Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    SBD - GEAR 10k in King's Lynn, so very handy for me.
    OO - enjoy the rest - good plan for Sunday.
    GD - a popular plan too :)
    GMcracking weekend. The 10k is a week on Sunday and my target is sub 39. I ran the old course on a solo training run in 39:03 a month or so ago.
    nicko - good luck to your mum.
    BikeIt - great to hear from you. Amazing that you have managed to keep going albeit with reduced mileage and frequency considering, and staggering that you are still aiming for Comrades this year. All the best.
    Did an old 10k training session standard this morning - 3x2M. Very pleased with the splits, although I did gradually slow down a bit - 6:07/6:05, 6:10/6:12 ad 6:15/6:20. 11 miles in all.
  • Oddly rewarding run today: I am in Belgium (beer, chips and mayo) but it is pan flat where I am so I caught a train out for 15 minutes and then ran back pretty much along the same route the train took (both follow the canal) and the scores on the doors were 9 miles in 70 minutes so 7:48 pace. Often you get no idea of how far or fast you are running, today with the train ride out it seemed to be a tangible distance to run back. Also, the fastest I have run over any distance since Maidenhead 10 last Easter and it was really not so hard. Things are looking up  .
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Hi Bike It - seems like yesterday. Lots of Boston talk round here but Comrades is still the greatest race. Good luck - just getting to the start in one piece, singing Shosholoza and taking on the hellish challenge is something to savour. 

Not sure if I will be in Chandos but given than in recent years people have turned up and understandably not recognised their faceless online pals, can I suggest upstairs at the very far end of the bar (like the couple of years?).

Going for a make or break session with the scary physio at 0800 tomorrow. Since I cannot defer LM I might just turn up and jog/walk/crawl round to enjoy the sights and sounds for the last time.  But only if it's not likely to lead to long term trouble. I did ask LM if I could defer but they refused, citing their "fair approach" to entries.  Laughable!
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

Hope you get the green light from the physio Poacher.

Good Belgium miles PMJ.

A good session there Gul - looking good for the 10K.

Good to hear from you Bikeit - sounds like you've had a torrid time - good luck with the Comrades preparation.

I need to do Comrades sometime - may be 2020 - what do you need to do to prepare properly?

Good running nicko - don't worry too much about the speed.

Hope you can get the mojo back Birch.

Hope you got the run in Gerard.  What choices would you have for the Autumn marathon?

That's a good plan G-D.  Don't forget the power of the taper. 

A good 10K OO - you may surprise yourself at London.

A steady 9 miles this evening at 7:30 pace.  Seem to have recovered pretty quick from Boston.  Just need to keep it easy for a few weeks and make sure I don't pick up any injuries.  Quite keen to get some short distance races in over the next few weeks.  Did a tempo session yesterday with 8K @ 6:24 pace which felt quite comfortable so a race or two would be good!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good run PMJ and looks very enjoyable 
    I do hope you can make it Poacher you’d be a great miss. Good luck with the physio.
    Very Speedy 10k there Gul 🏃🏼‍♂️

I got bored resting and went for a 5 mile run.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    PMJ - good progress. Enjoy the food & drink!
    Poacher - hope the physio is giving you good news even as I write this.
    SBD - recovering nicely. Any races in your sights yet?
    OO - take it easy :)
    Carb-loading today, anyone?
    No run for me today as I took Miss GD the younger to see Avengers Endgame last night (or should that be this morning?!) and got home around 3:40am :(
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with physio, poacher. 

Solid progress, pmj.

Sounds promising, SBD but wise to just hold off a little. 

Gul, that must be very confusing getting home at a time more closely linked to your getting up time!!

Final weigh in this morning was 11,1 so about 70.5kg which I'll take. It's about 6 ounces up on Yorkshire weight just before carb load. 

Im 100g of carbs into my loading, aiming for 500-600 today and tomorrow. Feeling pretty stuffed right now though. 
  • Poacher - really hope you can make it, even if it a slow run round to enjoy the atmosphere to soak up the adulation of the crowd. A trip out for Carmen Miranda again? Have got you plugged into the tracker and as it's done by first name alphabetically you're just ahead of Kipchoge at the mo.  ;)

Great to hear from you BikeIt - fond memories of catching up before Comrades previously so hope you're able to do it again.

