Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Muddy - they wouldn't let me have "Stevie G from RW fame" on there unfortunately.

In fairness I didn't even notice the name until taking the number off later!

You sound like you're in a decent place, despite the little upset. Almost breaking 17 in marathon training is really strong. Sounds quite a hard effort this close to the big one if anything?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

Oh yeah, almost forgot to post this glorious pic of one of the best known characters on the scene....and Theresa May ;)

• Stevie, P&D have a 3x1mile vo2max sesh in this week, so I didn’t think a 5k was unreasonable. I know a sub 2.40 marathoner that does an all out parkrun the day before the marathon ! 

The parkrun fairies were incredibly generous and moved me up a place to 7th for 16.57, but I’m pretty sure I was 17.00 the next one down. Certainly there was no one on my shoulder at the finish and the next guy was 17.18. So definitely a PB on a slower course than my old PB course. Good signs. Just got to avoid getting destroyed by the marathon now and keep lively through the summer.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds a pretty lively parkrun for top 8 at 1700 and down!
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:

Oh yeah, almost forgot to post this glorious pic of one of the best known characters on the scene....and Theresa May ;)

Surely that's a gimme for any self-respecting assassin? May I mean, not you SG. Hi-vis bib and all dat.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

Luckily, it's England and not USA! Could you imagine how much security a President would have? We had a work away day to the company Innocent once, and they had photos of when Bill Clinton went there once (for some reason!). He had about 3-4 seriously sinister looking guards within metres, and they'll have had more outside for certain!

I didn't notice the car at the time, but they obviously have her there for ease of zooming away given any reason, with rozzers down the road scouting out any potential trouble makers. I wonder if there were some plain clothed types in and around too.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    She's done it for many years apparently. I actually feel a bit sorry for May sometimes. Then I remember Windrush.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cracking parkrun by the way muddy :smile:
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Brilliant parkrun there Muddy and augurs well for VLM. What's your target there?

Not too bad Bus to stay in the same ball park as your three recent ones given your week's non-running exertions.

Got what I deserved today for trying parkrun the day after a hard 10 mile race, which itself followed a hard 10k last Sunday and parkrun the day before that. 19'40 was the result and only 10th. Not sure how off the pace that is, as it is a fairly recently started one at the exotically named California country park in the less than exotic location just outside Bracknell. Was quite a tough course and times there don't seem great so maybe not too bad, but definitely felt sluggish this morning. Looking forward to a day or two off running now. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    You’ve had some cracking results recently Pete & 19:40 on a tough course the day after an all in 10M is still a good result IMO
    Another typically understated performance from Muddy there. 
    I beat you Bus B) 19:45, which is my quickest for several weeks :s followed by a 5.5M fell race with almost 3000’ of climb. Swore I was going to take things easy for a couple of weeks post marathon but then mate suggested this double & I couldn’t resist  :D

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jools and well done to you coming back so strongly after last week. That off roader looks great in the sunshine but couldn't have been easy. So you, me and Bus all within 6 seconds at our various parkruns!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good work Jools - cracking double, especially so soon after the marathon! Even though you clearly recover well, I bet that climb still hurt! Is that Pen y Fan? Looked a great day (if a little warm!). Why were you wearing your swimmers though :wink:

You're also mad Pete - still faster than me at parkrun even the day after a fast ten mile race :smiley:

