My Last Run

Comments

• Sounds like a nasty fall JD. How's the head healing? 

I'm feeling really good about tonight's run. I'm not 100% physically at the minute, but I was feeling ok tonight so I decided to lace up the shoes and go for a run. I used the first mile as a warm up and then decided to go for it on mile 2 to see if I could beat my mile PB. Came it at 6:59, shaving 10 seconds off! Really happy to go sub 7 for the first time. I also managed an average pace bang on 8:00 min/mile which is exactly where I need to be for Derby. It's not often everything comes together on a run like that!

Off to the hospital tomorrow for my ECG and should hopefully get my blood test results back too so will hopefully be a step closer to figuring out what is triggering my issues.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice going, alipat! You're obviously feeling better. Good luck with the ECG.

An early 8 miler this morning and was feeling strong so did 5 of those at (or just below) MP. Achilles waited until the cool-down mile to start griping. It had been pretty good until that point. Stupid thing.

• Ouch to the crown and agree on the litter rant JD.  Enjoy the club intervals if you go.

Nice 10 miler Will.  You deserve to wear the t-shirt with pride.  I have a big stack of finisher T-shirts from diverse races - the 3-4 mara ones only get occasional outings so they stay in good condition.  Race T-shirts are useful things - haven't purchased a tech T in quite a while.  Don't get one at every race though and I won't buy one, only take the free ones. 
    I haven't heard a cuckoo here yet but did so when visiting the PIL in southern Germany.

Nice reps enrvuk. 

Yellow is a good T-shirt colour Cal. 

Good mile effort Alipat!  Hope the hospital appointment goes well today and you get answers soon.

Just short of 13 miles yesterday evening.  Did the standard group trot of 6.5 miles but also jogged to the meeting point and back.  Lovely evening for it.  Legs were a lot more tired so I kept the effort down.  Will do that for the next days anyway - recovery from the 10 mile race on Saturday and I have a hill race on Friday.  Pretty packed schedule at the moment with a race each week.  The hill races are not long though and don't take it out of you as much as fast flat pounding.
  • And just short of 9 lunchtime miles.  Bit much on top of yesterday evening's run in particular as it was very warm and sunny which I did not appreciate.

Road kill of the day: a small (red?) deer.  Ran laps and by the third it had been collected.  The dandelions are everywhere in the fields and I had to take care not to swallow any insects.  Saw one stork, heard one cuckoo and some frogs.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Great mile time,alipat.Good luck with your hospital results.

You're putting some miles in,Hazelnut.Is the hill race a straight up and down course.

Cal,you have a love hate thing with your achilles!Nice 8 as well,you should be in good shape for Liverpool mara.

No running today unfortunately,feel very sore and bruised all down my right side.See what tomorrow brings.
  • Good luck with your tooth JD1 and your hospital visit alipat.
    Well done everyone else on their running.

A little sore in the ankles from upping the mileage this week. Only highlight was a near miss having to hurdle a dog lead to avoid an accident!

I did a coastal run and saw some squat, black and white birds with orange beaks, looked them up when I got home and found out they were oystercatchers.

Have lowered my "getting easy miles in the legs" run pace from 10 to 9 now, and I do think it's pushing me in the right direction a little quicker, training wise.

Now trying to work on my running form to mirror the grace of a Kenyan distance runner. I look a broken plodder who has spent too much time getting kicked in the air by heavy-set defenders. It will take time!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    JD - it's more like my achilles hates me. It's like having a disgruntled employee who does the job but grumbles about it constantly.

Linton, not many of us look like Kenyans when we run. I shuffle - my leg lift is woeful. But I shuffle quicker than I used to.
  • JD hope you are feeling a bit better today.  My hill race starts with a 4 km loop with a bit of up and down taking in the local village, then the fun starts with another 4 km running up through a river gorge to the finish on the hill.  Very picturesque but includes some evil steps.  There is drop bag transport and a shuttle bus for getting back down to the start but as it is not too far I generally jog back gently. 

Easy miles are good things Linton.

I am a bit of a shuffler too, I do try to pick my heels up a bit which speeds me up automatically but I have to concentrate and if I am tired then it is back to the shuffle.   

5 miles recovery this evening - much fresher than yesterday and it was a run which felt just right somehow, I was nice and relaxed the whole way round.  A few seconds per mile faster than planned, but just a few.  Saw a swallow or similar - the first one this year.  
  • You seem to have rather a fast shuffle going on, Hazelnut!  I hope your race goes well.

