Overdone it?

Comments

• muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Maybe FGFA offends those in the category somehow DT ? It's not something I would really take pride in - it's a description and I have neutral feelings about it. What was the other reason ? Anyway I will be joining you in the Yellow start.

Mace - Sorry to hear about the miserable run out on Sunday and the continued PF. There is no need to hurt yourself, but it would be good to at least have the chance of bumping into you. For what it's worth, my previous 20 mile run was a miserable thing.

McFlooze - I think that's actually a rather good run even if you don't feel quite happy with how it went and brilliant that you've come through all that training, and the race and stayed in one piece.

DT - Someone I follow on Strava appears to have bailed out at Rotterdam after 13 miles and is a very strong runner. It makes me dread a hot day in London.

I did the Solihull half on Sunday. The plus side was that the virus seemed to be completely out of my system, however I was tired from the week's training and didn't hold effort through to the end, but set off at a decent clip. It wasn't a large or quality field and I finished 4th (1st v45) in 1.18.21 without doing too much damage to myself. However I wasn't up for much more running afterwards, so failed to make it a 20 for the day so around 56 miles for the week. Rest day yesterday and back to the increasingly wearisome grindstone today. Only one more week of this before the taper kicks in. It's all getting very real now with questions accumulating as to whether I've done enough.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    It confused some and offended others. 

Well we cant be worrying too much about the weather yet. The problem is, whilst the mid range forecast is a bit like today, you cant read too much into it as that very brief heatwave came against an otherwise pretty cold April last year. My last 2 maras have had less than ideal conditions so im due a dose of good fortune. 

I'm looking forward to taper, though im quite enjoying the routine of it. Having had a slightly reduced week last week with no session (aside from relays) and no long run my legs have come back to me a bit this last few days and it feels nice. 

My major issue is weight, im about 3-4lb heavier than previous marathons, albeit i suppose there is time to trim a bit off. 

Well done on solihull, i quite enjoyed that last year. Are you doing Droitwich? 
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I think it was probably confusing because 'good for age' is about being fast in the context of the rest of your age group, which all of the people with that kind of entry already are, by definition. Whereas 'fast good for age' was about being *objectively* fast, regardless of what age you were, so that they could gather all the actually-fast-but-not-champs-start people together and let them start at the front. They should have renamed it 'good for age, and also actually quite fast'.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
     I agree there is a lack of understanding around fgfa. First I had ever heard of it was last year when I mate was on it and it was his 10th London and he had never heard of it before. I think with Champs start everyone knows what it is and what the requirements are. FGFA is a little more mysterious as there does not appear to be any set requirements.
  • So far although I have an entry for Droitwich, I won't be doing it - so looks like my reign as Worcs. Vet county half marathon champion will be over. It was good while it lasted  :'(
  • Mace, I'll echo other's sentiments and say it's not worth injuring yourself further just for the sake of starting the LM.  There will be other races (maybe not other LMs - I have tried 8 years in a row now to get in with no luck - buggers) and other challenges for you to face when you are feeling more confident.  Don't sweat it.

An easy 7 yesterday followed by a 5m progression today.  I went out with a colleague and so took things a little easier than I would normally but it still felt like a good session.  I'll chalk that up as a medium difficulty session and still look to do a hard session on Friday with an easy run and a rest day before.

Did a 6x1k @ 10kp last week which went well.  Not sure if I'm up for adding an additional rep so will probably just do another harder progression on Friday.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

I
    DT19 said:

Reading a brief report on the Rotterdam mara where Tommy was. Sounds like he got unlucky again with some surprise warm weather which seems to have ruined a lot of peoples day.

I met Bob at the rd relays on Saturday, however I didn't know it was Bob until I worked it out the following day.

Yup. It was ferociously hot! Well more specifically it started in the mid-teens and then got up to about 21 degrees, which is a bit hot to be running marathons but particularly so when you have done zero running in temperatures remotely close to that (having said that my mate went sub 3 for the first time - he reckons he can cope with the hot weather better due to his Maltese grandma!).

Original aim was 3:05-3:10, however, after a couple of miles I realised that it really wasn't the day for that so downgraded to 3:15. Went through halfway in 1:36 which was about right. However, I knew the second half was going to be much harder work. Having turned myself inside out at Antwerp last year for a 3:22 and being utterly obliterated for a good few weeks afterwards, I wasn't interested in doing that again. I saw some mates at about the 18 mile point and stopped and had a chat with them for a couple of minutes. I then set off for a bit of a jog and tactical walks through the water stations for the next 8 miles. I felt ok but it certainly wasn't easy and I could feel my right calf cramping for the last couple of miles so was pleased to get finished in 3:33.

Had a great weekend with my mates though and Rotterdam is a cool place. The marathon course is relentlessly flat and very exposed with little/no shade but suspect it's an ideal PB course in better weather conditions. It's very well organised as you'd expect for such a big event and was well supported along most of the route with loads of music stations. A particular highlight for me was a bloke at 11 miles deploying some ear splitting Dutch techno at full volume on top of a 10m high platform. 

