭✭✭
    TR - damn !! Brings back some horrible memories. You deserve a better
    payback off your training and hopefully get it next time. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Sorry you didn't get the ROI you richly deserved TR, I've often thought that all our ducks need to be in a row for an optimum day at the marathon.  Good to see you with chin up though, rest up well and roll on Yeovil.
    OO.. chapeau, that's a cracking run for a man of your vintage!  Indeed it sounds like you had a 'good moaning' in Paris  :)
    TT.. great to see you ahead of predictions, congrats on 1st V40.
    Good luck for tomorrow Dan A.
    My paced 10m race went ok.  Kept the handbrake on around 7:40-7:50 pace up to 6 miles then gradually accelerated from there.  76.59 felt comfy enough, another few miles added on to make it 16m for the day & 70m for the week.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    TR - gutted for you. That's neither a fair return on investment nor an accurate picture of your shape. 

OO - nicely done. I'll be honest, I don't get your proclivity towards positive splitting but it gets you where you want to be. 

Wardi - nice armchair running!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Shit happens, I'll review the results and see how folks i know did against where they would usually be, so i can assess the wind. But its impossible to know the mental matches value. But thats life and the scorebook says 3.04.

I was burning matches early to run 6.50s into the wind and dragged it back a bit for 1/2 way, but lots of the 2nd 1/2 was into the wind, even before the last 5m, so i knew i had no chance of a sub3. Had to nurse a hammy trying to cramp in last mile, but i did actually run all the way.

I had a couple of bottles of one of my favourite ales "Proper Job" ready for later, but they will go on hold for Yeovil now.

Eldest turned up pissed up at 2am waking everyone up, then goes downstairs at 4am, drops a bottle of water, and grabbed the oven door for balance and bent the hinges. I had to give him a bollocking at 4am and tell him to go to bed......he is 21!

At times today, i regretted chasing the train. I like the course snd the support,  it was a good race, with only 300ish on fast start. But its a risk training all winter for a coastal race. So I'll mull over wether i go back next year or not.
  • TR - unlucky mate, you definitely didn't deserve that after the great training block you've put in. A funny old game, this marathon business.

That was me yelling at you at various points on the course. Working into that wind in the last few miles must've been soul destroying. Everyone looked like they were struggling massively.

TT - cracking 10km mate, really impressive.

Mixed weekend for me, Bakewell parkrun on Saturday, really got myself up and went for it - 17:55 was definitely not the outcome I was looking for. Not even half-marathon pace, really beat myself up about it. 

Today completely different, 20 miles @ 7:05mm felt like I was out for a Sunday jog. 93 miles this week, taper now. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cheers Joe, i recognised you. I was with jools early on when you saw him. Thanks for the shouts, i gave you a bit of a "what am i supposed to do in this wind" look at 24ish.
  • TickTockTickTock ✭✭✭
    Sorry you didn't get what you either wanted or deserved TR but as you say shit happens. I know a few other folk who were at Brighton today and none got the times they were expecting, including one missing out on sub 3 by 30 seconds, when I would have stuck a lot of money on him going sub 2:55.

I think you deserve one of the beers tonight... otherwise one of your nippers may get thirsty and help themselves.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    TR - You can control two things, your work ethic and your attitude - Top marks for you on both. Im sure Yeovil will give you a better retun.
    OO - Great running. Did you enjoy it? Ive only run 5 Maracourses.....
    TT - Happy days on the V40 win. Nice time.
    JB - My PMP is faster than ive ever run a parkrun. Just dont ever get the mojo when I turn up, Never gone under 18.

21 on Tready for me at around 6.20 pace today with 8 at 5.50 and 2 at 5.40 in just under 2.09. I was in VF4s and no issues with any prt of my feet so had a good day. Garmin set on indoor running only showed 19 - I know the accelerometer is pretty crap but didnt think it was that bad. Cant wait to get back on road 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    TR: sorry you didn't get your goal time, but with everything life has thrown at you of late I suspect your body wouldn't allow you to really get into the hurt zone. And interesting to hear about the conditions, given a clubmate won in 2.16!!!
  • TR - unlucky. Those conditions certainly won't have been quick, running into the wind is monumentally demoralising I find, even in training, never mind racing.

OO - nicely done.

