Comrades 2019

Comments

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Come on Southern Snail and TCP :p looking forward to that finish photo - if only 1% of the world run a marathon then you must be in the 0.0000000000000001% club that do 10 in10 :)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

You got it JK they are just silver material covers with mega strong elastic holding them down over the running shoes front and back.

Is that actually your run trace on relive? That's an amazing feature, can any run be spun through that?

You are doing some great running and have some great events coming up :)

Marty - well done on yet another marathon - you look like you are in amazing form :)

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    A person with initials JW has requested to join our strava group - is that actually one of us or a stranger?
  • Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Snail: look at you! Fantastic work there and those medals look great. Congratulations!!!
    Managed to cover Caterham to Knockholt Pound yesterday and Farnham to Dorking today. Might need to take a half day off to manage Dorking to Caterham before NDW50. Or might not manage to recce that bit. Quite hot, but thankfully much of the route (particularly today) through woodland, so only a bit of exposure to full sun. Hard going today, despite it being the mostly-flat section - tired legs from yesterday and still a lot of fitness to regain.
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Hurrah, well done Snail, that's wonderful.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Just amazing SS. How can you hold up all that metal after running all that way? That 10 in 10 one is a beast. Well done :)
  • That was hard work. I have no idea where I found the strength to keep running. I think that was the difficult part, knowing that you had to get up and do it all over again day after day. My knee was seriously hurting by the last day. I'd had to walk from mile 8 on day 7
     but I think I gradually learnt to run with the pain and the last lap was so joyous that I even managed a sprint finish with all my family after saying "I thought your knee hurt!"  :):) Amazing what you can do when there's no more to do.

Had loads of chats with TCP. He was looking strong throughout.

Caught up (well not literally :)) with Marty who was also looking good. He was working to heart rate and all seemed well

Jkissane - sounds like the trainings going well 

Debra - I have no idea how you put so many miles in. Remind me which is your main race, if any, this year. I know you have one the day before Comrades.
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    SS, lovely pics and an amazing haul of medals.  Huge congratulations on that awesome feat of endurance!  Well earned time for lots of R&R.  
  • Snail: it's clear you've found inner strength you didn't know you had - which is great.

My main races during the rest of this year are:
    • South Downs Way Devil's Challenge (32,35,30 miles over 3 days) - I'm using this as a way to recce the SDW, but it's going to be tough in its own right 4-6 May
    • NDW 50 - 18 May (having to revise my time expectations after all my lost training)
    • SDW 100 - 8-9 June
    • (Wendover Woods NIGHT 50K, 12-13 July - not a main race but should be interesting!)
    • Lakeland 50 - 27-28 July
    • Ridgeway 86 - 24-25 August
    • Wendover Woods 50 - 16 November

And surely having met some of the others doing the 10-in-10 you know that I run many fewer races than some of them do - although the ones doing 52 marathons in 52 weeks, 100 marathons in 100 weeks, 100 in 52 weeks etc don't tend to also go for the 50-mile and longer events.
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    SSnail - wow! Fantastic achievement! Congratulations.
  • jkissanejkissane ✭✭✭
    1owrez said:

You got it JK they are just silver material covers with mega strong elastic holding them down over the running shoes front and back.

Is that actually your run trace on relive? That's an amazing feature, can any run be spun through that?

That's it exactly, that app (relive) lives on my tablet & is hooked into my Garmin account so offers to create one of those little videos for every activity I do. 99% of them I ignore but for longer stuff I let it do its thing. You can pay them money for some extra features (music etc) but I just use the freebie version.

Congratulations SS, you've got more marathon medals there from one event than most people I know!
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Good running All and some great results coming in.

Sorry to hear of your DNF Mordo.  Sensible decision and I trust you can get it recovered.

Great work Snail - truly amazing

Other good results noted

I'm still a very long way from Marathon fit, and a huge gap to Comrades fitness.  I've been starting to push the distance, but can't get much over 25km without exhaustion and walking.  I'll 'try' a marathon this weekend in optimism more than expectation of seeding improvement.  It's still a long way to get to the start line for me, but I sincerely hope to see you all fit and healthy in Durban on Comrades weekend.

• TCPTCP ✭✭✭
    Hi all and well done SS.  Great to meet you and share the pain!

