Sub 3h15

Comments

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Lorenzo for sticking it out; sounds like a tough day in the office. At least you got some kisses out of it, every cloud etc.

Nice pic Gul you look so happy and proud! Hope you are still buzzing.

Poacher sorry to hear that you are not going to make it to London now; hopefully you'll be back to full form soon. Will you join me and Stevie on supporter duties?

First run back since Manchester last night; 5 mile progression run with the club. Legs were NOT ready for it; got the first 4 done at 7:42, 7:37, 7:04, 6:25 but then faded to a 6:41 before a bounce back to regain some dignity for .2 @ 5:30pace. 

Bit of drama when we went under the staple hill tunnel and came out the other side, some kids were launching sticks onto the path from overhead, which is quite a way up - could have seriously injured someone; unfortunately there was no quick way to get up there and throw them over the edge!

Debating whether to buy some Manchester photos - as usual they are super pricey - £10 for 1 digital! Annoyingly the finish photos don't contain the gantry with the time on, otherwise I would definitely get them:

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Apologies Gul, I saw the pic on Strava from someone who finished with a similar time to you and I thought it looked like a picture of you I had seen before! Great photo of the actual you!

Nicko - I preordered mine and paid £20 for the lot which I didn't think was too bad. I think my finish line photo sums up how I was feeling!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Stevie you are just a lad ;)
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    nicko - yes, a shame the clock is not showing on that photo!
    stevie - no problem. Yes, I recognise a few of those guys, so around about the same time as me, I guess. The relief on your face in that photo is palpable :)
    One or two photos from Sunday coming online now. This one is around 19 miles apparently. The guy just behind overtook me before the end and was 2nd MV50; a 100 marathon club runner who had bagged a sub 3 at Manchester the week before!
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    I remember that guy from Manchester, was running with him for a bit - 150ish marathons he's done.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Hey Stevie - check out the very beginning of this video - the first person through is a familiar face:

https://www.facebook.com/ManchesterEveningNews/videos/2349769681918030/

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Cheers Nicko! There's also a full finish line video on the Manchester Marathon Facebook page now
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Awesome - now I need to rip it and save some stills - shame there's a picture-in-picture interview going on as I cross. Cheers for the heads up.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    There are some hilarious (but copyright protected) photos of me at the finish online with the runners ahead casually approaching the line and me looking like I'm winning the Olympics or something!
    Going away later today with Mrs GD for our wedding anniversary and then it's Miss GD the elder's 21st birthday on Easter Sunday. Must get back into some running with a 10k coming up on 5th May. Anyone racing this weekend? OO maybe?
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    VTr - I checked my HR stats and my avg bpm were:-
    mile 1 in 130s
    miles 2-3 in 140s
    miles 4-12 in 150s
    miles 13-26 in 160s
    No idea how to interpret that.
    My previous marathon where I crashed in the last 6-8 miles was very similar except that my HR dropped back down to 150s when my pace dropped.
    Not sure what my max HR is. Using my old watch and chest strap I used to get readings in 220s, but with my wrist HRM my highest has been in 190s very occasionally.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great photo, Gul. Looking far too relaxed! 

Cracking pics from Stevie and Nicko too. Stevie, you're a young whipper-snapper, alright. I reckon I have pants older than you!  :D

Hope the Boston boys are recovering well.

My car died last night, timing chain snapped and the repair is 5 times the value of the car. Selling it for scrap and having to search for a new one. Could do without that expense right now.

However, it did mean working from home today and getting a lunchtime run in, so...every cloud!

Due to being towed home by The AA last night, the run was binned, so I effectively had another rest day. Today's 7 miler felt straight forward and averaged 6.41 pace, it was warm too. Possibly a bit too quick but with over 10 days to go I thought a tad extra pace wouldn't hurt. Added some strides in the final mile for a final split of 6.25.

All miles now will be steady or easy. The weather on the day will determine what race pace is but I really want to have another go at level 7.00s like I almost did in Chicago (7.06 pace). 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Excellent report and pictures Gul.  To get under 3:10 after such a long wait and to do it finishing strongly is just brilliant.  A podium place truly well deserved.

I wouldn't listen to the doctor either Badbark - it's often too easy for them to just say to stop running.

Sad to hear the LM streak may come to an end Poacher - that's an impressive run but gives you time to make next year a special one (the 100th?).

Good to see you're back out running Stevie.  Which 10Ks are you targeting?

Good to hear from VT - which Autumn marathon are you targeting?

Best of luck with the North Tyneside 10K OO - anything under 40 minutes is still a good time!

