Sub 3

Comments

• TickTockTickTock ✭✭✭
    Thanks CD

Crab - this year hopefully you won't be required to be DanA's carer by giving him a back rub and kind words in closing miles.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Harumph!  Arrived at Kings Cross and the tube was closed off for reasons unknown.  Yomped up to Euston and got the tube there.  Got to Expo and the QR code in the VLM email had vanished - it was there last night!  Had to download a new email system on the phone to get it back!  No more drama before Sunday please.  :|
  • CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    Good luck to all of yousins doing VLM. Hope the weather and buildup is kind to you !

I've managed two 10 min/mile runs and a tooth extraction since Boston, so am ready to rock and roll again :) 

Have just entered the illustrious Charles river marathon in Boston in September. Yay !! now I get to train in 30 degree heat all summer instead of -10c !

The course is 10 (!!!!!),pan flat, laps  next to Harvard 7 am . Obviously, I'm doing it for the sights, atmosphere and crowds and not swayed at all by the (lack of) terrain and in no way going to over obsess on getting over the finish line in less than 180 mins :)
  • That sounds like my kind of weather and race Cartman!

Hope you had a good night out Crab.

Technology eh Wardi? Glad you got it sorted.

Cold, wet and windy here this morning - hope it goes through before tomorrow as forecast.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • I have a pen and the routes in front of me! 
    Which start is champs too please?

TR - all alright at your end? Hope so 
  • Champs seems to be blue start 
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Looking forward to following along tomorrow. Very exciting. 

Hope Hannah buggers off before the start as is currently forecast and everyone gets the results they deserve. 

I wish no bad luck for all of you running and looking forward to the reports that will follow.

Go for it! Good training deserves a good race so leave it all out there.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Best of luck VLMers. Every step you take, every move you make, I'll be tracking you...

Seriously, run to effort not pace, be brave but not greedy, and for the love of god, Don't Be Shit.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    WtG - ive been ticking over with some short and easy running whilst ive struggled to get rid of this lurgy,  probably a result of recent stresses.

CM - i feel your 3.0X pain.

All the best for tomorrow folks, hope you all smash it. Whilst today is a bit wild, tomorrows weather looks decent (im jealous of that).

The lurgy is finally shifting so i kicked off 3 or 4 weeks of yeovil training with a weather beaten 20m this morning.
    edited April 2019
    Kudos TR - I definitely couldn't face 20 miles currently so top stuff backing up so soon after Brighton. 

Cartman - forgot to say earlier that I enjoyed your Boston report. The hills do sound taxing.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - but you have the contentment of a man who nailed his spring target,  i still have the sub3 fire burning, so have to keep chasing it.
  • That won’t have been easy in this weather TR.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - i got plenty of running into the wind practice in 2 weeks ago.
  • Quality 20 tr pleased all ok

another newbie spectator question please 
    if I’m south of the route at Greenwich say at cutty sark area - is it possible to get north side of the marathon route or will it literally be cut off? 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    2 years ago my OH used Canada Water where you see people twice and then Shadwell where you can do the same.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Good luck tomorrow all. Unfortunately I won't be running it as we've been sharing norovirus here (step daughter works in a nursery so I guess it's an occupational hazard). No biggie, though if it was a target race I might not be so relaxed about it. I guess I just wasn't meant to run a marathon in any manner this year!
  • Evening all. Apologies for dropping off the face of the earth. I had a few busy days when I couldn't read the posts, then there were too many to read back! It has taken me literally all afternoon and most of the evening to read it all. I enjoyed the reports, thank you everyone for taking the time to write them. It almost helped me get in the frame of mind I should be in for tomorrow. But not quite. I don't know why, but I'm just not feeling it. I'm not nervous, not excited. It's almost a chore to get out there and run the ruddy thing. Probably because I know sub 3 isn't on. 

