The Thousand Mile Club - 2019

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Early 8 miles with 5 at MP.

YTD: 618
  • Cal hard to beat a nice NZ Sauv Blanc or an Argentinian Malbec. 

6.25 miles today

YTD 621.18 miles

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    References to some of the above:

Diet : I like cake therefore I need to run 

Drink: very little, occasional glass of red and a pint at the weekly pub quiz.

Ytd: 339.4  + 3.6 + 3.1 + 4 = 351.1
  • As I will be at the Expo tomorrow night and speaking on Saturday morning, I did a 10.48 mile double today (so much for tapering).
    YTD = 875.68 miles
    This means I will cross the 900 mile mark when I am near Temple underground station (24.35 miles) unless I sneak in another run on Friday afternoon.
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed some morning sunshine miles along the seafront in Sferracavallo, Sicily. Happy with the legs, but hand and elbow still 'leaking', and some swelling (5 days after tumble) but getting better. 8' of mixed pace but included a mile at mara pace. Might have a visit to another parkrun on Saturday, before returning back to UK on Sunday. Then just one week 'til Newport.
    YTD: 650'.
    Harmander...all the best for London!....and anyone else who I might have forgotten.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Yes, good luck to all weekend racers!

5 for me today, up to 295 YTD. Hope to reach 300 tomorrow.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    6 miles (plus some strides). Nice morning - a bit cooler again, which should help the marathoners.

YTD: 624
  • Afternoon,

Harmander, Best of luck for Sunday, the weather looks about perfect at the moment.

MrM2, Glad you are recovering from the "Trip" and no damage to the legs. Enjoy the park run tomorrow and safe trip home.

Donnie, Well done on the Park run PB, great time.

Cal, 600 miles, well done, I must say I don't really drink, but do sometimes have a nice glass of Port.

JD1, Well done on the PB at Erdigg, hope the head is okay, and over the half way mark now.

Dubai, 600 miles, well done, I know we have said it before, but in that heat, amazing.

As for my week, well I also decided to have another fall, this time down a curb where I went over on my ankle and have managed to really make my lower leg sore, this was half way though a 10 miler on Sunday, I ended up limping home at 4.5 miles "very cross" that's me being polite!
    That left me with a dilemma for yesterday's marathon, should I or shouldn't I as my leg was most definitely not right. In the end I decided I had paid for it, so I went along just to get some distance in, but to take it easy, I think I made the right decision.
    The marathon was by a group called Saturn running and was along the Thames at Runnymede (a lovely location, right by the river) 
    I arrived as always pretty early and had a good natter with many people I know, it is good to catch up. We set off and I run the first lap of 6 with a chap recovering from a heart attack, we were only running around 5.30km pace but were in the lead! a lot of slow runners yesterday.
    He only did a half and I carried on running with various people (Harmander, Kat had another fall and hurt her ankle, I swear she is a lability)
    Anyway I ended up finishing in about 4.37, but really enjoyed the run and came 3rd, amazing!
    It was a lovely, leisurely river run and will be back, hopefully when I am in tip top condition and might even come 1st.

Leg is very sore today, but I will live.

21.04.19 - 4.5
    25.04.19 - 26.2

YTD = 429.25
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Andrew....good to see the runs and miles coming along. Celebrate 300'!
    David C....Thanks, and congrats on your steady marathon...where do you find these mid-week, low-key runs? Glad that your ankle behaved itself; it might thank you for a little rest now?
    Love running by the Thames. Born in Brentford (that might have something to do with it) but at that time the river was very much a commercial waterway, especially with the barges coming down the Grand Union. Not sure that Runnymede was ever 'commercial'.
  • MrM2,

Harmander and myself both run with a lot of the same groups, who tend to offer mid-week and weekend events, but they are on the whole small, a typical week day event usually has around 30 - 50 people, with up to 75 at the weekend.

In my location South east, I have four that I use;

Phoenix running 
    Running miles &
    Saturn running
    Sussex Trail running (mostly weekends and Ultra's)

I also go to quite a few with Saxon's, Vikings and Normans, these are based in Kent and most events are around the Deal area, although they do have a few a bit closer in Gravesend.

