Sub 3h15

Comments

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    brilliant, OO !  (run & celebrations)  -  I probably saw you go by - my final viewing point of the day was the Embankment.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Wow - some amazing performances yesterday. Congratulations to you all and hope you're not suffering too much today.
    DT - well done on the PB AND the negative split; sounds like you smashed it.
    Speedy - that's a great result even without taking into account the issues you had.
    GD - congrats on the big PB - getting very close to sub 3 now!
    OO - that must be a great feeling to sprint down the Mall and go sub 3 again - well done.
    BIrch - unless I'm mistaken, a fantastic day for your son, too?

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Wowzers! It certianly was a fast day in London yesterday. Well done guys. 

Poacher - Sorry to hear about your injury and Poachette too. Wishing you both a speedy recovery. 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gul - yes, thank you - he bagged 2:34:17, with splits of 1:17:43 & 1:16:34.   A great day. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That’s amazing Birch many Congrats 💪
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Birch - that is seriously good - you must be very proud :)
    Things ticking over nicely here. Did 6 miles with 3x3x300m on Sunday, 10 steady yesterday and 8 with 5x600m today. Slacking a bit in April with only 169 miles; must be something to do with a marathon in the middle of the month :) Passed 1,000 for the year yesterday.
    Looking forward to reading some reports soon, I hope! 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Birch that's a great time for your son!

Poacher, sorry to hear about both you and your niece.

Well smashed OO and G-dawg. Great days running for us all.

I took a day off yesterday and had a massage etc, however my quads are ruined today still. Also struggling with sleep a bit.

I've bought my kit to work today but as I can barely walk I think I'll leave it in my bag. Scores up for April, 201 miles, never got near that in marathon month before. Only the 8th time I have had a 200 plus month.

I will do a report possibly over lunchtime.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    just thinking , as DT, and many of my clubmates are hobbling around on smashed quads -
    why does this make me jealous ?  :)
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Stats for London:
    Finish time: 3.01.47
    PB Margin: 4 mins and 2 secs faster than Chicago in October 2018
    Runners passed (1st half): 4033 
    Runners passed (2nd half): 1311
    Overtaken by (1st half): 8
    Overtaken by (2nd half): 2
    Total campaign miles: 690

This is how it happened…
    For every campaign I tweak something so that I’m not trying the same things over and over again and expecting a different result; first sign of madness, right?

So for London 2019 I adopted the David Brailsford Team Sky approach for the aggregation of marginal gains. Many small changes that can make a big difference. 

I paid more attention to my body weight and set about trying to go into London around 4 to 5 pounds lighter than any previous race. I got to 12st 8lbs, just one pound shy of the target. Box ticked.

I realised that in the back end of races my feet feel heavy, I slow to a stumble and my legs are fatigued. I know that’s normal but there must be a way I can minimise the impact of these factors. So, I investigated lightweight racing shoes with a lot of cushioning. I opted for the Nike Zoom Fly Flynit shoes. They have the carbon footplate for a better toe-off and more durable foam than the more expensive Vaporfly 4%, thereby suiting my heavier frame and smaller wallet. I also wore compression calf guards to lessen any muscle vibration and increase blood flow.

Next up, nutrition. I happened to read last month that the new v70 mara world record holder attributed part of his achievement to a new carbohydrate drink, Maurten 320. If it works for Grandad, it can work for me!

I bout a sample box for a tenner. Didn’t get on with the gels as they are difficult to take while running but the drink sachets were fine. I bought a big box of the stuff.

The plan was to go into London fully loaded with carbs and electrolyte. After 2 days of carb depletion at the start of race week, I started eating anything beige that caught my eye and popped a Nuun electrolyte tab into a water bottle a couple of times a day. I also had a big glass of beetroot juice every morning.

Training went well despite the usual challenges of life and work getting in the way. My key session was a weekly 10 miler that always had to be done at 70 mins or below. I wanted to feel comfy at or around just under sub-7 pace. I pushed these runs out to 12 milers later in the campaign and they seemed to do the trick, they really boosted my confidence with a few weeks to go.
    The other training kind of looked after itself. Lots of mixing it up so as not to get bored, interval sessions, long runs done slowly, some track stuff, tempos, and recoveries. I felt ready. 

