P&D Spring Marathon 2019

Comments

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Race number list

Muddy   30241
    HA77     1905
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Good luck all running on Sunday. Will be watching on tv. Just about running again, but still madly unfit. 
  • Hamo... I'm sure you know, and it was just a turn of phrase... but carb loading is not about loading loads of carbs.  Just switching the balance of your diet without increasing calorie intake.  Apologies if I'm teaching grandmother to suck eggs (not many carbs there)... but just checking.

FBT...  I agree that 170 does sound very high and you need to check it's not picking up your cadence. My watch certainly does if my wristband isn't quite tight enough.  If it's a genuine reading, then my guess is, you're not going to die (well, not for a few decades).  Actually, I've never closely monitored HR post-marathon so I can't help much.

Physiologically, I'm not sure I can add anything.  I think your presumptions are spot on.  I have read that your body is working overtime to repair tissues and flush out waste products and generally get everything back in balance.   Nutrition and water intake are important in this phase... as is sleep.

Are you producing lactate waste products whilst running slowly, but at high HR? It's a great question I've asked myself many times but never knuckled down to researching it.  My guess is as follows.  You always produce them, of course, at any pace... and the LT threshold marks the pace where your body can no longer clear them as fast as they are being generated.  Two possibilities in your post-marathon state...  1/ your aerobic system is shot and so you move into less efficient energy production systems earlier (at lower pace) than you normally would - so more waste per unit of energy.  And 2/ your waste-product clearance system is shot... so you don't clear them as efficiently.   Net result... you are above LT and your HR reacts.  I'm guessing.  But perhaps the answer is 1/ or 2/ or maybe more likely, a combination of the two.  Not much help, I know!
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Definitely agree with the lethargic, HA. I’m lucky enough to still be on holiday - just going a bit stir crazy during the taper. 

+1 for the not overdoing it on the eating front. Got to remember how little (relatively) training you are doing. Eating roughly the same as before will definitely increase glycogen stores. 

Hi Westy. 

5.5M recovery for me this morning. Feeling good in myself, other than a knotty right quad. Not worrying at all, just rolling and stretching it a bit more. 

30182. Yellow on Red start. Purple
    Almost Athletes vest. 
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Macca...cheers for the list of free food, i will definitely avail of some of that. 

SQ...nice MP run, shame about the trees, but you don't need your watch to tell you your looking strong. Hopefully the stretching and rolling do the trick. I'm with you in the taper madness.

Muddy...i'm sure the annual health review went well, with you in mara shape  :D 

NE...i know that in principle, but thank you for the advice, genuinely. I enjoy a bun or 2 carb loading, makes it feel worth it  :D My diet wouldn't be tip top normally if i'm honest, but i try to increase carbs while only slightly increasing calories, ie lots of bread, fruit juice, banana etc (good carbs i'm lead to believe they are called :D )...until the massive chinese i have the night before every race obviously  :D 

6m recovery for me this morning. It was an uneventful run until a bird s**t on me half a mile from the house. It either means i was going to slow, so the bird had an easy target, or its a good omen for London (meant to be lucky and all that carry on)...ill take the latter option  :D 

31281. Yellow on red start. Black and white 'St Peters AC Lurgan' vest, snazzy orange magic shoes  :D 
  • Hi Westy, autumn Mara or Manchester next year ?
  • Muddy   30241
    HA77     1905
    SQ 30182. Yellow on Red start. Purple
    Almost Athletes vest. 
    Hamo 31281
    . Yellow on red start. Black and white 'St Peters AC Lurgan' vest, 
    Macca 31649 Yellow start, Macca on vest 

• Yes Muddy I meant fitness effect in terms of the marathon. I find hammering myself for 26.2 miles soon undoes any gains 2/3 @ MP might have :D

Agree about the build-up part of it Macca. To be clear, I’ve no intention of dropping it from my future plans. It’s just funny how it often feels so hard. Sounds like a good plan for Sunday.

