Comrades 2019

Comments

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

SS - thanks for doing this for me it is such a stress reliever, I can move my head to getting to Waterloo and my hotel and organising Gay Ellis for her run way earlier than expected :) Tonight I need to re-invent her compact. Over the course of this week I found a pretty good match in a silver £1.49 plastic credit card holder in one of those discount shops; I have cut down the remaining silver shadow front of the cardboard version from the Boston run and will attempt to glue it in place, currently I am sewing a new loop to go on the belt and will glue that to the back of the case, I am making the loop Velcro detachable so I can take the compact off and do my hair if necessary; I have a small mirror and a bright green comb that I am going to cut down to put in the compact - got to look good in those finishing photos - am contemplating pausing just after the final bend out of the flow of runners to fix my hair prior to going over the line :)

I have also found a couple of small silver zipped bags that I will loop onto my belt too so I can more easily get at my penny chews and anti-chafing potion :D

If this run goes well I am contemplating running as Gay in the K2B in a fortnight - will I be able to get her through 40 miles of The Lake District without chafing my self to death; and if I can succeed at that; would I be able to get her through 57 miles of... :D

Really looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday evening :)

Good luck Max - I need to get that done one day - or buy my way in (which is probably more realistic)

• Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Enjoy London everyone, I'm envious of those taking part, but I shall be watching the BBC coverage.
  • JamoTJamoT ✭✭
    Hi all. Does anyone have some advice on the best parts of London to do hill training in for Comrades? Appreciate that this might appear somewhere in the thread already.

Bit of background. Coming off the back of the Paris marathon - much of my training has been geared towards that and trying to get a Boston qualifying time (made it by c.4 minutes under the new standards so am optimistic). I am just getting back into training now and mostly using a treadmill to try replicate the hills (I did the same for the one and only other time I ran Comrades - the previous up run). Would like to do more training outdoors though if there is something in close proximity that replicates the big hills well enough.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Oops! I've just super-glued two fingers together and I need to drive to work :D
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Debra - what is that hill you keep mentioning?
  • JamoT: where are you in London? Crystal Palace hill is good, if you're in the area (south east London). Or a bit further south, lots of the Croydon area is nice and hilly. I can introduce you to some good routes. And if you're not afraid of trails, then there are loads of options!
  • jkissanejkissane ✭✭✭
    Thanks for organising this Mac3, I've persuaded the two others in the same hotel as me to head along also.

Lingela, Friday 7th June @ 18:30 - https://www.tsogosun.com/lingela

Mac3 + 1
    becca7
    McHilly
    1owrez
    jkissane + 2
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Thanks for organising it Mac3.

Lingela, Friday 7th June @ 18:30 - https://www.tsogosun.com/lingela

Mac3 + 1
    becca7
    McHilly
    1owrez
    jkissane + 2
    Terry48
  • JamoTJamoT ✭✭
    Thanks Debra. I am out in the docklands area - not much in the way of hills I am afraid but don't mind jumping on a train to some of those places.
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    If you can get out to Dorking the Denbies Estate has super Comrades style hills.
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭

Max and Fido, see you at Shakespeare marathon although I suspect you will be way ahead of me.

I am an old friend of the F&B manager at Tsogo Suns, including Lingela.  She said its a great meal offering, maybe I should have asked for mates rates.  Not sure yet if I will be able to make it as there are about 7 other people with me (mostly running it) this time as they all promised they would if I went for my green.

• Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭

Forgot to add, had the pleasure of a text from BA who had cancelled my flight to Jo'burg on the Wednesday night.  Managed to get on the flight slightly later with the same connection to Durban but could have done without that stress in the middle of a meeting.

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Bring them along Peter :)

My morning Joburg to Durban flight evaporated last year, ended up getting in at the other end of the day and missing the meal.

• Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    JamoT - from the Docklands you cannot be too far from Cutty Sark DLR, and Greenwich Park, perfect for traffic free long/short hills on/off road.  But not this weekend :-)  used to be my old training ground. 
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Could those running London share their race numbers? I’m looking forward to a day spectating and tracking! Hope to be a Cutty Sark and mile 22.7
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Somebody with initials IB asked to join the Strava group, anyone we know?

And sorry Terry, but as a stickler for the rules I have ejected your good friend as he has not stumped up here and commented, just kept smugly wiping the floor with us... but not the past two weeks of course; a certain snail decimated him :)

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Mc H I am 52031 :)
  • JamoT - Greenwich Park is good for short steep hills (in fact if you see a red-faced female in a Comrades hat steaming up and down them it might be me...). Richmond Park is good for longer hills, although it’s a bit of a pain to get to from east London - it’s all a bit flat round docklands way.
  • Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    Peter R I will be chugging around at the back with my OH - we *have* entered Abingdon for the autumn so need to get practicing our 11-and-a-bit minute miles to make the cutoff :;)
  • 1owrez said:

Somebody with initials IB asked to join the Strava group, anyone we know?

And sorry Terry, but as a stickler for the rules I have ejected your good friend as he has not stumped up here and commented, just kept smugly wiping the floor with us... but not the past two weeks of course; a certain snail decimated him :)

Ha... I definitely whizzed waaaay past you all that week
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    RR responded to Danni - I'm working on it :)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    You are epic SS - looking like the marathon supremo in those pictures :D
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

London Marathon table for 13 at Jamie Oliver Piccadilly - 7pm on the evening of Saturday 27th April - Note our table only exists for 1h30m!

Restaurant - Pasta Menu

o 1owrez + Soaring Wombat
    o SS + Mr SS
    o thomasclowes
    o Dannirr + 3
    o Debra Bourne
    o McHilly
    o RR + 1

• Yes,our plans have changed so we’re able to join the meal, hooray! My plus 1 is adamant he’s never signing up for Comrades though, so please be kind to him  :)
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Those of you running London tomorrow - have a really great run!

All those meeting at Jamie Oliver's tonight, enjoy your meet up and meal.
  • Good luck Peter/Fido. I was going to wear my Comrades cap but it would probably blow away! Wind is fierce today. Fingers crossed it dies down before the morning.
  • Today has been stressful. Number pickup is tough :P I'll tell the Jamie's lot about it tonight (if you want to hear :P)

Excellent running from everyone recently. This whole 10 in 10 stuff is insane to me.

I assume I'll find out table tonight based on @lowrez s costume ? ;)
  • mordomordo ✭✭✭
    Good luck to everyone running tomorrow 👍🏿
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Landed - purchased tarot cards - they are wombat's actually - popping out to get some snacks next. I am disappointingly dressed in black :(
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Have a great day running tomorrow everyone :)