P&D Spring Marathon 2019

Comments

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Meant to ask if anyone else is following the Mo Vs Geb spat? Seems to be a new twist to the story every few hours.
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Macca...hope the sniffle clears soon, and is nothing serious, just a cunning ploy to get round the expo hassle free.

FBT...glad your alive and kicking and the HR has settled.

Westy...Hi, and hope you continue to recover well.

Joe...Fingers crossed the virus has cleared completely. You'll smash London, a 10k pb equaling time when your recovering from a virus and not a 100% definitely bodes well.

Muddy...Its Ham, as in the ham and eggs variety. I quite like the beetroot shots in fairness, though i would eat a fair bit of beetroot normally. The purple streak made me chuckle  :D 

Coop...fair play to you for giving it a go, and getting any sort of training in with twins. Best of luck in London.

I had the same sort of run as HA77, 5 mile easy with faster than called for strides, which where a mix of tapered legs feeling tired/lethargic so wanted to stretch them and getting fed up with constant easy running. Work, then hair chopped and back packed tonight; all ready for an early start to the airport tomorrow...Must be marathon weekend.
  • Westy - all the best with the recovery.  I enjoyed Manchester, although I struggled to find a pub that didn’t look like the jockey out of Shameless.

Great summary HPR - hope you make it to watch.

JCG - 26.2 should be a doddle after all that. As HA says, enjoy the break.

Joe - hope you have shaken off the illness.

HA - good luck at the barbers, I’m getting the clippers out tonight.

jogged over to Excel yesterday.  Fairly uneventful, aside from feeling rubbish, getting lost and the Garmin throwing a wobbly around Canary Wharf, all standard stuff.

Shouldnt that be purple if it was the Beet It FBT ?

• Fat Boy TrimFat Boy Trim ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

Macca - I will get on photoshop and get the colour changed...

HA - yes Ive been following the spat Mo v Geb. Shame really as they both seem really decent guys in real life.

Met both in real life and both top guys especially Geb. Chatting to all the other runners at the start line and very chilled. Mo was a bit more forcused at the London 10k (I was behind him at the start), and not as chatty.

• HydeparkrunnerHydeparkrunner ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Joe - Hopefully the virus will go in the next couple of days, it would be a real shame if you couldn’t take advantage of the consistent training and shorter distance PBs

JCG - Running a marathon sounds easy after all that!

FBT - that exact picture came to mind to me as well, probably didn’t want to see it while eating breakfast though

Macca- I used to work in CW and run at lunch. Absolute pain to lock in GPS in the middle of the tall buildings and then had some interesting sub 2 minute miles.

Spoons - have you decided on a parkrun yet? Where are you staying?

Yes, the Mo vs. Geb stuff is all very odd, I don’t understand why Mo would decide to waste emotional energy on it just before the race. The accounts just seem to get stranger as well. My gut feeling is to believe Geb, as I can’t 100% trust Mo after his dubious choices of training partners/ coaches/ stopwatch operators. That being said, I’m probably just not aware of the skeletons in Geb’s closet.
  • Fat Boy TrimFat Boy Trim ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

It does seem there are plenty of witnesses and evidence to support Geb, and Geb offered to pay him what he was robed and got the police involved . What more did Mo want from him? I don't understand? For Geb to get his cape on and personally find the offenders ? Mo didn't even pay his bill after they took 50% off.

Also raises more questions on doping that Mo kicked off because the dope coach was not allowed in the hotel. Maybe it was his weeks EPO ...(not that I seriously think Mo is on the gear, but surely you would want to distance yourself from it). I know I do :s (I never got tested after Brighton BTW.)

• george_george_ ✭✭✭
    Popping in to say good luck to all those London runners. I've got your bib numbers noted down and will be cheering on around 14 mile mark. 

Got through 95 miles in Scotland last week in the end. 40 miles day 1 and 2 and then 15 on day three. Had to abort run as my mate had some ankle swelling. Absolutely stunning views across the Cairngorms made the time go really quick. 