Great attitude towards your MP tester SQ, clearly dodgy GPS though. 

Good to hear from you Westy, glad you’re running again.

Enjoyable 10 miler along the canal this morning for me. Saw the first ducklings of the spring, and several swans are nesting so cygnets should follow soon. Off down to London tomorrow. I'm thinking of doing parkrun on Saturday - any recommendations? Tempted by Bushy as I've never done it, but suspect it will be insanely busy. Mile End is the closest one to me I think.

• runspoonrunrunspoonrun ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Muddy   30241
    HA77     1905
    SQ         30182. Yellow on Red start. Purple Almost Athletes vest.
    Hamo     31281. Yellow on red start. Black and white 'St Peters AC Lurgan' vest,
    Macca    31649 Yellow start, Macca on vest
    RSR        29751 Yellow start, yellow Worcester AC vest
  • NE - probably a good reminder for me re the carb loading. I struggle to get anywhere near the carbs recommended without going over the calorie intake. 87g so far.

With the lethargy tiredness and bird shit it sounds like we are all in the right place.

By happy coincidence I’m working in London today so off to pick up the beer tokens, I mean race no shortly.  I’m not sure if it’s hayfever or a sniffle but I’m sneezing and dripping so fully expect to be treated like a leper at the expo.

RSR - I hear Burgess Park is quick but I guess you are not going to give it full beans tomorrow. 
  • No Macca, I won’t be doing a Jooligan ;) Hope the sniffle clears!
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Hi Westy. Hope you're back at it soon.

I ate a huge plate of fish and chips last night, then proceeded to finish off the rest of kids' left overs and topped it off with a few Easter eggs. I've felt guilty since and have been worrying I've ruined my chances of a good time. Sheez, what a nut case. Maybe I need a joint, or would that just make me more paranoid? I like to think I'm usually quite level headed, but not at the moment.

I've decided to stop taking my resting HR too.

Clubmate is picking up my number tonight so no need to battle across to the other side of London. 

I see Sir Mo is trying to make himself more popular again.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Looks like taper madness is setting in nicely for all VLM folk.

im undecided on Mo, I try to give him the benefit of the doubt but then he goes and does something odd.

im off to the expo tomorrow to try and acquire as many beer tokens as possible.

Muddy   30241
    HA77     1905
    Hamo     31281. Yellow on red start. Black and white 'St Peters AC Lurgan' vest, 
    Millsy       30889 Yellow start , Blue Salisbury vest 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Good luck to all those racing this weekend, I'll be cycing in Somerset instead. This will be my third year in a row not running London having entered it. I won't have a GFA time for 2020 either so all eggs will be in the championship basket.
  • Muddy   30241 Yellow on Red start, tango man or profile pic vest
    HA77     1905
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Full blown taper maranoia everywhere :)

Right, I've added you guys plus Mo and Kipchoge into my Tracker :D

Let the stalking commence ;)

• Excellent Tapering madness everywhere from the London crowd, everyone stuffing themselves (even to the point of nicking their kids dinners). Get those carbs down you Macca!

Go on spoons - do a Jooligan!

Well if you have not guessed I have not died and my HR is almost back to normal, weird stuff going on for 10 days there - I did wonder as NE said if the watch was loose or it had gone bonkers on me.

NE - I think you are right re the LT physiology, combination of the 1&2 (and more)

Oh and Hi Westy.....

• So HA had a big meal and is now going to struggle along with Joe to break 3:30; Macca has contracted the plague; SQ can’t hold 7:30 for MP; Hamo is covered in bird shit and everyone else is just generally tired. All going well in the madhouse  :)

You’re all added to my tracker and unless Sheff United manage to lose to Ipswich by 6 goals on the Saturday then I’ll be out on the course to support. If we haven’t met, please all wear exactly what you’re wearing in your Strava profile picture so I can recognise you. I’ll make sure to shout out your username on here to make it even creepier.
  • Sorry I've been a bit absent guys, been absolutely slammed this week at work, so my usual internet browsing time has been significantly reduced!