Back in March I was having serious lack of energy issues. I could get the miles in just fine, but I couldn't pick up the pace, run uphill or into the wind. My legs had no power and my breathing just went insane. I ran my build up half marathon in 1.29.52. I had blood tests done two days later but it took a full week to get the results. As I suspected from my research, my ferritin was low for a runner. Normal for a normal person, but low for a runner. I promptly switched from spatone (which evidently does nothing) to ferrous sulphate. Last week I ran a 5k in 18.55. My fastest since 2015 and 3rd fastest ever (one of the faster ones was on a track as well). I nearly got excited thinking sub 3 might be borderline after all, but then tried to run MP for 6 miles last Sunday and barely managed to hold 7 min miling. 

I think I'll just go out at 7s and see what happens.  :/
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Best of luck everybody.
    Interesting CC, did you get the blood tests through your GP?
  • Sorry to hear that TippTop.

CC2 - my Hb and Ferritin are always at the low end of normal when tested (for an ordinary person) but Spatone works to stop mine getting any worse which is fortunate as I can’t tolerate the tablets. Don’t write yourself off, if you relax and set out to enjoy the day you may surprise yourself. I have no idea what shape I’m in but will just do what I can on the day, enjoying it is my A target after all that’s happened this year. Sure I hope to PB or at least run another sub 3 but if neither of those things happen but I’ve had a good day out (and raised over £400 for CRUK) I’ll call it a win and target another for a time.

Forecast has improved anyway - less wind though still a tad chilly for me!
  • Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    CC - good news that you found the cause, maybe not too late, MP in the week before a marathon never feels great IMO!

On the train to Blackheath, best of luck to all running today, might see a few before and then after in The Red Lion :-)
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Excited for all the VLMers, good luck one and all. Seems i am to have a day spent in front of one screen or another tracking or reading about the days events.  
  • Gutsy from Sinead this. She's in great form too.
  • This is so exciting to watch!
    exchanged a nod with CRAB outside the brewdog 
    edited April 2019
    Looks like some decent results and some close calls. Might have a beer or two to celebrate the achievements of everyone. Top stuff all. 

WtGY - what kind of state are you in if you have been at the beers since the start :)
  • Checking in to report 2:51:05. Missed PB by 1 min - cramp at mile 25 and had to limp to the line. Great day though, report to follow.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Backed up Paris with a surprise to me 2.46.46, really pleased, a lot better what I was hoping for. Faded a bit at the end but still my second fastest time. 
  • WtGY - made the day worthwhile big man.

As you were.
  • LMH - I couldn't get in at my GP so used my health insurance. They didn't do B12 so I paid for a home test for that. My B12 is awesome. Top of the range. I do finally get to see my GP on 8th May and I will still go and ask for a retest to see how much I've improved my ferritin with the ferrous sulphate. I might also ask for an exercise induced asthma test to be on the safe side, as apparently I whistle and wheeze when out of breath. 

Not a great day for me today. I could feel a blister developping from mile 10 and I didn't think it was bothering me too much, but perhaps I subconsciously altered my gait. From mile 17 the calf on the opposite leg was on the verge of cramp. I had to back off the pace to hold it off. 3.07.20 with a horrible positive split. Once I stopped and tried to move again the cramp came and I ended up in the medical tent. At least they fixed my blister while I was there though. With a scalpel.  :p
  • Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    Nicely done today ES and OuchOuch, sorry you had a hard day CC, well done for managing the cramp!

Race evening check-in - score on the door was 2;27:55 for a 95sec PB, aerobically the best I've ever felt in a marathon (av 163 vs 168bpm from my last sub 2:30). The time was ditacted by what my legs could sustain speed wise over the distance.

It was great to catch up with a few forum folk in the 'Lion post race (Selbs, ES, Lord Didsbury, CRaB, Race Jase and Marigold to name a few) . Proper race report to follow (possibly later tonight when I can't sleep, which typically happens post-marathon...)
  • Late evening (and well fluidised) check-in from me too - a 30s +ve split for 2:40:46.  The best race I've run ina good long time and a heck of a lot better than I thought I'd do.  Great to chat to so many of you post-race, longer report to follow. 

Al_P, that's outstanding.