PS-What the feck is Mo doing?! If it's him vs Geb, I know who I'm inclined to believe. Very much on Team Kipchoge on Sunday but would be amazed if he threatened his world record  
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Morning all
    Haha the bird shit has got to be a good omen, Hamo. I mean that is impressive aim considering the pace you run at. 
    Canal wildlife sounding good spoons. I’m looking forward to getting back out there for some easy runs in the sun. 
    HA I think Mo is losing the plot. Not only bringing up his dispute with Haille at this point, but also on the travellator at the expo. Can’t see his coach being happy with this: 
    HPR, shouting Sorequads would be genuinely useful. I am sad enough to have Josh on my top, so to know that someone I have actually briefly met is shouting my name could give me quite a lift late in the race. 
    Enjoyed the blog, Joe. Great to read your 2015 blog and consider all the progress you have made and just what is possible with consistent hard training. 
    Oh dear muddy, to be fair to spoons, the original exponent of beet it, he declares it as the ‘devil’s semen’. Worryingly, I quite like it - possibly because it is by the sweetest thing I’ve had in a while. Definitely get Dracula teeth if you swill it around. 
    Good luck JCG. I think you’re amazing to get this far with twins. Hats off to you.  
    Wow George. Sounds epic. Nice one. 

Nigh on five miles easy with 6 x 100m relaxed strides on the artificial rugby pitch. Straight into pre race maringal gains hair cut.  Feels strange not having a rest day in race week, but I’ve followed the plan this far and it has served me well. In addition I’m not at work and my daughter’s at the childminder - so I’m actually doing a lot less walking round than usual. 
    Lots of us on the yellow start. Formerly the FGFA, AKA 99% middle aged receding hair line short shorts and a vest. My happy place. Don’t quite know how we’d coordinate it, but to be good to meet up for a team shot pre race if anyone fancies. 
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Good luck for Sunday London crew. Some great build ups so hopefully some fantastic times get posted. The weather looks decent. Certianly an improvement on last year's suffer fest!
    We're heading of to Stratford-Upon-Avon this afternoon so getting pretty excited about a fun weekend and the marathon on Sunday.
    Enjoy the final couple of days of maranoia all!!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    I guess that's my problem then SQ - certainly nothing receding about my hairline :D
    Good luck all. Sunday's weather looks a lot more promising than last w/e, last year or even tomorrow's so make the most of it.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Good luck to everyone running on Sunday. Hope you all go really well and enjoy it! Conditions look promising-particularly in comparison to last year!
  • Good luck you Londoners....Don't be shit!
  • The Mo/Geb situation is very odd. Bizarre why Mo would even chose to bring it up at this point, and now it’s opened a whole can of worms. Plus his antics on the treadmill that were an injury waiting to happen. I used to be quite a big fan, but the more I learn about him, the less I like “Sir Mo”. Meanwhile Kipchoge is zen AF waiting to tick off another win.

Good job you tested the beetroot Muddy! Glad I’m not the only one that finds it repulsive. I will have to try them cold FBT, good tip.

Good to hear from you JCG, getting any training in with twins to deal with is impressive.

Also good to hear from you Tom, hope all is well.

I’m going to do Mile End HPR as it’s nice and close (I’m staying by Canary Wharf).

Race numbers for me and SQ picked up in record time this afternoon. Couldn’t believe the huge queues to buy New Balance gear, and dread to think what they’ll be like tomorrow!

Off to see a talk on running and writing shortly, featuring (amongst others) Ed Caesar who wrote “Two Hours” and did a lot of the Nike Breaking-2 coverage. Should be interesting.

I see the wind forecast for Sunday has picked up a bit :(

• Have a brilliant time everyone.  Coop.. you can just enjoy the day anyway. Well done.

Last VO2 session for me tonight... a couple of days late. Tough  9m with 3 x 1 mile. I was quite rested as I'd not run since Monday... but happy to come out with 6.27, 6.32, 6.31.  Couldn't have gone quicker though!  That would (very very marginally) be Park Run PB pace.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Another promising session NE. Guessing you’re not at parkrun today then.
    Enjoy Mile End Spoons. Not one I’ve done yet.
    Nice to hear from you Tom, are you running at all or has your injury stubbornly stuck around. More importantly, hope you managed the domestic situation ok.
    Coops: Good to know you’ve managed enough training to get round & enjoy the day in spite of twins. Best of luck. No superhero costume this year then?
    Hope everyone else achieves their goals tomorrow. The training has been awesome and the interim results fantastic. Run strong 💪 

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Hey Coops, good to see you.

