Wednesday, 24 April 2019 - Oh, killing me softly and I'm still fallin'

chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in Training
Morning :)

Lyrics: Oh, killing me softly and I'm still fallin'

Another sunny day beckons. But it's unbelievably dry and full of dust. We urgently need some rain

Planning some gym stuff and a short run.

Comments

• Morning

Back home last night sorry no posting but no wifi in room and limited seating in lounge 6 and always full;-)

I suffered with migraines with the heat on holiday but made the most of each day:-)

Ale: I saw your post I got results last night.I have entered another 5k race and see how that goes and where I go from there.I may have to do 5k training but no idea where to start as not my thing normally;-)but at least i am not afraid of the pain anymore :)  and achilles behaved!

Chick: Rain due here from 11am thank goodness:-)

What: Running
    Why: Because I can
    Last hard: Travelling for 8+ hours on coach
    Lyrics: they sound familiar
    Last rest 23/04

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics - Hung Up by Madonna.

Cooler here and rain forecast this afternoon. Wind picks up from tomorrow:-(

Sorry to hear you were unwell on your holiday Poppy.

I'm sure you'll soon have it all back under control Donaldo.

Hope your air quality improves chicksta.

What:          even shorter
    Why:           taper
    Last hard:   tapering
    Last rest:    27/1

Lyrics - I think so.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

WP: obviously whatever training you have been doing seems to be working re 5K! Initially I would suggest throwing in one fartlek a week and see how the body reacts to quicker running. When do you next pin a number on?

What: unsure

Why: it is supposed to be my quicker session but legs were very tired on last night's run and I also worked the Achilles hard on the leg press machine and there is a bit of tenderness there this morning. Will do 3 to 4 k warm up and take it from there, or not.

Not seen Wabo for a few days: hope all is OK. Good win last night!

It is supposed to rain here today, but not sure when: three different forecasts give three different times! And the car is covered in dust from the Sahara.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Morning all! Bit damp and grey down here too. 

Sorry to hear you've not been well Poppy.

Alehouse....hope the Achilles is OK today.

Enjoy the gym Chick 

What.....pilates this morning and a gentle run out with my friend this evening 
    Why....because it's Wednesday 
    Last hard....still smiling about the marathon 

Lyrics....ring a bell but no cigar  
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all,
    WP - Good luck with the 5k training. I always look forward to it after mile after mile over winter. 
    Shorter, faster reps, less recovery but session is over quickly! Let me know if you want some pointers.
    Don - I think I could accept chaos if I had 3 weeks off!
    Chick - I'm sitting with my feet up on Sunday, with a lot of runners on the tracker!
    What - easy lunchtime running / coaching village group. 
    Why - routine
    last rest - last Saturday
    last hard - Sunday

• Hope your achilles plays ball and you can enjoy your run Alehouse.

You are good doing Pilates Daisy - another thing on my 'should do' list but I'd have to give up a run to get to a class conveniently. Grey here too and not very warm.

Enjoy your run Dustin.

Right. I had best get out for this little run. I've been delaying departure this week to pass more of the morning otherwise I'm liable to eat a lot more than I should be doing. I was debating whether Wednesday was too early to start carb loading when I walked Grace and I think the answer is yes really - tomorrow will be the day though my weight has stayed low despite the taper. It's starting to get a bit real now.............
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Very excited for you, LMH :)

Dustin: Sitting with the feet up and tracking VLM runners is my favourite Sunday pastime. Will make sure I get my run out of the way beforehand so I can feel rather smug.

Daisy: Your Pilates reminds me I need to get back to doing more yoga.

Ale: Everything is covered in dust here too. Feels like planet Dune :D

Poppy: Do you have a parkrun near you? I find them the best way to do speed work. So much more fun in a group. I usually start at the back and use the first k to warm up and then gradually work my way through the field for the remainder. That's a long travel day! Was this an overseas race?

