Sub 3h15

Comments

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

OO - 31648
    G-Dawg - 34977
    DT - 31745

• GM / Jools - I've got the following in my tracker. Am I missing anyone?

Speedy Goth: 768
    DT: 33721
    G-Dawg: 34977
    OO: 31648

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    It's pretty breezy in central london. Currently wandering around science museum. At least london is a well built up place so if it is a bit windy there's much more protection than in the races many of us have done in the wind sych as Brass monkey. 
  • Stevie's right; I'm wrong. DT's number is indeed 31745. The other number belongs to a certain crocked northerner. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for Poacher and Poachette. You sir will be a great miss tomorrow.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Poacher - a tough but sensible decision.
    Lorenzo - app download to apple and android only not windows I believe. Live results page is going to be on the website from 7am apparently though.
    I hope the wind has died down in London - still a bit breezy here but not too bad. Good luck everyone!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Bike it welcome back and don't be a stranger
    Poacher sorry to hear you can't toe the line today

All the best to the Londoner's today, hope you have a great run, at work so can't watch it unfortunately !

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    C’mon you lot! DBS, JFDI etc etc.

After 13 LMs on the trot it’s odd to be having a lie in on this particular day. Present in spirit if not body.

OO i would come up to town but can barely walk so even getting to the pub would not exactly speed recovery. See you at the Coastal I hope.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    First time watching LM live on tv. Observation: pacemakers add nothing to the mix. Get rid of them and have a proper race in which athletes have to make decisions. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Totally agree, Poacher.  You could barely see Kipchoge for most of that race because he was behind his barrage of bouncers!
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Like designing a super fast car with a small fuel tank and letting Lewis Hamilton slipstream behind it for the first 50 laps. Ridiculous, and the antithesis of racing.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Really good front running by both winners though. Kipchoge = peerless
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Exactly - without the pacemakers he is a dream to watch.  He put his foot down and went!
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Great atmosphere out there today. Spectating is hard work though!

A few great results from the forumites but I won't steal the thunder by posting times!
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

Exciting following everyone on the tracker - clearly everyone is enjoying the beer too much to report in!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Lovely time in the pub with oo, gdawg, lorenzo, speedy, nicko and Stevie.

The race...1.29.30 first half was plan then go for it. Went through in 1.29.24 feeling like hard work then some magic happened. Came in 2.57.56 for a 2 min pb and about 50 sec negative split. Very pleased.  
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    DT - brilliant racing. Cracking time. Well done. 
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    DT - Excellent performance and result. You nailed it!
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Awesome, DT. Beautiful pacing and fair play on keeping the faith when the going felt tough!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    We’ll done we’ll done DT you were superb today. But I think I drank more than you. We had a cracking time in Chandos. Nice to catch up with you all especially Speedy who ran a most impressive ladies time.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Great to meet everyone in the pub, and great results from all. 

Mrs Brooke senior came in just under 7 hours very comfortably, she spent the 2nd half literally dragging her friend so it was a long tough day!

Well done the runners; the marathon brought out the best in London once again.
  • Apologies for not reading back. The thread got away from my in my peak week then there was never time to read it all back. Lovely to see a few of you in Chandos afterwards. 

I had a tough day at the office. Training suggested 7s would be on. Possibly faster as I was diagnosed with low ferritin three weeks ago and the iron tablets are starting to kick in. All on schedule until 17 except for a blister I noted from mile 10. I may have subconsciously altered my gait as from 17 onwards the calf of the opposite leg was on the verge of cramp. I had to back off the pace to hold it at bay. Aerobically it was beyond comfortable, but I just didn't dare go any faster. Sure enough, after stopping to get my bag then starting moving again, the cramp came and I ended up in the medical tent. At least they fixed my (disturbingly large) blister (with a scalpel) while I was in there. 3.07.20, and a very unpleasant last 9 miles. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Over the moon with a new PB today. Chopped 4 mins off my Chicago time and scored 3.01. 

Decided to just go for it as the weather is rarely in my favour. Have never felt so strong in the final 10k before. 

Brilliant meeting up with the gang in the pub, congratulations to all, you did great today. Will do a full report at some point. For now the beers continue... B)
  • Well done all today - great to catch up in the pub.

As expected, while it was great fun spectating for the first time and seeing such an amazing selection of runners from the elite runners to those who were doing it for the first time in memory of a loved one and who were battling through early pain at 12 miles, I was nevertheless a bit envious and really hope that I can sneak a GFA place again next year.

Enjoy the rest and celebrations!!
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Great thread day.

Metronomic pacing DT, a great PB and negative split.  You must be really pleased.

I thought the pace was slipping in the second half OO but that was a big finish to bag the Sub 3.  Thoroughly well deserved - that must feel good.

Excellent PB G-D.  To feel strong in the final 10K is testament to the training and the sensible early pacing.

A tough day Speedy but you toed the line and almost pulled off a good time if it wasn't for the blister.  Hope the medics sorted you out.

Well done to your Mum nicko - that's mightily impressive and she must be very proud.

I assume the beer tasted good!  I was on Parenting duty at Eton Dorney so not able to join you all.  Have been catching up with the TV coverage - it looked like great conditions.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I saw your splits slowing, speedy, and did wonder. The blister sounds horrible!

Wow, what a fantastic PB, gdawg. I'm delighted for you, especially considering London is a slower course than Chicago :)

And as and when oo shows up: awesome!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    great day spectating & supporting yesterday . . . .   

DT19 - really chuffed for you - PB & neg split - doesn't get much better B) 

Speedy - sounds a tough day - well battled . . . .     

GDawg - great work - a deserved reward for "going for it" - sometimes we have to ignore the "don't be greedy" mantra & make a judgement that it might just be our day :) 

Poacher - sorry to hear about Poachette - injury ?  
  • I really didn't think the blister was an issue. I certainly wasn't deliberately compensating for it. I'd actually forgotten about it until we took my shoes and socks off in the medical tent, and there it was! It hadn't popped, which was probably a good thing. It was like a big balloon on the side of the ball of my foot. She did a good job of fixing it. The dressing fell off this morning and it looks like nothing now, though it does sting somewhat. I think I'd better get me some of those disposable scalpels in case I need to self operate in my 100k.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Fantastic running from everyone yesterday and great to meet you all in the pub!

Had a great day spectating, Kipchoge is a different animal looked so smooth at 39k when he came past us, massive contrast to how Mo looked!

Looking forward to all the race reports!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Well I've emerged from a deep and somewhat drunken slumber and now traveling back north. I more or less ran to feel yesterday, starting strong, wobbling a bit in the middle then accelerating again from 18 miles. It was when the 3 hour pacer caught me that I decided to dig in and try to stay on the back of the pack. Then when we got to about 22 miles I saw the pacer was struggling and had to power past him and push on. Just like in Seville I felt strong at the end and took energy from passing many runners in the last few miles. 6:39 for mile 25, 6:27 for mile 26 then a sprint down the Mal at sub  6 pace. Sub 3 was really unexpected and I spent much of the race waiting for the legs to start failing me. Only in the last mile did it get really uncomfortable and by then I knew they would make it to the finish so just pushed them to the max. 
    It was really good seeing folks in the pub and I was out drinking until after 7. I'm thinking what made it all come good on the day, my 1st sub 3 since 2014 and I'll do a separate post on that. As always the support and encouragement from this thread was a great help.