Coming back

<div>I'm getting back to running after a diagnosis of adult onset asthma, which has meant that for much of the last two years I've been really struggling to just walk to the end of the road.</div><div>New meds last week, I'm now able to run again, albeit slowly, and have been doing about five to eight miles a day.</div><div>I am trying to work out a sensible way of getting back to distance running. I don't want to get injured and need even more time off, but I have missed being able to just run for hours and escape everything else so much, and I want more of that, not little two-mile runs.</div><div>I think I need something like a training schedule or a goal, much as I always disliked those back when I was running more?</div><div>I used to do marathons, ultramarathons (longest 54M), and an Ironman, 60-100 miles per week, but for about five years haven't been able to run much at all.</div><div>My head still thinks I am a distance runner. My legs are rusty but cooperating so far. Lungs can shut up and take their meds.
</div>

Comments

• Hi DuckGirl, sorry to hear of your illness, good that you have a light at the end of the tunnel though. I can empathise as also having been forced out of running for 9 years now due to health and I too still think about getting out for a good few hours run on my own nearly every day! I'll start off with stating that I am not a medical professional and know nothing of the possible issues with your asthma! As boring as it might be, I do think some structure to your training will be very important, you'll have lost cardio fitness and probably strength in the last couple of years so you'll be prone to injuries. Cardio fitness is likely to improve faster than strength so you'll be putting a lot of pressure on your body as you want to go further and faster so you'll need a way of holding yourself back and a strength training regime. Pilates would be a good idea as well as plenty of leg work. Having short, medium and long term goals will help keep you motivated too. Good luck with the come back, I hope it goes well for you  :)
  • DarolaDarola ✭✭✭
    Strongly recommend “run less, run faster”. There is a book, and supporting phone app that gives you a schedule, including pace and target times for each session based on your achievable race pace - so you can change this every couple of weeks as you get fitter - for varying distances. It works on running 3 days a week - 1 speed/reps, 1 mid/tempo, 1 long. Plus two cross-training (can be bike, x-trainer, rowing) it builds up the distance each week, and helps you avoid injury by varying training type/speed and avoiding running on consecutive days.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Ducky!  Good to "see" you again.  Good luck with getting back to it - but take it slowly and don't break yourself!  Remember the 10% rule.  :)