Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    SBD - loved reading your report. Bagging a sub 3 and still finishing 2,610th is quite amazing!
    Poacher - shocking to hear how VLM have changed their rules on deferrals. Best of luck with that knee.
    Badbark  - sorry to hear about your back. Hope you can get your MRI done.
    nicko - good editing skills.
    OO - all the best with the 10k.
    VTr - pleased to hear your training is going well. I guess most likely I did run out of fuel in my previous maras. Hard to put a finger on any one factor.
    Legs are running to normal. Did 5 easy miles yesterday and 7 with 12x400m tempo intervals this morning.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Hey guys, been a while...

I've got lots of reading back to do but I have to say wow! Unbelievable marathons by Nick, Steve, SBD and last but not least Gul. So pleased for you all. 

Badbark - sorry to hear your injury is giving you grief. I hope you get sorted soon. 

Not doing much running myself at the mo but I'm fine with that. Just the odd jog here and there to keep things ticking over. Have a great Easter all. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good to hear from you Gerard. Only 3 weeks till i come over to Jersey to test your fitness at parkrun ;)
    20:57 at the inaugural Blyth parkrun this morning. Saving my legs for the 10k tomorrow and a dust up with junior OO.

Great to hear the show is back on the road Gul... 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hey GM! Good to hear from you again, Sir.

Getting back into it again, Gul, nice one.

How as th 10k OO?

Full-on taper mode here. Resting today after a 12 miler yesterday at 7.14 pace. Left a bit later and it was blooming hot. If it wasn’t for Easter we’d be boiling at another hot London today.

Just 3 short easy runs planned for next week an lots of sleeping. May go to the expo on Thursday.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    The 10k was good GDawg but quite a hot one. I ran exactly the same time as 2 weeks ago 37:57. It felt much more comfortable though and I ran about 3 miles with junior OO. She shot off at the start but I caught her after 2 miles. We ran about 3 miles together then I pushed on in the last mile. 1st V55 for me and she won the ladies race so a good day for the OO family. 
    Hope the London boys are all tapering nicely ;)
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Go easy on the taper G-D, the hard work has been done.

Hope you managed to hold off junior at the 10K OO.

Good to hear from you Gerard - so no racing plans?

Looking good on the recovery Gul - what's the next challenge?

10K recovery runs for me yesterday and today.  All feeling good so will need to start thinking about entering some short distance races.

Just for G-D, on Hereford Street just beginning to realise time is getting close for the Sub 3 ...

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GM - good to hear from you. Keep ticking over!
    OO - sounds like a great 10k - well done on 1st place.
    GD - enjoy the last week of the taper.
    SBD - yes, same here. I've got a 10k coming up in 2 weeks - first one for 3 years.
    Had a good weekend, celebrating Easter and Miss GD the elder's 21st birthday. First run of the week this morning was 8 miles with pyramid intervals (5x100m,4x200m, 3x300m, 3x400m, 3x300m, 4x200m, 5x100m).

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    SBD - that's a great shot, looks like you're really starting to dig in there.
    Gerard - nice to hear from you.
    Gul - nice pyramid there - super early as usual. Many happy returns to your daughter, hope you had a great weekend celebrating.
    Congrats on the 10K OO, cracking time and age result. Well done to your daughter as well.
    Badbark - sorry to hear it's not going well with the back, hope an MRI will help find the problem and you can get on the recovery road.
    G-Dawg - that's a decent 12 miler - how did the effort feel and what's the pace plan for Sunday?

Looking forward to watching on Sunday; going to try and run to multiple points throughout so hopefully be able to catch a few of you in action.

Went to track on Thursday for 4 x 800/400, it didn't go well - coach had to tell me to jog the last couple of laps as I was obviously struggling! Finally did some easy miles yesterday in the midday heat - uncomfortable up the hills in the sun but nice to get out there then lie by the gym outdoor pool for the rest of the afternoon; bit of biking planned today to enjoy this amazing weather even further.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    nicko - maybe you just need a bit more recovery time.
    Relaxing in the garden today and decided to sort out my old running shoes. These are 2 pairs which I've just retired today. Each pair has done over 1,000 miles and cost £20 from Aldi :) They are in a right state!

• Crikey Gul - that's a fair amount of wear and tear!!!