I've been reading along to everyone's comments, but not had a chance to respond, so apologies for that. 

I hope I've just about shaken this illness which has been hanging around for quite a while. Won't have been helped by stubbornly racing a 10km on Easter Friday because it was in my schedule and I wanted some kind of confidence boost. Ended up running 35:41, which equalled my PB to the second, but it's pretty irrelevant since I went through 10km in Reading half in 35 mins flat, so not sure what to read into that.  

Will most likely set out at PB pace (2:39), and see what happens. Not sure what to expect though. 

Have written a report on the 10km and pre-race thoughts if anyone wants to read;

https://spragginsblog.wordpress.com/2019/04/25/victoria-park-10km-london-marathon-preview/
  • Absolutely gutted I'm not on the yellow start, looks like it's going to be a right little thread party. Just me and HA on blue by the looks of things. 

Muddy   30241 Yellow on Red start, tango man or profile pic vest
    HA77     1905
    JoeB        1710 Blue start, Clapham Chasers vest, flat cap, trunks
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Joe - Don't worry, I'll keep you company until you strip off to the trunks, then you're on your own.

Just added my start and outfit to the list

Muddy   30241 Yellow on Red start, tango man or profile pic vest
    HA77     1905   Blue start, Green and white Bracknell Forest vest (as per profile pic)
  • It's going to be tough to spot Macca, but I will hunt him down.

Tried some beetroot juice too Hamo/SQ (can't remember who mentioned it). That stuff is foul, foul, foul. It went straight through me. No way is any of that going near me on Saturday/Sunday -they'll be nicknaming me The Purple Streak if it does, and not in a good way.

By the way is that Ham-o as in Ham'n'Eggs or Haim-o as in the band ? I need to know so I can properly wish you luck as you zoom past :)
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Hi Macca - I actually had a place at Manchester and London this year...with thought that I will do one of them easy or defer from one of them. Anyway, have swapped the Manchester place for Manchester half in the autumn, and deferred London till next year. Think I have some way to go in my recovery though, my runs are still a bit painful and I'm only managing a couple of short ones a week.
    Good luck again to all on Sunday. Weather looking ok - hopefully the winds will ease by Sunday morning.
  • Muddy   30241 Yellow on Red start, tango man or profile pic vest
    HA77     1905   Blue start, Green and white Bracknell Forest vest (as per profile pic)
    JCG         28726 Green start, Green Harwell Harriers t-shirt, I'm a small lady.

Hi all, also sorry I haven't been around. Twin babies and that, you know how it is (HA will at least). But importantly, I'm going to make it to the start line. Training has been minimal. Turns out twin babies that don't like sleep + full time work at a new job + husband working away every week + constant baby lurgy (them and me) has a major impact on ability to train. Who knew. But I think I have done just enough to get me around. I'm staying with my sister in London tomorrow and leaving the babies at home, so I may get a chance to read back a bit then.  

Best of luck to everyone! 
  • Sure you will be smashing it soon Westy...Quick recovery back.

Muddy - the beetroot juice is better dinking cold as it takes most of the taste away.. Get it down you!

All you Londoners nervous yet...

• I am shitting my pants FBT :D
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    JCG - great to hear from you and great that you'll be there on Sunday. Well done on squeezing in some training with the twins. Make the most a night off tomorrow. It's a sad state of affairs when the main thing I think about with a night away from babies is getting a good night's sleep. It definitely gets easier.

5 miles with strides a bit faster than I needed to yesterday but I didn't want another slow plod where I felt bogged down. Just a jog to the barber today to lose the mane.
  • Fat Boy TrimFat Boy Trim ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

Muddy - that will be the beet it juice

Ready a few articles a lot is expected this year with probably the greatest elite line up for London (and that's excluding the P&D forum runners)

With almost perfect conditions expected, Paulas WR might go and even Kipchoge might set another new WR...