And Cal, with some of your times the shuffle seems to be a decent Methodist. 

I was actually born in Kenya. There the link ends I'm afraid.

Just a 5K for me tonight, in 27 mins+. I enjoyed the relative effort as I needed to run a bit of frustration /stress out of my system. I have suddenly started listening to lots of heavy metal. God knows why, but I'm enjoying it. I'm out on the reserve guiding in the morning so hoping for some good spots. If no birds show up I will just put Metallica on. 

I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I can also recommend Megadeth, along with Disturbed and Rammstein. I don't use music when I run but it's good for warming up to.
    Six miles plus some strides today. Egyptian goslings are almost full grown!
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Linton,not many hobby runners run like Keynans,especially me.l'm trying to make an effort to pick my knees up,but when you're tired though you do revert to type.

Good luck in your race,Hazelnut,sounds like a decent race.Bet the scenery is breathtaking.Keep getting thoughts of Julie Andrews bursting into song.

Will/Cal,don't think I've listened to music when I've been running,like your choice of music though.

Felt a better today,managed just over six miles,out in HMP back in MP.Noticed two ducklings separated from their mothers,happens every year,very sad to see.

• Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Apparently, Cal, the Egyptian Geese (remember they're actually a Shelduck) still haven't got over being brought to England from Africa. Their genes still tell them to lay eggs in January,  as they would in Africa, and so that's why their goslings/shelducklings are so big so early. Glad they're doing well.

I never listen to music while actually running, JD1, but have been so pissed off by Brexit (let's not get into it) that Radio 4 has been replaced by Metallica and Motley Crue on my drive to and from work. It was the Netflix rockumentaries that started it all! Will have a listen to your recommendations,  Cal.

My first Parkrun for a while this morning and chose Colney,  which is all trail and includes 2 ascents of dog shit hill. Legs felt stiff on the jog there, but I went pretty hard from the start and ended up with my 2nd best course time - 25:17. I was very happy with that as it was really windy. Also, I passed about 10-12 people on each ascent of the hill and so am definitely rocking a good uphill style. Spot of the day was a Carrion Crow living up to its name by munching on what looked like a baby Blackbird. It's a tough world out there. 

Happy running all!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That makes sense, Will - none of the other birds have young yet.

Visited Banstead Woods parkrun today - it is famous for its bluebells this time of year and they are indeed spectacular. A lot of tourists were visiting for the same reason, including a group from my local parkrun, so I was able to get a lift home. The park also  has some lovely wooden Narnia sculptures.
    Quite a steep hill on the course, which is all trail, so not my fastest time, but happy enough with 26:04.
  • Good work on the hills Will! There's something extra satisfying about overtaking people on a climb. Well as long as they don't come flying past you on the way down! 😂

Well done Cal. There's bluebells everywhere around here now. Definitely one of my favourite times of the year when we start to get a bit of colour in the world again.

Medical update from me: 
    My bloods and ECG all came back clear which is obviously good news. However, on the flip side the doctor now suspects the issue may be brain related. So I am now being referred to a neurologist for further testing. I'm not going to lie, I'm a tad terrified but I'm trying to stay positive and put it to the back of my head whenever possible for now.

On the plus side...with my heart being given the all clear it means I can get back to my training plan for Derby. I went to Victoria Parkrun this morning in Leicester. Conditions were pretty abysmal so I was amazed that we had a turnout of just shy of 400 people. Despite the blustery and wet conditions I managed a new PB, coming in at 22:55 which I was chuffed with. I got speaking to a couple that were visiting from Sweden whilst waiting to start. They're only in the country for 3 days and they decided to spend one of their mornings running around a park in Leicester in the wind and rain. Kudos to them! 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done on the PB, alipat. Definitely scary about the brain...hope it's not that. Kind of an important organ.
  • Just a mix of threes, fours and five milers. (I'm trying to stick to my half marathon plan and not do my ankles in again).

Saw a couple of carp roll in the moat which skirts Sandwich town, a sign spring is here (Getting the rods out next weekend!). No other nature though. Lots of wisteria out, very pleasant.

Did my local pegwell (very flat) parkrun in 22:09, came 25th. Have done 10 now so will help out at one of the next ones. There was a guy running in a fireman's outfit, as a practice for London marathon today, Which I thought was brave. Did a measured 6:50 mile mile on one of my evening runs. My neighbours drove past me and now think I run hours at that pace. I quickly told them I don't!