Great to hear from you GM - what are your spring / summer racing plans?

Glad to hear that everyone's London prep's going well - on behalf of those of us who are spectating, can we have a list of people's numbers so that we can follow progress? I'm aiming to be at the BHF cheerpoint on the right hand side of Tower Bridge (towards the end if I remember correctly from last year) - it's one of my favourite parts of the course so looking forward to cheering everyone on from there before heading off to Chandos.

A week post Boston and I obviously can't come close to SBD's heroics but I'd had a reasonably good (if a little unstructured) training build up before we headed out to the States a week or so beforehand (holiday, rather than acclimatisation). If I'd made the race the no.1 reason for heading out there, I wouldn't have been quite so active in the few days before the race as I was probably walking about 10-12 a day on average to take in all the tourist attractions of Philly, New York and Boston, but the holiday with Mrs L was the priority and the race was a secondary goal.

On the morning of the race I left the apartment around 6.30am and the weather seemed pretty promising - dry and no sign of the forecasted storms but just after I got off the subway and was working out where to drop my bag off, the heavens opened and it was a question of working out the best moment to make a break for it to drop my stuff off and then head to buses to go out to Hopkinton.

However, it continued to tip it down with thunder and lightening for good measure and suffice to say, my selection of a pair of old jeans that I could wear and then discard at the start was not the best choice and by the time I got to the bus they were soaked through so I just ended up taking them off and hoping it wouldn't be too cold at the start. 

Fortunately the rain let up by the time I got to the start so I could relax in the big tent until it was time to head to the start. Everything was very well organised (apart from the weather) and I started to feel in better spirits.

We started promptly at 10.25 and I tried to hold back but found myself going through the first mile in around 7 mins which I put down to it being downhill - with hindsight I should definitely have reined things back a bit more as I completely underestimated the impact of the downhill running for a concerted period of time and after about 10 miles my legs were already starting to feel rather worn out and I kept telling myself that there was only a couple of miles to the famous scream tunnel at Wellesley College. I had G-Dawg's comments in my mind as I ran through past a sneaked a couple of kisses on the way!!  ;)

Once the excitement of this had worn off it was back to business with the Newton Hills getting ever closer. The elevation profile of them hadn't looked too bad so I wasn't too worried but they proved to be tougher than I was expecting, especially on legs that were definitely in the state you don't want them to be feeling with 10 miles to go. Up and over Heartbreak Hill and I kept telling myself that there were only 5 miles after that but I was really struggling by this point and had to have a few walking breaks to give myself a bit of recovery time. I knew by then that 3:15 was out of the window, let alone a sub 3:10, so just concentrated on conserving enough energy to make sure I was running past Mrs L when I saw her (and got another kiss!!) at mile 23 and then again for the final stretch down Boyelston Avenue.

All I fancied doing when I got through the finishing line was lying down and I kept being asked whether I was OK / being moved on by various people. By the time I had had a tactical vomit and found somewhere to sit, I then started cramping up in my right leg which definitely wasn't much fun and I somehow managed to hobble to the cafe where I had arranged to meet up with Mrs L.

OK - so 3:27 isn't really anything to shout about but it was a fantastic experience and it really reminded me how you should never underestimate or fail to treat the marathon with the respect it deserves. After a couple of days off running I managed a 20:33 parkrun up in Manchester on Saturday and am now planning a couple of running challenges over the summer while working out plans for the autumn (probably Abingdon)

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good to hear from you, Gerard.

SBD, you look like a proper wirey runner there. 

Oo, well done on the 10k and to your daughter. 

Badbark, sorry to hear about the relapse, Perhaps for once the gp is right. Good luck with mri. 

Gul, thats riduculous wear. Do you run up high on your toes? The wear seems very heavy there. 

Nicko, seems you need a bit more time, of which you have plenty so dont rush. 

Lorenzo, sorry Boston didnt go as you hoped. I read Abingdon usually sells out by end of April. 

Following 14 easy Friday i did 5 at recovery early saturday. We then went to Liverpool for weekend for my sons 9th birthaday. I got us tickets for the everton v united game for his first trip to Goodison and  couldnt have asked for a better day! 

On the way home we stopped at Cheshire oaks outlet village. I popped into asics shop and they had my usual gt1000 at £52 which is a very good price. I then saw it was 3 for 2 so got 3 pairs for £104 so £35 a pair. 

