Comrades 2019

Comments

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    RR, wombat is not a runner maybe he can buddy up with your +1 :)

When I said black it is only for non-running purposes of course, Gay Ellis is with me :)
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Mac3, great idea re meet up and meal, top work

Lingela, Friday 7th June @ 18:30 - https://www.tsogosun.com/lingela

Mac3 + 1
    becca7
    McHilly
    1owrez
    jkissane + 2
    Terry48
    Marty74 +1
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to hearing your Excel exploits Thomas, hope you are not too worn out, my train was 15 minutes late, thanks again SS for rescuing me from that mayhem :)
  • On my way - if I'm not there when you order, , superfood salad and a side of sweet potato fries!
  • I'm there. Not sure who I'm looking for. Inside by till. Any help?
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks Lowrez for organising this evening, was great to meet up with everyone. Hope all who are running tomorrow have an amazing time, I’ll be enjoying watching and supporting you all when you’re in the final 100m !
  • Agree - thanks, Lowrez, it was good to meet up. Feels strange knowing I won't be in Durban in June!
  • Great evening yesterday.. Thanks Lowrez
    Well done to all the runners today wherever you were. Missed you by minutes at about mile 9 Lowrez.

Thomas - Looks like you had a good run. My friend and I spent about 15 minutes looking at runners numbers for you when the main crowd came through but it was a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack, but we were looking for black shorts and a grey top!!!

Dannirr - well done for keeping your friend company. Hope you enjoyed it.

McHilly - hope you enjoyed your grandstand view :)

Great to see RR and Debra too.

• Amazingly I failed to spot Lowrez today - but I did see Becca (don't think she saw me!) at just after mile 25.
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    The grandstand view was awesome, Danni please pass on my thanks for the ticket! Seeing all the kids races and the elites was amazing, and the masses inspirational, I did manage to spot Lowrez, and severa others, but also missed many (including a 3 person sausage dog that I was looking out for!)
  • SS  that is an amazing achievement... love the photos
  • Love the idea of a buffet meal as the slow service and late night were worrying me as we have an early get up on the Saturday to get to the thousand hills parkrun.. We thought we would have to give the group meal a miss but the venue looks a great idea.. will check with my OH tonight and confirm later..

managed to get out and run 3 miles, so training is starting with earnest from today../ For the next 2 weeks I dont have any work , just revision and exams for my finals so can hopefully get lots of short runs in to get my legs working...
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Robor Scaffold Marathon, formerly the SlowMag marathon, for me. (In Benoni, Gauteng, SA),

Get up 2:30
    Leave home 3:10
    Arrive at venue at and park 20m from the Start Line 5:00
    Enter at the venue done and back in car by 5:25
    Snooze/ get changed/ faff around until 6:20
    Arrive at start line 6:21
    Start by a shotgun being fired 6:30

Its a 2 lap race at around 1800m above sea-level with probably 300m elevation change. The first 8km are through tree lined avenue, then open road and then down into a golf estate and then up back into open road 

I had a 3x 1 minute walks in the first 30km and it was comfortable until then.  I'm happy with that as 26km is normally the point at which I start to struggle.  Thereafter I slowed and had to walk more frequently particularly up the hills.  I was very tired at the end, but not so bad.  Still my endurance is not where it should be, but there is still time.  My hip is a little sore, but should be manageable

There is now 6 weeks until the big day.  With another 4 weeks of increasing training I should be alright for a Comrades finish if there are no setbacks

Happily I could get my best time since March 2018 with 4:14 and 30 minutes faster than my last marathon.  That was my previous pen H qualifier and so now into pen F.

I'd better start to look for accommodation...…..

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Look who I found on the Red start.  

I set out to run my usual easy April marathon.  In the years when I've run Comrades I've had a place for Boston or London but have not run these races hard as they are during peak training time.  My times have become slower as the years have gone on.  3:42, 3:47, 3:50, 3:51, 4:12, 4:11 and this year was 4:16.  It felt quite a lot harder than 150 average heart rate running should have.  A stitch after half way and I think my right hip tightened up in the second half so my pace dropped.  I think this year's Comrades is going to come a bit too soon.

Excellent news Bike It.
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Well done Becca7 and Lowrez - very photogenic too.

Bike It, good to see that you are steadily improving. I'm sure you'll now do well on the big day.
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I've taken the liberty of adding Jock and Karen (at their request), although not on this blog they are regulars with us at these gatherings.  

Lingela, Friday 7th June @ 18:30 - https://www.tsogosun.com/lingela

Mac3 + 1
    becca7
    McHilly
    1owrez
    jkissane + 2
    Terry48
    Marty74 +1
    Jock and Karen
  • > @Southern Snail said:

> Thomas - Looks like you had a good run. My friend and I spent about 15 minutes looking at runners numbers for you when the main crowd came through but it was a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack, but we were looking for black shorts and a grey top!!!

