VLM 2019

Comments

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Yes and they then got up and left their parents to meet another day. Obviously an innocent family exchange.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    How many young adults want to knock around a big city with their parents in tow - and vice versa?

Nicko, I agree with you also, just kicking time away in the lead up to the gun... do you reckon skippy will return to give us more details? 

That envelope could have been from their hotel and also contain room keys.

Or it could have been hard cash for the payoff.

You know anyone can turn up here and spin any fantasy they like... This whole thread could be just one person with multiple IDs living out a soap opera for the world at large to eagerly consume...
  • Got my number, queued for all of about two minutes! The trek from the DLR station took a while though! 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Nice one Stu - I'm getting on my train in a couple of hours - better start packing :)
  • Quick a, the suggested arrival times on the homepage eg 840, with the pen opening at 940. Is it necessary to get there that early? Or would I be ok arriving at 9? 
  • Christine5...
    YES it is better to arrive as EARLY as possible - unless you like to panic about what to do with your kit bag as the lorries have gone and you still want to use the loos which have a 15 minute queue - perfect for a nice relaxing start.  This race is a teeny bit bigger than your local parkrun you will find
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    You'll probably find yourself slipping behind any planned schedule, H is right about not wanting to miss the bag drop, but it is a big wait after that. On a 5h start I recall we were 30 mins at least before getting over the start line after the gun went. My charity is gathering at 9am outside in the park if that helps for a group photo so I probably won't get to enter red until at least 9:10
  • Yes but the lorries close at 945. Arriving at 8.40, when my wave wont be let into pens until 940 and then have to wait to start until 1020 to start... 

• Thanks @lowrez , very helpful
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Thanks too Christine I didn't have the lorry close stat in my head. Last year I was queuing for the loos and everyone suddenly bolted for the pens. The frantic switch of queueing seemed a little OTT to me so I had the choice of many portaloos all of a sudden and continued with my intended purpose against the overwhelming urge to follow the crowd. There was still masses of time to pop to the loo and stroll over to the milling crowd all of whom had not yet ascended into the pen road :)
  • I guess we all have a different approach - mine is simply based on my personal experience.
    I have learnt so much from others when I hear answers to my questions that I didn't wish to hear.
  • Christine5Christine5 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Christine5...
    This race is a teeny bit bigger than your local parkrun you will find

I am not arguing with your experience. But I also am aware that it’s bigger than a park run.
  • Well i was impressed with the bib collection for the green's.... bibs printed quickly, they had to manually enter my number for a chip, but that was all good too. Enjoyed the talk by Martin Yelling, been following his live Q&A in the run up to the event. 

Just wondered if anyone knows is the start area muddy?? wondering if best to change in to running shoes just before handing kitbag to luggage lorry?

Thanks, and hope everyone has a good run tomorrow.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I like to put my racong shoes on last thing. Its a bit of a psychological thing, letting me know it's race time. 

However, I've never known it Muddy there and it hasn't rained much. 
  • Cheers Dt19, most helpful... think i'm sorted now....bring on tomorrow. 
  • GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Best of luck to everyone for tomorrow. Hope you all have a good run and a fantastic day! 
  • DT19, only Zone 7/8 on Blue start is on grass for about 100m if you are right at the back- the rest is all on tarmac - this includes the Green Start.
    Have a safe enjoyable run everyone.
  • Night night and good luck everyone
  • Just a quick “good luck “ to everyone today, shame it’s not a little bit warmer but hey ho that’s how it goes, hope you all have a day, I know I will even though I’ve finally decided to make it my last London 😪
  • Good luck everyone! 
  • Just to let you all know they’ve opened the ballot for 2020👿
  • Very tired and very happy. Hope everyone else enjoyed it! 
  • Stu, I'm shattered today, was an amazing experienced, some challenging times from 18 miles, but powered through in 4hrs 34min which i'm very happy with as last long run was 22nd feb due to injury and not done much running since then. Would certainly like to run it again, hopefully fully fit with uninterrupted training to see what i really can do. So yes, entered the ballot for 2020. 

• Was pacing for a 5:45 finish.

All of my splits were within seconds of the 5km splits targets.

Finished in 5:44:50

Job done.

Next marathon - next Sunday
  • Fantastic pacing as always Harmander 
  • Fabulous event - well worth waiting 38 years to do! Thought the organisation was superb and the crowd support absolutely amazing (even better than New York).
    would definitely love to repeat the experience if my gfa time is good enough for next year.

Wardi- I see we shared the exact same time (3:36:25) in the 60-64 category! I was pleased with my 1 second negative split (1:48:13/1:48:12)  bet I couldnt do that again!

Well done everybody and look forward to hearing how everyone got on.
  • Hi guys, sadly yesterday my chip failed meaning I have no official time recorded. I have my finishers medal and official photos of me all round the course, and recorded the run on my Garmin. Anybody know if theres anything that can be done to get a time recorded? Thanks, hope everyone had a great run!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes contact vmlm as they know this can happen and as long as you have a garmin trace and on course photos they will give you that time. 

Good day for me, 2.57.56 for a 2 min pb and 52 second negative split for first time ever. 
  • That's awesome DT19, congratulations 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

Thanks , Portlanders. Still buzzing and wearing my t shirt and medal!