That was seriously hard.  SS is right, the repetative nature of having it do it day after day took all my mental energy.  But like anything, the harder the event, the better the feeling at the end. 
  • Hi TCP: well done you! But where are the photos??? Seriously, it -is- hard to do a 10-in-10, but yes, great feeling of satisfaction and achievement at the end. Bonus: when you come to do something else hard, you can tell yourself "I finished the 10-in-10 - I can do this!"
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Well done Snail!!!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    TCP - great stuff - indeed we need celebratory pictures with bling :)
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Well done TCP, that's quite some achievement.  I was thinking of you all on Sunday as I imagine that the towpath got quite busy during the weekend sunshine.

Nice race list - for you - Debra.  Some of it fills me with terror though and I don't think I would have any kneecaps left if I was to attempt Wendover Wooks night 50k, as I have enough trouble staying on my feet in daylight.

Good luck for your marathon Bike It.  I hope you can make some good progress in the weeks to come.
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    TCP and SS complete respect, an incredible achievement and great photos SS.  

Just been plodding away here getting the miles in, and counting down the training days until I can start tapering :)
  • mordomordo ✭✭✭
    Thanks Bike it
    i seem to have a trapped nerve with a life of it's own and appears out of the blue to sent me from running to hobbling - did 20 miles during the week and 8 miles on Saturday then 2hrs35 into my 3 hour run on Sunday got a sharp pain and had to stop instantly but felt better Monday and did a slow 9 as well as a speed session on Tuesday with total of 6 miles both with zero discomfort 
    I think frustration is the biggest enemy right now and I am doing a lot of strengthening work as well as stretching
    touch wood I can still make comrades
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Hi All,  in keeping with recent tradition, we've had a Comrades Forum get together on the Friday evening before the race.  For this year, I've made a reservation  on 7th June for 18:30 at the Lingela Restaurant, Tsogo Sun Hotel in Snell Parade.  This hotel is quite central for most of those staying in Durban. The restaurant is a buffet style with a fixed price of ZAR 325 (c.18 pds) for as much as you'd like to eat.  There is a wide range of salad/meat/vegetarian dishes, even curry and impressive desserts etc.  Drinks are not included but I expect most of us will be off the juice.   We've had a problem with slow service in the past with our large group at other local restaurants, so the buffet style should hopefully overcome that.  The restaurant has asked for a deposit during May and I will arrange that towards the end of May once we have numbers firmed up.

All our welcome; runners, partners and friends.  Last year we had 20+.  I have started a list below.  Please add your names to the list and re-post.  Hope to see as many of you as possible!

Lingela, Friday 7th June @ 18:30

Mac3 + 1
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for setting this up Mac and it's a good idea to go for this to try and avoid the long waits that we have had in the past.

Mac3 + 1
    becca7

Sounds very frustrating Mordo but hopefully the stretching and strengthening will do the trick.
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Hi Mac3, thanks for organising, sounds a great plan

Mac3 + 1
    becca7
    McHilly
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I land at 10:00am in Durban on 7th - currently - so bags of time to make this - what are the odds though of that happening :D

Lingela, Friday 7th June @ 18:30 - https://www.tsogosun.com/lingela

Mac3 + 1
    becca7
    McHilly
    1owrez
  • Becca, thanks! I'm finally feeling like I'm regaining some fitness, but I've decided that there's no way I'm going to regain a reasonable speed in time for NDW50, so I have to just go out and enjoy that (and Devil's Challenge), then get through SDW100, avoid breaking myself during that or WW night 50K, and see what I can do in LL50 and Ridgeway 86 - be nice to better my time for LL50 in 2013 (when I was running injured) and last year's time for the Ridgeway.
    Mac3: buffet is an excellent idea - so sad I'm going to miss it!
    Lowrez: a reminder of time and place for this Saturday evening, to save scrolling back?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

London Marathon table for 11 at Jamie Oliver Piccadilly - 7pm on the evening of Saturday 27th April

Restaurant - Pasta Menu

o 1owrez + Soaring Wombat
    o SS + Mr SS
    o thomasclowes
    o Dannirr + 3
    o Debra Bourne
    o McHilly

• Brilliant running SS & TCP! One day i hope to get to that sort of level of commitment to Ultra running! Sorry Mac3, I'm staying with friends in Ballito (up the coast a bit) pre-race, so won't make the meal, but hope everyone has a good time. Meanwhile I'm trying for a 3 hr 30 marathon on Sunday to 'guarantee' Boston 2020. If it gets too tough I'll bail on that goal and convert mid race to a training run  :D  
  • Max - good luck Sunday

Lowrez - number collected and in safe hands. See you in Piccadilly Circus on Saturday
  • Good luck to everyone doing London on Sunday!
  • GOOD LUCK to everyone running on Sunday. I will be marshalling at about mile 25 during the afternoon, so may see one or two of you there.