New Saucony trainers arrived in the post today, it will be interesting to see if they help at all. Going to bite the bullet and go long Monday evening.

Have a good Sunday.
  • Interesting music choices for running and bird watching.

Shame about the ducklings and the baby blackbird..  Keeping an eye on progress in the stork nests in the village - they had a great year last year, in 2017 many nestlings froze.

Good parkrun result Will - how are your legs feeling now in general 3 weeks post mara? (if I remember the date right?)

Nice surroundings for a parkrun for you too Cal, and a good time for the course by the sounds of it.

Good news on the heart alipat - fingers crossed firmly for you regarding the neurological side.  Well done on your parkrun PB!

Enjoy the new shoes LTT. And another pr well done.

My hill race went well - I bettered my course PB by nearly 1.5 minutes which was surprising.  I initially thought I had taken nearly another minute off and the timing had been messed up as my watch was showing 48:57 against the chip time of 49:46, but I now think that it was due to having autopause turned on - the course goes through a river gorge and the watch likely lost GPS in between  and autopaused.  Should turn that off.  Was fourth in my age group missing the podium by nearly a minute this time.  Third place overtook me on the evil steps and I couldn't go with her and also got stuck in traffic on the narrow path.  
    Right calf a bit grumbly since need to watch that.

Now stuck in front of VLM...  Conditions don't look too bad.   My long run can wait for a bit.  

Have a good Sunday.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Linton, enjoy the new shoes. One of life's little pleasures, for runners. Good parkrun time.

Great job in the hill race, Hazel.

I did a hill run today - 13 miles, which included 6 miles-worth of laps around Streatham Common. Haven't run there for some time and it's still brutal. I had in my mind to go a couple of miles further, but when it came down to it, I wasn't in the mood. I didn't sleep all that well and after the laps of Streatham Common, I felt pretty tired and had a few grumbly bits.
    I've just remembered I have a 5 mile trail race on Wednesday evening, for the club... probably not my best decision, signing up for that. But hey ho.
  • Missed thst post from you alipat, just want to say good luck.
  • Good hill running Cal. 

Out for my longish run (15 miles) post VLM tracking yesterday afternoon.  A bit of DOMS from my hill race was troubling my calves so I kept the effort/pace down initially to let everything warm up.  I gradually increased the speed but had to considerably around the 10 mile mark due to a short / sharp hail and rain shower so as not to get too cold - my hands turned a pretty shade of red-green nonetheless.   Kept that up to 20k then jogged the undulations back home. 
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Well done on your PB,alipat,and fingers crossed for your tests.

Great result again,Hazelnut,sure you'll get on the podium soon for your age category .

Linton,well done on parkrun,enjoy your new trainers.

That sounded tough,Cal,it'll take a lot out of you.Good luck for Wednesday trail race,should have good weather.

Just over 13 miles on the canal,spotted a very exotic duck on the canal,it had a red tuft on its head and only small,thought it maybe a Mandarin.Checked my bird book but don't think it is.If it's looking for a mate it'll be looking for a long time.

• enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    You take a few days to booze and play board games and so much goes on!

Alipat, sorry to hear your concerning news, hoping it's something a lot more straight forward, but I can imagine it's quite troubling right now. Good to see you enjoying your running in the meantime. My last games weekend was in Leicester coincidentally and I ran my best Parkrun so far, nearly 3 mins slower than yours :-) Nice run!

Great hill running and a very nice long run Hazel. I'd have been looking for the bus stop when the rain came! I admire your fortitude and stamina. Hope the calf ungrumbles.

Linton, good running and enjoy your new footwear.

Cal, congrats on ensuring I never run around Streatham Common, good running all the same. Good luck in your trail run. Seems to be a week for personal bests all round.

Since my last post I did some Primrose Hill sprints, while people generally enjoying themselves looked bemused. I did 5 sprints and jog downs, 3 times. Something that hard has to be doing me good, right? Tonight I tried to blow away the remnants of Imperial Stouts and did an easyish 40 mins with the usual uphill finish.
  • Some good long ones there, Hazelnut and JD1. The punk duck sounds interesting but I'm short on ideas. Maybe an exotic escape? Sure it wasn't a grebe?