What: 7 tired miles and bit of stretching
    Why: legs weren't playing ball today
    Last hard: today felt way harder than I would have liked
    Last rest: Monday
  • Bluebell run must have been lovely Dustin.

Nice to see you back out running Daisy. 

Must be tough looking back at that Chicksta.  I have a half mid-May to look forward to.  The 10 miler was a tune-up for that.  Plus a couple of hill races coming up in between.  Agree on the rain, should be getting some Thursday / Friday but not much. 

Hope the chaos at work has subsided a bit Donaldo.

Sorry to hear about the migraines WP.  8+ hours on the coach - ouch!  Good luck with the 5k training.

Did the cake turn out well LMH?  Double boo to the wind - don't mind cold/wet but I hate wind.  

Good to be cautious Ale, I was just thinking about Wabo as well. 

I'm also looking forward to watching some VLM.  

What: work is looking good (end of month financial stuff) so I should be able to pop out over lunch for some GA miles. 
    Why: Nice day again and I should go short tomorrow (hill race on Friday)
    Last hard: additional ups and downs yesterday evening - jogged to and from the meeting point for my group run. 
    Last rest: Good Friday

Lyrics: No

• Nerves are building here chicksta. It's been a strange year and I have no idea what sort of shape I'm in.

It did Hazel - very gingery with lots of rhubarb bits in. I think tomorrow will be either peanut butter oatmeal cookies or a banana and peanut butter loaf. Good news about work.
  • Alehouse: Thanks will try one end of this week if I can. May 6th Bank Holiday.....

Dustin: I think it is too late but I will target these 2 races next year and will need all the help I can get especially with dodgy achilles.Unless I can find one 6 weeks away or so near to me and not at night.

Chick: I don't do parkrun we do have a local one but too many runners and very bottle necked.I rather do my own thing as I think it can cause injuries.
    Not overseas one end of Wales  through into England and then top end of Wales;-)

Daisy Glad you have got out for run and still smiling.

Our car also has the red dust!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning all

Sorry been awol, I am back,  Nice of you to wonder, giselle massive seizure last week but is slowly recovering and now my mum is sitting in the stroke clinic possibly had a tia on Sunday. My mum is having such a rough time, sciatica causing terrible pain and will not shift. So I have not felt like posting anything anywhere tbh, I have lurked but just, you know.
    we have the red dust here Poppy
    LMH its that taper madness, I am sure you will be fine.  Does the weather look to be ok?
    hazel, that sounds good on the work front enjoy your miles
    chicksta hope legs work better tomorrow
    dustin enjoy the easy and coaching
    daisy, what a lovely feeling that post marathon, enjoy your day
    Alehouse,take it easy I reckon.  Oh the game last night was so tense, but so good in the end!!!
    Poppy I travelled once in Peru for about 18 hours on a coach - blimey that was tough

What: only a little one, they all have been the last 3 days
    why: time, how I feel and so on
    last hard: this morning
    last rest: 31/12/16

Anyone here ever done a movie marathon?  Me and my daughter did, 8.45 sunday night through to 5.45 monday evening.  All 8 Harry Potter films!!! Mad and fun! 

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Sorry to hear that you and yours are having a tough time at the minute Wabo. Is what taper madness, the sore throat? If so no - I usually have it to some degree and it always gets worse when my B12 jab is due.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    (((wabo))) that's terrible news :(  Really sorry your family are going through another hard period. OMG, I didn't even know there were 8 Harry Potter movies in the meantime! I've only got as far as reading the first 4 books. Then it all got a bit too weird for my liking.

LMH: Crossing fingers and toes for you. You deserve a great race.

Poppy: Understand. We have 100 people at our parkrun max. It hasn't quite caught on in Germany yet. Otherwise I wouldn't ever be near a podium finish :D

Enjoy your GA miles, Hazel.  
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    lmh, no sorry I missed the sore throat, just saw 'depends what shape I am in'.  Hope the throat leads to nothing. It is hell the few days leading up to a marathon worrying and feeling anything wrong is not what you want!
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Afternoon!

