Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Iain-Well done on a great effort and result.
    See SK had a great run and finished in 3:07,think a PB.
    Annoying the ballot is open now as everyone has watched or heard about it today,whereas in a couple of weeks a few will have forgot about it.
    They've changed the dates of GFA now aswell,it was 100% 11th August but now its changed to the 6th so IOM is out.
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Big_G - I’m not 100% decided yet. I’ll mull it over for a few days.. I know there are faster marathons so maybe target one of those but then not many people get into London so I have the opportunity to run it again plus it’s one I don’t need an overnight stay in a hotel.

Khanivore - I felt bad for the people that had to witness it. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Iain, well done for getting a GFA after a chunder! Sorry you missed the sub-3 but you'll get there.
    I'm in the ballot again although I'm already in for Manchester so we'll see how it goes, I guess.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, Iain’s gone sub-3 before, but is focussing more on ironman at the moment. 
  • Random question following today's marathon. I did my first (uninjured) marathon in 5:12 as a V50 and am wondering how much improvement I should realistically go for at the next one?! - I've been planning on aiming for around 4:45 for the next, and then sub-4:30 the one after. That I more or less consider my limit. But I only ask because after watching all the sub 3:30 runners today they make it look deceptively easy - *sigh*.
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Crap week of running for me - only managed 2 runs. Will do better next week!

Signed up for London Ballot - sucker for disappointment. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Speedy - I suspect you walked some of that if you finished in 5:12, eh? You can hack a load of time off just by not walking. For example, I finished my first marathon in 4:44:37 but hit the wall hard and walked a fair bit in the last part of the race. The following year I ran all the way and came in under 4:30. Since then I've been working on getting my speed down and currently have a PB of 4:10:42 which I did in Chester (2.5 years after my first marathon) so don't put a limit on yourself. I'm aiming for a sub-4 now, which seems almost out of reach, but I think back a few years and realise I'm running marathons at a faster speed than I ran half marathons when I started, so anything is possible. (I am a V50 too, btw).

Khani, cut yourself some slack, you're still recovering from Paris.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iain - great running, well done especially as you had said you were a bit light on the long runs this year.   You don't need to decide until August whether you'll run next year, but I think your GFA time will be OK for the next 2 years won't it? 

Those spectators will remember the guy in the pink socks who threw up next to them, but these things happen and you'll never see them again. 
     I once threw up next to a family having a picnic on the viewing section of the Forth Road Bridge, very hot day when I was doing an ultra.

Ian - good to hear SK had a good run, I didn't know she was running this year.

Well the date change for GFA has scuppered your plan Z.   Looks unlikely that Gloucester City will go ahead either, that was originally scheduled for 4th August.  That leaves you plan B-Y 

Cal - if you get into London you can easily do both, they're 3 weeks apart next year.
    Iain has done several sub 3 marathons.

Speedy - we all have our own limitations, genetics, VO2, general health etc but generally twice your half marathon PB + 7 minutes is the fastest you could hope for.  But that's not to say that your half marathon time cannot be improved, so with the right training you can certainly hope to get faster than even that calculation.   It really comes down to training, that's what will bring the improvements.  Those runners that make it look easy have probably been training for many years.

Khanivore - now you're back working you need to schedule your running into your life, otherwise you won't get to the start line of your ultra.

6 miles today, lovely morning with some light spring rain but no wind.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Well done Speedy. Did you enjoy the day?  It’s definitely possible to make improvements, but it’s not necessarily possible to say you’ll definitely do x, y, and z at the next marathons. But the fact you’re talking about next marathons is great! I think the key is consistent training - build up the endurance with some good mileage and easy-paced runs over a period of time, and I’m sure you’ll see your times improve.  Also, with experience, you’ll learn how to pace them better, what fuel works for you, etc.  Best of luck.

As for me, I don’t want to speak too soon, but there’s been a marked improvement overnight in the shoulder. Yesterday, the exercises I was doing were much easier and although the range of motion is still no where near what it should be, this morning I’m able to move the arm much more freely under its own steam (up until now, the exercises I’ve been doing have been supported by the other arm).

This may not sound much, but this morning I can move the arm out in front of me, and make it parallel to the ground, without pain, and under its own steam. Honestly, a week or so ago I was hardly able to move it, even when supported by the other arm.  Ok, I have to bend the elbow a bit, but it’s progres.

I still need to be careful and not do anything stupid as it’s nowhere near what it should be. And maybe I’ll take a step backwards at some points rather than seeing continual improvement, but I’m encouraged this morning.  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - whoopee, hope the improvement continues.  It will take a while to get full range of movement back but most important is to get rid of that debilitating pain that you've had to endure.