Go easy on the initial runs nicko - I would stick with just recovery runs for the initial week.

Nice finish line pictures from Manchester.

Sorry to hear you had a bad day's running Lorenzo.

Thanks for all the best wishes. 

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

SBD - How are the legs feeling? I've got the Two Castles Run 9th June, a track 10k at Leamington 20th June and Northbrook 10k 14th July. I'm also planning Stratford park run on 18th May to hopefully get under 18 mins!

Went for a light walk and did some stretches last night. 6m to do tonight, will probably go to club and tag along with the 8min mile tempo group and just take it easy.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Boston Marathon Report

Marathon number six, a year after Brighton in which I ran 2:59:35. Training had generally gone well and I felt I was in slightly better shape than 12 months ago. I'd also tailored the training to the course, so all the long runs and the mid-week MLRs had been on undulating terrain and in the last few weeks I ran plenty of tempo paced miles on the downhills. I've been nursing a few niggles over the last few months but these were in the background.

My dream target was to run under 3 hours but this depended on having good weather conditions and the travel and time difference (5hrs) not being a factor. For the time difference, I tried to stay close to UK time, so getting to bed 7/8pm and waking up at c. 5am. This seem to work well and I slept really well on the Friday, Saturday and even the Sunday. The weather was a bit harder to control. It was always going to be windy but the early forecasts were for torrential rain and thunderstorms with head winds of 20mph. By Saturday the forecast had changed to a tail wind and warmer temperatures, reaching 20degC by lunchtime, but still with heavy rain throughout the day and possible thunderstorms.

Caught the yellow school bus from Boston Common at 6:30am for the 45 minute journey to Hopkinton. Got talking to a few Americans who filled me in with details on the start arrangements and helped settle the nerves. Although we'd had torrential rain during the journey to the start, this ceased by 9am to leave grey skies and pleasant temperatures. So just as well I'd applied some sun cream before leaving the hotel!

The starting arrangements were very civilized and I got myself to the front of Coral 6, with 5,000 runners ahead of me, with 10 minutes to go. Quick homage to the American flag and watch the jets flying overhead and then we're off. No sign of any rain and if anything it's beginning to feel a bit warm.

I'd broken the course in to four segments: the first five miles, miles 5-15, miles 15-21 and miles 21 to 26.2. The plan was to cover the first section, which is downhill, at no faster than 6:40 m/m, establish a good cruising speed of c. 6:48 for the second essentially flat section, run strongly through the Newton Hills at c. 7:00 pace, leaving enough energy to pick up the pace for the last section at 6:48 or better. So half-way in 1:28.

It was a bit crowded off the start and the pace slower than I expected but there was no space to get around other runners without expending vital energy. So despite the steep downhill, the first 5K was covered at 6:47 pace and the next 5K at 6:50. Not quite the plan, but at least there was now enough room to pass other runners and I'd avoided going off too fast!

Picked up the pace from the 10K point, covering the next three 5K sections at 6:40, 6:42 and 6:43 pace. Whilst flat, there were plenty of undulations which meant the pace was fluctuating a lot on the Garmin so I switched to running to effort and tried to inore the pace information too much. Went through half way in 1:28:15 and settled for a few high fives in the Wellesley scream tunnel to avoid losing any time!

The Garmin lost signal just after 15 miles. This threw me a little but I'd got used to running to effort and HR and the Newton Hills were fast approaching. I'd had many a sleepless night worrying about this section of the course but I found it easier than feared and really enjoyed cresting Heartbreak Hill feeling strong and with only 5 miles of downhill running left.

I'd hit 20 miles in 2:15:33, so still just ahead of 2:58 pace, and had lost only 31 seconds on Heartbreak Hill. Thoughts of a strong finish and a negative split started to enter my mind. The short stretch to the 35K marker was covered at 6:45 pace but at this point I became aware of both calfs feeling like they were about to cramp. This had always been a worry. I got bad cramps at the 20 mile point at Brighton in 2019 and I also experienced some cramping in the last mile at the recent half marathon.

So time to go to survival mode and slow the pace to keep the cramps at bay. I was hoping the calfs would quickly return to normal and I could the pick the pace up again but as the miles ticked by this never quite happened. I kept an eye on the time at the mile markers but was probably a bit complacent on the precise time I had in hand and the pace I'd slowed down to. I thought I hit 26 miles in 2:58 dead and that I could cruise to the finish line with time to spare but the finish gantry looked an awfully long way away with 60 seconds remaining. With a slight sense of desperation I went in to sprint mode and gave it all I had left. Very relieved to see the watch showing 2:59:53 as I crossed the line.

