Wednesday 1st May 2019 - Oh I can't take another heartache

Morning.

Lyrics - Oh I can't take another heartache

That's a shame OH. I have fond memories of running there with Els, the beautiful scenery and cake! I loved my week in Orkney and would very much like to visit again - it's just such a long journey.

Another lovely running morning here <<sigh>>

What:           hopefully a tiny run but probably a swim/physio
Why:            hope springs eternal but sensible head will win/calves need help
Last hard:    not being able to run for a couple of days
Last rest:     30/4

Yesterday's lyrics - Solid by Ashford and Simpson.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Morning lmh

What: maybe a short run/walk to coop to get change
    Why: need£ coins for the ultrasound machine (though last time we went they just gave them free after we'd collected loads of coins!)
    Last hard: waiting for today
    Lyrics; yes!

20 week scan today. I'm excited to see him/her again :)

Are the calves at least easing lmh?
    Oh I'd also love to visit Orkney but it really is a long long way away!

Ale how is the Achilles?

Have a lovely day all
  • Exciting emzap! Calves are definitely easing, the early hours walk from bedroom to bathroom was accomplished with much less holding on to/bouncing off the furniture. Just about to walk Grace and hoping that loosens things off even more, I'd really rather not have to resort to the swimming pool.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Lovely pics yesterday OH. Would love to visit Orkney, my OH just made approving noises to your pics, so maybe I should work on him. I like to do both scenic and city races.

Enjoy the scan Emz, are you going to find out if him or her?

Hope the walk with Grace helps the calves LMH. 

Have a nice day all.

What: no run today
    Why: day trip to Zermatt, need to use up a cheap ticket and it is a bank holiday here today.
    Lyrics: no
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Morning! A slightly overcast start here but feels warm enough. Going to continue to find my house under the mess. Got a skip coming to clear stuff from the garden. We've been making room for a trampoline for the boys. 

Emz.....exciting day! Hearing your news takes me back a few years and brings back happy memories. 

LMH....hope the walk helps and your calves continue to loosen.

Hazel....enjoy your trip. 

What: pilates 
    Why: because it's Wednesday and I am stiff and aching (old age and dry rot?) 

Lyrics....no 
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning All
    Emz - ohhh very exciting
    OH - Do you do that deliberately? Sat here in my concrete box with barely a shutter of light.....
    Looks stunning, I keep saying to Mrs D we'll have to head North, north one year

What - easy lunchtime, coaching village rabble tonight
    Why - recovery/taper, routine
    last rest - Friday
    last hard - Yesterday, club night. 5min / 5x1 min/5min / 5x1min /5 min
    Didn't go full beans, but good to get the wheels spinning again.
    lyric - perhaps

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Morning!

Sounds like there should be a thread meet up on Orkney! Count me in!

Hope all goes well, Emz

Sounds like some improvement, LMH!

What: supposed to be something quicker

Why: need to work on speed, although it is a difficult balance between that and the nagging Achilles. That was better yesterday than I expected after the longer run, but still aware of it; suspect I will be even more aware of it tomorrow.

Rain here, which I wasn't expecting, and now showers are forecast all morning. Gardening plans on hold! The joys of ironing and cleaning instead I suspect!

April figures: 30 days run, 165.88 km covered (so would have been the highest month so far this year if there had been another day!), 4 parkruns.

Wabo: all is not lost Spurs-wise! Did you go? Assembly League tomorrow?
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Exciting, em 😀

Nice April stats, ale.

Enjoy your trip, Hazel. Bank holiday here too and typical rubbish weather.

Sounds like a good session, Dustin.

Glad your calves are easing, LMH. I can still feel mine going down the stairs.

I managed to brush my teeth without fainting today so things are looking up :) Hard to believe how much a shitty little virus can take out of you.

What: more of nothing
    Why: virus
    Last hard: everything is a bit of an effort
    Last rest: yesterday
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning all
    chick glad you're on the up
    OH  photos are amazing, what a great running place!
    alehouse,  meet up sounds great! Spurs - no not all lost, see when Son is back... Assembly league is uncertain, dil scan tomorrow (12 weeks) so I am on kiddy duties...
    Poppy,  lovely to see your running is good! Interesting what you said about calf issues too
    emzap  glad your legs are loosening - ooh enjoy your scan!
    LMH  sensible head I think, one more day?? As if I am sensible mind you
    Dustin, have a lovely easy lunch and enjoy the rabble later!
    Talking of Rabble, those Ajax supporters had their shirts off! Lol, amazing support

What: fantastic progressive run 3 miles, 11.04, 9.31, 8.52 pace, final pace 7.41
    why: I need to push myself
    last hard: that was
    last rest: 31/12/16
    Have a good day all, oh and I dropped some more weight, lightest in well over a year!! 