Got back for easy 4 tonight followed by spin. Weather looking very solid for sunday right now. Bit breezy but then plenty of people to shelter behind. 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Gul you are thrifty enough to be the next resident of 11 Downing St.

Lorenzo the pic tells the story of a very hard day. Well toughed out. seethe newton Hills aren't all that steep but they prey on the mind and come at just the wrong time.  

SBD looks fresh as the proverbial daisy.  A memorable day all round and IMO much better than Chicago and NYC. 

Welcome back GM, keep jogging along

Good effort OO

Badbark - sorry to hear of this continuing woe

I'm still unable to walk properly but if VMLM won't allow a deferral, I may as well hold out hope until Sunday morning. Maybe a 10% chance of a slow jog/walk round to enjoy the craic.

Who is planning to be in Chandos afterwards?
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That is a tough one Lorenzo. I have a friend who did the Bob Graham round last year. Even he died on those hills and missed his 3 hour target last week in Boston, so fully sympathise. 
    Poacher I do hope you can make it. I’ll be at Chandos as usual.

Gul I’m surprised you run so well in those shoes. I like bargain but foot care is important, treat yourself man ;)

I’m 31648 but I’m sure you’ll spot me Lorenzo.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Loved the report on Boston, Lorenzo. Sure, like me, you didn’t score a time you wanted on the day but the Boston experience is amazing. I learned loads in the hot conditions that day and looking back enjoyed every part of the overall experience. It’s my favourite race so far and am so pleased to hear you and others say similar.

I’m 34977 on Sunday. Weather forecast looks ace for once.

Gul – those shoes are a disgrace. Love it!!

Cracking 10k there OO. Well done.

Great pic there, SBD. Looking too fresh for my liking.

Sorry about the back again, Badbark, hang on in there…

Ate my body weight in BBQ food and chocolate at the weekend but eased off yesterday. Felt bouncy on a standard 5 miler but kept it down to 7.20 pace.

My marathon socks have a hole in them and I’m in a mild panic over which other ones to use. Tested another pair yesterday with the race shoes and they seem OK but I do like the X-Scock marathon model as I’ve raced in them a few times with no issues.. Could buy a new pair at the expo, wear them at work and wash them a couple of times to get them race ready?

• I'll be in Chandos - aiming to get there around 1.45
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    I'll also be in Chandos, probably aim to get there at a similar time to Lorenzo. I'll be cheering at Somerset House, left hand side so around the 40k mark. Hopefully see you all for the final push to the finish!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I'll be wearing a bright orange club vest with a green stripe on the chest and sporting a big red face.

Upstairs again at Chandos?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

31745. I'll see you on the yellow start, OO.

I will be wearing a salmon pink coloured nike vest (it looked red on the website!!), a pair of running shorts that are so short my vest makes it look like I am wearing none and bright blue vaporflys. Basically a car crash in any other environment. I'll definitely head to Chandos and hope to be there for 2pm. I think upstairs is a good option as was pretty quiet last year.

Weather is looking pretty solid. I'll take the slight breeze as it is still the best set of racing conditions I've had in 18 months.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - that's a respectable time on a tough course after a heavy week of tourist activity.
    DT - sounds like you had a good weekend for your son's birthday. The uppers and the soles are in holes by the toes, yes (and the heels are not much better) I think that's just because they're cheap shoes which don't come in a size 12!
    Poacher - hope you can make it on Sunday.
    Enjoying all the excitement of the build-up to London - good job it wasn't on the 21st!
    10 steady miles this morning. Just itching to give the 10k a blast.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Ok DT you should be easy to spot 😎
    Im not looking at weather until later this week. I’m focusing on not putting on any more weight (besides Easter eggs) 3.5 km swim this morning.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

A tough day Lorenzo.  How did you find the start from Corral 1 and did you lose the GPS signal as well? You do know the official photographers were taking pictures at Wellesley College!

You've had value from those trainers Gul.  Which 10K are you racing?

I didn't fancy carrying any excess weight over those hills DT - but getting through the Pizza and beer now!

I'm sure I was working hard on Hereford Street G-D!  I'd go for the new pair of socks from the expo.

All looking good for Sunday - conditions looking perfect.

