Sub 3

Comments

• I'll do my best to tailor the shout LMH, but currently got 16 runners on my tracker so depends how spaced out you are  :D
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Wardi, OO, Al -- thanks for reassurance! I put my easter eggs under embargo until the evening of VLM by the way...

CD -- you've always outperformed me by age, from memory -- I'll be very happy if I could get close to what you've maintained!

Welcome back Tmap, sounds like you've found the ideal training loop.

I've just started back on the carbs, two tiny taper runs to go before Sunday. I'm on autopilot.

LMH # 30905   CRUK 
    CC2
    CharlieW #1904, white with 2 navy hoops, <2:45 hopefully!
    Wardi
    OO # 30183  Yellow start  <2.49  <2.51  <2.53 
    JoeB
    DanA
    CD
    ES
    Al_P #1839 Champs start/White & green sides New Forest Runners vest/ A<2:28 B<2:29:30(PB) C<2:30 
    TT (training run)
    Crab
    Ode

• TickTockTickTock ✭✭✭
    Picked up my number yesterday so a chance to carbo load a bit today and take a gentle jog. No sign of taper madness so all good. Hope everyone is looking forward to Sunday.

LMH # 30905   CRUK 
    CC2
    CharlieW #1904, white with 2 navy hoops, <2:45 hopefully!
    Wardi
    JoeB
    DanA
    CD
    ES
    Al_P #1839 Champs start/White & green sides New Forest Runners vest/ A<2:28 B<2:29:30(PB) C<2:30 
    TT (training run)
    Crab
    Ode
    TickTock 
    #30814 <3hr and >5 pints
  • Great report on Boston Cartman, sounds like an experience. I think me and the better half are going to go next year, anyone else thinking about it? Caught up with DanA at the expo last night, and his story didn't manage to put me off. 

Had an annoying illness (sore throat/tummy/headache) which is just about on the way out (I hope), but not filled with confidence for Sunday.

Probably wasn't helped by racing a 10km on Easter Friday. Ended up equalling my PB in 35:41, after basically giving up during the last 2km. I went through 10km of Reading half in 35 mins flat so I wasn't going to be satisfied with a small PB anyway. Tart. Wrote a report on that and pre-race thoughts here if anyone wants a read;

https://spragginsblog.wordpress.com/2019/04/25/victoria-park-10km-london-marathon-preview/

Hopefully see plenty of you Sunday. Probably the only one off the champs start wearing a flat cap and swimming trunks, so I should be easy to identify, but you never know... Will try and make Red Lion for a bit as well. 
  • LMH # 30905   CRUK 
    CC2
    Wardi
    JoeB #1710 Champs start. Clapham chaser vest/flat cap. A<2:38, B<2:39:48(PB), C<2:45
    DanA
    CD
    ES
    TT (training run)
    Crab
    Ode
    TickTock 
    #30814 <3hr and >5 pints
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TT - Ballsy target, I will hit the wall at 3 pints, lack of training and tend to go off too quick. 
    Joe - So you were not very well and you ran a near 10K PB in a congested race - your in great form mate, you will fly on Sunday.  I won't be seeing you in the first (or second) half of this race that's for sure.  
    Logistics sorted, meetings on way to London from Cornwall, Expo tomorrow evening then a few days with friends and a very relaxing Saturday.  Conditions look good for the race. Just started cake-based carboloading (yum) but caffeine depleting (arrh) and a can of Monster run-faster juice ready for Sunday morning. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    They will probably throw you off the Champs start wearing that combo Joe  :)  Have a good day and hope to see you in the Red Lion.
    TickTock.. admirable target that (the 5 pints obviously :p ).  You will probably be on the 3rd by the time I get to the pub.
    Al P.. great to see you in confident mood & good to go, hope you have a stormer on Sunday.
    Charlie.. I guess tomorrow is the day for your traditional door stop sized jam sandwiches.  I've just bought my sliced Soreen loaf today.
    Ran a 10k test run yesterday morning with 2m @ MP.  Similar temps to what is forecast for marathon day too so a useful outing.  Train down tomorrow then Expo.
    Out of interest how many of you get out for a short run (say 4-5k) on the Saturday morning?  I always do this now after doing an overseas marathon breakfast run some years ago.  For me it seems to get rid of that slightly stuffed during taper feeling.
    Nice to see you getting back in the groove TMap, my own local racecourse (York) is a 2m loop on tarmac so useful for multi lap training runs.

• I usually run 2-4 miles the day before a race Wardi.

If you could fancy dress off the Champs start I'd be checking out  the posh loos in my charity vest Joe  :) Hope you're 100% for Sunday.

Sounds as though you're sorted OuchOuch.

Is no taper madness usual for you TickTock? I'm feeling unusually nervous and have no idea why.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I usually do 3 or 4 miles the day before a marathon.  Helps with maranoia and heavy legs without doing any damage - i hope!
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Good luck to all Londoners this weekend! Looking forward to sunday💪💪

ive been quietly banging the miles in on tired legs, was getting them under me until today when I tried to stop a sliding scaffold ladder with my foot. The broken toe had escaped further damage but I’ve done something to the instep. Taking a night off🤞
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    I run no more than 3 miles the day before a marathon.
  • Cartman - nice Boston report. I ran it in 2017, and yes those downhills do kill your legs. I lost both quads around the 19M mark I think, and basically limped home. More hill work before I give it another go!

