Monday 15th April 2019 Daisy

Morning!

Lyrics: Daisy, Daisy

Hope you can walk today, Daisy! When's the next one?

What: around an hour

Why: that is what M74 (he had a birthday) has planned

Grey and cold here, but due to be sunny later.
Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    😂 Morning....thanks Alehouse. Yes I can move. I was sensible yesterday and walked home, then walked to the kebab house for supper (so good) and had another walk to my friend's house for good measure. The stairs weren't too bad this morning. Sugar loaded breakfast cereal was delicious.....I am starving today. Woke up at 2am and went for a banana, I never sleep well after a long run and last night was very broken. 

Lyrics....yes!

Today....osteopath for fixing and taking my little one for hot chocolate treat. Oh and redressing my blisters (ouchy ouchy ouch).

Next marathon....a Snickers bar is the closest thing I'll get to that but I am thinking about 10k races and maybe a half marathon later in the year. My hubby wants to train to do the South Downs Way in his bike in a day so time to handover the madness to him. He's put lots on hold for me during the psdt year, God love him. 

Have a great day....☺ 
  • Morning.

Couldn't think of any suitable lyrics earlier but you came up with some good ones Alehouse. Enjoy your run in company. It's chilly and a bit breezy here. Are you back to work tomorrow? It's going to be a light couple of weeks for me.

So pleased for you Daisy. It sounds as though you have been very sensible with your post race activities. If you're anything like me you'll be starving for a few days - go with the flow and enjoy it, time to relax things a bit and your body will need to do some rebuilding. Enjoy the hot chocolate and basking in your success.

Wondering what sort of day Dustin had.

Did you bake the cake Hazel?

Hope nothing hurts more today than it did pre-race Donaldo.

What:           short and easy/fighting for funding
    Why:            taper/the sooner it's sorted the better I'll feel (I hope)
    Last hard:    sleeping
    Last rest:     27/1

Lyrics - I think I do  :)
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Yeah Daisy - you did it 💪
    Absolutely brilliant. Nice to have a supportive other half. Half marathons are great. If one doesn't go to plan you can do another one a week or two later. As for 10ks ... They hurt too much for my liking😆

Hazel: That P&D plan is tough, isn't it? I had to re-jig a few sessions too and dropped some of the intervals when I didn't feel up to them. Listening to the body and staying healthy is more important than ticking off every single session in a plan.

LMH: I hope you get the funding sorted 🤞

Nice 10k time, Don.

Enjoy the birthday run with your friend, ale.

Sunny, windy and cold outside. Waiting for my bread to be done, then going for a run.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again!

Yes, back to work tomorrow, LMH: Tuesday and Thursday as usual and then the long Easter weekend off (I nearly always have a long weekend!). 

That was a tough session Hazel: I personally think 26k to be unnecessary for a 21k race!

Dustin?
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Morning all,
    Sorry been awol again much of the weekend.
    Chick - Good for you on fancy dress. Running London in FD is on my list of things to do.
    Ale - Solid park run
    Don - good to see you back
    Daisy - Wow, just wow. Well done!!

South Wales for me...(Great Welsh). Drove over to Swansea on Saturday figuring it would avoid a 4am wake up on Sunday! Very cold and blustery on the start, and typically I'd not bothered taking gloves.
    That said it was mild enough once we got going.
    Opted to go with the 3:30 pacer and see how long I could hang on...
    The course is a big loop up to Burry Point and south down to Llanelli beach all on coastal paths (so traffic free) apart from some roads on industrial park roads at Burry Point.
    Two lapper for the full meaning you pass the finish funnel at miles 8,13 and 21 

Felt comfortable for much of the first half, but knew it would get tougher. Kept the pacer in sight until 20/21 before heading south for the last loop. A really quite brutal headwind for a couple of miles and despite slowing, I was never in that wobbly legs place. Steady 2-3 mile run back from the 'turn' and finished in 3:37:19. 
    In all honesty that's about where I am after a sluggish winter so all in all quite happy.