I reckon you'll be able to put your name on the transfer list for DD in a couple of weeks :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shades.  You probably know I'm one to overanalyse things, but I'm wondering if I actually made things worse early on, as I think I may have been pushing the stretches too much.  These last few days I've been doing the stretches just to the point of pain, where as previously I was kind of pushing it a bit through the pain.  The Saturn Running and MK marathons this coming weekend are definitely out as I still can't drive for two reasons - I can't drive on the medication (it makes me drowsy) and the range of motion still isn't good enough for that sort of long drive.  But Windermere (just under 3 weeks) at least seems like it it may be a possibility if it continues to improve, whereas this time last week it was a definite "no chance".

I do have a trip abroad planned in 4 weeks (no marathons) and I was really panicking about that too.  But that now also seems like it's a possibility whereas the other day I was considering ringing the insurance company to figure what I had to do to make a claim.    

I actually think the range of motion has been getting bad over a period of a few weeks.  You may remember about 2 months ago or so I was complaining about a dodgy shoulder (I was finding myself waking up with my hand above my head, but to bring it back down I was having to use the other arm), but I was still able to get on with life and run marathons etc.  Probably if I'd done something about it then it would have been better but I had stuff to do with the house move etc so just shoved it to the back of my mind.  In hindsight, that was probably a mistake!

Anyway, we'll see how happens over the next few days/weeks.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Just reading some of the stories on the sub-3 facebook group.  Some absolutely metronomic pacing all the way through the event, some big blow ups but just about dipping under the magic time, and some giving it their all but just missing out and being disappointed.  I'm obviously no where near sub-3, but it's really interesting reading that group.  In my eyes, I think of them almost as experts in running, but they worry about all the stuff that the rest of us fret about too!

YT has done a post and he's happy with his time and already thinking about the next one, which is Valencia.  That's not until December, so not sure if he'll try and do one in the Autumn in the UK.  I know a while ago he was saying he was going to switch focus over the summer and get his shorter distance times down before getting back into marathon training, but I don't know if that's still his plan.

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea and I know there are some other absolutely fantastic events out there.   But I still think of London as "the marathon" - all the hype, the chat, the personal stories, the charity side of things, the elites, the iconic course.  For me, it's got everything, even as a spectator or someone watching on TV.  Just looking out for the annual cheaters thread, and then the event will be complete :)  
  • Iain great time well done.

I was marshalling at 25km marker, much easier experience than last year, no need to control any crowds so was able to watch the race this year.

Some great results for some, 'Sir Mo' bib is a bit narcissistic, didn't see Kipchoge have anything special on his number, what a fantastic race from him, 100% he has to be the greatest marathon runner ever.

Only issues I had when running was to deal with a lead pacer who was struggling when he fell at 25km, just encouraged him to sit up and breathe through his nose before directing him to the drinks station where he would be taken back to the hotel.

Another runner was shivering and struggling and asking for help, as he was able to walk felt best to get him 600m to the 1st aid tent.  Managed to find a cap on the floor, walked past a clothes bank and ripped open a bag found a jumper put that round him.  Had to tell him a few white lies to get him into St Johns as he was concerned about not being allowed to finish or be DQ.  Checked the results today unfortunately he didn't get any further.

The clean up of the race were infront of the final 7.30 pacer which wasn't nice for them as they all seemed concerned but glad to see the 25km marker still intact just no blue line and the roads been swept as they completed their run.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, glad the day went well for you too.  It can't be a nice experience for those at the back just near the sweeper, but I suppose the organisers have to the draw the line somewhere.  Do you know what time the pacers went up to - pretty sure I saw a 6:30 pacer on the coverage.  A couple of my running friends have entered the ballot and have put 6hrs down in the hope it may give them a better chance of getting a place.  They're sub-4 runners and I just think that running from the back like that would be a really crap experience.  I made my way through the pack at York after a "toilet issue" before the gun went off and it was dreadful - a really frustrating race for the first 10 miles or so, as the crowds were bad and it would be a lot worse at London.  I really want to do London again and for me at the moment ballot is my best opportunity, but I would want to be roughly where I should be in terms of starting pen.

