Makes us harder, better, faster, stronger

Race well, Hazel and fellow parkrunners

Have a great day all B)

Comments

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Morning!

Was tempted to go with LMH's thread as I knew those lyrics...

What: a gentle parkrun

Why: I ache

Race well Hazel and Poppy, and anyone else pinning a number on. Enjoy parkrun, those involved.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Morning! 

Have great races Poppy and Hazel. And good running all round. 

Still on my rest, but twitching to get back out next week. Going to be getting new runners as the pair I did Brighton in are definitely due to retire. 

Lyrics....for once I know both 😜
  • Options
    Kirkwall 1st birthday parkrun
    There might be cake!
    All fairly hard and slow going but improving. Optimistically entered Kirkwall 10k in 8 days time
    Last rest: Wednesday
    Lyrics no

Race well Poppy and Hazel
  • Options
    Hmm,  this wasn't showing when I posted my thread start (obviously) or I'd have saved the lyrics and hoped they were appropriate for tomorrow too.

You forgot to tell us what you're up to chicksta.

Race well Poppy and Hazel - anyone else?

How is your back coping with the running OH? Cake is good!

No harm in going for a little run if you fancy it Daisy - it's nice to run somewhere different.

Original post:

My run was pretty dire yesterday Alehouse, no gardening to blame here though I did come home and retire my shoes as I'm pretty sure they didn't help. Even buying them in the sale they're not cheap so I have a bad tendency to keep them going a bit too long and I've been suspicious of that pair for a while. I'm hoping today's run will be more confidence giving.

What:           short and easy/gym
    Why:            taper/haven't been this week
    Last hard:    letting go of the in law stress - heart in mouth when my mobile rang yesterday
    Last rest:      27/1

Updated: just back from Grace's walk and it's going to be the gym first as Mark needs to go to the building society. It's an absolutely beautiful day but I am wondering whether to take a rest day as I have MiL and BiL coming for lunch tomorrow so cheesecake to bake etc and it wouldn't be a bad thing to break the streak. Not sure I'll be able to resist going out in this lovely weather though!
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again!

What: a different parkrun. I find this one quite tricky! Basically around a km on the flat then up a short hill, then back along the same k and up another short hill, then repeat plus a bit to the start and finish. I find the hills tough at the best of times, not least the downhill jarring my back, plus today my legs were tired from gardening, plus a reasonable week's training. Chose this one because I had arranged to meet the guy that I bumped into the other day that I used to coach and got into teaching. He struggled a bit today but we had a good chat afterwards. And as mentioned above, nice to run somewhere a bit different: not done this course for over three years.
    24:12 for me, and rather meaninglessly first in the age group. Looking at my watch on the way round I thought I was going to be just under 24 but must have miscalculated and if I had realised I would have moved up a gear. 

LMH: no need to run today...or indeed this week apart from a gentle turnover of the legs perhaps. No training affects to be gained now: all in the bank, and in terms of miles a lot seems to have been deposited! 

Hope you enjoyed your parkrun, OH!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    LMH: I thought I'd implied my intention by writing "fellow parkrunners" ;)
    Good job retiring those shoes. I'm keeping mine going for too long as well. Maybe a little runnette to enjoy the lovely weather?

Well done,  Ale

Sounds promising,  OH

22:26 parkrun. Was late and had to leg it to the start. Got there just as they all tore off and had to work my way through the field. Forgot to start my Garmin 🤦🏻‍♀
    Was nice to reel in lots of people for 3rd woman. The 2 in front were 20 and 25 😆. Bit of extra to give me just short of 9 miles for the day.
    BBQ and Easter bonfire with friends later.
    Love a bit of a pagan ritual :)
  • Options
    I guess parkrun didn't register chicksta. Easter bonfire? That's a new one on me.

Great that you had that extra gear there Alehouse even if you didn't use it.