In Essex, there is a group called Hare & tortoise running and in Milton Keynes you have Enigma running, although I haven't as yet run with either of those, as they are just a little to far from home.

And of course not forgetting Harmander's Sikhs in the city, based in East London, I have heard their home circuit has a lovely hill, and it is quite short, so you get to experience it many times!

You are correct about Runnymede not being to commercial, this was next to the Runnymede hotel, who have an event this weekend and were unloading some nice McLaren's onto the lawn, they didn't look out of place next to the multi-million homes by the river.

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Good luck for Sunday,Harmander,enjoy the the day.

Glad your hand and elbow are healing ok MrM2

Andrew,well done on your forthcoming 300.

Good result,David,and on a dodgy leg.You've had a couple of nasty falls lately.Went for my first run today since my trip,still a fair bit of bruising down my right side but not as sore and my head and face has scabed up nicely!

Good luck to anybody else racing.

26.04 - 6.11
    YTD - 522.19 miles

• Steven Morrison 2Steven Morrison 2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Hey all,
    Just dropping in to say Good luck tomorrow to any and all pacers/racers ... i hope you all enjoy!
    For me, theres been some running, nothing substantial or consistent ... i'll update mileage soon.
    Bloods came back as still aneamic (after 4 months of treatment *sigh*) but I've stabilised so hopefully things will begin to turn for the better. I have a 10K series beginning in a fortnight, hopefully ill be able to pootle round them.
    Anyway, good luck folks ... and i hope those park runners out there have had a good morning.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    David, one of the guys in my club just completed the Phoenix Ten-in-Ten challenge. Nutter.
    Steven...not great but stability is good. Fingers crossed for you.

Banstead Woods parkrun, because I wanted to see the bluebells (and they deserve their reputation!). A notable hill on this course, and all trail, so 26:04 but I'm happy enough with that. I did put in a good sprint finish.

YTD: 627
  • Good luck to all racers and pacers tomorrow in whatever races you're doing.

Hope you're feeling better soon Steven, well done on the marathon David

5 miles to check on the boats on the beach this morning along the coast path in Storm Hannah.

477 miles YTD
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Steven M2.... Hope you'll see some improvements soon.
    JD1...Thanks; there seems to be a theme going on here.
    David C...Thanks for all the info..
    Didn't realise how much my cold had set in over the last couple of days; had been trying to ignore it! So, forget the 'parkrun sandwich'; just settled for the parkrun this morning. Got going but feeling drained and stiff. Another Palermo parkrun, with just 25 runners. A relatively smooth route, but 3 laps, exposed to the light/mod winds. A whole minute slower than last week's! Three other Brits there.    YTD:653'.
  • Last update before VLM- with the 10.48 mile VSJ yesterday evening I will be crossing the 900 mile mark as I pass the 20km mark on Tower Bridge tomorrow.
    Good luck to all on the thread in whatever race/run you do.
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Hope everyone running today goes well whether that is London or elsewhere. 

Well done Dave on your midweek marathon. I think my mind would be well and truly blown if I ever found myself in the lead at any event!! 

Ytd: 364.3
  • David, congrats on getting the marathon done.

MrM2 hope you're feeling better soon.

JD1 likewise hope you're on the mend.

Steven, hopefully you can get sorted out soon, out of interest are you Vegan?

Hobie, hope the boats intact.

Harmander, good luck for today, know it's just a walk in the park for you.

25.4 rest day
    26.4 7.69
    27.4 8.21
    28.4 9.01

YTD 646.09 miles

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyone running today!
    13 miles (it was actually 13.13, but I can't be bothered with fractions) of which 6 were very hilly.

YTD: 640
  • Good morning all,

Was pacing for a 5:45 finish.

All of my splits were within seconds of the target.
    Finished in 5:44:50

Job done.

