Comrades 2019

Comments

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Gay Ellis at about mile 22...

I am looking so happy because a box of jelly babies and jaffa cakes is being offered out! It was a very blustery day, my hair is a mess!

• SS: I just spotted you in the background of one of Sharon Daw's selfies!!! She's doing her 100th marathon in 52 weeks today...
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Great costume lowrez and I hope that there will be some UFO fans in the crowds at London to recognise your uncanny resemblance to Gabrielle Drake.
  • mordomordo ✭✭✭
    NICE COSTUME 👍🏿🤜🏾👊🏿
  • lowrez: those photos are great - where did you find them?
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Well, Boston (USA) was great. A fantastic experience by any measure - just loved it.  Ran 4:35 by taking it nice and easy.   London in just under 2 weeks...
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Good to hear all went well Dannirr, any pictures? What does the medal look like? Looking forward to seeing you in that there London.

Debra, go to the Facebook page for the marathon and page down through the posts there are multiple sets of photos linked to, I forget which one had these of mine.

SS thanks for confirming the arrival of Snail Mail :) very good of you to help. Come on The Snail! You are half way there; it's all down hill from here, just like Boston USA :)
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    You look remarkably composed Lowrez.  Great distinctive outfit, and quite short!  But maybe you are a short-shorts type of guy.  A point of order though, you didn't wax?!

Keep going well the 10 in 10.
  • Hi lowrez: thanks. Very time-consuming trying to find the sets and look at them - found several more of you, but so far only one of me!
    Irritatingly I discovered on Sunday that they put up the lost property as a FB gallery - never occured to me they would have a FB page or to look there - and I lost my lovely Nedbank Comrades hat from 2016 there and could have claimed it. I have two hats still, but they are both the red Toyota ones.
    Danirr, glad you enjoyed Boston (USA)! Might see you at London - I'm volunteering at about the 25-mile mark. Had hoped to be on the course but it seems more likely I'm going to be put on the Hungerford Bridge stairs - we have to keep people moving so that people wanting to use the bridge to get over the river can do so, and I was told yesterday that as someone with a 'strong personality' (or to put it another way, a parkrun Run Director's voice) I'll probably be put doing that. At least the volunteers kit this year is a colour I like (teal) so I should get good use out of both the shirt and jacket afterwards (AND another hat, but it's white and just says New Balance, so a bit boring!)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Debra, sorry I disappeared without a proper goodbye, typical bloke, I knew to recover properly I needed to go stretch so that was at the forefront of my mind. I have recovered remarkably well, must be doing something right with these relatively good times (for me) also. You can also purchase some photos from the official photographer here, but I'm not sure my set contain anything better than the free amateur ones, also discovered a summary with some further links to enable yet here.

I too find it irritating that Facebook is used ahead of official websites to push out material, but I think the reality is that its so easy to do and so many people are consuming that feed in comparison to the official websites that may need "developers" to add content that the way of the world is going to be like this from here on in.

I absolutely love how Boston have an open approach to the photography and have encouraged amateurs to post freely, other marathons purposefully exclude that content.

Thinking I may need to carry a mirror and comb if I want perfect pictures, that box with the shadow of a woman on it on my utility belt, in the TV show, is in fact a fully working compact with slide-up mirror, tiny brushes that detach at the bottom and makeup palette inside, my version is just a stock cube box with a silver label stuck on with the shadow design  made in Microsoft Paint and printed on; I am seriously thinking of sticking a mirror and comb in it so I can stop on The Mall and fix my hair for some fine finish photos as I come in under the gantry!

Mac3 the idea is I am just a "stupid bloke in a dress" - I am not into this full transformation malarkey - but good luck to those who are :) I think Gay wore tights, which I have been known to stretch to at times, but more for over-the-topness polka dot extravagance rather than perfectly emulating my desired target :D. But hark at me above and the plans to keep my hair in order! Maybe I have stepped too far over this line :D Thanks too Mordo and Becca :D

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Blimey the above post was hard work! It originally worked but I noticed a typo so edited it to fix it and it did that thing when I hit update where the whole post evaporates like nothing ever happened? But I wasn't going to let it get away with it this time; I hit undo about 20 times and ultimately the post content re-appeared, it would not let me re-post it though, so I logged off, switched browsers, logged back on again and ultimately it worked - ha! Don't know how many notifications everyone got as a result of my antics.

Go the 10 in 10ers!
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Medal lowrez? Well, if you insist......