How are the running schedules looking for this week and can we have some time predictions please!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I’m trying not to run SBD, will certainly rest Thursday & Friday. Probs will do one more swim and I have a massage booked for Thursday.
    Im planning to follow the Seville formula, going off at 7 min miles and see what comes after 20. I hope below 3:05 is possible but below 3:03 (my NY time) would be the dream, although doubtful. The lack of long runs could be the key factor to scupper this but let’s see.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    4 miles averaging 7.19 tonight. Kept the HR in the blue zone which averaged 137, so all felt easy. 

Will just do a 3 mile shakedown on Thursday or Friday amd that's me cooked and ready for serving.

Plan is also to run on feel around 7 min pace just like Chicago and hold on if I can. Chicago was flatter so the 3.05 PB on Sunday is a big ask.

London will be cooler than Chicago and stats suggest slightly improved, so it could be interesting. Would love to get sub 3.05 on my home course but best at London is 3.11. We'll see.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - Sounds like a tough one but a great experience nonetheless. Nice reporting. Nothing in the calendar for me at the mo. 

SBD - That's a cool pic. You really are good at this marathon business. I have no racing plans for the foreseeable. I'll do a bit of jogging over the course of the summer and decide if I'll do an autumn marathon. I may do a casual one but undecided as yet. 

Gul - Sounds like you had a lovely Easter. When is the 10k? Are you hoping for a fast time? Should be strong after your marathon campaign. 

OO - Nice 10k. You;ll leave me for dust in parkrun but I'll give it a shot but won't be fast. 

G-Dawg - Hopefully you'll get a nice course pb or even better on Sunday. 

Poacher - Man, sounds pretty bad. Hope things improve soon. 

DT - Nice bargain hunting. 

VTr - Great to hear from you again. 

The weather here was unreal all weekend. 23c and sunny from Friday to Monday. Sat by a pool all weekend chilling with the better half. Brilliant weekend but no running, it was very chilled and we had a massive Easter lunch with family and friends yesterday that started at 1:30 and carried on until midnight. Needless to say I was a bit tired today... :smiley: I will run tomorrow. :wink:

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nice work, GM, and good to see you back on here, although you used the 'J' word which is strictly forbidden in this parish.   ;)

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good spot GDawg, we can't be having that nonsense ;) 
    Great to hear from you Gerard, we'll get you back 'running'.

Rest day here.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    eyup, Gerard - that lunch sounds pretty good !!   :) 

just ticking over, in a totally unstructured way here - just can't focus, with running or anything else

but I'll be in London - first time as a supporter . . . . .                                                                                                                             
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Gul - those shoes look like they have seen some things! Great value mileage.

Lorenzo - great write-up and a fantastic experience no matter the result.

Hope everyone had fun in the sun at the weekend; had great weather in the South West, perfect for BBQs and beer. Managed a midday slow 8 miler Sunday which was a bit uncomfortable up the hills in the heat; nice few hours by the gym pool after though. Got a good cycle out to the coast and a progression run Monday night, averaging 7:00/mile for 5.5 - not back yet to form but feeling a bit more on the way.

Will make it to Chandos hopefully between you guys finishing and my Mum finishing at about 4pm I think. Need to make a military-level plan to hit the support points and get to the pub as well! Stevie - probably see you at Somerset House at some point.
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Greetings All - It's been a long time

Huge congratulations to Gul.  This is a hugely deserved result Gul after all the work you have put in and good results in other races and wondering if it would ever happen.  Yours is a tremendous story of persistence and very inspirational.

Best wishes for all the London runners this weekend

It's a long time since I could consider myself as a 3:15 person as the last time was 2015 for 3:15:57.  My marathon speed has collapsed spectacularly since then. 2016 was 3:56, 2017 was 4:12 and my most recent marathon was 4:44 at Soweto last November.  Basically ongoing injury and other issues have left me unable to run more than a few months a year, 3-4 time per week and limited mileage.

Nevertheless I will 'try' a marathon this weekend (the glamour of the Robor Scaffolding marathon) and have an entry in the world's greatest foot race on 9th June for which I am working hard and carefully towards starting.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    wow, BikeIt  !!     another blast from the past - good to hear from you - and massive kudos (in view of your described "issues" ) in starting Comrades :)     
    good luck - keep us posted . . . . .