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Race Day.
    As ever, us marathon runners become obsessed with the weather forecast on the lead up to the event. London was looking good. I’d always said that I would love to do a marathon in around 10 to 12 degrees. I stood on the red start in Greenwich Park and couldn’t believe my luck. Here it was, the conditions I’d always hoped for.

The plan was to repeat the successful Chicago strategy and run at level 7.00m/m pace and minimise the fade. Stuff it! These conditions may never happen again, so let’s be braver.

As I stood there, fully loaded with my “Carb Bomb” (to quote DT), thinking about my perfectly executed race prep, I got excited almost to the point of emotion. Another lonely campaign achieved and everything had somehow fallen into place. Let’s be brave, not stupid and just try and do as many sub-7 splits and manage the body when it tells you it’s in trouble.

Before I knew it, we were off. This was my first Red Start and completed the set. I was in Zone 1 but was disappointed to have so many slow runners in front of me. It took 5 mins to get across the line and I spent the first mile weaving in and out of people whose ambition far outweighed their ability when it came to starting position.

I managed to get a 6.58 first split and then a 6.47. I still felt frustrated, there were too many charity t-shirts in front of me. I felt like the only one there in a club vest. The blue start merge concerned me as I knew there would be more slower runners in front of me that I’d have to weave in and out of.
    As it turned out, the weaving got better and I settled in. Cutty Sark was unbelievable, the noise was off the scale. I showboated a bit for the cameras, turned right towards Deptford and remembered to take my first gel. 
    The Maurten “Carb Bomb” would last an hour, the plan was to take the first gel 15 mins earlier than usual to avoid total depletion. This worked a treat. I took SIS Go gels at 6, 12, 17 and 21. I drank sips of Lucozade when it was available but didn’t take too much so as to avoid sickness and drank water to thirst as well as pouring it over my head and thighs. This nutrition strategy management was by far my best ever.

The crowds this year were amazing, Tower Bridge was insane, as was The Highway leading towards Limehouse. Here, I positioned myself to the left side so I had the best view of the elite boys coming out of Docklands, 9 miles ahead of me. Awesome!

I went through halfway at 1.30.40, I knew I wouldn’t get a sub-3, that was never the plan. The plan was to start at a pace that would predict a sub-3 early on but if I managed the fade, I’d get a healthy PB.
    Canary Wharf was incredible, the crowds were the best ever. I went past some markers where memories of previous races weren’t so great. I wen through a system check and it all felt good. I was also now into the club vests, picking them off. Then I saw one of my club vests, then another. Each one a good friend and usually better at running than me but on Sunday, I was strong. I overtook a club mate at 19 miles and it was the boost I needed going into the final 10k.

By this point I decided that if I still felt good at 21 miles everything would be thrown overboard,life rafts, radio, sat-nav, life jackets, the lot, just me and the last 10k of the London Marathon, may the best man win!
    I took that final gel and the race was on. As I ran towards Tower Hill, I had this sense of euphoria, this was my day and no one can take it from me, no one. This is my home town marathon, I used to watch it on the Embankment when I was a kid. I was powering along, overtaking other runners for fun, picking them off. I’d never felt so good in the final 10k of a marathon, it felt amazing but did sting a bit. London tried to bite back, my thighs were beginning to complain. I refused to listen.

I overtook a club mate just before the underpass, he later said it was like being overtaken in a 5k. I could smell a big PB and it smelled good.

I needed one more sip of water before the final surge. This was it. I knew a PB was on, I started a wish list. 3.03 would be amazing, but what about 3.02? That sounds really good. Could I get 3.02? The incline towards Big Ben laughed in my face and tried to take my 3.02 ambition away. I fought back and battled on, running hard and thinking about the slope the other side.

I came around the bend into parliament square and hit the burners. When I say hit the burners, that final mile was only 6.45 but in terms of effort it felt Herculean.