Two years in a row with unseasonably hot weather is a bit frustrating but can't be helped. I think I'm going to take 18 months off from marathon training now before having a crack at one in the autumn of 2020. No running for a few days before thinking about sorting out my 5k and 10k times this summer.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

McF - congratulations on Manchester. Sounds like a tough last few miles. You've put in a decent block of training and your knee has survived which is great, hopefully you can get stuck in to the shorter stuff over summer.

Mace - sounds like a bit of a grim run at the weekend. I've got a couple of mates suffering with PF, it sounds like a bloody nuisance.

DH - some decent training going on for the sub 40 attempt.

Muddy - nicely done at Solihull. 

DT - good work at the relays, decent time given the nature of the course. Can't believe you didn't twig it was Bob! Similar to Richard not realising it was me at the NZ parkrun, although that is slightly more understandable! 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Muddy - you're a game guy, knock out quite a few halfs, and always decent times too.

DT - I'm not pleased to hear that apparently the masters relays at Sutton Park will be the same route your one was.
    So that extra down before you go up the actual hill. Arse.

Still...once you're on the flat, you get to rampage straight down the hill, unlike that dreaded out and back bit in the long legs!

100miles for a 3mile race is a bit mad, but hey, I did 120miles for a 1mile race last year!
    And 220miles to Burnley for a 5k, albeit factored into a football hoon.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

SG, yes as we were dropping down I was extremely conscious that we would need to run back up. It isn't helped as well when chaps starting the next leg are hammering by and you aren't sure if they are just really good or you are being shit!

That is a shame for you, Tommy. So much time and effort is invested in a mara then an aspect you have no control over ruins it all.

Solid session yesterday of 6,5,4,3,2,2,3,4,5,6 mins at hmp with 90s intervals at mp. 8.3 miles for an average pace of 6.26. Second half faster than first half and I pushed it out a bit on the final 6 minute rep to 6.09 pace. Average hr was 162

So a bit of magic for you, I did a lighter version of this session in mid November covering 5.8m at average pace of 6.34 for average hr of 168.

easy 5 today.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

SG - we're trying to field a v35 team for the masters road relays but it's proving a little difficult! We won't be nearly as strong as we were at the Midlands due to the fact that 5 of our best 6 runners are under 35! We did manage to cobble a team together for the Nationals but we were seriously depleted as 7 of the team from the Midlands were in Rotterdam or Manchester. Annoying I couldn't do it, hopefully next year.

DT - yeah it's a shame but I'm not down about it, I had a good weekend regardless. There was a fair number of casualties out on the route and a poor bloke was receiving CPR on the finish line when I finished. It was reported that quite a few people needed resuscitating and sadly one person didn't survive.   

Decent looking session that, fingers crossed it all comes together for you in London.

My legs feel pretty much back to normal today, might try a run out tomorrow.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Tommy, I am surprised that there weren't more similar incidences in London last year.

The plus point from the weekend (as mcf also stated) is that your recovery will at least be pretty quick. I note your team finished behind us at the relays. Your leg 6 runner went off a good few minutes before I did, so you must have lost a lot of time in 2nd half for us to claw that back and put a couple of minutes on you.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Yep, looking at the results our clubs were fairly evenly matched on the long legs but you were much stronger on the short ones. Looks like we front loaded the running order too hence the drop of in the second half.

Yep hopefully will be fully recovered by the end of the week and can then crack on with short distance stuff.  

• McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear you got unlucky again, Tommy. That's the really frustrating thing about marathons - eggs in one basket. But you'll be really fit for the summer. Glad you had a nice time in Rotterdam regardless. I've only ever been for work. 

Mace - that run sounded horrendous. Can you take yourself off for a nice trail medium long run, no pressure and no life threatening traffic and see how you feel, or is the PF too bad? 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Tommy i hope you get a team in.

Our best guys are all over 35 really. One is v55 and sharp although he's out.

The silly talk about mulitple teams and a team coach there has died down, but we have 5 deffo in now so im sure we'll wheel a 6th in.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Final big run done yesterday, 22 miles. 67 for week which is biggest ever. Time to put my feet up. 
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Well done, DT.  I do think that this time I felt the lack of longer long runs.  I only maxed out at 20.  I think in future I'd try and do a couple of 22-23 mile runs. With maybe some faster finishes.  

You've trained hard so you've got every chance of smashing it.  

• At the other end of the training spectrum I managed about 2 miles last night at about 14:15.

Next week I'm going to do same run in sub 14.

It's a 4 run week this week in my alternate day running programme so hoping to manage 10 - 12 miles which would do me for now and for probably rest of this year. 

I'll leave the 67 mile weeks for DT :-) Hope taper goes well DT and Tommy and McFlooze are both recovering well from their marathons.