Over the moon with the time and pleased to have avoided the legs cramping. I would have liked to have had a stronger finish over the last 5 miles but happy to settle for the outcome on the day.

Managed to finish in 2,610th place overall so must have passed quite a few runners over the course.

The course is brilliant and the support from the crowds and the volunteers at the end was tremendous and made the whole day very special.

In the end, we were very lucky with the weather conditions. It was warm but not too warm (Wave 2 had more of the sunshine) and there was a strong tailwind although this was not always obvious on the course.

Running Boston has been a great experience and I would recommend it to anyone that has the opportunity to go. There's no guarantee on the weather but the experience itself will always be awesome!

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Great report SBD and a very well executed race! I am sorely tempted to do Boston next year but I think it will have to wait until 2021
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Loved reading that, SBD, so many memories flooding back. When I've shown people the course profile, they've said it must be great to run on what is a downhill trend, but that course can bite you, especially in dodgy weather. You did a brilliant job, great stuff, Sir, awesome running.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Stevie I hope to be there in 2021 too😏
    GDawg I’ll be going off at 7 min pace in London which served me well in Seville.
    Yes Gul 10k this weekend, nothing too serious but would be good to improve on my 38:00 2 weeks ago.
    SBD that’s a fabulous report, and your detailed preparations really paid off. We’ll done Sir.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    2021 will be the 125th edition so a great year to be there. 2020 for me, need to get there while I still have some motivation and legs.

Great report SBD, I'll try and remember your gameplan when it comes to it. What a great race and result.

Monday's run was a bit too much too soon, definitely should have taken it easier; more relaxed session tomorrow I think, and Cardiff parkrun Sat morning for a change of scenery.
  • VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭
    For me the hardest aspect of running the Boston Marathon is the weather. And not race day weather. But rather the four months of brutal winter LRs in snow, ice, low temps, and cutting wind leading up to the race. The tempo work is hard too because many days there is not enough traction to grip safely at speed. I have passed on going back twice now. But reliving some of race day here (and also watching the event on TV) certainly makes me say maybe I too should try again. SBD, my target marathon is the Baystate Marathon in Massachusetts (in Lowell, which is not far from Hopkinton). Small field. Flat. Usually decent weather (ie. not hot!) in mid-October. A decent result would qualify for 2021 Boston. 

Gul, you are similar to me. I haven't done a max test for a while, by mine is around 200. So for me, 160-162 is my 80% max range. My best marathons have come averaging this range. Usually early miles in 150s, then 160s late, and into 170s for final mile or two. Two of those were negative splits (about 1 minute and also a 2 minute). Judging by your numbers, I'd say you did right by not taking the lid off early, thus preserving glycogen for late. I bet the big difference was that you didn't bonk this time (do you think you bonked in the other races?). I ask because I think when your HR drops at the end of a marathon it means you gas tank is empty (ie no fuel to drive your HR high). This has happened a few times to one of my friends (massive drop in HR and struggling to finish). Your increased base might also have a big part in contributing to this. Last, it might be that you have finally fully assembled your aerobic engine. I think it takes 7 or more years of consistent training to maximize your aerobic potential. Regardless, take good notes for what worked this time!

I have slowly been building some long tempo runs into my week. I've been running about 200 miles a month since xmas. Most weeks have been in the low 50s with multiple MLR types (ie 12, 10, 7, off, 12, 10, off). With out races to train for I have had the pleasure of just running by feel for quite a while now. This heavy dose of MLRs is what seems to be my preference. Now trying to add a real LR (14-16 miles at this stage) and 1 or 2 long tempos (8-10 miles at 80% maxHR with 1 w/u and 2 c/d around the fast bit). Yesterday managed a good tempo (13 w/10 at around 7 m/m ave HR 158 ave) and had a nice easy 10M this morning in glorious spring sunshine (and warmth!). 

My wife appreciates the reduction in layers of running clothes in the wash that comes with spring;)
  • VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭
    SBD, great report. You ran a hell of a race. That course is definitely tricky. And glad the hills were less fearsome that you had suspected. I thought the same. But I wonder if we'd feel the same in a second attempt?

Also, you are correct about the weather. It was 75 and full sun when I set off in 2016. It was in this race that I learned to appreciate tackling a touch course and a tough day and coming through relatively unscathed (leaving nothing in the tank but not blowing up along the way!). 

I look forward to hearing from all the London runners soon!