Birch - where are you going to be standing to support on Sunday? Presume you'll be coming along to Chandos for a quick half afterwards.

Hope all the London folk are feeling good about Sunday - forecast looks encouraging at the moment. How was the Expo?

As well as the parkrun last Saturday I also did a track cycling taster session at the Velodrome in Manchester. Great fun and for any wannabe Chris Hoy / Vicky Pendleton out there, it's well worth giving a go. First ever time on a fixed wheel bike which was rather disconcerting and nearly resulted in a pile up with younger Lorenzito when I came down the banking in front of him and started to freewheel. 

Couple of gentle runs for me in the last few days - seem to have picked up a slight niggle on the base of my foot which has some hallmarks of PF (sorer in the morning and then feels OK during the day) but as it's more in the middle rather than on the heel I'm not so sure. Was halfway through a 4 mile commuting run on Tuesday and it was starting to feel sore - I then had to stop to cross the road and by the time I started again the soreness had completely disappeared. Very strange.

Hoping to get back to sub-20 on Saturday and may well also give the 5000m a go at the Surrey Vets League fixture on Monday.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - my chum who did a brilliant job of supporting me in 2015 is again in charge of logistics, so hoping to be at (roughly) 5, 8, 18, 25 miles.  The caveat being that Birch junior will (hopefully) be a lot faster than I was, so less time for getting from point to point.  Unlikely to make Chandos (sadly) . . .   
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    DT19: 6oz??  How accurate are your scales?!

6 miles with some strides for me today.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Thanks all....fizz said what I expected which is medial ligament damage, perhaps caused by running 85 laps x 500 metre laps with camber and tight turns to complete that last mara in Liverpool.  Heading south tomorrow anyway, heart says "Go on, if you can finish a Comrades uprun with almost no training and only one working cruciate, you can jog/walk round LM". Head says: "M8 you are a total plonker even to consider this".  If I turn up it will in civvies - imagine DNF-ing and having to get back to The Mall in a dress with a basket of fruit on your head.

But mainly, good luck to all who really are running, get the cotton wool ready. Don't do anything silly, enjoy the day and above all: DBS.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Well spotted Joolska, DT is what's known as a "weight weenie" in the world of expensive bikes  :D
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That's a shame, Poacher re sunday.

They are fitbit aria scales so weigh to the ounce then automatically send the day, time, weight and bodyfat reading to my fitbit app on my phone so i have a full record going back over 2.5 years. 

Just had a light sports massage. Easy 3 in the morning then on road to London for 9ish. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Just back from the Expo. Resisted most of the merch save for a graphic t-shirt.
    Had a good chat with the Maurten guys. They’re doing a £10 sample pack comprising 2 gels, 2 sachets (160 and 320) and a bottle.

Bagged a few freebies, mainly nutrition stuff and bought some new socks from Compressport.

Number says I’m on red start, zone 1.

Just a 3 mile tickle tomorrow and that’s it. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    same here, 3 easy first thing then off to London.

My weather anxiety levels have just moved from happy and chilled to concerned, having just seen Saturdays forecast! 

I'm not going to take maurten gels in race, last twice ive tried them, the 3rd gel has really buggered my stomach. Reverting to the high5 aquagel that has done a readonable job last 2 maras. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Saturday's weather looks interesting - but Sunday should be fine!

Stay calm everyone!

DT - last time I ran off the FGFA (2013), they had 2 pens, with the division at c. 3.00.  It's easy to move between the pens once they walk you on to the main road - so you can start were ever you feel comfortable.  I started mid pen 2 in 2013 and it took me 40 seconds to cross the line.

10K recovery run tonight.

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Got all the London runners added to the tracker now - weird to see real names! Hope the last minute maranoia isn't making for some rash decisions.

Enjoy a last big day of carbing tomorrow and hope to see some of you in Chandos; spectator logistics permitting. Good luck!

Back to track tonight, feeling more back to it. 3 mile warmup, drills, 12 x 500m; kept them all within a second of 1:40.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I skipped the expo but my daughter collected and got me 5 high5 gels for £5. I also had a massage y/day which was mid range in severity. Must say my legs are feeling good now :) I’ll swim today and do a family parkrun at Victoria Dock tomorrow. 
    Train at 5pm tonight. We upgraded to 1st class so will take some willpower to resist a G&T.