I thought the same about the "Sir Mo" bib.  I also noticed that at the finish he didn't pose for photos etc.  Probably he was a bit miffed about his time etc, but it wouldn't have taken much to just spend a few seconds smiling for the media.  Probably he just wanted to get out of there.  But at the same time the media/organisers built it up to be come kind of competition between him and Kipchoge, but Mo's not at the same level as him.  In fairness to Mo, he more or less said the same in the post-race interview - he said something about Kipchoge being so far ahead, but it pushed the other runners on as it shows what is possible.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry Robert - just re-read your post and saw you mentioned there was a 7:30 pacer.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it's impossible sometimes, especially in the early stages of an injury, as to whether what you do is making the injury worse or not.   Especially as in your situation  as you still don't have an actual diagnosis, so with Dr Google you're looking at severable possible scenarios not really knowing what is right for you or not.

Funny you should say about waking with your hand above your head, as that's exactly how I injured my rotator cuff injury although my injury was very minor.   It was when we had hot weather and I was too warm and half woke up, put my arm above my head and then fell asleep again.   You probably did the same and then aggravated it with all the manual stuff moving house/decorating etc.

Good to hear that YT is happy with his performance, and so he should be.   I heard a while ago he'd booked up for Frankfurt again but don't know if that's true, since then the airline has gone bust, so he may have altered his plans.   Maybe he'll do something more local before Valencia.

I like all the hype etc about London too, just hate running it, too crowded and too noisy.  But in all honesty it's a giant fun run with an elite race at the front and that's all they want it to be.

Re those entering with a projected finish time way slower than their actual times, does London allow you to change pen at registration if you provide evidence that you can now run faster?   But some runners will do the fancy dress/charity stuff and trot round at a slower pace but still want the VLM experience.

Mo looked like he was running through treacle up the finish straight so I guess he wasn't feeling too good and naturally disappointed with his performance too.

Robert - well done on your stint at VLM yesterday.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks the 'Sir Mo' is extraordinarily bad taste, but as I said before he's not that bright.  I cringe when I see him with that on his race bib.

Those runners in trouble at 25km must have either gone off like rockets or just not been well enough to run on the day, good for you helping them out.

Good Yogalates class today, first one for 3 weeks and I notice that, felt a lot harder today
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Iain - Great time!
    Ian - Superb 5k PB!!
    Big G - Hope the injury improves.

A week in Cornwall (wedding planning), did 17 miles and 90 mins on the bike on Friday, drove down Saturday. 8 miles on Sunday, then 7/13/10/3 during the week. Then this weekend 10 miles and 90 mins on the bike on Sunday after return drive on Saturday. Miles in Cornwall were hilly (obvs!!) got 1138ft in 7.1 miles towards Lelant on the costal path and then 1463ft in 10.2 miles towards Zennor on the coast path! Other runs stuck to the roads but still a lot hillier than I usually run for comparison my 13 miler at home comes out to 440ft in Cornwall was 1270ft!! 44 miles last week as a cut back week after 3 weeks of 50 miles.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Steve, great hilly mileage there.  Well done.  Hope the wedding planning went well.

Shades, I don't know if they allow pen changes, although I'd suspect not.  I don't know for sure though.

I remember when I did it in 2017 there were people cramping up and stretching out their hammies at 10k...they were in for a long day out!  I went out too quickly also as I just checked my splits to remind myself, and I went through half way in about 1:50 and ended up finishing in 4:01 (at the time my PB was 3:55).  It's so easy to do at London though, especially with the relatively fast/downhill start, getting caught up in event, the crowds etc.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - good to hear you're enjoying the hills of Cornwall ;)   Hope everything is going to plan for the wedding.

Big G - I didn't think London would let you move up pens, there are some big city marathons that will do that.

Right off to look and see if there's anything on the VLM cheat threads :D
  • Big G, 7.30 was the last and think it would be best described as a sweeper.  It's much more motivational than looking behind you wondering if the sweep bus it catching you.

Shades speaking with the ill runner (and also looking at his pacing) he said he'd paced where he expected to be, he'd been sensible with food and drink, hadn't felt unwell.  May have been something underlying. 

The media have hyped the Mo vs Kipchoge which is unfair on both of them, Mo is a fantastic runner and a superb racer but he's not in the same league, Kipchoge is from a different planet.  Mind you 2nd place was also inside Kimetto's old world record time which had stood for a while before it was broken last year. 

As for pacers, both red and blue pens had 7.30 pacers.  They added extra times this year which imo is overkill for anything 6hr+ as most will probably run regressive splits.  On the other hand I do feel the 7.30 pacer is a welcomed addition as it works having someone encouraging and keep them motivated rather than having the sweeper bus looming behind them.

On VLM being for environmentally friendly, they made some big changes which have been welcomed, one thing I noticed was that our volunteer clothes from New Balance were all individually wrapped in plastic (a hat, shirt, jacket and hi viz) must be about 3000 marshals thats alot of plastic.