Dan - best of luck for tomorrow.

TT - amazing 10K!

I managed an 18:30 parkrun yesterday. Nice conditions and good to get the lungs and legs working. Then 17M today in exactly 2h - that was a nice confidence boost too.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cheers folks, i go back to my comment about coursework.

Jools - he obviously has a lot more to come, although id have done better with a 4x4 to run behind.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Just looked up the results TR. Looks like we all suffered today.
    Saw you just behind a 3hr pacer between 22 & 23. Gave you a shout but not sure you heard - you looked to be in some pain tbh so not surprised you slowed further as the headwind along the prom was even worse. 
    I had a complete breakdown. Not sure why tbh. 2 nights of very poor sleep certainly didn’t help the mental game. I was 15s down at halfway & knew I’d been working too hard to negative split especially with the final 5M being into a 14 mph headwind.
    Right piriformis tightened up & became painful as we got to 15 which was then joined by right hip flexor then left. By 17 I was jog/walking. Saw Joe about 19 but even his motivational powers failed to rouse me. 20M in 2:28 then final 10K was 70 minutes! Once over the line I picked my bag up but had to be dressed by St John’s as I was laid out looking far from healthy then went to fulfil my lab rat duties however once they’d taken my bloods the Dr in charge sent me to their medical team for a lie down & some obs as I was feeling nauseous & looked like I might’ve passed out! About 20 minutes later I went to the toilet to provide a urine sample which took so long they were banging on the door to check I’d not keeled over before having an ECG & further blood pressure/pulse/body composition measurements. Turns out I’d lost over 5lbs since Friday.
    Being looked after at mate’s now: roast lamb & claret 😉
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell Jools, you had a rough time. Sorry to hear that. It was good to meet up and run together for a while. Well done to your mate for looking after you. Onwards. See you again sometime.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    I was ruing the lack of coursework element TR as I was dying a death from 18 ish. Look forward to seeing you smash sub 3 later this year.
  • Crikey Jooligan that's a tough day at the office. Was tracking you and knew you were hurting after 25k split. Glad you are in good hands now and the team at the end did a good job too by sounds of it. 

Joe - I wouldn't get too upset at a parkrun result but glad you feel better after today's efforts.

ES - looking in fine fettle and coming together nicely. 

Mennania - nice treadie running there. I find the accelerometer in my Polar M430 is pretty good but only if I concentrate and maintain perfect arm swinging form, even raising my watch-wearing arm to wipe my brow throws it off. 

Wardi - solid miles bagged and a decent run out today. Backing up Barca nicely it seems. 

Bliddy cough driving me nuts, on the plus side fever seems to have buggered off. Typical, was eyeing up a day or two off work!!!! 

• Crikey Jooligan, tough day at the office. Sounds like you may have been dehydrated judging by the weight loss and the time taken to provide the (ahem) sample?
  • Mental training Mennania.

Blimey Jooligan you sounds rough. Hope you're feeling better today.

Eye on the prize Joe - you aren't training to run a fast 10k.

With your dad, the 18th, number collection stress and conditions things were a bit stacked against you TR but you did what you could on the day. Surely it will be London next year not Brighton? I know you can get that GFA. Be nice to yourself now, you need a few days mental and physical recovery before you get back to it.

Glad you're feeling better sj. Don't want to worry you but my mate is on week five of his cough.

Hope Dan has a good one and conditions aren't too bad.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TR - lots of positives from your race yesterday. You ran a fast time and a GFA in not ideal conditions with a far from ideal build-up. You should be proud of yourself mate.
    Jooligan - what did you do on Friday and Saturday? Hope your feeling better today. 
    TT Congrats on the victory.
    Thanks for the well dones. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - Brighton was good, the logistics were good, but even if its still, there was a bit too much running uphill in the first 9m, esp into the wind. Id like to go back, but we'll  see, Abo gave me a GFA too. Legs and feet are in good shape but i will have the few planned days off regardless.

OO - i think your mate was 2.56ish so had a better day than me.

Regardless of the 3.04 (instead of the sub3), my mileage bank balance will stand me in good stead going fwd. I thought about sacking it off at 1/2 way and saving it for Yeovil, but thought finishing would toughen my legs up. Ive sucked up some bastard windy races/crap days in this comeback and a lot of race times i didnt really want.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

TR - Shame you didn't get the result you deserved but its a good time and run in not ideal circumstances on and off course. On to the next one!