Next marathon - next Sunday
  • Steven Morrison 2Steven Morrison 2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Harmander the metronome ...  you got any swiss blood in you? Impressive sir.
    Cal - HEY! I need my fractions ... they all add up lol ;)
    Dubai - Nah I'm no vegan, it was one of the things the doctor wanted to know as well. My Iron-Folate count is very good - high end of normal. Just a low hemoglobin count, I just need my body to start making some more ... we'll see if slowly starts to creep up. I feel like a fraud there are people with real things wrong with them.
    And a hearty well done to everyone in here on their impressive YTD totals ... you're just showing off!
    I'm grabbing runs when I can, ankle is still grumbly but it's getting plenty of rest days lol ... Anyway, here's since my last update.
    13 Apr - 5.85m
    16 Apr - 8.25m
    23 Apr - 3.4m
    26 Apr - 3.3m
    29 Apr - 4.6m
    YTD: 126.9 Miles
    PS: At this rate I'll be lucky to breach 1000 miles in 2020.
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    It looks like the forum is attracting more posters and postings which must be a good thing, anyway our collective effort had fallen way down to  almost page 3 of 'recent discussions'  Thought we needed a  boost so  added my 4 miles from this evening. 

Stephen: sounds like progress and enjoy the up coming 10ks.

Harmander: hope you enjoyed yesterday  I suspect you did. 

Ytd: 368.3
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Harmander...Ace pacing!! Congrats on the 900'+
    Steven M2...sorry that the ankle is still an issue, and hope the other problem can be resolved. Well done on keeping up with the running when you can. Never mind the magic 1000, we still want to share the journey, so keep the posts coming.
    Dubai...thanks. After Saturday's slow parkrun in Palermo I was starting to wonder how long before I'd pick up again. So, feeling a bit better on Sunday morning I added another three miles along the seafront, near where we were staying, on our final day. Seemed quite a bit easier.
    Now back home, (managed to get an appointment with the doc. who checked out the last weepy wound. He didn't think it was infected, and didn't see the need for antibiotics) just had to check out the seafront, and the body. A comfortable 6', with 4' at marathon pace. The policy of 'active-recovery' seems to be working. Only a couple of easy runs for this week, then it will be Newport. Usually feel fairly confident in estimating a finish time (Not to the second, like our friend H!) but too many uncertainties this time. Might have a guess later this week.
    YTD: 662'.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Dubai,much better thanks,just a bit of bruising around the eye now.

Well done,Steven,good luck with the 10k.

Great pacing,Harmander,I did see a 5:45 pacer flag bobbing up and down in the crowd and did wonder if that was you.

27.04 - 3.71
    28.04 - 9.41
    29.04 - 13.18
    YTD - 548.49
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice work, Harmander. Which marathon is it next weekend?
    Well done all.
    A 6 mile recovery plod today as I'm still sore from the hills on Sunday (mostly the downhills). Hoping to get myself right for a 5 mile trail race I foolishly agreed to do tomorrow evening.

YTD: 646
  • Steven, hopefully you can get sorted soon, especially as you know what it is.

Harmander, congrats on another marathon, have to say London doesn't appeal to me. What's the cutoff time?

Been working nights the last 2 days so lunchtime running in the heat. 

29.4 4.35
    30.4 4.58

YTD 655.02 miles

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Morning all, sorry I haven’t updated for a few days. Since my last completed run last Thursday, I went out on Friday but after just over a mile I managed to trip on a rock and ended up face first in the dirt with wounded pride and wounded arms and legs! Luckily, just cuts and bruises but they have stopped me running since.

296 YTD 
  • Cal, it is one of Travisses at Gravesend Cyclopark.
    Dubai - cut off time is 8 hours - you could do it twice in that time I should imagine
    JD1 - I was one of two Red 5:45 pacers
  • 8 hours!!! I was wondering as a lot of marathons have a 6 hour cut off, was wondering if you were the ''broom wagen' to use a cycling analogy. 

• I've not posted for a while after having not really been too enthusiastic about my running in recent weeks for reasons I'm still not sure of, nevertheless I've still been getting out there and I hit the 100 mile mark in each of the last three months which puts me on 386 miles for the year. Perhaps I need to book a big race or something to give me some focus and a reason to train. 

April  114.38

2019  386.13