And Poacher, my sincere sympathy on your injured knee. That stinks:'( 

Also, has anyone heard from SJ lately? Last I read, his hip had all but ended his running. 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    God report from SBD. Maybe a bit modest about the effort over the last 5m as Heartbreak is by no means the final test on a tricky course.  Really well toughed out.

Ditto Lorenzo, I did stalk your numbers and it looks like you had a bit of a painful finish. also well toughed out. Wellesley has to be the most hilarious, and politically incorrect, thing you will ever see on a marathon.

Boston is such a great experience, anyone who can get in should do it once.

Gul - lively pics - is the sub3 attempt pencilled in?

Welcome back VTR

GD - no car - get a bike. Simple.

I went for a very slow 2m jog/walk last night to test the knee. Looks like the jury is out. I also looked into deferring London and found a clause which I think is new....apart from trying to to cut down on GFA places (for men anyway) they have decided that you can only defer a GFA place if the qualifying time was set in the previous year. As mine is from 2017 it seems I cannot defer, despite being injured. So, LM organisers, thanks a bunch, but you are dead to me.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

SBD- Great report and well executed run/plan

Stevie, are you not doing Wythall 10k? Pitchcroft is last sunday in May, that being a racecourse, it is pan flat.

Poacher, yes I noted that rule when things changed. Essentially not allowing a GFA entry to get in after 3 years. My mate was about to be caught out by that as has barely been able to run this year due to an ankle injury and said he planned to defer it. I think after I pointed out the issue he is now just going to run it for the experience as he hasn't done so before.

Some nice finish shots. I suppose if the camera also got the finish line clock in it would only have your back?

I've ticked over this week with a decent session of reduced volume to normal on Tuesday and an 8 mile mlr last night then a sports massage. A full rest day today which is unusual. 

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

DT - I am away the last weekend of May otherwise I would be doing the Birmingham 10k, bit annoying as I was looking forward to that one! Not sure about the Wythall 10k as it will be 3 days after the track 10k, will see how I feel closer to the time.

Poacher - What will you do re London then? They do seem to be moving against GFA runners. You have reminded me I need to defer my Ride London place!

6m with the club last night at a steady 7.30s ish. Probably a but quicker than ideal but enjoyed running with the group and felt comfortable

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    They want more newbies who will spend on stuff that sponsors and advertisers want to push.  And more money from charity places. And more money bequeathed by unsuccessful ballot applicants.   What they don't want is wizened old (male) gits who are still wearing socks they found in a goody bag 15 yrs ago.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    DT19 said:

Some nice finish shots. I suppose if the camera also got the finish line clock in it would only have your back?

They have a clock on both sides (same as London though they cover that up for some reason after the champs finish).

With some prolific photoshop skills, I managed to remove the picture-in-picture interview from the finish line video and kind of get the shot I wanted; though it's a bit blurry; it'll do.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Ah right, that's a decent enough shot, Nicko.

That chap in the red and white stripes looks like a well built lad to be running that fast, unless it's just a deceptive picture.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Huge congrats to SBD! I enjoyed following your splits but you did make me nervous at the end. Phew! A fantastic performance and report.

Sorry it wasn’t perfect for you Lorenzo, you did well and most importantly you enjoyed the experience.

You have both made me want to run Boston even more now.

Great to read VTrunner is back.

Nice photo Gul.

I’m sad to report that my back problem has worsened again. I was kidding myself in the 10k. I managed it ok on painkillers, but suffered badly the following day. I’m limping again and every step when I walk hurts. My Doc has referred me for a MRI but it could be months before I’m seen. I’ll think I’ll pay and go private. I'm not a happy bunny. :(

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Hang in there Badbark, maybe you can join us in Boston 2021.
    9 for me today after a rest day yesterday- resting, apart from walking up Helvellyn that is. It was a glorious day in the Lakes and wish I could have stayed longer. 
    Wishing you all the best for Easter. And for those doing London, easy on the chocolate eggs ;)
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

Not lot long to go before London - hope the weather starts to cool down during the week.

Good hill work OO!

Don't give up Badbark.  Hopefully the MRI scan will give you some answers.  You'll enjoy Boston.

Nice picture nicko - this could be the start of a new commercial venture!

That's a blow on the London GFA deferral Poacher.  It might be worth contacting them to see if they have some informal flexibility?!

A good steady week DT.   Keep faith in the taper.

The hills would definitely feel tougher a second time VT!

Managed to get caught by the official photographers at Boston a few time.  This is just at the bottom of Heartbreak Hill.