LSR today, and early start would have been sensible given the warm temperatures. Trouble is, the Mrs and I went out for dinner at a MASSIVELY expensive restaurant last night and the shock of the bill made me very tired and in need of a lie in :smile:  Seriously though, my back is still really sore and stiff, so didn't sleep well and couldn't get up early enough to head out without breakfast, so looks like a mid-day job!  I'm not sure how well the back will hold up - I'm hoping an easy run wll help, but who knows?  Might end up hobbling back home after a mile!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Good spot Bus. The race starts & finishes at Cwm Gwdi. Climb the ridge towards Pen-y-Fan then drop off the side about 690m up. Off piste through the bilberry, over stream then up the steep side to the Cribyn ridge, summit Cribyn, down to the Gap, up Jacob’s Ladder to summit Pen-y-Fan before dropping back down the ridge. I went into the race with no great expectations & thoroughly enjoyed it. I set off steadily & picked people off on the ascents before losing places on the descents through poorer route choice & caution. The piriformis/glute/hip was painful when I attempted to open out on that final descent so I had to jog it in, which was enough to maintain position: 18th of 46. Legs are surprisingly ok today but probably won’t run. Visiting non running friends in Dorset so beach is on the cards as it’s Scorchio already.
    Good luck with the LSR in this.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That is one heck of a view in that first snap jools!
    Sounds an interesting experience, and these sort of races show there's a world of running and races out there and its not just about pbs and smashing flat road stuff.

13 today. Took a water bottle in caution. Thought it was a mistake first 4-5m in a bit of shade and breeze but was glad to sip on it throughout.
    Surprisingly 7.00 dead pace for an up and down variation of what i did for 14s a few week back. Two days after the raced ten with a bit of quad doms so a pleasant pace surprise without any level of pushing.

Think that race was just the little confidence booster needed. 

Need to find a way to do one of those rose inn 4milers and also turnout at gosport 5k. Difficulty is that both have the same dates throughout their series.
    Next one is two days after marlow 5, but we also have a 5k series race the tuesday too...all a bit congested for options..

Wouldn't even need to do the 4 flat out to register a pb....it could just be a b race job.

Plenty to map out. Vague feelings of fancying a faster 10 and putting in a similar pace to friday for a half..but probably too risky to attempt now we're almost into summer fun. Will probably have to hold until the autumn.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Yep, that was warm! Nice pacey 13 SG.
    Slow too! But done and dusted, and 15 makes just over 50 for the week. Bac was fine while running, but hurting again now.

If I'm reading it right Jools, it sounds the same/ similar route as the Pen y Fan race that's done as part of the Pen y Fan/Fan y Big double in July?

Right, now for a lie down.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Good racing, training all round.

My pattern of training has been postponed for a few days due to AW being back in town. Past three days have been 10 miles, speed session and 12 miles.

Prior to the speed session, I was confident I could cope with anything the lady could chuck at me.
    Not a chance. After about 5 minutes of the session (40 secs run, 20 rec) starting, I was being dropped. Ten minutes in, I was trailing in a couple of seconds down. By 20 minutes it was 3 or 4 seconds. 

I/we took a short break. She did 10 more (faster) while I did every other pair ( about the same speed). As a finale she cracked number 30 off in 31 seconds! while I took 38! uggh! 

I recovered soon enough, so good. 

I mentioned to her about doing a parkrun, but she reckoned she was no where near fit enough, " I'm not sure if I could get much under 18 minutes right now!"  (Age grade that. Women age 47, 18 minute 5km).

One more day to survive tomorrow.

🙂

• bus and I are slowly converging at parkrun, the last 3 have gone

21:28 19:27
    20:50 19:33
    20:39 19:47

so from being over 2 minutes behind, I am now just 52 seconds. Reckon 2 or 3 more and I'll be ahead ;-)

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Aonther couple of excellent times there Muddy.

Fell race looks fun Jools. I am down in Portland, Weymouth on my Sister's boat just loving the sunshine. Day 1 meant no running but I managed to get out this morning and run the coastal path around the island, taking in the lighthouse about 5 miles in. Found some pretty steep bits and some stunning views. 11 miles all in but probably felt like 14-15. Chilling on the yacht now, almost beer o'clock ;)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil - you just need Bus to do an even sillier set of things just before the next one, and you'll be right :)

Not sure if this'll work, but this was the start at Maidenhead 10.

If ever you wondered why it's not wise to dramatically change direction with no warning, the geezer in yellow shows it magnificently

https://www.facebook.com/ChrisSutton14/videos/10157315475971057/UzpfSTc4NzI0NTQ4MzpWSzoxMDE1NzE2NTU0NzE2ODQ5MQ/

Spotters badge for picking out our lanky thread "Hero", well down in at best 60-70th after 200metres...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Found a great pic (for once). Kit looks crisp, looking fairly swish (by my standards).

