Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ha ha - great pic, Khani!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G- Boston were caught out last year with the weather, good to see they're taking action this year.
    One of the Mavericks is doing Boston.

Not much the RO's can do here but they are going to keep the buses at the marathon start as long as they can, normally the marathon runners have a 90 minute wait with no shelter.  The narrow roads means they have to get the buses off the course.

I've come back to the hotel now as the winds have picked up to 50mph and it's due to rain soon, not cold though, that will be tomorrow.
    I may DNS tomorrow, I'll see what it's like later and in the morning.

I take it your shoulder has eased a little as you were able to walk all that distance.

Robert - what an horrendous case, good for you doing your duty.

Honk - no chance of it being a tailwind, it's a circular route and because of the mountains it's possible to have a headwind all the way, it's happened to us before here.

Khanivore - brilliant photo, trust you!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Jesus Christ, Rob, that's horrendous. That would keep me up at night (not that I'm not up at night anyway, but damn).

Shades, I definitely wouldn't fancy that. Good luck and hope you make it.
    Khani, bon chance!

No run today - timekeeper at parkrun. Started sunny but chilly and then got hailed on. It was right at the peak runner arrival time too, so I couldn't stop to pull my hood up!
    I did go to pilates. No problems with most of the exercises but the sore feet meant I couldn't lunge as my toes didn't like being flexed back like that.
    I'm going to have to go out for another walk now as, despite all that, I'm nowhere near my daily steps goal. Garmin is a hard taskmaster at times.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - your poor feet certainly took a right bashing in your marathon.

Well we now have the heavy rain to accompany the gale force winds. 

However, I have decided to have a go tomorrow and if I don't make the cut off times because of the conditions then at least I tried.  This afternoon I tried on the race shirt which I picked up with my number and it's so nice and such a good fit that I want to be able to wear it with pride, I may regret my vanity!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Best of luck, Shades!

Good luck to you too Khani. There’s coverage on Eurosport so I’ll be on the look out for you :)
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good luck to everyone today - especially you, Shades!

6 miles this morning. Legs are starting to feel normal (achilles a bit grumbly but that *is* normal for me!) but immune system isn't quite there yet so I'm not pushing it yet.
    Neck (front/sides) is quite sore and I realise that's down to the pilates class. Those head-up ab moves really make it ache. Ugh.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Watching the Paris Marathon, after maybe 2-3hs of broken sleep :(  I'm wondering if this issue is a trapped nerve, as well as the rotator cuff, because on occasion my hand/fingers go numb.  I don't say this lightly but at times the pain is a 10/10, if I accidentally move the arm in the wrong way.  Not good :(  I'm on co-codamol but it's still not really touching the pain so I may have to call the GP again tomorrow.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That sounds like a torn rotator cuff, Big G. Not good. You need to insist on a scan.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, the thing I don't understand is that I don't know specifically when I did it!  I.E., when I was decorating/moving stuff there wasn't a specific moment when I knew I'd done something to it as the pain only came on really bad a day or two later.  Is that normal?  In contrast, I remember when I did my back in a few years ago, I know the exact moment it happened.

Do you mean an MRI scan?

It has been a bit better today so far.  Again, is that normal for it to fluctuate so much?  Yesterday evening/night was probably the worst it's been, whereas today (so far) it's probably the best it's been over the last few days.

I'm very concerned as I have lots of events booked, the majority of which can't be deferred.  It could turn into an expensive injury if there isn't significant/long term improvement soon.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Not sounding good there,glad it's a bit better today but not a nice injury to have.
    How Shades' race has gone aswell as possible.
    Few life things going on the last few days so not ran since weds,managed to eventually get out for 10 this afternoon.
    I was looking at my training between GC and Manchester,and I was surprised that apart from 2xHM I did,I had no runs between 10 and 19 miles,managed 3 19/20 miles but definitely need some more MLR's on there aswell in future.
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Rob - wtf! Horrific!

bigG - gutted for you mate. I hope it gets sorted out soon. You need to be firm with medics imho or nothing gets done.

i posted a summary of my race here: https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/comment/11416688/#Comment_11416688

Looking at my paces it’s clear I went out a bit too fast. I held on to it till mile 21 but the cramps killed me. I’ve not had anything like this. Each spasm (calf, hamstring, quad, abductor at various tInes) was strong enough to make me feel like any one of them would put me out of the race. I don’t know why. I drank water. I didn’t take electrolytes but it didn’t feel super hot. 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Khanivore - well done. Great splits until the wheels fell off when you got cramps.  Ian is the expert on here about cramps.