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Wow Dannirr, what a superb picture - just look at those two amazing medals - awesome :) Thanks for sharing :) Well done!
  • Hey, Danirr, congrats on both of those! Awesome!
  • Dannirr... thats amazing medal

• HI all.. managed Llanelli on Sunday in the wind.. good job I qualified last October as I managed a few seconds over 5 hours.. I also haven't had time to fundraise with everything going on here so I just chucked the cash over to the charity myself so I have got my CC pen. Hopefully get a job soon to pay off my card :)

Isn't long now and I'm going to struggle big time.

If anyone has a supporter going and wants to support on route, My hubby is driving the course on the day and is crap at navigating, so if anyone wants to join him give me a shout
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    lowrez - great costume as ever

dannir - fantastic achievement. Nice medals.

SS and TCP - Hope you are both doing well and enjoying the lovely Thames towpath. Looking forward to saying hi on saturday and visiting the tuck shop a few times!!!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

More pics published Debra :)

• Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Nice Boston pics. That was clearly a 'go faster' outfit Lowrez - your times are ever improving, well done!
  • Dannirr wow those medals look fantastic, a great achievment, well done.

SS and TCP hope that 101 in 10 is going well and you are now into the swing of things.

Lowrez that is a fantastic outfit.

Good luck to everyone over the Easter weekend, I have just got long back to back runs planned.

Happy Easter.
  • Debra - Worked out who Sharon Daws was. She did the first 4 days. Well done her. Lucy says hello.

Dannirr - well done in Boston and on getting your marathon majors medal

Seren - well done on Llanelli

Marty - you'll have plenty of opportunity to visit the tuck shop tomorrow. 8 times in fact :) But the best time is the last one when you get to ring the bell too :)
    TCP going well. I've seen him about 16 times each day ;)

Great photos from Boston

Kitebeast - hope thats a typo. Definitely not doing 101 in 10!!!

10 in 10 going ok. It's definitely hard and the weather is getting hotter and hotter. Today's direction has very little cover. My right knee has been playing up since Monday and I'm doing all I can but the way I see it is that it will start to get better from next Tuesday!! TCP looking strong and very steady out there. It's got to the stage where I'm bargaining with myself as to when I can walk although to be fair my running pace isn't much quicker than walk. Roll on Monday afternoon.
  • well done SS
    . this hot weather is going to make it tough...
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Great reporting SS - you've got this, only 993 to go :D

Good to hear your motors are up and running Seren!

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    SS and TCP - well done. Looking forward to catching up tomorrow. Stay strong mentally and together with the weather its great preparation. 
  • Snail, great to hear from you! You've got this - and the weather getting warmer is excellent conditioning for Comrades. And the medals are wonderful - they were a tempation for me... Hi back to Lucy.
    Lowrez, glad those pics are up. I must go through them and see if I spot any of me running...
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    SS and TCP - see you both in the morning. I shall be wearing my club vest (red, black, white) which has comrades patches on the back and also my comrades visor. Should be fairly easy to spot i should think.....you are both doing amazing.
  • Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    Lowrez - surprisingly fetching - it really works!
    Dannirr - congrats on the full house!
    Debra I think I dropped one of my Comrades drawstring bags on the way to work last week:/ 
    I know it's just "stuff" but I feel your pain.
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    TCP and SS - Great to have a bit of a chat with you both today. Well done, you were both looking great. 2 more left to complete the set. See you in Durbs TCP!!!
  • jkissanejkissane ✭✭✭
    Lowrez that's some outfit, I was wondering about the boots for a while but guessing they're just covering normal runners?

Congratulations on the six star medal Dannirr! 

SS I'm in awe of you doing a 10 in 10!

Had a nice hilly training marathon run myself yesterday, certainly felt the effects of the Ultra from 6 days previous but I ran it totally to a consistent effort using a Styrd power meter on my shoe, had no idea of the time 'til I finished in 3:38. Means I slowed down (a lot on) up-hills and also it forced me to be honest & speed up on the way down. 

https://www.relive.cc/view/g33295934059

One more ultra/marathon combo to go in May before Comrades with a 72k trail ultra in Germany (Rennsteiglauf) and a hilly road/trail marathon then back in Ireland (Burren Marathon) the following weekend, hopefully I'll make it!

• Fido2Dogs: sympathies for the loss of you Comrades bag - it's frustrating, isn't it?
    Snail, TCP: nearly done! You are both awesome.
    jkissane: sounds like you're getting in some great running. I'm enjoying getting back to the trails now I can breath properly. I'm not going to be where I wanetd to be for the SDW Devil's Challenge or NDW50, but maybe in time for Lakeland 50 and Ridgeway 86. I've added a couple of extra ultras into my schedule, both with Centurion: Wendover Woods NIGHT 50K, two weeks before LL50, and Wendover Woods 50 (miles) in November, since I'm not planning a 10-in-10 this year.