Lit - any running yet or am I starting to move up the thread weekly mileage chart?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I ran 6 miles on Saturday, but then I couldn't be arsed on Sunday. My dog did lots of running in the park though. He's much faster than me.
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

I feel recovered! I clearly didn't try very hard at all.

Good news on the increasing mileage, Skinny. Fingers crossed the patience you're showing is rewarded.

Great going, DT. Enjoy the taper!

Trying to sort out some shorter races for the spring / summer. Can any of the west midlands lot recommend a fast 10k?  

• Speedway 10k in mid-June Tommy - it's Chepstow though, so a stretch from the Midlands. Market Drayton 10k is usually full by now but there is a transfers queue (mid May). Later in the summer, well more towards Autumn, you probably know Wilne 10k ... If I think of more I'll let you know. Derby 10k perhaps ?

Aiming to do my final long run for London tonight. I was feeling exhausted and slept a lot over the weekend and busy last night, so leaving it a bit late :worried:

Well done on your long run DT - exemplary stuff. I may slog through 15-18 tonight...

Maybe a bit more mileage is feasible in the coming months, Skinny ?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Tommy, I am targeting the Magor 10k, which is the last Saturday in July, but again, it is in South Wales.

Closer to home I know a few running the Northbrook 10k, which is closer to mcf so she might be able to shed some light on the profile. The others I have planned locally are not particularly flat.

Skinny, good to see you are still going though. As a consistent period of running this is the best you've achieved since the issue arose.

Decent session over lunchtime, 2 x 1k off 90s- 3 mins- 4 x 600 off 90s-3 mins- 6 x 400 off 1min. Legs felt really good and garmin advised me at the end that I was peaking.

I note there is a mini heatwave this weekend. If it wasn't for Easter being this weekend it would have been the London mara as that is always 3rd sunday in April except when Easter clashes. Phew!!!

Enjoy your long run, Muddy. I have 14 on Friday as my last real stretch.

• muddyfunster said:

Aiming to do my final long run for London tonight. I was feeling exhausted and slept a lot over the weekend and busy last night, so leaving it a bit late :worried:

Well done on your long run DT - exemplary stuff. I may slog through 15-18 tonight...

If you've been feeling exhausted maybe you might benefit more from not doing another long run?

• Yeah I didn't do it Skinny.

I am getting blood tests done next Wednesday as part of an annual health check so will be interested in what comes out of that.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Very sensible Muddy - make sure they also check ferritin levels, as that isn't always included in the standard blood tests, but I have heard lots of (anecdotal) examples, including my own, of runners who have had very low ferritin while presenting normal haemoglobin levels.
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    I always think we are a bit lacking in flat 10ks locally.  There's the Massey's Tractor 10k on Easter Monday - v flat but poss a bit soon.  Northbrook is undulating but not too bad. Bit like a mini Cov half.  Later in the Autumn is the Balsall Common 10k which is now in the Warwickshire Road race league.   

When I feel more tired than usual I tend to just get on some iron supplements for a while.  I'm pretty prone to it as a menstruating woman.  Obviously that doesn't apply to Muddy but footstrike haemolysis is real issue for all runners.  
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Tractor 10k is completely sold out.

I meant to ask you, is the Ryton 5 miler flat and accurate in distance? Got my eye on that this year.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Muddy, thanks. Yes Wilne is on my list but would like a couple of others to have a go at earlier in the year. Sounds like a good decision to not force a long run last night.

DT - Northbrook might work, thanks. Decent looking session, your other PB's will all be re set after London I reckon. Lots of chat already about the possible temperatures in London amongst my mates who are running it.

McF- thanks for the extra info on Northbrook. Hope you're continuing to recover well.

Looking even further ahead, I'm thinking about an autumn half, currently in the mix are Cardiff, Manchester and Peterborough, anybody got any thoughts on those or any other suggestions? 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Tommy, it struck me whilst out running that 26th May is the Worcester Pitchcroft 10k. That's as flat as can be but is a 3 x 2 mile course so I suspect there may be some traffic to encounter on the final lap. I recall Lou doing it a couple of years ago so he might be able to comment.

Also 23rd June is the Wythall 10k, which is 5 minutes off j3 of m42. This is a two lap course. There is a climb at 2k for the whole k and again at 6k. However immediately off the climb is a long straight 2k section that is fully downhill. The rest of the course is flat. It attracts a decent standard as they have some decent prize money and there is also a 5k going on at the same time. i'm hoping to run this if things work out.

I am looking at Peterborough. I did it in 2016 I think and it was flat/downhill. It is a 10.30 start as well which helps.

I am acutely aware that I am currently training far better than I race so I am hoping for some kind of breakthrough shortly. I am trying to avoid stressing about the forecast just yet, save for my observation above that Easter may have saved the day. Control the controllables!

8 easy over lunchtime. Sports massage tonight.