I was captured on TV with 600m to go. My contorted features would scare a small child but did demonstrate the effort going in.

I turned into the Mall and saw the gantry. I checked the watch one final time…Holy sh!t! The waiter has put a free drink on the table at the end of the meal, it’s yours if you want it! 

3.01 would be on if I could maintain this pace, how good does 3.01 sound!?
    I crossed the line and bagged that 3.01 with 13 seconds to spare and in some disbelief. I was, and still am, over the moon.

When people hear my time, they are clearly impressed but then show sympathy and say, “Oh, so close to sub-3, aren’t you disappointed?” NO! I have never dreamt of being able to get anywhere near 3.01 let alone sub-3! It’s never been an ambition, the big ambition was always GFA and that’s well and truly done. I will continue to adjust each campaign and try to continue the PB streak. No doubt, sub-3 will be a natural consequence.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    And to finish off, thank you all for the continued support, advice and everything else we do on here. A continual motivation tool for like minds to share running experience both positive and negative. Great to meet the usual suspects in Chandos, such an impressive bunch. Same again next year! B)
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Cracking results, that must be the best sub3 ratio and the best set of results in thread history. Well run by all.

DT - and a neg split too - chapeau
    CC - ouch! Well toughed out and very solid
    GD - that's a huge PB on a not-all-that-fast course. Worth considering Berlin for the future which is the fastest of all.
    Excellent from Birch jnr. too
    OO - not bad for an old man

It was very different watching the race on TV for the first time. The way Kipchoge brushed off the very gutsy sub 2.04 Ethiopians was fabulous.  You could also see how angry Kosgei was at the slow pacing and other runners' unwillingness to do a turn at the front.

Birch it's inevitable that one is a little jealous. I was too.  Still unable to walk straight and there's the small matter of getting round 300k on the bike in Sweden in mid June.

As for Poachette, she was very upset about the DNS, had various tests with the diagnosis of too much pressure in the spine. No running for at least 3 weeks. It shows how tough a first mara campaign is, especially when the coach has you training for 2.35.  There will be other days but now she needs to get the track season back on, err, track and snag some more international vests.

Who is racing next?
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Xpost GD - excellent report, you laid it all out on the table then stuffed your face at the buffet!  I like the idea of marginal gains - that's what makes the difference.  You may not be worried about sub3 but it's worth trying to tick off while you are in such good shape - how about a fast autumn mara (October ideally) to cash in?
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Poacher. I have New York in November which will certainly not be a sub-3 attempt as I hear it's tougher than London. I'll still hit it hard but use it as a base builder for the next London campaign and go for sub-3 next year.

Hope Poachette is on the recovery trail and racing again soon.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    super report, G-Dawg - really brings it home - as you, er, did - in fine style !!  B) 

Poacher - best to Poachette going forward.  how are you feeling re the biking venture ?
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Yes NYC is a few minutes slower than London, and the last 10 or 11m are hard.

I'm feeling the bike venture is in doubt, which is bad as going to Sweden is an expensive undertaking. For various reasons it will involve riding 30k to the start, then 300k, then 30k back to base. Alarming!  And planning to walk from the Eiger to the Matterhorn with MrsP in September, which is also an expensive undertaking. Efforts to regain fitness must focus on that with running on hold for the summer.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    I wish you well with your efforts, Poacher  . . . .   
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Thanks - less worried about the knee than about what happens when MrsP finds out I have accidentally bought yet another bike. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    What a lovely report,  GD. You deserved that brilliant result!
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Brilliant report G-Dawg and a very well executed race! Was great to give you a shout out on course and meet up in the pub after. Looking forward to next year already! Love the marginal gains approach and one that I also try to apply. Need to come up with some for Berlin!

Gul - Nice reps, its the 10k this weekend right?

Poacher - I hope you can get the knee sorted for the bike ride and walking

Birch - Absolutely brilliant time from your son!