Pros
    - a decent enough course, helped being traffic free and lap two infinitely better than lap 1 (see 'cons')
    - Good race village, despite being small, it had all we needed in close proximity
    - Big car park, literally with 100 yards of the start/ finish (see also 'cons')
    - Decent goody bag, medal and t-shirt if that sort of thing floats your boat
    Cons
    - the car park: despite being massive and with plenty of room, it took me almost 40 minutes to get in and parked. 
    - Woefully inadequate number of toilets 
    - headphones. Ban them! The marathon started 15 minutes after the half, so on lap one we were catching the slower Half runners. This entailed some bobbing and weaving and coming to abrupt halts at times. Additionally owing to some pinch points on the out and back stretches, there was  'keep right' protocol which ensured marathoners would veer across. Again the headphone wearers with no spatial awareness caused a few last ditch swerves and abrupt halts. Unnecessary and easily avoidable. 

Oh and a painful drive home: accident on the M4 provided a 45 minute delay , so nearly 3 3/4 hours to get back. Had to stop and stretch the legs halfway back.

So, today
    What - 18 miles easy recovery
    Why - I was joking
    last rest - today
    last hard - yesterday
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    😂 To 18 miles recovery. Well done Dustin. It was cold and windy in Brighton, so I dread to think how much colder and windier you had it. I had luckily done several runs on the seafront in the wind so despite it not being fun, it wasn't unknown territory.

I had someone cut me up yesterday around mile 16 going for Mars bars that were being handed out. Luckily I stayed upright. 

Enjoy your rest day. I've just had my second breakfast....so hungry! 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again!

Nice, Dustin! But remember back-to-back long runs is the way to go for an ultra, so 18 is definitely appropriate. Not.

What: just over an hour

Why: M74's plan, although he turned off after 53 so the last few minutes were hard work. Very windy. Nearly all off road but very firm and quite rutted in places. Achilles niggled after 40 minutes and back hurt from half way! As LMH said yesterday, always some niggle to manage. Hot bath needed!
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Well done Dustin, good effort.

5 miles this morning, felt okay, a wee bit sore but nothing dramatic.  Thinking of returning to the club session tomorrow night although would need to be very cautious.  Cold morning, biting wind.

Lyrics, yes.
  • I'm with you on the earphones Dustin - there's just no need in a race. Glad you're pleased with how it went and made it home safely.

Sounds positive Donaldo.

Thanks chicksta - going to be this afternoon before we know more now apparently. I so need this to be over. Enjoy your run.

Much windier than I was expecting here Alehouse. Hope the hot bath helped with the niggles.

Keep eating Daisy  :)
  • Definitely treat yourself Daisy.  Glad you can do the stairs.

Haven't done the cake yet LMH, sorry.  Will hopefully do so soon.  Hope that funding gets sorted asap.

Chicksta - yes the plan is a tough one.  I've been using the 46 to 63 mile HM one - just reducing the mileage by a small amount but sticking to the hard bits.  Maybe that is the wrong approach though.  I am interested to see what I can do HM wise on marathon training mileage (not doing a mara this year).  The focus of the HM training is of course a different one. 

Ale - have a nice run with your friend.   After a few rounds of mara training I am happy and I would also say currently physically able to do a 26k with no issues at all - when staying within reasonable pace bands. i.e. fastest pace is slightly slower than MP towards the end of the run.  It is the couple of tough runs beyond HM distance which finish at LT pace which I haven't got the hang of yet. No more of those left to do anyway.

Well done Dustin, a good result in particular with the weather conditions!  Nice list of pros and cons.  Grr to the headphone wearers causing issues. 

What: a few recovery miles later
    Why: need to move the tired legs but not overdo it
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: 13.03

Lyrics: no
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    I'm very much in the "don't wear headphones in races" contingent, particularly having witnessed horses escaping from a field in 2017's Wilmslow half Some will know that I have mentioned this before but marshals and runners were shouting "horses loose" etc. The only person to be knocked over was someone wearing headphones who didn't hear what were very important instructions. 