Thanks a lot ! Yes - a good (but insanely tough) run. There were a lot of people. Lots of congestion so I can understand why it was so difficult to spot a single needle :)

Hopefully your husband managed to get his hands on an edible water capsule (https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/27/seaweed-water-pouches-will-handed-london-marathon-instead-plastic-bottles-9329037/) and if he wants to run 'nohtaraM nodnoL ehT' next year I found this link - https://www.iffleyroad.com/blogs/journal/the-uks-most-epic-running-events

Was great to meet some of you at Jamie's on Saturday. Shame I didn't get to chat with you all. Thanks @lowrez for organising.

Maybe I can chat with more of you in South Africa - i've qualified now :)

Lingela, Friday 7th June @ 18:30 - https://www.tsogosun.com/lingela

Mac3 + 1
    becca7
    McHilly
    1owrez
    jkissane + 2
    Terry48
    Marty74 +1
    Jock and Karen
    thomasclowes
  • Becca: great photo! Glad I saw you, even if you didn't see me - you looked like you were really concentrating on that finish stretch! And well done.
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Debra.  It's quite difficult to spot faces and at that time I was probably concentrating on looking for specific people in the crowd.  It's always weird at London, you don't see half the people that you know are going to be there but you do see a whole lot more who you had no idea were going to be there.  
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭

Great running everyone, looks like some fun was had at London (dinner, racing, marshalling and supporting).  I achieved the weekends objective at the Shakespeare Marathon, by getting my brother a sub 4 marathon and a D seeding for Comrades.  Wore my comrades cap but didn't get a single hit, probably cause you were all in London and it appears Max was WAY ahead of me.

6 weeks, 2 more long runs and the Windermere marathon on 19 May just to stretch the legs and because I have always wanted to do it but it always used to be to close to Comrades.  As Comrades has moved a week or two later I can do it as a long training run .. cause its there I guess.

• mordomordo ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone and nice pictures
    some good news for once as I went through last week with no pain. Managed 54 miles over the week including a 4 hour walk run yesterday totally just under 22 miles
    there is hope yet
  • Lingela, Friday 7th June @ 18:30 - https://www.tsogosun.com/lingela

Mac3 + 1
    becca7
    McHilly
    1owrez
    jkissane + 2
    Terry48
    Marty74 +1
    Jock and Karen
    thomasclowes
     Seren and Terry

thank you
  • Lovely to see people on Saturday night, and especially lovely to see Lowrez.  Missed everyone on here at the finish line, though I did see a few Comrades hats and a certain silver medalllist had a bit of a lean on my barrier to recover  :) . I hope everyone got the t-shirt size they wanted - normally we run out of smalls first but this year everyone decided they were medium and they went first. Grand day though, much better running conditions than last year.
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    The last 'data verification check' email informs that the last date for registering qualifiers and other changes is 2nd May, this Friday.  Otherwise no run.
  • Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    You were way ahead of us Peter! I did talk to one lady who was trying for a last minute qualification but given we pulled ahead and finished in 2:24 (scorchio!) I suspect she didn't. (Looks down sadly at spare tyre) why is it that I'm motivated to lose weight ...the 95% of the time I'm not eating stuff?
  • Well done everyone at London, sounds like you had a good night on Saturday and good running on Sunday. Well done Peter on getting your brother a sub-4, and Fido too at Stratford. I was pacing a mate for 3:30 (his PB was 3:45 so it was a big ask really) we went through the HM in 1:44:55  B), but he started struggling at 19 miles and we agreed to call it a day at 22 as my Boston Qualifier was about to head south along with his 3:30 attempt. All's well that ends well though as he fought on through cramp and groin problems to clock a PB of 3:37 and I, in my own words, 'scythed through the field :D' over the last 4.2 miles for 3:25:47 and a pretty much guaranteed Boston qualifying time (3:35 so nearly 10 mins under). Eagle eye lowrez will note my penchant for negative splits continues unabated :)
  • Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    Negative splits rock!
    There are a couple of YouTube videos up of Stratford, see if you can spot you + buddy.
    I see now the current drama is will Comrades be on the telly this year? Mad brinkmanship I *presume* but we'll see.
  • Bike It - That sounds like a great marathon for you (actually sounds like a bit of a marathon getting to the start!)

Becca - still a good marathon. Well done.

Thomas - That nohtaraM nodnoL ehT looks intriguing. Perhaps the only way I'll get to do it!!

Maybe I can chat with more of you in South Africa - i've qualified now :)

I'd forgotten you hadn't qualified. Well done!!

Peter - well done. Bet you're brothers pleased.

Mordo - sounds like its coming together for you too

Max - Well done. You clearly stormed the last half. Great news on the Boston Qualifier.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone - was lovely to see the folks I did and I missed those I didn't see!