Picked up my number today at lunchtime. Had a quick look around, but had to get back to work so didn't spend ages in the expo. Still not sure what marathon pace is going to come out at, but I'll post some targets in a moment.
  • LMH # 30905   CRUK 
    CC2
    CharlieW
    Wardi
    JoeB
    DanA
    CD
    ES #30284 Yellow start < 2:45 < 2:50 (PB) < 2:53
    TT (training run)
    Crab
    Ode
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I've done a parkrun before every Sunday marathon from VLM 2012 onwards & even did one before my first IronMan in Tenby. I've got carried away a couple of times notably Abo16 (19:20) & VLM17 (19:22) though both felt relatively easy efforts as I was in great shape & tapered. I even managed a 21:04 parkrun immediately before my Man v Horse PB in 2016 & a 22:04 as wu for Snowdonia 17 - both Saturday races :D 
  • Hope it's ok this morning Mennania.

I never know what MP is going to be until I'm doing it! My number was collected for me yesterday so that's one less thing to stress over.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Interesting, my last run tends to be on the Thursday with zilcho on Friday/ Saturday to give my aching limbs a chance to stop aching.
  • Al - Fair enough, funny the differences in the courses and how a few 90 degree turns can add the seconds on! Hope you go well on Sunday, forecast seems to say no rain now.

Padams - We were over at the Upton junior parkrun Sunday morning, great little course. Had Sunday off as I had a quite hard long run from my mums (Branksome Rec area) - down to Fleetsbridge, into Poole, through Poole Pk, down to Shore rd and along the prom to the beach hut. The day before did a lovely barefoot 400m session on the grass track at Canford school...that was different!

• Morning Folk and especially the Londoners! 

I'm heading down in a few hours to spectate. 
    Can someone help please? - my training mate is GFA and was telling me he's yellow start - but I cant work out what route he's going to be on? - I'm going to be at mile 1ish as staying there and then I'm going to decant to 18.5 and sit in the BrewDog bar on Canary Wharf. I'll look out for those I know and I'll try and work out the ones I don't know's ETA! 
    I suspect its going to be easier to work out mile 1 than 18.5. 
    No idea if I'll make it to red lion but I am heading back oop north about 5ish from KX

I'll have a run tomorrow morning if anyone is Greenwich way on and wants to turn their legs over. It'll give me a break from the cross training  ;)

Bet you guys are pleased the gails are sat not Sunday! 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Yellow runs a different route to Blue start up to 3m WTGY so you will miss him in theory.
  • LMH # 30905   CRUK 
    CC2
    Wardi
    JoeB #1710 Champs start. Clapham chaser vest/flat cap. A<2:38, B<2:39:48(PB), C<2:45
    DanA
    CD #29647 Yellow start, green vest, <2:45 if all goes very well.
    TT (training run)
    Crab
    Ode

• @wardi any idea which route yellow is - as I'll move across to where he goes past? 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    WTGY.. if you look at the VLM final instructions online it shows the 3 start routes.  I believe it's Charlton Way for the red/yellow start.

• Here you go WTGY - I'm on the yellow start too - tell your mate to say hi if he's the chatty type. I'm hoping the wind disappears and the temperature picks up a bit!
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Al -- quite right, I brought a mountain of carbs to work today to share around. Feeling a bit stuffed already! And I usually run just a ritual mile, with a brisk 400m, the day before. Just superstition now, but the original aim was to keep my muscles stimulated but not burn any hoarded glycogen to speak of.

WTGY -- you can meet up where red (aka yellow) and blue roots converge on that bit with the central reservation people hop across.

CD -- thanks for restoring me to the list ;-)

• Ah feck, I screwed up the list - sorry all. Mustn't have hit refresh before I posted, and a whole load of people had updated in the meantime! Thanks CD for fixing!!!!
  • You're welcome CW, although in doing so I notice I'd left out TickTock..

LMH # 30905   CRUK 
    CC2
    Wardi
    DanA
    CD #29647 Yellow start, green vest, <2:45 if all goes very well.
    TT (training run)
    Crab
    Ode
    TickTock #30814 <3hr and >5 pints

• Wardi - P&D says do 4M the day before a mara, and that's what I do :)

5M with half a dozen strides today. Now food!
  • If I don't run my legs feel really sluggish the next day - not what I want when racing.

I may be overdoing the carb loading or I'm just out of practise, feel stuffed already.
  • Today's nutrition.  Sausage roll, big bag of BBQ Hula Hoops and a packet of chocolate biscuits.  Bollocks to this carb loading crap loading's where it's at.  Trust me.  School reunion tonight so I expect the hydration not to be lacking quantity even if the quality is somewhat dubious for an afleet.

Hezza - thanks for the offer of a run but I was busy.  Touched.

No running tomorrow largely as I'm managing some 'issues' but ordinarily it would be 4 or so with a couple of quicker ones.  Been running some MP effort stuff the last couple of weeks and the telemetry tells me I'm there or thereabouts and may have more right to post here than the Holy Labcoat who I nearly directed smartly to the sub315 fred earler in the week to repost his report!  Telemetry is one thing but it doesn't get added to your palmares so will need to see what Sunday brings.  Hopefully more success than last year when Ode and I were a combined 50minutes over the target we set off from Blackheath with hopes of achieving by the time we hit The Mall.

As you were.