Tough day for me, less rain than forecast but bitterly cold gale force winds, which never eased and never got any warmer.  No trouble making the cut offs, they are 2:30 for first 13.1 and 5:30 for marathon point, I was 2:24 and 5:07. But after marathon point I was into a bitterly cold headwind for 8 miles and too strong to run against it.  But I battled on and didn't do a PW, finished in 8:12, about 20 minutes faster than last year.
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Wow shades! Headwinds are my nemesis. I’m in awe of the fact that you spent over 8 hours in them!!!! What an inspiration! Well done :)

ian - help! :)
  • H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    Well done both of you, Shades how long was your ultra? Tough day by the sound of it. Nice write up on the Paris thread Khani.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-In the circumstances that is a brilliant result,really well done on the mental strength to dig it out.
    Khani-Looks like you were going really well until the cramps got you.Interestingly you got them after 1 of your fastest miles,I often get cramps(less now) and I think part of the cause is change in stride pattern as I get tired and if you've speeded up,esp as it was uphill then,then that could have played a part.
    Anyway to the cure....my last 2 I've taken miniature alcohol bottles containing gherkin juice and when I've felt the twinges of cramp I've drank half a bottle,its caused my cramps to go a lot quicker than they used to,as in about 30 secs,compared to minutes previously,and I've not had to stop running with them.It's something to do with the vinegar shocking the brain,alls I know for sure is I've definitely seen a benefit in them.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Honk - 39.3 miles, now a standard race distance in Ireland. Quite a tough course with 2 significant hills in the final 13 miles. The last hill is at 35.5 miles and goes onto 37 miles and is called The Hell of the West.
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    @Ian5 blimey! So should I put gherkin juice in the bottles or vinegar? I want to try this but I’ve never had cramps before and don’t know when I’ll get them again.

is there a brand if gherkin juice you recommend?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I just picked up the cheapest bottle,and the gherkin juice is what I use.If you've never had them before you may be ok next time.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

If you look carefully the route profile is engraved into the top of the medal, nice touch.

Will be wearing my shirt today 😊
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Have wussed out of my recovery run this morning.  My left ITB was very sore last night but that feels OK today.

I just can't face another run in that wind. View from my hotel window.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Shades.  Great race finish and nice medal/shirt too.  Looks like you made the right decision to not do the recovery run - hideous conditions!

Well done Khani.  Did you enjoy the course etc - I think it was changed slightly compared to previous years.  I see there was a bit of controversy as a French runner was temporarily banned from running for evading a doping test, but had that decision was overturned on Friday - she finished 4th in the end for a French record.
    http://en.rfi.fr/sports/20190414-ethiopia-sweeps-paris-marathon-calvin-smashes-french-record
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - my Conne shirt is definitely a Trotter blue colour.

How's the shoulder today?

Khanivore - how are the legs today?  I hope you've been for your recovery run  ;)

Re your cramps, there are lots of theories to their cause including lack of electrolytes, but strength work on the legs including hill training will help.  But I would advise taking some electrolytes too irrespective of whether it's warm or not. I did mention this to you before. Sports drinks, or electrolyte drops/tablets or there are some gels that do have them too.
  • LoueyLouey ✭✭✭
    Slinking back in after a long hiatus…

I've been sporadically lurking but haven't a hope of properly catching up. I did see that Steve got engaged (congratulations!) and that BigG has moved into a new place with his GF, which is fantastic news. Hope the shoulder gets better soon, sounds very painful.

I've been tracking some of you on Strava so I know there has been some great running recently although Ian – I hadn't realised that you were so close to that GFA place. I'm sure you will get it soon. 

