Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes looking good. 

Next weekend is the usual London weekend but of course it's deferred a week due to Easter. Interesting that we are having a mini heatwave for weekend. Could  Easter have outsmarted the weathers efforts to ruin our day!!!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I was thinking the same, DT. As we very well know and felt, last year was the hottest London on record, yet I remember the following weekend would have been ideal. Let's hope for the same this year with Easter being warm first.

In my Boston, it must have been close to 30 DegsC at Newton Hills. The following day it was bloomin' cold, we were all in coats!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    In fact, the day after London 18 presented perfect conditions. I was furious, and would be more so if it happens again this year. 
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    It's looking like between 8 and 14 degrees for London on the long range forecast so hopefully you'll catch a break this year. I never want to have to run in that heat again.

SBD through halfway in 1:28. Looking good.
    Lorenzo on for a 3:07 at the moment, should be through 20k shortly.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    SBD slowed slightly in the last split and is about to hit the Newton hills. Hold on there, fella!!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's touch and go now. Home and got NBC on. 
  • Gul, a great run and a well-deserved result. Sorry for not posting sooner, jonesette #1 got married at the weekend and it has been rather chaotic with father of the bride duties. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    25 sec buffer, 1 mile to go. i know just how sbd will be ferling right now!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Congrats PMJ hope you had a great day.
    Lovely report Gul,that’s a great way to run a marathon. And I’m not at all surprised you cried- I’ve been there.
    My pals in Boston both missed sub 3, looks like conditions are doing the damage.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Awesome day in Boston.  No rain and feeling warm.  Tail wind to keep us honest and great crowds.  Crested Heartbreak Hill in good shape and felt like I could pick the pace up for the last 9K.  but the calfs were threatening to cramp so I had to sit on the pace.  Avoided cramping which had always been a fear but left it a bit tight on time and a sprint was required down Boylston Street to bring me home in 2:59:53.  Very happy!

Hope Lorenzo has had a good one.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Brilliant what a close shave!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Superb, SBD - many congrats !  was tracking you & Lorenzo.    
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I'd call that precision pacing! Well done!
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Been working off grid + not running, the knee is really gone this time. But what a pleasure to drop back in and see such fab performances: Stevie, Nicko, Gul, SBD, apologies if the quick trawl back has missed anyone. Fantastic running and big kudos all round. Very impressed that all the hard work has resulted in such good times. You've earned it.

It seems invidious to single out one performance but a squeaky sub3 in Boston is brilliant on a very tricky course. I went to Boston close to sub 3 shape and came home with 3.20 so I know what a terrific run SBD has had.

In other news, I'm coming to the conclusion that the 13 year LM streak is over so I will probably defer. It had to happen sometime but is nevertheless disappointing. Will be there in spirit if not in the pub.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Should have added:
    Birch - sorry to hear that sad news
    Gul - have known for years that you could and would do this. Top banana.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    You’ll be a huge loss as a drinking buddy Poacher. Hope you are back soon if not in London.
  • Gold RushGold Rush ✭✭✭
    Delurk
    Gul-superb performance, it was a pleasure to meet you, I’ve never seen Such a big smile and thoroughly deserved after that immense training block... well done
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Fantastic result SBDLorenzo! 

Got out for my first run since Manchester, 4m easy which came out at 8.22/133 HR. Quads were still a bit achey at the end but otherwise all good!

Gul is this you??
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Amazing result SBD that's some serious running to go sub 3 on hills! Great sprint finish to nab the time.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    very well done, SBD. 1 second faster than my just sub 3. 

Poacher, that'll be a shame not to see you in London. 

There's one guy in that photo that appears to have viewed a very different forecast to the rest of the pack!!

Are you referring to the legs stood on what could be a podium? 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That’s like me DT always overdressed. Tough day out there Lorenzo but I hope you had a great experience
  • Quick check in to congratulate SBD on a great performance. Not perfect conditions so to go sub 3 is tremendous. 