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    lyrics yes, two days in a row....
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Morning

Busy thread already:-)
    I would love to go to Orkney been further for me although not as far as Chick and Hazel :)

Wabo: Fab pace and well done on dropping some lb's :)

Chick Sounds promising on your virus oh they so wipe you out:-(

Ale great figures:-)

Em: So the Ultrasound scan costs money these day? ah the good old days they were free mind you we are going back....34 years :) Exciting time for you and OH.

LMH That sounds like good progress with calf.

What: 7.31 miles
    Why: Because I can and did
    Last hard: forgetting asthma meds so had to come home and then back out again;-)
    Lyrics; nope

I was a little tired so around 20 secs slower per mile but still a great pace so I am and achilles is happy as he was grumbling but settled down when I started running :)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Enjoy the day out Hazel.

Sorry you aren't well enough to enjoy the Bank Holiday chicksta. I either need the banister and one stair at a time or to come down backwards still but I can now go up the stairs nearly normally. At least you have the calves and virus together rather than one after the other so hopefully you'll be good to go in a day or two.

Nice pace Wabo and well done on the weight loss. Strangely enough mine is on the up at the minute. Something to do with eating anything that doesn't move quickly enough at the minute I think.

What's next race wise Dustin?

It is an absolutely beautiful morning here Alehouse - hope the weather clears for you. Do you really need speed work if you're worried about your achilles?

Hope the Pilates helps Daisy.

Far too nice not to go out so I'm just back from a gentle four miles which definitely got easier as I went though the left leg is still far from happy.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again!

Good to see that you were able to get out, LMH! re "speed" work, if I am able to manage the Achilles I will do it; if it affects the calf I won't. Not sure that it is really speed work anyway! I am gradually building to 4 x 4 mins hard and currently avoiding the shorter 30-40 seconds more genuine speed work. I think it important to try to keep the quicker stuff going as we get older and also believe that for racing 5k one needs to run km reps at a quicker speed/higher effort than race pace. 

What: 5k w/u in exactly 30 mins, off road; 3 x 3 mins with 2 mins recovery on undulating shale paths (685/672/700 metres); 1.5k w/d.

Why: see reply to LMH!

Turned out to be quite pleasant with a gentle breeze and even a little sunshine. Clouded over now of course!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Up for dawn Beltane swim at 5:16.
    Sadly no sun to be seen but 7+3 out for swim at 2 locations in Orkney.

cpd meeting at 8 then back to bed!

Probably an easy day hereafter (may skip track tonight)

Lyrics no
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Gosh, that looks cold, OH. Are the people around the fire those that were in the water?

Pleased to report I walked the grand total of 1k. Hopefully normality is restored tomorrow. I need to get back to work.
  • Work will wait chicksta - don't go back until you are properly better.

The only thing that looks appealing about that OH (apart from the sea and scenery) is the fire! It makes me feel cold just seeing your photo.
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Looks idyllic.....chilly too, but I bet you get a real buzz.

No pilates after all as the teacher was poorly. I ended up in the swimming pool for the first time in ages (definitely not as idyllic as your swim OH). Bet I ache tomorrow as my upper body strength is pants to say the least! 

Glad you are getting back to the land of the living Chicksta, but agree with LMH...make sure you are properly well before work (easier said than done though 😔).

Hope the Achilles continues to hold Ale! 
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Evening

2km run this morning.  Scan went well but baby was wriggling round so much we couldn't get any pictures, so no need for my pound coin collection!  WP in theory you are meant to pay for the pictures (£10 for 3) but last time they just gave them to us.  Machine only takes £1 coins.  

Daisy hope you don't ache too much tomorrow but good to rest your legs a bit (though swimming works them, it's in a different way to running).

Chick take it easy.

Off to look at a pram now.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Evening!

All sounds good, Emz!

Preferred yesterday's photos, OH! I think the tourist board would as well!
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Great news Emz....enjoy your shopping!