2019 London cheaters

Comments

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭
    DT19 I think that's v charitable of you? Stepping of the course after Tower Bridge you'd have the option of running/walking 5 miles to your left or getting a tube though?
  • I'm with you, DT19.  Not all of those who take the short route home are premeditated, and they don't all go on FB telling everyone how great they are and showing off their medal.  Obviously they need to be removed from the results but aside from that I'd let them be.

Tommy the Clown though, pie him.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

It is interesting that one as if you look at Arjuns number it has an M for male on it. A quick search in the 2018 results of that number and it appears Arjun Khanal run it using last years number.

Im reporting that!

• I got a bit annoyed this morning reading about Love Island 'star' Georgia Harrison, who managed to complete the marathon in just over 4 hours despite doing basically no training and rolling in at 3am a couple of nights before.

Had a look at her photos and it seems like a man called Arjun is wearing her number (57446) in the photos from earlier in the race, and then she is only in photos right near the finish.

Couldn't figure out if the Arjun man had another number not caught by the camera, but really don't think he did!
    Was just looking at him, it looks like a navy border at the bottom so possibly using last year's number?? guess once they have more photos uploaded it will be easier to see 

9356 on the other hand if you have a look at his photos, genuine runner Joe with his name on but the other guy in purple even the numbers don't look the same they are all spaced out so think he must have made his own number 
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    It's no doubt been suggested before, but how hard can it be (ooer missus) for the organizers to automatically flag those who missed timing mats and exclude them from the provisional results? They could then check the splits (as we've done) and reinstate the genuine ones soon after. 

That said, it could sound the death knell for fun threads like these ... so forget I mentioned it!
  • I got a bit annoyed this morning reading about Love Island 'star' Georgia Harrison, who managed to complete the marathon in just over 4 hours despite doing basically no training and rolling in at 3am a couple of nights before.

Had a look at her photos and it seems like a man called Arjun is wearing her number (57446) in the photos from earlier in the race, and then she is only in photos right near the finish.

Couldn't figure out if the Arjun man had another number not caught by the camera, but really don't think he did!

There's an Arjun in the results for 2018 with that number.  It looks like he used it again this year. 
  • Ynnec said:

That said, it could sound the death knell for fun threads like these ... so forget I mentioned it!
    I always enjoy reading this thread 

I think my other bug bear is people like 5938 who seems to have got a podium place age category, now unless I'm mistaken Georgia looks really good for her age and appears quite butch maybe that's meant to be more youthful looking, but has probably deprived the 4th placed person out of 3rd place
  • > @"Cheerful Dave" said:
    > runnyrunrun123 said:
    >
    >
    > I got a bit annoyed this morning reading about Love Island 'star' Georgia Harrison, who managed to complete the marathon in just over 4 hours despite doing basically no training and rolling in at 3am a couple of nights before.
    >
    >
    >
    > Had a look at her photos and it seems like a man called Arjun is wearing her number (57446) in the photos from earlier in the race, and then she is only in photos right near the finish.
    >
    >
    >
    > Couldn't figure out if the Arjun man had another number not caught by the camera, but really don't think he did!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > There's an Arjun in the results for 2018 with that number.  It looks like he used it again this year. 

I'm not sure - looking at the photos from 2018, I think it's just that some 2018 photos are turning up in 2019?

• I'm not sure - looking at the photos from 2018, I think it's just that some 2018 photos are turning up in 2019?
    Yes, it does look that way.  Arjun is innocent!
  • > @"Giles Bennett" said:
    > > @"Cheerful Dave" said:
    > > runnyrunrun123 said:
    > >
    > >
    > > I got a bit annoyed this morning reading about Love Island 'star' Georgia Harrison, who managed to complete the marathon in just over 4 hours despite doing basically no training and rolling in at 3am a couple of nights before.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Had a look at her photos and it seems like a man called Arjun is wearing her number (57446) in the photos from earlier in the race, and then she is only in photos right near the finish.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Couldn't figure out if the Arjun man had another number not caught by the camera, but really don't think he did!
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > There's an Arjun in the results for 2018 with that number.  It looks like he used it again this year. 
    >
    > I'm not sure - looking at the photos from 2018, I think it's just that some 2018 photos are turning up in 2019?

You are so right and now i feel terrible. Oh god.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    With great power comes great responsibility.  Use the force wisely.
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

no 71702 - has a 3h38 first half and a 3 hour second.

He's missed the same splits as the others.