Jools - That sounds a tough day out! Hope you recover soon

OO - Fantastic time! Congratulations

Took the entire week off running with just a couple of swims. Legs feel good now so back to it tonight, just easy running this week. Got 3 10ks booked in up to July before Berlin prep starts in earnest

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

TR - that's a strong effort considering the conditions, the extra stress of your dad, leaving the number on the train etc. All these things make a difference.

OO - another top result, you're on a good run at the moment.

TT - that's very promising given where you are with your training!

Jooligan - that sounds rough. Any conclusion on what caused it?

Wardi - sounds like a very enjoyable long run.

JoeB - you can't worry about one training run that doesn't go to plan. Sometimes your body just doesn't respond, it will all come good on the day.

Menn - sounds like you're in great shape, surely close to or under 2:30 form.

ES - nice parkrun/LR combo.

Good luck to Dan later! Hope the weather isn't too bad.

15M for me on Saturday with some friends, nice and easy, mainly offroad. That was it for the weekend, other than quite a lot of lugging boxes into the loft!

A mate who organises races has asked me to be a 40 minute pacer for the local 10k on Friday so quite looking forward to that.

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Cracking time OO, though surely a slightly more conservative first half would have yielded a marginally quicker performance overall. In answer to your question. Friday long drive but no exercise, Saturday steady parkrun (slowest pre-marathon one yet) & a couple of hours walking about. I guess I was just a lot more nervous than I’d realised as I only managed to sleep til about 2:30 am both nights before spending the rest of the night failing to drop back off.
    Slept normally last night.
    Padams I can only conclude overtraining despite doing less than the last couple of years. I’ve been stressed at work, changed my domestic circumstances & had that bike smash 4 weeks ago which I then trained through. In retrospect I’d’ve been better off resting that week & having less of a taper - maybe. The right piriformis/hip flexor has been niggly for a long time but I suspect the fell race a fortnight ago aggravated it so much even 2 very light weeks failed to settle it. I’d certainly felt it when doing anything speedier than recovery pace. 10 days ago I’d had to jump off the treadmill after 500m whilst warming up as it was so painful. I rolled & stretched it for about 10 minutes then got back on & did a decent 10K session with 6x800 off 400 jog without further incident.
  • Great run OO and solid stuff TR - you faded much less than most people (me included) so definitely a grittier effort than you're letting on. Hard luck Jooligan - that was me that said "let's go Jules" as I came past you around 17/18, but I know that's the last thing you needed to hear when the body was shutting down. There was a surprising number of casualties yesterday given the modest conditions - guess a lot of people overdressed given the fresh start then got caught out by sun and windburn later on. I'm like a radish today!

Race report:

Enjoyed the Withdean start and the fact it was limited to about 400 runners meant it felt nice and calm like a local 10K rather than a big city marathon. Really lucked out with how close it was to my Airbnb - would defo recommend it to others if they're running Brighton in future; was only £34 and really new room and bathroom and access to kitchen to make early breakfast which you don't always get in hotels. Met Jooligan at the start which was nice and added to the chilled vibe. 

Started at 7m/m as planned and was also wearing a hat and gloves which seems ridiculous now given I'm sunburned but was still on the fresh side. I'd kind of forgotten the hills from 2010, but there's a short sharp one at about 4, a few rolling ones on the way out to Ovingdean and another short sharp one before the switchback to come back west. Stayed consistent through to halfway and miles 12 and 13 were my quickest (6:59, 6:55), presumably as I was subconsciously showing off in front of the deeper crowds along that stretch. Still felt pretty strong into Hove, but I know as soon as I can hardly bear gels or electrolyte drinks that I'm getting into nauseous/dangerous territory. Miles 15,16,17 I started to drift a bit (7:09,7:14,7:11) before arresting the slump in mile 19 with a 7:05. 