Not so impressive from me I'm afraid - I probably didn't pay the course enough respect and having faded badly in the final 10 to end up with a 3:27. Still, a fantastic experience with great support all the way around the route and I managed to bag a couple of kisses at Wellsley College as well as one from Mrs L at Mile 23! 
  • VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭
    Gul, just popped in to say WooHoo! What a great race and result, particularly in the windy conditions. The negative split just frames it all in a perfect light. Good job keeping your head with your watch giving you all kinds of up and down readings. That took some steady nerves. I think your wife should pray for us all on race day;) . Bask away...
  • VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭
    SBD and Lorenzo, I echo Poacher's comments. Boston is a tricky course for sure. I crested heartbreak on my one attempt feeling strong only to find my quads stuck in 4th gear...no way to shift them to 5th despite a rather full tank of gas. Sweet sprint finish to keep bragging rights with the sub3 SBD and Lorenzo you soaked it all up in style and come home with a great story (and getting a little bit tougher having dug deep in tough conditions)!

Badbark, I read back and was shocked to read your news. I hope the docs are wrong (really really hope!) and that you'll be fine. I thought I wrecked my hip a few years ago (so did a few other medical folks). Little did we know, all good after some healing and strengthening and gate adjustments. Hope springs eternal!

Birch, sorry for your loss.

On my end, I'm just logging miles and slowly building for an autumn marathon. It's been 3 years since my last race. Think I'm a bit overdue.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gul glad you have finally got the result your training deserved after all this time and no doubt there is more potential for further pb's in the future now the 3:15 monkey is off your back.

SBD cracking race and just made it bet you were relieved to cross that line.

Lorenzo well toughed out and still a decent time.

VTrunner welcome back ,looks like a mara is well overdue.

Badbark glad you are progressing well and hopefully there is a path back to some top level running in the future again.
  • VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭
    Hi Leslie! Hope you are well and running fast at the moment.

Also, meant to say Gul, your running volume seems incredible. I'm impressed with your durability. I think much more can come in future campaigns. Did you happen to get HR stats for the race? Did your HR stay pretty steady throughout? You did some HADD stuff so wondering if you ended up running near the 80% mark he says to shoot for (as I think the 85-87% is only for superhumans over a marathon!). I think I remember your last half being very fast, right? Will be fun to see what you do next. More PRs await!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Congratulations to SBD and Lorenzo.
    That's a massive achievement SBD and great pacing to sneak under 3 by a few seconds. Look forward to hearing a full report.
    Well done too, Lorenzo. Sorry it didn't go to plan, but I'm sure it was an unforgettable experience. 
    PMJ - that sounds like a pretty good excuse to me! Congratulations to your daughter.
    Stevie - no, that's not me. I'll try and post the pic Mrs GD took in a mo.
    VTr - great to hear from you. Not much HADD stuff for me lately. I think my HR averaged high 160s, but only using a wrist HRM at the moment so not as accurate.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great Photo Gul and welcome back VT, glad you are building nicely and thinking about that long overdue race.
    All this marathon talk is starting to give me the collywobbles about London.

I don't think I mentioned my race last weekend. It was a 10k mainly on grass and a cold breezy day. I wasn't feeling the love and slumped to 39:20, my worst 10k for a good few years. Still I get another go this weekend at the North Tyneside 10k. The whole family are running so should be fun. A taper week should help too.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Loved tracking the Boston runners. Superb sub-3 there SBD. I bet that left turn onto Boylston was quite dramatic as you raced to duck under the number? The finish to the elite men's was rather special too.

Well toughed out, Lorenzo. As I've mentioned before, my Boston was such a brutal experience in terms of weather yet probably the most enjoyable of all marathon experiences. I hope that's the same for you. Recover well, mate and grab a few pints of Samuel Adams.

Smashing picture, Gul. That's a sub-3.15 smile if ever I saw one!! 

Great to hear from VTrunner again.

Good luck with that 10k, OO.

Rest day yesterday. Went for a curry with mates and am full of rice this morning. 7 miles of something later, not sure what...