Good luck guys and see you in London 

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Thank for all the kind greetings Everyone

Hi SBD - you asked about Comrades preparation.
    - Make sure that you can run on any gradient between +/-10% with constant effort, by varying your speed
    - Make sure you have effective technique for running up and down hill
    - Training plans are similar to marathon:
             more than 2 to 2.5 months out - train as per marathon with emphasis on speed
             within 2-2.5 months - start pushing the volume of the long and medium long runs.
    -  Learn the course very well so that you know how fast you will be running and where
    - Decide a pace strategy - you will need to consider planned walk breaks

Admin-wise, the entries are now selling out very fast so be aware of the opening sometime in Sept/Oct.  Popular hotels also sell out fast so book early if you have a strong preference ( and the deposit if mainly non-refundable).  Flights have high availability as generally it is not a popular time to come to SA and many runners have grabbed bargains by waiting for sales and price variations.

2020 is a down run; 2021 is also a down run to celebrate the 100years founding of the race (greater capacity in Durban finish)

Join us over on the annual Comrades thread when you are more certain
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - good race weight - don't overdo the carb-load!
    Lorenzo - I think I would crash all by myself in a velodrome. Hope the foot is okay.
    Birch - hope you can keep up with Birch jnr!
    Poacher - sorry to hear the news was what you suspected. If you do decide to go with your heart on Sunday, please listen to your head too and bail out if you need to.
    GD - glad you got the socks sorted.
    nicko - nifty track work.
    OO - sounds like the prep is going well.
    Bike It - no chance of training for Comrades till I retire then!
    9 steady miles this morning.
    Good luck to all the London crew - not long to go now!
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Good luck to all in London on Sunday! I will head upstairs in Chandos to hopefully meet some of you.

Hello Bike It! At the moment I don't plan on running anything further than a marathon but Comrades does intrigue me and would be the only longer race I would consider!

Slowly getting back to full training. First session on Tuesday of 8 x 3 mins off 90s recovery. First 2 at 10k pace (6.00) and last 6 at 5k pace (5.49-5.44) pretty pleased with the consistency. Will do 6 progressive miles tonight and 12 tomorrow to make 32 for the week.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Stevie - tidy training session.
    A bit breezy out there! Glad VLM is not today. Did another 8 steady miles this morning including the new 10k route for next Sunday - watch only made it 6.01 miles! Will go by markers on the course I think.
    All the best to everyone racing in London tomorrow. Tracking seems to be only by app now, so unless the one on the website reappears I'll have to wait for the results. Hoping to see some great ones.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Oh well, adult decision made after Orpington parkrun showed how bad the injury is. DNS. Reculer pour mieux sauter. Poachette has made the same decision so we are a family of  consistently consistent crocks. 

Good luck everyone else. Not long to go.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Really sorry to hear that Poacher. Hope you and Poachette can recover quickly
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Sorry about the DNS Poacher; sensible decision though.

Very windy here in Greenwich park this morning; watching them struggle to put up the marquees etc! Looking to calm down this afternoon and look settled for tomorrow.

The Mall finish line was looking great with all the flags yesterday - seeing that and the "800m to go" markers reminded me how fantastic the feeling is when you get to the Palace and turn to the finish.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Sensible decision Poacher.

Good luck DT, OO. G-D and everyone else (Speedy?) for Sunday.

Hope the wind holds off and you all have great race.  Don't be greedy but DBS!

• Poacher - sorry to hear you'll be a DNS tomorrow but sounds like a sensible decision. Hope you and Poachette get back to running soon. Are you going to be spectating / joining the crew in Chandos afterwards?

Gul - are you not able to download the VLM tracker app? 

Stevie - get your name down for Comrades. You'll love it!

Guildford parkrun for me this morning - a moderately undulating course and a stiff breeze meant it was going to be tough to go sub-20 but just over 20:30 showed that I've still get some way to go. Have set my target for the summer of going sub 19:30.

Looks as though the wind is settling down for tomorrow so fingers crossed for everyone - see in you upstairs at Chandos to hear all the tales
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Good luck to everyone tomorrow. Is there a definitive list of bib no's for tracking purposes? 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
     Very best of luck to all VLMers tomorrow. Be brave but not greedy, run to effort not to pace, and don't be shit.  A list of numbers would be a huge help!
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    PS: Poacher and Pochette, I feel your pain. Had to take a very late DNS decision 3 years ago and it sucks. Heal well.