Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes I’ve entered....for what it’s worth I put down 3:14 and I didn’t donate the entry fee. It’s 26th April next year. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - bit later next year then. 
     3:14 should give you a better chance.  I did once get a place having donated my entry fee in the extra draw but don't think I would donate now as more fighting for places.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Young Trotter is through first 5k in under 17-mins!  Gulp!
  • The hell, just turned telly on and they still not all started.... I thought it started 10:10? 40 mins seems way long.
    Shades - I prob will go for a run just not til later on, oddly i have a aching shoulder.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen them on the coverage, but it looks like Callum Hawkins and Dewi Griffiths are running together as they're on 45:04 through 15K.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Big G - I think YT always goes off pretty fast.

I put HA on my tracker but she hasn't started yet, is she injured?

Keith - I think they have more waves now don't they? 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Shades/Keith, Steve Cram said something about they have larger gaps between the start waves.  Cram said it was to try and improve the experience for the masses so they're not squashed together as much.  After 51mins not all the people I'm tracking (who I know at least have picked up their start number) have started yet!

Shades, not sure if HA is injured, but I also saw she hadn't started.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    The start waves really help spread the crowded runners in the early stages but still overcrowded and the effect wears off as so many newbie marathon runners go off too fast or have been way too optimistic about their predicted finish time.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I'm getting a bit nervous for Young Trotter as each of his first four 5k splits have got slower.  He's just outside his main 2:25 target now, whereas his first 5k showed an estimated 2:23.  Fingers crossed he can hold this current pace.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Chasers has got over 100 runners involved - results this week are going to take me ages! Our leading guy is going great guns as is our leading lady.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, best of luck with that!  When I was doing that role for my club, I used to dread it for London - I was glad someone else did the report the year I did the race.  The issue was that not everyone had their club name, and also people moved clubs and had their old club name, etc.  So I was very wary about missing someone out, accidentally.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's a lot from your club, how many in your club altogether?

I think you can pull up all the club results in one hit on VLM website.

Big G - YT is doing well, hope he hangs on for sub 2:30.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed both of those races, but Kipchoge is pure class!  Possibly a bit of reality check for Mo, bearing in mind he finished over half a mile behind the leaders and said he was in good shape.  

Just watching the masses now and the footage on Tower Bridge does make it look very busy still - I guess that's the people who are hoping for around 4hrs and it's packed around there.

Shades, yes, fingers crossed for YT.  I'm nervous - I hope he hold on.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Needless to say outstanding performance from Kipchoge, he is amazing
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It's over 1000, I think.
    Looks like our first finisher will be our fast girl Steph Davies. She's going to break the club record. She's on for 2:33 or so.
    Big G - enjoy Better Call Saul. I'm just waiting for the next season to be out on DVD.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - Mo is being interviewed now and says he's disappointed with his run. He also said the pre race stuff didn't affect his race but then said it's all true, so he's just not letting it go and I'm sure it's had an effect.

I think he struggles when he doesn't win, but that can take years to get it right especially in the marathon.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's a big club 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    YT finished in 2:30:41.  Absolutely fantastic time obviously, a 10-min PB and a club record...but deep down he'll possibly be a bit disappointed with that.  He'll try again though, I've no doubt.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Wow, Steph Davis ran 2:32:38 - 2nd non-elite woman to finish. Incredible.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's a great PB by YT, he shouldn't be disappointed in any way with that. 

Cal - super fast run by your clubmate . UKA will be lining her up for a championship race with that talent.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    You can tell its marathon day,25 posts.
    Great win for Eliud,as expected.Simply a class above anyone else.
    Cal-I was looking for steph's result as her sister is currently working with my daughter in Oz,amazing result,and a great improvement from Berlin.
    Big G-Thats a great result for YT,he's only young so has lots of improvement as his body adapts.
    My beet shots arrived yesterday so started them,alls I can say is I'm glad it's only for this week and they better work.The taste is vile.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I did warn you, Ian!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - ha ha, do you have to take them daily until race day?

Maybe you should have bought the tablets instead . ;)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-You did indeed.
    Shades-It says once a day for a week,and 3 hours before exercise,as I'm just easy running this week I'll take 2 each day
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian5 said:
    Cal-You did indeed.
    Shades-It says once a day for a week,and 3 hours before exercise,as I'm just easy running this week I'll take 2 each day
    Mmm lovely, I hope they work!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Iain did 3:00:58 - great time, but I bet he's a bit annoyed not to go under 3 as it was so close!

• Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Evening all... 
    Home and showered and waiting for dinner so I thought I’d pop in to say hi..
    Had a pretty good run today and was keeping my splits fairly close together till mile 21 where my legs just didn’t want to work anymore..think it was a direct result of not enough long runs plus at mile 23 I had to briefly stop to get sick on the side of the road and apologise to the people that had to watch it.. I had just under 8 min to finish the last 2 km but I struggled and finished in 3:00:58.. not quite what I had planned but I’m not unhappy.. it is a GFA time for next year...
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Well done Iain! You threw up and still banged out that time? Amazing :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Great time Iain. I thought this year was the last year, though... ;)
  • H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    Well done Iain, Great running, you can get your swim sorted now   :)