I'm feeling really good post Manchester and this is the first week of full training with intervals and a tempo. 6 miles reps to do tonight. Having a focus on 5/10k until Mid July when the focus will be fully on Berlin. Got a nice race schedule lined up:

18/05 - Stratford Parkrun
    01/06 - Midlands Track Championships - 5k
    09/06 - Two Castles 10k
    20/06 - Leamington Club Championships Track 10k
    14/07 - Northbrook 10k

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

London Marathon 2019

So this was to be my 5th London and 7th marathon. Having run sub 3 in October my next target was to run London in sub 3.

I considered what I had done to date and felt that having spent 4 years training almost exclusively alone and making things up as I went, I was bored and needed to shake things up. In particular I noted that I very rarely worked hard in training. I was happy to do the miles but the biggest session I ever did was 5 or 6 miles at mara pace.

Therefore I decided to enlist the help of a coach to provide me with a different perspective and some accountability. I suppose I was a tough proposition for him as nearing 43 years of age and having just set pbs in 5k, hm and mara in the months immediately prior how much was there more to find. We started working together in early November and whilst a lot of his structure wasn’t too different to what I had been doing, he moved me right out of my comfort zone that I was in.

I don’t need to tell you again how hard I trained as most of it was reported on the forum. We targeted a few races over the winter without really yielding the result I felt my fitness suggested. However the focus remained on nailing London.

From the outset the coach drilled into me the importance and benefits of negative splitting and so I began routinely running to that in training, not just in sessions but also picking up the 2nd half of long runs.

The plan for London was simply put to me bit by bit over April and finalised last week. It was to start out at 6.50s to get through half way at between 1.29-1.29.30 then start picking it up and finish strong. It was also put to me that I should run without my HRM. He felt it held me back and gave me something else to worry about etc. He clearly feels I over think things!! I took that advice on the chin and went with the whole plan.

The build up to the race went well as did the carb load. I felt much more calm this time than any previous marathons. I am not sure if this is because I no longer had the pressure on me to log a sub 3 time or because I was confident in my training and fitness.

I arrived at the yellow start and did my prep. I decided to plant myself towards the back of the pen as there would be some very fast people in there and I didn’t want to get carried away.

It took me a minute plus to cross the line. It was pleasing how much space I had from the off, though I was conscious that when we merged with the other starts that would change. I found the pace quite difficult as I set off and began doubting my ability. Coach had warned me of this and told me this happens and I just need to have faith and stick with it and it would come easier. There was nothing noteworthy about the first few miles, I just stuck to the task and turned over the miles at 6.54, 6.50 and 6.43 (downhill) and went through the first 5k in 21.21.