I haven't seen too many positive comments on the lucosade in cups, this would be something best off in the seaweed bubbles, or I remember in 2011,2012 they had smaller bottles (330ml instead if 500ml) if they were to reduce these to 250ml that surely would be better?  I'll probably wait a few weeks but will contact lucosade, VLM and New Balance I'm sure that one voice on it's own wont make much difference.
  • Steve, St Ives to Zennor are some harsh miles! took me forever to run those!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, Barcelona bumped me up a couple of pens when I showed them my Malta finish certificate last year.  It was all quite low tech as they just stuck a different coloured sticker on my race number but the marshal did check it, and she let me in the quicker pen.  If going for a quick time, it definitely helps to be in the right pen at these bigger events.
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Well, that’s the VLM 2020 ballot entered..
    been thinking about it and I have my GFA place for the next few years and then my age group changes so why not use it.. the plan is that after my IM I’m going to focus on the shorter distances and when it comes to London next year, I’ll try train properly and see if I can reach my potential..
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Nice one Iain!  Is the ballot entry just incase your time isn’t quite good enough?  It should be though, shouldn’t it?  You’re quite a bit inside time. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Great news(touch wood) hope the improvement continues.
    Rob-Really well done on marshalling,glad the weather was ok and everything went well.
    Entered the ballot myself,ready for my 1 in 50 lottery loss again,they are again asking people who are within 5 mins of GFA to apply by ballot also,they did that last year but then it disappeared at some point.
    5 miles at MP tonight,just wanted to see how it felt again,felt pretty decent,just hoping it cools down a bit as it was really warm this evening.
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Big_G - as Ian says.. they say that if your time is within 5 min then still apply for a ballot place cause it’s not guaranteed. I’ve asked people on a FB page I’m on and they don’t know anyone that got refused..
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - must have been fantastic seeing the leaders fly past you.

Mo is a brilliant runner but I think mentally he can't adjust to not being the very best (at the moment), I expect that's why he want to return to the track as he misses the adulation of the crowds.  If he had more brains he could sit down and work out how he can get nearer to Kipchoge's times.  I'm sure in a year or so he could knock another 2 minutes off his time.

Brilliant they have a 7:30 sweeper to help the tail enders along, they are often the most physically challenged to complete a marathon and also often first timers so to have company and motivational help must make their day more enjoyable.

Didn't they have one drink station with Lucozade in the seaweed bubbles?  But they would have been a bit sticky.  I don't suppose Lucozade now sell their product in small bottles, bigger bottles, more money.   Do write to them all, I'd like to hear what Lucozade say in response.

I was on Lucozade's mailing list after I won a RW competition and got a Lucozade towel and a few other bits.  Later on I tried to unsubscribe from their mailing list unsuccessfully several times.  Then they sent me a survey and one question was 'What do you think about when you see the name Lucozade?', I replied 'overweight children walking to school' (I used to pass kids when I was driving to work).  Miraculously I was removed from their mailing list!  

Iain/Ian - will be interesting to see how many apply for GFA times this year.   I haven't yet seen many runners comments on success of GFA attempts at VLM apart from Iain.   Most of the runners I personally know failed to get their GFA times, they just slowed too much in the latter stages, most of them went off too fast.

Hilly run this morning, chilly only 5 degrees but no wind.   6 miles 738 feet :)

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It looks pretty warm for the next couple of weeks, Ian. And I've a trail 5 mile race tomorrow evening for the club, which snuck up on me quickly!
    6 mile recovery run this morning. Often my recovery runs are really just easy-paced runs, but legs are still sore from Streatham Common so I averaged 11:11 for this. I hope they're a bit better by tomorrow!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of going off too fast,I'm thinking about Sunday,I was originally going to go at 3:10 pace and hope I did same in GC and get a negative split but that doesn't happen often,at Manchester I went at 3:06 pace and slowed too much at the end,only by 15 sec/mile but it added up.So maybe 3:09 pace? So hard to get it right though,its literally a couple of secs/mile.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Rob - Yeah, there was a lot of walking in that section, I would have got further along, but lost the coast path, so turned back :D Didn't get as far as Zennor.
    Shades - That is a hilly run!!
    Ian - Yeah difficult decisions, there really is a fine line which is just a few seconds a mile! I'd say maybe around 7:10 (3:08 pace)? Have you calculated your marathon time based on your last 5k? :D
    11 mile MLR this morning, foggy but about 5c....lovely conditions. 10:xx first mile then finishing with 8:2x, felt good.