Sorry to hear about Giselle and mum, Wabo! Hope they are both on the road to recovery.

What: Just under 4k warm up, during which I nearly came a cropper when going flying over one of those long dog leads. The man on the end of it blamed me for not looking where I was going; when I threatened to report him to the police he suddenly changed his attitude and was most apologetic. Somehow managed to stay on my feet. 2 x 3 minutes hard with 2 mins recovery, as last week. Covered marginally more ground but decided to keep the sensible head on and not do the third rep that I had intended to. Achilles niggled a little but I think I can manage that, as long as it doesn't affect the calf.

Why: trying to run faster to run faster!

WP: as you realise, the race is too soon for any quicker running to have an impact before race day.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Sending hugs Wabo - sounds like a few tough days
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Sending you some more hugs Wabo x
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    thank you all for the hugs
    It gets better, mum goes to the stroke clinic and after an hour they said sorry can you come back tomorrow we can't see you today! All of which aggravated her sciatica no end.  She lives in Ramsgate I live in Chingford and am no use - thankfully my youngest brother is there.  She is 88 on Monday what a way to be treated.

• Sorry to hear about your family's health issues Wabo.  That certainly isn't the way to treat an 88 year old.   Hope the clinic gets itself sorted tomorrow.  I'm afraid I have so far refused to read Harry Potter - all that hype put me off somehow.  Have I missed anything? - I like a good read.  I could secretly read them to find out as my mum sent them to OH... :p

Bloody dog leads Ale: I generally check if there is one stretched between dog and owner but some are almost invisible.  And the dog can also suddenly change direction.

Did my lunch miles but didn't enjoy the warmth and the sun (sorry LMH - I know you would have done!), I seem to acclimatize with more difficulty each year.   First drops are fallling on the window as I write so it seems the weather is breaking earlier than forecasted.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Afternoon again!

That clinic is simply not being fair to your mum, Wabo! I would expect them to bend over backwards to see someone of that age. 

Re dog leads, Hazel, I couldn't see it even when I was tangled up in it, it was that thin. 

And Harry who?

I think we have had three drops of rain so far. Probably waiting for the football tonight so everyone can see how wet Manchester always is. 
  • Another breezy bright day

6.5 breezy easy trail miles (try track later)
    while the sun shines
    last rest last week
    lyrics no

Trails are as dry as I've known them

Sorry to hear of your troubles Wabo

AH Dog leads - been there done that, although in my case dog got as much of a fright as me and owner was apologetic.
  • Your poor mum Wabo.

I hate those extendable leads with a passion Alehouse, too often the people using them people just don't give any consideration to anyone else using the path and it can be so difficult to see them. Glad you are unscathed.

I thought I was the only one who hasn't read or watched Harry Potter!

Is your back better now OH?

We had a prolonged heavy shower when I was in town but it's totally dry here so far about seven miles away.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Not raining here...yet, but it is at Old Trafford (cricket) about four miles away. 
    Edit: now pouring!

I believe someone mentioned a cheese fair: one not too far from you on 4/5th May, LMH
    http://www.goleicestershire.com/thedms.aspx?dms=3&feature=1000&venue=2512020

• We've been a few times Alehouse - it's very good - but are going away that weekend. Thanks for thinking of me though.
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Sorry Alehouse...completely missed the bit about the lead! I hate those things with a passion. They are dreadful when you are on bikes too. Hope your leg is OK.

Not running tonight....the heavens have opened. Yes I'm a whimp 😉 
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    big hugs Wabo all round, sorry to hear family woes

very tired here so opted for a rest day, a nice short week as only tomorrow to go as away in Birmingham for the weekend. which hopefully means a trip to cannon hill parkrun....

Lyrics - potentially

Take care
  • Back not 100% yet but getting there, LMH. Thanks for asking.