Then came the merger and this made things much trickier as the red/yellow always seems to be behind the equivalent runners from the other starts. I like to break things down so from there it was a matter of trying not to weave too much and keep a steady line and get to Cutty Sark on plan. I took a gel at mile 5 though I really didn’t fancy it. I had made a late decision to not use the maurten gels and reverted to the high5 aqua gels. This gave me a little bit of a stomach ache but it soon passed, however it did put me on alert as to what was to come. The miles continued to tick over and the effort wasn’t getting any easier. I knew that with over measurement I really needed my average pace to be at or around 6.45 by half way to make target. Everytime I tried to nudge on and get the average down it really didn’t feel good. I went through 10k in 42.30 with a 5k split of 21.09 (6.46, 6.46 and 6.48). Some basic maths told me this was ok.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Next stage, tick off 10 miles. Nothing notable happened here and they came in 6.46, 6.42, 6.50 and 6.47 with the next 5k in 21.17. Again some maths told me I am pacing well. I still don’t feel great but take another gel at 9. Again it sends a warning through my stomach but passes. The last thing I want is gastric issues. Right, my favourite part is Tower Bridge let’s get there and really enjoy it. For some reason my London marathons always really pick up in that stage coming off Tower Bridge through to 20 miles so I have a very positive association with this stage. Things continue to tick over and I get a bit faster and start settling into it. Next 3 miles come in 6.44, 6.41 and 6.37 and a 21.04 5k. As I come off Tower Bride I really get my race head on. People are slowing already, or I am going faster.  I started thinking that this was it, just 13 at mp and it was my favourite part. Let’s smash the arse out of it!! Just coming off Tower Bridge I spot a lady with purple hair so immediately know it’s Speedy. I give her a quick tap on the shoulder, say hi then move on, I’m now in a really good place, I feel strong and feel like I am moving really well. I go through half way at 1.29.24, about 45 seconds slower than in Yorkshire. I feel pleased that I am sticking to the plan but now it needed to pay dividends. It is a huge risk to be running at your capacity for a distance that you know inevitably grinds you down and putting all your eggs in one basket going into the 2nd half. The miles kept ticking by, 6.37, 6.41 and 6.50. My next 5k split to 25k is 20.57. I try and do the maths as I go over the mat. I can’t quite get it but know it is in range. It is here the wheels start coming off for people. I am telling myself it is a matter of head down and do what the plan says. I decide I really ought to take another gel at 15. I am wary of this as I feel strong but there’s still a lot to do. I decide I must but take it slowly to reduce its impact on my stomach. A little grumble but I get away with it. I am approaching Canary Wharf now which is a bit of a Bermuda Triangle and dream killer. I want to get to 16, then it’s just 10 at mp which I do on my lunchbreak so it is easy! As we enter I can see a 3 hour pacer ahead of me and it’s blue. I think to myself let’s just catch up with him as I have a good minute on the blue start and let him do the work and pull me home in low 2.59s. This gives me some solid focus through Canary Wharf. The miles are sticking to form with 6.41, 6.44, 6.19 (peak Canary wharf gps madness) and 6.34 to take me to 20. I get to the pacer after about 5 minutes of steady chasing and realise it is ridiculously crowded and they are all in my way. I make the decision to ditch them. I pause for a moment to contemplate my decision and how surreal it seems to be ditching a 3 hour pacer that has started ahead of me anyway. You’re over thinking it, 20 miles is down, you feel strong now is the time to just run I tell myself!! The next 5k split to 30k is 20.52, again I attempt the maths but all I can get to is that it’s fine. As we come out of Canary Wharf I see what I think is OO ahead of me. He is a target to chase now. I catch him after a couple of minutes and say hi then push on. Somewhere around 21 there is a switchback and I get a chance to see what is happening behind. The 3hr pacer is about 20m behind me. I resolve to never see the guy again! I begin doing deals with myself as to what pace I can drop to in order to sub 3. I have a word with myself as I am thinking like a loser, slipping in just sub 3 is not the target now as this is being smashed. I start another gel at 21, have a few sips then throw it. I believe I have enough to get by without it and it has the potential of doing more harm than good.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Next few miles go well, 6.37, 6.46 and 6.40. Ok, I just need that horrible tunnel done now and then I can start running down the Embankment. I see ahead of me a club vest from my club. It can only be one person and he is coming back to me. This would be a huge scalp for me. I plan how I get passed him. I debate letting him know as I pass or just going. I’m not in a club vest so he might not notice me. As I close on him I put in a surge and open up my stride to make it look impossible for him to come with me. He calls my name out, damn he has spotted me and won’t let this go easily. I pretend I am surprised and say hi!!!

I keep ploughing away and hit the 40k marker with my fastest 5k of the day in 20.41. The official clock is on 2.50.xx. I start feeling tired now and think well even if I 8mm this 2k I am on for a pb due to the time it took to cross the line.

Miles 24 and 25 come by in 6.55 and 6.49. Ok so 1.3 miles to go. I decide to go cautious and not push the pace. Whilst it hasn’t troubled me since I took some advice on it I am conscious of my weird finish line phobia. At about 25.5 my clubmate comes by, clearly determined not to be beaten by me. I just concentrate on nothing silly now. Mile 26 comes in at 7mm dead (disappointed not to get the full set of 6.xx). The 800m sign has just been and we are onto the Mall. I recall the horror show from 2018 where I had to stop 3 times due to dry heaving. I put into place my coping plan that I have practiced for some months. I feel relaxed but I am not chancing it, I don’t need to.