Don: I personally wouldn't go to the club tomorrow. You ran hard Saturday and yesterday: be careful! Hope you are doing lots of work on building up the muscles above your knees! 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning all
    daisy, well done!!! Fantastic
    alehouse lyrics yes of course, enjoy y our hour - I see you have done it, hope ankles are not sore!
    chick bet the bread smells yum
    hazel hope the tired legs ease up
    LMH agree about races and headphones
    dustin wow go you!
    A friend of mine ended up in resus for 1hr.50 mins after Brighton! Low hr low sugar low magnesium, low in short!!! Club vest cut off - she did 3.45, said that's her lot for marathons

What: 2 miles only this morning with a short walk start and finish
    why: I am not really very well
    last hard: that I guess
    last rest: 31/12/16

have a good day all
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Sounds pretty tough, Dustin. Well done. That wind at the mo is a killer. Aaargh to headphones 😡
    I had similar starting, stopping and weaving issues in Vienna and ended up running 21.6 k 😆

Hazel: I've only managed the LT pace finish by cutting the distance to 20k, apart from one occasion where I finished with a parkrun and covered 24 k in total. When is your goal half?

Managed 9 miles. Freezing cold in the wind, roasting in the sun with the wind from behind 😉

What: see above
    Why: legs said yes
    Last hard: trying to find another half marathon in the next few weeks. I really wanted a sub 1:40 and that cold didn't let me. But there's nothing in the vicinity that appeals and I don't want a 3 your drive 🙄
    Hamburg marathon is on April 28, including a half, which is - of course - sold out.
    Last rest: 8/4
    Lyrics: no
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hi again, 
    Thanks for the positive comments!
    Change of plan, and popped out for an easy run with a work pal. around 4 miles at slow and easy (9:30 m/m) Actually feel better for going...
    Tomorrow's stairs maybe trouble though
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Stairs....🤬 
  • It's not often I feel worse for a run Dustin.

Do them backwards Daisy, looks funny, works a treat.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Tee hee, Daisy ;). One of my parkrun friends ran her first marathon too yesterday and insisted her legs were fine ...  Until today. She just texted me a number of expletives :D
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Well done daisy. I did wonder this morning when you said stairs were ok but I see they are no longer so :lol:
    Dustin a good one from you as well. Ditto to the headphones.
    Ale be careful!
    Don you too
    Chick is the Hannover airport half on this year? I always enjoyed that.
    Lmh any news on fil?
    Wabo take it easy if you're still not well. How scary for your friend.
    Hazel which hm are you doing?

What: club
    Why: company
    Last hard: power walking!
    Lyrics: yes have a lovely day all
  • Fraid I also did the tee hee regarding stairs Daisy.  Will be better in a couple of days. Backwards, sideways, on your bum - doesn't matter.  Going for a very gentle short jog first day post mara and then resting for a few days can sometimes also help.  If you have very sore feet though (s. blood blister) and would need to limp then I wouldn't recommend it.  Took me 5 days post my first mara to be able to walk / do stairs without discomfort
    Have a nice outing with the club emzap.

Not good news on your friend Wabo and sorry to hear you are still feeling poorly. 

Chicksta / emzap: goal HM is 19.05 and in Basel or Basle if you prefer the French - takes in bits of France, Switzerland and Germany.
  • Supposed to have a decision this afternoon but still waiting  :/
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed LMH x

I'm not too bad on the stairs, but the narrow ones at the osteopath were a 🤬. I'm actually in reasonable shape! My feet are too sore to run but I walked into town and about to walk to the pub to meet a friend....burger night at our local. Yes I'm still starving! 

Glad your friend was OK Wabo. Scary stuff! 
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Daisy and Dustin well done for yesterday

sorry all been awol for a little while, all is well, and just doing the usual, pacing and some trg, and mixing it up etc.

Hope all are well

oh yeah know the lyrics too

Take care