Must have been early on ;)

Looking at the 4 of us here - 2 strategies at play.

Myself and chap in yellow obviously kept pace fairly even - him about 20secs of me.

The other 2 chaps ending 2 and 3mins behind, so out hard.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Looking right 'andsome Mr G :smiley:

That bloke in red behind Mr yellow in the vid had some beef with him - I'd swear he pushed him to the ground!

Philip - I shall be doing my best to ensure that the convergence of times take a wee bit longer yet - you will no doubt be going sub 20 before long, but I'll be doing everything in my power to make sure I'm not going the other way at the same rate :smile:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

He certainly could have done a little more to avoid him!

But you have to be a bit more aware than Mr Yellow there!

Club champs race at Shinfield on a May Bank hold, but it's not PO10! What is it with Shinfield? It's been on there many times in the past, often short, but now, despite mentioning you have to be a "UKA team" to score, they haven't bothered to sign up to UKA licensing. Strange.

Want to rack up as many different rows as poss on the PO10 account this year so it wouldn't help.

Have a 1m and 10m. Will deffo get 5k and 5m on there, but hopefully "parkrun", 4m, 7m and a couple of others.

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Bus similar to Pen-y-Fan race but next valley over. The only course overlap is the drop off PF summit. Will you be doing the Fans w/e this year? Guessing you did it in 2016 in which case we’re 1 all.
    Ric sounds like you got beasted. 90% WAVA for 18:00
    Nice LR SG.
    Nowt for me today.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Ah, with you now Jools! Yeah, 2016. Didn't know we'd raced!  I had a great climb to the top of Pen y Fan (3rd atp) but then added best part of half a mile onto my already shite and cowardly descending by taking the wrong line in the mist!!! Found the Fan y Big race the next day REALLY hard work (no powers of recovery me!) but you beat me by a country mile! No plans for this year, but could be persuaded perhaps :smile:
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I’m planning to do both again Bus. I’ve done both every year since 2013 except last year when I only did Pen-y-Fan. They’ve switched the order since 2017 so the longer run is on Saturday - doesn’t suit me at all as I always do parkrun beforehand too. Had a shocker that year. Last year I did parkrun & some track stuff on the Saturday: 800, 1500, 2000sc, 5000 and possibly a relay leg too :D
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    That race where the guy went over. Why wasn't everyone going the same way?

🙂

• SG, chap in yellow in the photo, 818, is Ross https://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=136893

Used to be Datchet but moved houses so now Finch. Had a few years of decent running but suddenly found some decent form recently and gone from 3.2x marathons to a tidy 2:55. Most likely kids growing up so a bit more time.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    It was Maidenhead 10 from a few days ago Ric; it's always like that as there is a monument/statue in the middle of the mini roundabout just after the start and you can go either way round. Best is to start on the inside and go round on inside but lots don't appreciate that. Some start middle or wide then try to go inside route cutting across and then the problems occur. 

IMO the srart is dim as they could easily adjust the course to have an extra bit in the business park then avoid that chaotic start. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep. We're trying to get him in for endure24!

On paper i should beat him but i suspect he's on for an excellent marathon, presumably at london.
    If friday was a constrained mp effort he's in great nick.
    A month or so back Chris bradfield offered me to join their 10mile training run round dorney lake at 6dead pace! I turned it down as too rich for me and they may have been slightly over in the end, but that and Friday alone suggest he's well up on previous ability!

He looked very smooth just up the road, quite a contrast with the many people i coasted past...
    Probably could have pushed up with him but steady does it as confidence needs building.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    RicF said:
    That race where the guy went over. Why wasn't everyone going the same way?

There's a roundabout in the middle of the way about 400m in.

A few front runners decided going the wrong way round it was a good choice..for the yellow guy a poor decision!!

In mid to latter pack it was fair enough splitting but front runners going right seemed odd.