We see the 400m sign and turn to Buckingham Palace, I hear my daughter scream ‘Daaaddddyyyyy’. I turn and wave but cannot see them. A sharp right and the 200m sign. No issues so I start opening my stride. I get towards the Grandstand and what must be 100m and squirt the bottle of water over my head and start sprinting as I can see the official clock on 2.59.xx. As I get to within 50m I start punching the air and going faster to which the Grand stand respond and I cross the line in in 2.57.56 with 6.37 pace for the last 0.4. Initially I felt unsteady but very quickly recover and bound over to my clubmate who beat me by 19s in the end.

So, that was a 1.58 pb from October and a 6.49 course pb with my first ever negative spit of 52 seconds.  The stats tell me that in the first half I passed 1398 and was passed by 355. I am not sure you can tell a great deal from that as the race needs to settle. The second half tells a better story with me passing 953 and being passed by 12. I have never felt so strong and prepared for a marathon and I think the advice to ditch the HRM paid off. I ran with my optical on but not displaying and that gave me 165 average with my HR very quickly getting pretty high and this may well have caused me concerns.

Great to meet the chaps in the pub afterwards and be immediately insulted by OO not only mocking my quite expensive running vest but also in polite terms telling me how he noted when I went passed him that I looked ‘quite big’ for a runner!!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    G-dawg, nice reporting. Always interesting to read others own individual take on what you have just done!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Same to you, DT, great stuff, mate. So many similarities in approach and experiences. Your neg split really paid off, great running. Here are my splits for the day, really pleased to see only six over 7m/m:

6:58 6:48 6:49 6:42 6:51 6:48 6:56 6:51 7:01 6:49 6:51 6:50 6:57 6:46 6:40 7:09 6:53 7:10 6:52 6:58 7:11 7:09 6:53 6:55 7:03 6:45 2:13

Previous best at London was 3.11, so it's a big set of splits there for me compared to 2016.
    Very interesting to see the overtaking stats, defo more crowded in my first half but to be fair, not sure it cost me too much time, certainly not enough to deny a sub-3.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    G Dawg that was a great report- you really have a talent for it. I’m sorry I was one of those who thought you might be disappointed but your attitude is spot on.

Sorry for my high spirits in the pub DT, you really did get it right in this race and all of your meticulous preparations paid off. I normally have Poacher to tease in the pub so I had to find an alternative in his absence 😜
    Im amazed you guys remember the race so clearly, for me large sections of it are a blur. 

The things I learned this campaign that have improved over recent years;
    1) more cross training (swimming for me) has given me extra strength and endurance without piling more pressure on my legs
    2) running 4 maras in the last 7 months has given me a stronger base and an ability to run more on feel- I had never had a negative split before Jersey, but now I seem able to judge it in nearly every race. I’m also able to get away with fewer long runs between marathons.
    3) I’m 2-3 kilos lighter than last year without any loss of strength, this must surely have helped a bit.
    4) Just like GDawg I’m a convert to the Nike zoomfly flyknit. They are comfortable, supportive and responsive and at £100, worth every penny in my view.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    What a lovely report, DT19: it's so great reading the good news stories, and really motivates me to keep on managing my own recovery and get back out there!  Sounds like you had a lot of fun, too :)
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Excellent report DT! I quite liked the vest, made it easy to spot you on course! Especially as I had a trial run when your twin came past!

OO - Interesting that you feel the swimming has helped as I am starting to incorporate that into my training. How much would you swim a week?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Stevie I took up swimming when I retired 8 months ago. Typically I swim 3km twice a week which takes about an hour.
    I'm not a great swimmer but it almost doesn't matter. I think it helps strength, breathing and overall fitness, burning calories without any punishment on my legs. If you have the time it's worth it but when I was back working it's a luxury I would have struggled to find time for.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Great reports G-D and D-T.

Definitely a huge PB G-D and great the way you went for it in the last 10K.  Don't discount a Sub 3 at NYC!

Brave decision to target the negative split DT but it worked wonders.  Who was the mysterious coach?

A great pick up of pace in the last 10K as OO. The  multi marathon approach clearly works for you.  Not so sure about the swimming!