Sounds like you worked off the beers nicely, enrvuk. Got to let your hair down and crack the Cluedo out occasionally, eh.

Sunday morning saw my son Nye go Kipchoge style at Junior Parkrun to smash his PB  by 31 seconds. Me and my Dad were left chasing dust! We then crashed at home to admire the real Kipchoge - what an athlete. Effortless grace.

I think I probably ran in a similar style tonight, whilst out on a recce for new routes. I ended up enjoying a very pleasant 7+ miles at a half decent pace. I managed to find a few bumps and the legs felt not bad at all. I have felt rather stiff in the quads and the hams, Hazelnut,  3 weeks post-mara. It seems to be easing off though and I think I'm pretty much ready to start decent weekly mileage again. 
    The air was richly fragrant tonight, with the first cow parsley and white campion coming into bloom and glowing in the dusky half-light. Also, a big whiff off ganja from some kids hanging out under the river bridge I crossed. It brought the Red Hot Chilli Peppers to mind. 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Sounds like your son has well and truly caught the bug, Will!
    Hazelnut - good job on your run despite the hail. I've been caught in hail before and it hurts!
    Nice hill reps, enrvuk.
    JD, could it be a pochard, perhaps?

Legs are still sore from Streatham so I did a slow 6 mile plod this morning. Off to see Avengers Endgame a bit later.
  • I like the idea of playing board games enrvuk.  Good work on the hill sprints.

Well done to your son Will.  Would agree you can start in on the mileage 3 weeks post-mara but rebuild gradually.  Bumps and trails will do you good after the tarmac pounding.

Enjoy the film Cal.

Late 5 mile recovery for me yesterday having spent a bit too much money in town (trousers for various outdoor activities, managed to stay out of the running shop even though OH was taking forever in an outdoor shop just two doors down).  OH accompanied me and my legs were still pretty knackered from the previous day's efforts so the pace was nice and sedate.  Lots of fields of oilseed rape this year, pretty overpowering scent.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That stuff is bad for pollen isn't it, Hazelnut?
    An easy 4 this morning - legs a bit better than yesterday. Not sure they'll be ready for the trail race this evening but eh, I'll do my best.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Games included Catan, 7 Wonders, Istanbul and Puerto Rico if anybody has heard of them. Sorry no Cluedo Will.

Impressive running from your Son Will. I hope you’re comfortable being number 2 in the household! Good to see the recovery coming along.

Did you enjoy the film Cal? Hazel nice running shop avoidance. What’s the secret?

Having read that diminishing sense of smell is linked to dementia I’m pleased to see such impressive olfactory skills here. I can confirm mine is okay after a big bunch of asparagus yesterday.

Did a repeat of the 3x1k intervals last night, brought the target down and pretty much nailed it. Looks like the work has paid off a little already. I’m currently doing jury service, which has mainly consisted of sitting around waiting.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Wow, the trail race was tough! It went into bits of Wimbledon Common I'd never visited before and featured some really steeps ups and downs and a lot of lump dried mud and leg-sapping gravel. I got around in about 44 and a half minutes which I'm fairly pleased with, though I think the winner did it in half the time. Finisher prize was a mug and a chocolate bar (I chose a Snickers, which I've just eaten).
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

How's your calf Hazelnut?

Will,congrats on your son smashing his PB,he seems to enjoy his running.

Great intervals,enrvuk,they're tough but they make you a better runner.

Great trail race,Cal,gravel is one of the most leg sapping things to run on.I entered a 10k last year and they were saying great PB potential,but they didn't mention the half a mile of gravel we had to run on.

Didn't have time to go to club intervals,so I did my own on the school sports field.Did pyramids,200m,400m,600m,800m,1000m x 2 and then back down at 5k pace.Finished with some hill sprints

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done, JD. A rest day for me today, which I need after yesterday. Ankles are fine (I rolled both of them on one part of the course that had a lot of hard dried pitted mud). My official time was 44:25 so a second quicker than Garmin. I'm OK with that given the terrain and my inexperience on that sort of surface.

This section was actually the worst, though it's inocuous enough. It's known as the toast rack and is a very thin gravel track that goes up for a long stretch. It isn't steep, but it just goes on, and it's all gravelly. My calves were completely fried on that stretch - I did a 10:15 mile there, my slowest on the course. I wanted to go faster, but I just couldn't. Fortunately I recovered to run an 8 minute final mile once we got onto better ground.