As I said in a change from our usual routine we went to the gym this morning and either I'm suddenly much stringer or boy does it make a difference doing it before a run rather than after. Far too nice a day to waste so I went out for my planned run and was rewarded with one if not the fastest run outside of a race this year. Could have been the better night's sleep (finally) the new shoes or the heat - whichever I hope it persists. Experimental salted caramel cheesecake baked which is just as well as we've been summoned to MiL's this afternoon - I was hoping for a day off but hey ho.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    German tradition. It's a pagan thing but these days used by most to burn all the stuff from spring cleaning their gardens.

Sounds like a great day so far, LMH.

• Options
    26:31 parkrun followed by 6.25 "warm down" over local hill (unplanned). Back no worse although does stiffen up immediately after stopping running.

Exploding giant snowman in Zürich at this time of year. Strange customs.
  • Options
    An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    That link didn't work but one below does ...
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Don - sounds good
    Well done all the parkrunners
    OH - strange!

What - 'light' track session: 2x5x200s off 45s, 3min between each
    39/39/41/39/40 then 39/38/41/41/40 quite pleased on the basis of a marathon 6 days ago
    Why - turning legs
    last rest - a week
    last hard - today
    lyric - hmm, possibly

Need to replace the car in the next 3-6 months so popped out today to look at a couple of garages (I don't "do" cars). Several ideas but got a bit bored talking alloy trims and walnut upholstery so came home and sat in the garden...

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    two very contrasting days of running.....

Yesterday at Westonbirt Easter 10 was dismal..... after a good warm up and getting ready and on the start line, only to then find out a runner had collapsed in the half (that went off 2 hours earlier, cue air ambulance and the race delayed by 45 mis to 1245.... as we nicely roasted in the sun... the first 5k of the race went to plan (ish) with a fast start in 7:15 and on target, followed by the rest of the race getting progressively worse, with a 7:23 and a 7:35 to reach half way in 23:24 which I was content with... but then the heat and legs just got too much, and I whimpered to an 8:05, 8:19 and a 9:51 for the next 3m finishing in 50:57 and feeling awful..... Mrs RFJ bailed at 5k .... so not a good day for either of us...

Then as we were down south went to Killerton parkrun.... and had a total reversal of yesterday, started easy with a 7:42, then went with a 7:20 and a 7:08 for a nice 22:57...... with no issues.....

Beaconsfield 5m XC on Monday could therefore be interesting

Take care
  • Options
    Just a quick post as Wi-Fi is limited.first 5k in 15 years, first race in 2 years.
    I had a great run if you can call the can't breath,asthma tricky .I faded in last km but I don't train or do speed work. I finished to my surprise first lady in the 50 -55category especially as I am 55 this year😁😁
    It was very hot 
    But I could see start from bedroom window😁😁 I will be back  next year🌝
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    PS the half marathoner was conscious and responding when taken to hospital, which was good to hear
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Great running, WP! Saw your result earlier! Impressed! What's the plan now? May be worth revisiting parkrun.
  • Options
    Nice to have a mara to plan for Donaldo.

Enjoy shoe shopping Daisy.

Hmm cheesecake LMH! Know the feeling with the shoes, once I've spent the money I want to get something out of them.  Good news on your run today.

Well done to the parkrunners. Did you get cake OH?

The exploding snowman (Böög) predicts how good summer will be, the shorter the time it takes until his head explodes the better the weather is supposed to be. 

Constant reps Dustin.  Hmm cars need four wheels to run along the road, seats, a steering wheel, a gear stick and maybe brakes? Everything on top is boring I agree.

Sorry your 10 didn't go as well as hoped RFJ, good the parkrun went better. Good news on the collapsed runner.

Great result WP well done.  

I also won my age category today in 1:16:21 (10m).  18 F40s and was 9th of 87 overall ladies.  I was hoping to PB (1:15:11 on a much hillier route) but I set off far too fast due to being one of the first 10 or so (got over excited) and wilted badly in the heat and wind.  The first water station had been dropped for whatever reason and I overheated as the first loop of 6 km was all in the sun.  The men set off 10 mins after the ladies and it was hard after a few miles to be struggling and watch them zoom past. 

Really need to sort out my pacing in races.    I can do it in maras but not so well in shorter races.