Khani – good to see you running again! Well done on Paris – cramps are tough – even though it wasn't hot, sounds like you needed to take on some electrolytes. Very jealous of your pic with Paula! 

Shades – those conditions! Well done on starting, let alone finishing in that.  That is a very nice t-shirt – I can see why you wanted to run to be able to wear it with pride.

Ran Brighton marathon yesterday, my first marathon since Brighton the year before.  It was all going swimmingly well until mile 22 when we turned into a really strong headwind and it was hard to push through it. I was on course for a sub-4 until that point but lost the time over those few miles and finished in 4:00:29. I think everyone found it hard, just the wrong point of the race to hit that strength of wind with literally no shelter. I was still overtaking people at that point but just slower. I'm pretty sure without the wind I would have got under 4hrs. But I know that otherwise the race went well – you can't control the weather.  Felt dreadful at the end, but then I always do. 64th in my age category (out of 837) and top 10% of women overall. 

Splits (for those who like to pore over these things…)

1 9.03
    2 8.41
    3 8.58
    4 8.52
    5 8.42
    6 8.54
    7 8.58
    8 8.54
    9 9.00
    10 8.59
    11 8.57
    12 8.44
    13 8.56
    14 9.04
    15 9.04
    16 9.07
    17 9.00
    18 9.10
    19 8.57
    20 8.56
    21 9.11
    22 9.43
    23 9.50
    24 9.50
    25 9.50
    26 9.47
    0.35 3.12 

I'm a bit sunburnt despite it being really cold but otherwise the legs don't feel too bad considering. I'm aiming to get out for a recovery run tonight after work. Tried to book my next marathon (Abingdon) last night only to find that my club have failed to renew my UK athletics membership. Bit cross about it – hopefully they can sort it quickly, otherwise I will run unaffiliated.  

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Thats a really nice tshirt,nice touch with the medal.
    Louey-Great to hear from you,those are brilliant splits up until 21,wind is bad at anytime but especially at then end when you have less energy.
    Very windy here at the minute so will go for a run later.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - That's a brilliant result.
    Ian - I looked at Newport for next year, as I had heard it's a flat course.
    Louey - Great to hear from you. Brillant run in Brighton.
    Khani - Well done!
    15 miles for me on Saturday, then Sunday was the usual 90 minutes on the bike and a 5 mile recovery run. Another 50 mile week done.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Hi Louey :)

Shades, shoulder is no good, sadly :(  

For any would-be Boston watchers, this appears to be working.
    http://123tvnow.com/watch/nbc-sport-network-nbcsn/
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Louey - lovely to have you back however brief!

Shame about that headwind at Brighton, I think it messed up a lot of race plans yesterday.  I think that's the 2nd time you've been just seconds away from that elusive sub 4.  Hope you can do it at Abingdon.
    Annoying your club haven't renewed your EA licence. You can go on the portal and see if they've done it now.

Great splits from you as usual.  :)

Steve - it's a shame you're not doing a marathon with that training mileage  ;)

Big G - sorry to hear the shoulder is still bad. Hope the physio can sort you out. Have you cancelled this coming weekend's races?

I heard it was windy too at Great Welsh yesterday.

Am at airport now so will try the Boston link you've posted.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Can't get that live stream for Boston to work on my phone.
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Hey @Louey Well done on Brighton! I got a 4:00:45 at Brighton in 2014. I lost time at and after the industrial estate. How did you find that bit? :) It seemed to suck the very life out of me lol.

Shades - don't blame you for missing your recovery run. Weather looks really naff. Like your medal. The Paris one was designed by a guy who spends the rest of his time designing jam jar lids :) Re. electrolytes, I didn't know how to take them. I didn't want to carry a sports drink and none were on offer. Next time I will take salt sticks with me and some gherkin juice. 

First day of my new job today! Quads are still hurting - i'm ok once i'm walking but after sitting still a while things start to hurt when i move again. Had to spend an hour in the car getting here. Pulled a muscle getting in and another getting out :) Recovery run planned for tonight. 

@Big_G i LOVED Paris. So many interesting things to see on the way around the course. Also, lots of people shouting ALLEZ AMIR (my name is on my vest).. the most vocal supporters were the Brits though :)