VLM posse: Your training has been an inspiration. I hope you all smash your PBs 🙏

Good session there, NE. That one is always a toughie.

Norovirus is in da house 🤢 hubby's been up all night so no parkrun today. Only just woke up 😬. Fingers crossed I won't catch it.

• SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the collective well wishes everyone. Good to to AWC for Shakespeare too. 

Nice to hear from you, Tom. Hope things are on the up. 

Thanks so so much for getting the number, spoons. The various pop up running events sounds great. Is yours the tracksmith one?

Nice session, NE. Especially in the wind. 

Shakeout parkrun this morning, minus the buggy. Very easy recovery pace. Shock horror, I’ve just had a sweet potato. Absolutely delicious, although I do feel very full and will need to keep a close eye on my blood sugar level this afternoon. 

Hope everyone’s logistics are nice and easy. 5:05 coach from cheltenham tomorrow morning for me. Hope to catch up in the yellow pen or at the Red Lion. 
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Best of luck tomorrow to all, I can see there are going to be some stellar performances given kind weather and strong training. Look forward to the race reports. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    All the best for tomorrow folks, hope you all smash it.

Ive had a rotten cold since Brighton, probably due to recent stresses. So only some shortvand easy running. But i kicked off a 3 or 4 week yeovil training block with a weather beaten 20m this morning.
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Just into the hotel now, after an easy 4 mile (should have checked where Fulham where playing before I went though, some crowd they pull round craven cottage on a match day  :D ).

on the phone, so it’s short and sweet, but just wanted to say, good luck to everyone doing London and AWC at Shakespeare tomorrow...here’s to some cracking times and performances. Hopefully see yous about tomorrow
  • Good luck to everyone running London tomorrow and AWC at Shakespeare.

Hopefully I’ll see some of you out on the course. If you hear someone overly enthusiastically cheering you on in an accent that matches Joe’s flat cap, it may well be me.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the well wishes. Good luck London crew. See you at the start Joe. 

AWC - I think you're less in need of luck than the rest of us, even given it's not your A race. I think you'll smash it.

Looking back at my training I should be in pb shape and close to 230 but at the moment feel like I'm no chance. Just need to get out there now.

See you on the other side.
  • Good luck everyone! DBS.

HA - you always get a bit worked up then smash it. You’ll be grand mate.
  • Good luck London and Shakespeare folks and any others enjoy your Sunday runs.

Done the expo, mega crowded. I feel like HA (but not as fast!)
  • Standard pre-race nerves HA, trust your training and that amazing HM PB, and you’ll smash it.

Yes it was the Tracksmith event SQ. Quite interesting, but ruinous for my wallet as they had all their new items for sale :D

I had an enjoyable, if wet and breezy, parkrun at Mile End this morning. Bit lumpier than I was expecting, but I was running easy so all good. Fingers crossed the wind will die down tomorrow - it was “lean in the wind” blustery at Canary Wharf this afternoon!

Good luck everyone, hopefully catch up with most of you at the yellow start, or the Red Lion afterwards. Please do say hi if you see me - I’m notoriously bad at spotting faces in crowds so if I blank you I’m not being rude! :lol:

• Thanks and good luck everyone! 
  • Just adding my best wishes to everyone for tomorrow.

In all the London excitement I forgot to comment on a threadsters impending addition, congrats and best wishes.  I’ll buy you a beer tomorrow, as long as it’s a Pride and as long as it’s in a Fuller’s pub 😂
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Thanks and good luck everyone tomorrow - DBS!

Have had a great day in Stratford with the family today and looking forward to bed now and tomorrow!
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Morning all. Hope the beet it shots are going down well. 

I’m currently on the 0505 from cheltenham. And stationary on the M4. Wild horses on the road and police no idea when it’ll reopen  :open_mouth:

See you in the Red Lion if nothing else!
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Phew. Cowboys have rounded them up. Onwards!