There do seem far fewer of these anomalies in the results this year - either they have already screened out the worst offenders or people are realising that this is easily detected?

• I still think there's something a little odd. Leaving aside no photos of her at the start of the race, this is a "social media influencer" with 112k followers, who has only mentioned the marathon three times on Twitter? And 875k followers on Instagram but not a single picture of training? A Daily Star article that says she's not been doing much training, but then she knocks out a 4 hour run?
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    She's 22, into making fitness videos, and can apparently run a marathon with one hand in the air.  Much as the jealous me hates to admit it, I think she's legit.
  • I know of a cheater but I don't know what I ought to do about it... My partner showed me a fb post from an acquaintance of his who said they had decided to run 3 days before the race, which immediately aroused my suspicion. I looked up his race number, and obviously he was running under someone elses name, and he's run them a gfa.
  • andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    the be fair to her - i know i did a 4h:00m:11s  time in 2009 with very little training - it can be done. maybe just a a natural runner without realising it
  • > @Nessie said:
    > She's 22, into making fitness videos, and can apparently run a marathon with one hand in the air.  Much as the jealous me hates to admit it, I think she's legit.

100% agree and now I feel really bad. The bitter runner in me obviously couldn't accept that someone can do a 4 hour marathon without tons of training!
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Ooh, dilemma R&S.  Are the runner and the owner of the number of the same sex? Age group?  If it's obvious from the pictures that they are not who is registered, you could drop a hint (i.e. the race number) here, and let us "find" it for you. ;)
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Ah my faith in the RW forums restored with this thread!
    Always a delight.
    R&S - I'd drop very large hints that you know, then tell VLM...
  • Same gender, different age. I'm so anti cheat but feel very conflicted about personally snitching on someone... plus all the evidence would lead back to me here since you can't delete posts.
  • > @Nessie said:
    > She's 22, into making fitness videos, and can apparently run a marathon with one hand in the air.  Much as the jealous me hates to admit it, I think she's legit.

100% agree and now I feel really bad. The bitter runner in me obviously couldn't accept that someone can do a 4 hour marathon without tons of training!

Don't worry about it.  She's got 112k followers and was on Love Island.  I'm pretty sure she gets called worse every day.  And it's not like you posted "look at this, she's a cheat!", you just pointed out that the photos looked suspicious, which they did.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Same gender, different age. I'm so anti cheat but feel very conflicted about personally snitching on someone... plus all the evidence would lead back to me here since you can't delete posts.
    Only if they know you post under R&S... spill
  • Ah I think Georgia is just a naturally fit girl. I’m very blessed and I don’t take it for granted but I did very little training (managed two long runs) before the marathon. This was mainly due to a badly sprained ankle that had me out of action for 7 weeks. Still managed a sub 4 time - don’t get me wrong it was extremely tough but it’s doable. 
  • Timings for 30064 look a little dubious. Ran the second half 1:20 per k faster than the first half. Could have just been going very easy as they did get every timing mat but 2:08 for half and a 3:48 overall so a 1:40 second half.

Next runner with a time for the first half over 2hrs ran a 2:00:46 and finished in 3:57.
  • Oh man  - I love this thread. Thanks everyone.

There are plenty of reasons for a faster second half than first though - if they've hit all of the mats - how would they cheat ?  Possibly running with a mate who told them to go by themselves for the last part ?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Plumsie, at Munich a couple of years ago I did approx 2hr first half and a 1:40 second half.  And for the record, I didn't cheat :)  Yes, it does look a bit odd, but it is possible if the person just took it really steady in the first half.
  • fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    No Tom the Clown this year?  Pie him!!!!
  • I know him - or rather, I know of him - he ran 2:50-something last year.  I don't know why he did that this year though - maybe he just wanted a big negative split? 
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Plumsie said:
    Timings for 30064 look a little dubious. Ran the second half 1:20 per k faster than the first half. Could have just been going very easy as they did get every timing mat but 2:08 for half and a 3:48 overall so a 1:40 second half.

Next runner with a time for the first half over 2hrs ran a 2:00:46 and finished in 3:57.
    I literally checked his out about 5 minutes ago!  The photos are all of the same person, and are spread over the course.  Maybe he deliberately set off conservatively and then speeded up, maybe he had stomach problems that settled down.  But he looks ok.
    fat face said:
    No Tom the Clown this year?  Pie him!!!!
    I have the pies on standby in case he's found.  I suspect he may have hung up his incredibly large running shoes though.
  • fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    I think you're right Nessie. He was well known for doing a disappearing act during many races.