At this point I knew the pain train was pulling into the station, so I started reining it back a bit to postpone its departure and prevent a complete collapse further on. The power station section really is wretched; I don't even mind the lack of crowds so much as the lack of anything to look at. It was made worse yesterday knowing that as soon as the final switchback occurred it was going to be five miles into the wind to finish. At that point my sole aim became a determination not to walk and to get my third best marathon time (sub 3:15) and while the wheels came dangerously loose, they didn't completely fall off (mile 21: 7:32, mile 22: 7;50, mile 23: 8:05, mile 24 8:18, mile 25: 8:25). Rallied slightly (it was all very relative at this point) with a 8:14 mile 26, smiling ruefully at the fact I'd signed up to Strava's 'Last Mile Challenge' the day before and staggered over the line in 3:13.19 for a 1:32/1:41 split. 

Broadly satisfied with the time, but think that might be it with me and marathons for the foreseeable. I just don't enjoy them and have only ever really nailed one out of the ten I've done. I'm reluctant to use the wind as an excuse as I think in my heart of hearts I would have faded late on regardless, perhaps only to a sub 3:10 rather than a 3:13, but still. I guess I don't know to what extent my Dad passing away in March affected things either, but I thought it would act as much as an inspiration as anything else. Unless I feel like I can trouble my PB (3:02) or go sub 3, I'm loath to do another just to rack up the numbers. Glad to put the spell of three complete bonks/shockers to bed, but that's me I think.

Looking forward to a few weeks off running, then keeping it short and sweet this summer before a HM in the autumn.

Finally I just wanted to say thank you to all of you for your words of encouragement, the camaraderie, the advice and the guidance on this thread; it's been an invaluable resource. I may well take a few weeks off the thread to recharge the mental batteries, so best of luck to all of you doing London and Dan today in Boston. I'll be attending VLM to support my sister/clubmates, so please do all post your numbers/kits so I can also cheer you guys on too.

Apologies for the long post - TL;DR: it was windy, I was soft (3:13).   

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Nicely put EE. Good to meet you at the start & well done on holding it together at the end. I wasn’t so far gone when you passed - I recognised you but I was unravelling fast. I kind of wish I could let the marathon go but I know I’m not done yet. 2 more in October & I signed up for Brighton 2020 too yesterday :D 
    Time for a bit of a rest first though. I’ll not be doing anything more strenuous than walking for a couple of days. Might manage a swim tomorrow.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    EE - well toughed out, dont beat yourself up, the bereavement will have taken your mental energy. I found that i didnt really have the eye of the tiger yday. I wasnt far behind the pacers at 22m, but easily lost 1min/mile in the last 3 or 4 back on the prom into the teeth of the wind. Dont necessarily give up on maras, maybe do some scenic ones? Im better at short distances but marathons are a bitch to nail, and i guess thats the point for me.

Philpub said to me at 21 ish that they were on for 2.59 and he ran 2.59.2X. They only had 7 or 8 runners left at 21m and i bet there werent many of the originals left in the last 3m, if at all, as they would have to be putting 6mm effort in to keep on pace.

Jools - good one on signing up for 2020. I might join you yet, it cant be that windy 2 years in a row.....? I'll see how Yeovil goes first, i didnt enter Brighton until after yeovil last yr.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    It’s been breezy before but the Easterly was particularly cruel. Prevailing wind is South-westerly so ought to be a gentle push on the shoulder in that final 5K.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Agreed, usually westerly, and would be much better. Still would be better though.

EE - btw, that was wind burn not sun.
  • An honest report EE - hope to hear you at London, I have a feeling I'm going to need all the support I can get.

TR - have you just fallen out of love with London then? I must admit I did regret not doing Boston (Lincs) again this year a bit as looking at the results it would have paid for a couple of pairs of shoes. I was second woman last year with 2.56 but first woman this year was well over 3 hours. Still, London is a nice day out, I do enjoy the occasion.

Jooligan - I don't think it's likely to be over training as much as life - you have had a lot going on and that bike crash definitely will have impacted, it's very easy to underestimate how much the life stress affects us. I know that since the situation started with my FiL this year my running has been a bit pants, sleep has been awful and I've lost weight I couldn't really afford to. The other side of that of course is that the running has helped to keep me sane and get me through it (so far).
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    LMH - goldrush ran Boston yday and had the same wind problems as Brighton. When i heard that, i was glad for you that you were doing vlm instead, as your sub 2.55 would have been a tough ask yday.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    LMH overtraining can result from stressors other than actual training volume/intensity which is why I suspect it is a possibility & can’t be dismissed.