VLM 2019

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Portlander - you can always put a piece of your Kinesio tape on your foot to prevent blisters.  Ultra runners tape their feet up all the time.

I haven't done London for quite a while but it will be very busy at the finish and I doubt you will find any shelter to change your clothes at all.  You'll be lucky to find a patch of ground to sit on.
  • Cheers again Shades, never though about using the tape for feet.. nice one.

That's ok for the changing of clothes, as i'm supporting MIND they have a post race reception at a nearby hotel, apparently we can change there if needs be, so that's sorted. 

Starting to look up tips for running in the rain, i.e putting on dry socks n shoes near to the start as poss, as forecast starting to look a bit iffy. 
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Met Office forecast looks perfect - 10 degrees, overcast, light winds, 10% chance of rain?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Portlander - after your mention of the rain I looked at the forecast and saw what rodeoflip saw, light rain possible later in the day.  

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcpvj0v07#?date=2019-04-28

Unless torrential rain is forecast don't worry about dry socks.

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Lots of food and drink support out there :)
  • Cheers guys, i'll keep an eye on the forecast from the met office from now on. 

1owrez, i saw the same thing here, actually maybe a couple of more - https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/london-marathon/ 

I should have stayed an additional night to take advantage!
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    After last year's struggle in the heat, a cool fresh day might be just what this Scotsman needs.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I think rain is OK if it starts after you have got going. I did Yorkshire in October and it hammered down from an hour before the start until about 3 hours after I had finished. Once I got going the misery was forgotten and it kept me nice and cool. However, within minutes of finishing I became very very cold.

The current forecast (slightly too breezy to be classed as perfect) is very decent and probably presents the best London weather I have had if it stays the same. The bbc weather % chance of rain at any point is pretty low.

• Forecast shows rain about 2pm so it's an extra incentive to get finished quickly!

@portlanders you can still use your cap - I usually wear one if it's raining as it helps a bit to keep it out of my face.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Wow Portlanders "soft shell crab chaat with curried yoghurt, apple, and celeriac pickle"

I too will be running straight through the finish, hoicking my bag  upon my back and continuing on to Houston (I mean Euston) for the trip back into orbit (I mean up North)

Nice to speculate about the weather but I think its still a (I mean Stella) bit too early to be certain yet.

Quite right about getting cold quickly, pack a warm change if its like that on the day.

• Tracking on the App is now Live.

And if you don't like min/km and prefer miles, you can change this in the settings. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, that was quite an interesting read.
  • Thanks for the advice Shades, much appreciated :)

Does anyone think we have anything to be concerned about with the Extinction Rebellion protestors on race day? 
  • Not on race day, not with the amount of money that is raised for good causes, they wouldn't want to be seen affecting that. Though could be disruptions picking up our race packs, so would allow extra time for that. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I thought they had agreed from sunday a 7 day stand down? 
  • Should be okay this week as it’s going to be raining in London, the great unwashed won’t want to stand around getting wet and cold, they’ve probably got to go home to sign on at their local job centre for their benefits anyway 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen a link this year to the vmlm tag Heuer tickr? You link it to your social media account and it automatically updates whatever acct when you start, go through half way and finish?

The link is usually in one of the e-mails in the weeks before the event but not seen it this year.

• Not seen it DT19, though have seen this years medal on the London Marathon instagram account. 
  • AliT100AliT100 ✭✭✭
    This is my first London Marathon so I want to make the most of the weekend, arrived at Excel at 10.30, really looking forward to the day,picked up my number, no problem,then downhill all the way, half of the stalls weren’t occupied, those that were staffed were either charities awaiting their runners,other marathons/tour companies or overpriced accessories, we were out within an hour, more time travelling than spent walking around, we feel very disappointed what with the hype beforehand,here’s hoping that Sunday lives up to our expectations
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    A marathon expo is not something I particularly enjoy AliT100 - all I want is my race packet and they always put the counter at the back so that you have to plough through the stuff you have complained about. You will be much better off away from this and engaging in the sights of London. Sunday will be amazing in comparison, although you will have to queue a bit even after the starting gun goes which can be a bit boring before the canter really begins. 
  • I did Yorkshire too DT19 - nothing can be as wet as that. I actually wouldn't mind some light rain mid-run. Takes your mind of things..!

I won't be able to make the expo to pick up my number until circa 1:30pm on Saturday and am dreading the queues. I expect to be on my feet waiting in line until it closes at 5pm.. Fingers crossed I'm proven wrong though
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    A friend is getting mine for me :)
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Thankfully missing the moving scrum of Saturday and picking-up my number on Friday evening. 
    LC - There will be a queue, but not that long, depends on your number!  Chill and you have your number in no-time.  Still remember when I last ran in 2017, getting back to the DLR station to travel back into London to see a sweating angst driven guy frantically galloping up the stairs from the platform to pick up his number, it was around 4.55 pm. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I have been twice on a Saturday pm and picking up my number was no real trouble. Ive never queued more than 3-5 mins. Don't however make the mistake my friend made last year and pick up your number and then turn around and walk back out. He ended up with no chip and in turn no time for his first London. I will be there Friday lunchtime.

Alit, I really wouldn't be disappointed. The expo is not something to relish at all. I tend to skim the outer stands and get out the otherside asap. The most exciting part is walking in initially with the mara music blasting.

Lemon, yes I am not against some light drizzle later on.

• Seeing as you mentioned the chip there DT19, and it being my first marathon, may i ask if you put the chip on your shoe at the start, or at the hotel before you leave? 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Portlander - always put your chip on the night before, same with your race number.   I've seen several runners panic on a start line and too late to get a replacement.
  • Just a basic thing (among a list of other practicals) I would like first timers to be reminded of is to cut your toenails and fingernails like say tomorrow at the latest.

If you make the mistake of overcutting etc, it will heal by Snday.

Cutting back fingernails is actually a serious comment as from experience of those handing out refreshments to you when you are going at speed carries a risk of you more than scratching the fantastic volunteers.
  • Thanks Shades, I will do that.... also bringing a hole punch as got bib clips, thinking of using them and safety pins. 

Harmander, great advice as always, thank you so much. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Portlander - I've got those clips and they're really good, hold the number much flatter to the fabric than safety pins. 
    Some race numbers now come already punched with the holes, I don't know about London, maybe someone who has already collected their number can advise.